Merle Norman Cosmetics

Merle Norman Cosmetics Employee Reviews

discrimination
cook 1. Here I prep salads (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 25, 2016
As a production employee and you wouldn't go about being recognized for the hard work you do. seems like there was a sort of favoritism toward the office people within the company
Pros
good benifits lunch was provided
Cons
did not consider my well being.
Great place to work with customers one on one
Beauty consultant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 7, 2017
At my most recent position with Merle Norman a typical day involved helping customers select the best products for their needs, while also taking care of store cleanliness, inventory needs, teamwork with co-workers and computer maintenance.
I learned so much over the years...especially customer service skills such as having empathy with customers and their needs. Running a business...employee relations, bookkeeping, inventory control, computer skills and maintenance, management skills and problem solving.
Management was super as far as caring about each employee's needs while being focused on running the business as a business.
The hardest part of the job was having a customer that I could not satisfy, which was rare!
Satisfying the customers was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Flexibility of schedule & great management to work with
Cons
When very busy, not getting a break in a timely manner
Fun and exciting place to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJanuary 12, 2017
Great co-workers
Enjoyed working with clients
Detail oriented
Enjoyed promotional events for our clients
Conducted telephone calls
Greeted all customers with a smile
Nice place to work
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Working at Merle Norman Cosmetics was fun, it allowed me to meet and communicate with people all over the United States where the studios were located. The company supplied the employees with .50 cent lunches daily and we had a great working environment.
Pros
Having .50 cent lunches
Cons
Company not open to new ideas
Wonderful job. Great employee team
Beauty consultant (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMarch 27, 2016
Great place to work. Only part-time work. Needed benefits. Only worked 3-4 days a week and needed health benefits. My boss was super, understanding, and compassionate.
very loving atmospheres
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Very loving atmosphere, able to grow with company, able to work with schedule, too far of a distance for me to drive! Loved the job! They give you a great discount on makeup! Customer oriented!
Pros
Makeup discount, days off, loving atmosphere
Cons
Long drive, high pressure
Great Working environment and experience
Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 5, 2016
A typical day at work would be waxing eyebrows helping customers pick out make up as well as doing makeovers for customers. Management is perfect and coworkers are easy to work with. The most enjoyable part of working at Merle Norman is helping my customers and watching them leave happy and satisfied. The hardest part of working at Merle Norman would have to be communication and helping customers make a correct decision,
Fun and easy workplace with great people
Cosmetic supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CaOctober 16, 2015
I've learned the pros and cons about cosmetics, the management is really organized, my coworkers were really nice,the hardest part if the job was cleaning the machines,the most enjoyable part of the job was working with great employers in a fast-paced always working as a great team.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
no benefits, low salary.
A typical day at work
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Inglewood, CAOctober 29, 2016
People are very friendly. But you have to be careful with in your surrounding and what you say to the person next to you if you like them or not. Sometimes the communication sucks. The hours are really good.
Merle Norman Cosmetics
Hair Stylist / Nail Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 21, 2016
Great place to work. Learned a lot about makeup. Great team of ladies. busy weekends, Lots of mall traffic. free makeup lessions.
Great boss, great comm%
Best Learning Experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXJuly 28, 2014
Merle Norman was the best learning experience to expand my knowledge in multiple fields not only pertaining to cosmetics. I would handle all financial weekly/monthly statements, inbound and outbound ordering and inventory. Communicating with all third party contractors for orders to purchase boutique within given budget. Hiring and training new employees and in the unfortunate event termination of employees. I enjoyed assisting clients with their purchases and having them leave feeling more confident with higher self-esteem.

The only hardest part was being in the store alone at closing, some sketchy people would come in randomly.
Pros
Compensation, Bonus, Learning
Cons
n/a
I gained good knowledge
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Semmes, ALJuly 18, 2016
I learned everything there is to owning a merle norman but wasn't the owner and had the opportunity to own my own merle norman. I didn't because it wasn't good timing for me. It was a small business and wasn't making enough money and the owner got sick so she had to close her business down. I have been out of the work force a long time and its a concern for me to get back in the flow but I know I will be fine.
Pros
Managed time well
Cons
makeup artist is boring
first job i had so it was ok for a beginner
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 6, 2016
busy / slow..i iearned the basics of a hairstylist..management was ok...I totally enjoyed my coworkers..the hardest part was not getting call in fairly..the most enjoyable part of my job was ...taking care of clients and helping the salon stay clean & professional.
Pros
discount on cosmetics..booth rent
Cons
working with owner & daughter
I enjoyed working there because I believe in the product and love the customers.
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belleair Bluffs, FlJanuary 23, 2015
I worked at this Merle Norman Franchise for seven years and really thought I would retire from there. Although there weren't benefits, I loved the owner and the location. I got along with my co-workers. We were like a family. The hardest part was when the owner was struggling with health issues as well as financial problems.
Pros
Great owner, co-workers and customers. Love the product.
Cons
The store closed.
Cosmetic studio, salon, and spa.
Makeup Artist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 17, 2013
We strive to give customers a one of a kind experience when coming to our studio. Merle Norman has a 'try before you buy' philosophy so we treat the customer to a skincare or makeup lesson before they purchase their products. I enjoy working with different people on a daily basis. I am a part of a great team that works together very well.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
no benefits
Very good company to work for
Owner/General Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, TXJuly 11, 2016
I enjoy selling high quality cosmetics and superb skin care at an affordable price. It's nice to work with one vendor. It's wonderful to be able to talk to a person at Merle Norman instead of a machine!
Pros
Fun, Easy job
Fun place to work
Beauty Consultant & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MINovember 20, 2014
I enjoy the customers and the low stress environment. I wish there was a way to advance either in position or compensation.
Pros
the hours of opperation
Cons
My long commute
Quarter lunch
Sr. Cosmetic Compounder (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 12, 2013
Fast Pace Work under pressure.Too much work not enough time to do it, No overtime is allowed.
Pros
Cheap Lunch
Cons
No salary increases
Best Job I ever Had!!!
Independent Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grove, OKJanuary 23, 2016
We were a small store in a tourist town. I was in high school when I was employed with Merle Norman, and a year later, I am certain it was the best job I have ever had.
Typically, we came in 15 minutes early to open the store. During the day, we cleaned and assisted customers with product selection and check out. If it was a special day, we were able to do a makeover, which included a small and personal lecture on skincare, and a tutorial on the application of makeup.
I learned how to communicate with customers and how to achieve sales.
The store was owned by a wonderful lady. She was kind and funny, and a joy to be around. There was an air of class about her that radiated through the store. My coworker was an experienced cosmetologist, and she had a lot to teach me. I enjoyed working with both ladies!
The only hard thing about this job was learning about each product, individually. But, it was also one of the most enjoyable things.
I truly loved everything about that store. It was an amazing experience.
Pros
Discount on product, sales education, best boss ever
Cons
store had to close. :(
Fast paced with great co-workers
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALOctober 6, 2015
Very enjoyable job. All employees must be very educated about ALL products as well as makeup artistry skills and basic skin physiology . The store manager is a very good teacher and a fair boss. Work schedule is typical retail type schedule so I almost always worked on the weekend. Pay is very low, basically minimum wage, with a opportunity to earn commission but the pay checks don't make much sense and it seems very unfair. Typically the store doesn't exactly have a steady flow of customers but will be slow for a long time and then suddenly busy for a long time. Makeovers and lessons are regularly performed. Free facials are offered too. I learned a lot about proper technique for applying makeup to a customer and sanitation rules. Overall it was a very enjoyable job if you're okay with a low pay.
Pros
Able to earn store credit
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merle Norman Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2