MERRILL GARDENS Employee Reviews

Great place if you love working with seniors
Receptionist (Current Employee), Santa Maria, COJune 11, 2015
Pros: It takes every department in the community to make the seniors comfortable in their new lives.
Cons: Not everyone is a team player
A typical day at work. I loved every part of my job for almost 6 years. I enjoyed the residents and I enjoyed the co-workers.
Every day is different, you learn something new every day, ..
Management is necessary in a business as long as they have compassion and understanding with residents and employees.
Co-workers are great, and work together.
A hard part of the job is losing friends you have come to care about.
One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is getting to know residents, with their personalities, memories, and every day living.
Best place Ive ever worked
Personal Pathways Coordinator (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 11, 2015
Pros: free lunches, best of everything
Cons: when you admit a mistake, you arent given a second chance.even if it was outside of work
This was the best place Ive ever worked. They have the best team of people who actually care about their residents and how they are treated and not just the bottom dollar. Very well kept, best care, best food...I would work for them in a heart beat if the opportunity arose again.
Fun, Productive, Rewarding type of work enviornment
Server/Team Member (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMarch 27, 2015
Everyday was always a new and different day at Merrill Gardens. Working here, I got to meet so many sweet and loving people and learn of their life experiences and listen as they tend to give you advice on life in general. I also learned to be more patient and understanding of so many things and oh boy do you really need it when you work with the elderly. A typical day at Merrill Gardens as a server was coming into the kitchen and having the cook brief us on what was on the menu for the day. I would then go out to my section of tables in the dining room, greet the residents,and get started on taking their orders. During the slow hours of the day, I try to get as many side jobs done and reset all my tables. When the dining room closed, my coworkers and I would split up closing duties, spend time on our ticket order sheets together, and then all head home..My co-workers were like family to me and we all worked very hard and very well together. We always had fun yet kept everything on the professional side.The hardest part of the job was getting so close to the residents and then finding out that they had passed away. It's almost like losing your own family member.The most enjoyable part of working at Merrill Gardens is that there is always something going on! Whether its with the residents, the staff or visitors, you will never ever be bored.
Rewarding & honorable place to work.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), Vacaville, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: you learn a lot from our beloved senior citizens.
Cons: can be draining sometimes.
Working with our beloved seniors has been the most rewarding career of my life. They are the most respectful generation I have ever had the privledge to serve.
Loved the job and the company
Community Relations Director (Former Employee), Gardnerville, NevadaFebruary 17, 2015
company was always available to teach you new things.
The managers were very resourceful and great examples of leadership.
Dining Room Server
Server (Former Employee), Gilroy, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Working with at this company was very educational and interesting. The elderly would be friendly and talk able. They would talk about their life experiences and give advice on life. I would set up the salad bar and dining room table for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Great Company
Community Relations Director (Former Employee), Bossier City, LADecember 29, 2014
Small Seattle based company that was very good to work for in my opinion. We filled up a building that had just opened. Great Executive Director at the time and a great company atmosphere.
Very busy hard working for a ok ok pay.
Dishwasher/server (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WANovember 25, 2014
Pros: very friendly environment
Cons: low pay for hard working
Usually very busy, I learned how to use the the hot steam machine.

A typical day for me would be always standing all day, washing dishes, putting them away. Always on the move!

Co-workers and people are so awesome! The boss is AWESOME too!
I took care of and spent time with the elderly for a living.
Caregiver (Former Employee), Santa MariaNovember 9, 2014
Pros: helping patients, developing relationships, activities
Cons: combative patients, uncooperative patients
I absolutely loved taking care of alzheimer and dementia patients. I assisted them with all active daily living activities from waking up to going to bed. I lead activities throughout the day. My coworkers were like family. I loved everything about my job it was was difficult sometimes when patients would sundown.
Productive workplace and great company
Memory Care Director (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 1, 2014
A typical day of work consists of addressing the resident's and their family’s needs. I’ve learned that every family is different and that their needs are also different. Management has always been a passion of mine and something I’ve enjoyed pursing. I enjoy sharing ideas with my co-workers, my management teams, and learning from them every day. My co-workers are like my family. I always enjoy interacting with them and listening to their needs. The hardest part of the job involves dealing with the passing of residents. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping residents with their everyday needs and striving to make them as comfortable and happy as possible.
Rewarding Work
Caregiver (Former Employee), Monroe, WANovember 1, 2014
Giving people quality of life that they deserve. Helping residents with the things we take for granite everyday, and don't even think about. Like dressing or remembering to take a pill, and even going to the bathroom. There comes a time in our lives where we simply need help to survive, and be comfortable. That's my job, to be there......maybe just to listen, non-the less it's huge to these residents.
Nice place to work
Personal Pathways Coordinator (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great meals for residents and staff, best co-workers ever
Cons: no support, no job description
I loved working at Merrill Gardens/Garden House. We had the best team who worked together well. The staff and mgr. team in the main building tended to exclude the Garden House Staff and residents. the Main building staff including General Mgr. Do NOT understand Dementia at all and what it takes to work/supervise the Garden House.
The General MGR. Tended to make the Garden House feel like they are on their own Island and need to take care of their own needs. There is no support for the staff at the Garden House.
There is no defined job discription for the employees at the garden house either. Just do it all by themselves
Good community to work for.
Server/Hostess, Housekeeper, Dishwasher (Current Employee), Seattle, WASeptember 15, 2014
Pros: open community.
Cons: i live too far away now.
The manager at the time was very helpful, and he head chef was very understanding with my schedule. Even though both people left and now I have new bosses, the community is very open, and even the replacements are kind people. A great job to start with!
Assist senior citizens with their daily living
Certified Nursing Assistant Extern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 7, 2014
Provide comfort, prepare meals, exercise, communication, and in some case feed the resident who was unable to feed themselves,
good place to work
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee), Roswell, GAMay 21, 2014
good and efficient executive director. The work hours are cumbersome but the employees are good.
job.
universal worker (Former Employee), Apple Valley, CAMay 12, 2014
I did not like this company or job. the company just wanted to make as much money as they could from people that were elderly.
first place of employment
Wait Staff and Reception (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
While working here, i enjoyed every moment. I learned the most. I was able to work in Dining as well as reception.
It taught me responsibility; from part time to full time.
good company
Housekeeper Clean apartments and all other areas (Former Employee), Orange City, FlJanuary 8, 2014
Enjoyed working there. People were nice and work was fatrly uncomplicated. My boss was competent and fair.
Senior Living
Community Relations Director (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: generous salary and commission; pleasant work environment with seniors in assisted living
Cons: change of management
Successful company operates senior living communities across the US and has a formula to achieve that success. It was a great training ground -- sort of like Basic Training in the military -- and I am most grateful for having had the privilege of being employed there, learning their techniques and strategies, and developing my own adaptations as time has gone along.
Nice Enviroment
Director of Dining Services (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 3, 2014
General Manager left and took me with her to open a brand new account being built.