Merrill Gardens Employee Reviews

Alright but could be a lot better
Server (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 25, 2017
Okay company to work for although you will not be able to work your way up in the company. Management doesn't really care about staff. People come to work miserable and call out all the tine. Emotionally, physically, and mentally draining. Besides the good pay it isn't worth it in my opinion.
Pros
Free meals, residents
Cons
management is weak, get treated like dirt, no advancement, short staffed all the time
Very stressful, unappreciative and fast paced environment.
Server (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 11, 2017
This was a great company to work for when it was a family business. Major corporate changes happened and so it became just another institution. Co-workers were great. I love all the residents and their families. They have great life stories and were very respectful towards the Dining staff. Some not so much but for the most part they were very appreciative towards the staff. Management is horrible and that's just sugar coating it. New General manager and Head chef. The General manager is a nice guy; at times he shows no appreciation for one's hard work and can sound all too made up. The kitchen or dining staff are always short staffed. Someone always calls out every day, so the servers have to pick up more work and do with the staff on hand. No one available to call in or back up workers. The new Dining service manager is very unappreciative of his staff. Shows no respect towards his employees and has very poor work ethics. Good workers are always over worked and underpayed considering how much the company charges for rent. Hard to find cover if needed to be off. Dining manager lacks the ability to perform his job requirements, so the employees picks up the slack. Dining service manager also has very poor communicatioin skills,is unorganized and has poor leadership. Annual raises of 3 percent for almost all employees. Also that is the standard raise. Medical and dental are great. Payed holidays and 401k. Week vacation after a year. Great co workers. Lacks structures. Free lunch. Non smoking community. No room to advance or grow in the company. And the turnover rate for this  more... community is high. New staff members every 2 to 3 months.  less
Pros
Great residents, benefits, medical, free lunch and great co workers.
Cons
Over worked or getring burned out. Horrible management. Always short staffed. Lacks a leader.
not the best job
Chef (Current Employee) –  Washington StateApril 25, 2017
All team members feel it is a stressful place to work. Team Members are overlooked by management, small raises, no perks for extra work preformed. Over the last couple of years the company has really gone done hill.
good place
Community Relations Director (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLApril 21, 2017
nothing super good or bad to say they are a good company
not in florida anymore. they treat their employees good. good place to start i would recommend
Being a caregiver...
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WAApril 11, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed and embraced the residents at Merrill Gardens. They would share stories of their life as well as jokes too.

My main job was varied..from bathing a resident to guiding them into the dinner hall.
I learned that I could make even the grumpiest resident, smile.
That was some thing that really made working there pretty awesome.
The residents..always, most, friendly but always grateful to see you.
Pros
Clean atmosphere, wonderful residents, many activities for the residents there.
Cons
Poor management.
Easy work place, residents were amazing!
Dietary (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALMarch 26, 2017
Amazing environment great people to be around! Staff is amazing! Great work hours loved the residents they are amazing people! I loved the way they are so welcoming.
No good benefits
Med Tech/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, CAMarch 10, 2017
Need to have a better teamwork and be more professional. Be more respectful and flexible with the team members, also be equal with all the employees. No favoritism.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Need to be more organized
Busy place to work
Active Living Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CAMarch 6, 2017
Great residents love to come to work personal joy.
Hardest part of the job is not to get personal life does happen and you will get to know and love the people.
Alot of work but enjoyed it
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 27, 2017
Hand dusted pictures and window sills. Removed finger marks and smudges from vertical surfaces, including doors, frames and glass partitions. Swept and damp-mopped private stairways and hallways. Dusted ceiling air conditioning diffuses
intern
Extern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 17, 2017
Great place to be. the people were great.Vary busy place around the end of the year. I enjoyed come to work everyday. Getting involved with customers
its ok
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2017
this job is very easy you are just cleaning the plane its nothing to it. the only thing is this job you have to work in all kinds of weather no matter what but it was a great first job experience.
Fast Paced Restaurant Style
Server/Hostesses (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CA 93454December 13, 2016
Everyday was a busy/fast paced day. I served 120-150 residents/guests for dinner, presented the menu and explained items. I learned relayed orders to the kitchen and ensured all orders were filled in a timely and accurate fashion. Served ordered dishes to residents/guests. Maintained clean and organized tables in 2 different dining rooms. Stocked needed supplies ex. food, paper cups, juice, cookies.
ok
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CANovember 15, 2016
everyone is hardworking but we lack a stronger foundation to follow. I like my co workers a lot and everyone is helpful, few departments need to not overstep their boundaries. Overall the residents are nice.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no break room
No Advancement and to many lies.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CASeptember 19, 2016
No Advancement, it would take a whole year to get a raise, To many lies, bad treatment to employees. It feels like the place is falling apart, no communications between managers and employee, no fairness in the work place. The benefits are fine but there is no bonuses.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Lies, favoritism, no work ethic.
Loved working with the seniors.
Business Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WA 98072September 11, 2016
Great company to work for. Nice to work in a team environment with my fellow employees. Nice to be involved in special events.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Constent changes in management.
nice and fun place to work at
Front Desk Receptionist / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 22, 2016
it was fun working with all the employees. every one is nice and happy on what they are doing, they always help each other out.
Overworked/understaffed
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALJuly 6, 2016
Housekeeping department. They pay too little and require too much for only 2 people to take care of an entire building. Didn't have time to take breaks. This building was totally unorganized with staff, My coworker and I lived far away and always made it to work early or on time we made sure that the residents felt welcomed and satisfied with the service we provide them. We took initiative to do things and never were told what to do. We had no supervisor over us just manager. No help from anyone. no backup workers so if one person called in then there was just 1 worker to take care of everything in the building this includes.. the residents rooms you clean by schedule plus your coworkers rooms plus the front restrooms in the lobby(refill with soap or paper towels, toilet paper, wiped down disinfect, mop, sweep, etc), plus trash pick up throughout the whole building and dispose. We made sure we washed, dried, and folded each of the residents linens all in the same day and returned it to them, make their beds the way they like it done (memorize it) and clean their whole apartment dust ceiling fans and other surfaces ,clean windows, mop, sweep, wipe down counter surfaces, clean toilets, showers, mirrors, vacuum. That was too much work and too many residents to take care of. We also had to vacuum hallways and polish elevators and clean them out. And make sure all the Exit stairways were all clean and vacuumed.
Pros
Holiday pays, medical insurance plans and health benefits, paid vacation
Cons
insufficient pay, poor management, overworked
Good place to come just to get experience
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CA 94549May 21, 2016
Good place to build your experience up or first time caregivers but please stay to yourself but very friendly co-workers
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not organized
great place to work!
Medaide (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAApril 8, 2016
amazing staff as well as residents that live there, could not of asked for a better work environment. there offer very good pay aswell
Pros
free lunches, great staff
Cons
not enough hours
great place to work
dietary aide (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALFebruary 15, 2016
Loved working at Merrill gardens and enjoyed being there taking care of the residents. Everyone there worked together to make sure everyone ate in the dinning room. What I loved the most about Merrill is those precious moments I got to spend with the residents.
Pros
30 minute lunch break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merrill Gardens. Our community is ready to answer.