Merrill Gardens Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to come just to get experience
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CA 94549May 21, 2016
Good place to build your experience up or first time caregivers but please stay to yourself but very friendly co-workers
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
not organized
great place to work!
Medaide (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAApril 8, 2016
amazing staff as well as residents that live there, could not of asked for a better work environment. there offer very good pay aswell
Pros
free lunches, great staff
Cons
not enough hours
great place to work
dietary aide (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALFebruary 15, 2016
Loved working at Merrill gardens and enjoyed being there taking care of the residents. Everyone there worked together to make sure everyone ate in the dinning room. What I loved the most about Merrill is those precious moments I got to spend with the residents.
Pros
30 minute lunch break
Began as nurse for new start up retirement community.
General Manager and set (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 30, 2015
A prestigious senior retirement company opened a new community and I joined as community nurse. Supervised and developed great staff and was promoted to general manager of another established community with occupancy issues. Developed staff and improved occupancy to meet company standards. Took early retirement after assisting another community through replacement of management personnel.
Pros
Great heart in management philosophies.
Cons
Came too late in working career to advance as desired. Wanted to retire for family considerations.
Very Caring Place!!
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 2, 2015
I love this place! It is really easy to get attached to the residents and there families.. The staff is awesome! The residents are like family and there families gain your trust, The feeling is amazing!
Pros
pay good
Cons
no cons
Answer a multi line phone system for a retirement community, provide excellent customer service to the residents, family, other staff members
reception/customer service (Current Employee) –  northgate plazaOctober 20, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the residents and improving the quality of their lives. I love working with people so that is also a plus in this position. Organization is also a important part of my position. We are going through management changes at this time, which can be stressful. I also assist other departments at work, such as marketing staff and activities, so having a variety of work is rewarding and fun at the same time.
Pros
Free lunches, parking, good benefits
Cons
No consistent breaks or break times, at times no parking, work all year round, so work holidays often
An easy place to work with little challenge.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAOctober 18, 2015
A typical day at work starts with opening the kitchen, starting breakfast and preparing items for the lunch and dinner menu entrees. All food is made from scratch, which I enjoy. I am more than capable of performing all of my duties and am looking to advance to the next level.

I have a good relationship with my coworkers. I have proven to be a reliable employee, rarely missing a day and never late.
Pros
Positive relations with coworkers, good relations with customers
Cons
Not enough challenge, no opportunity to advance
would not recommend
Waitstaff/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CASeptember 29, 2015
When I got hired at this establishment, everything seemed great. The staff were friendly, management was inviting, I was working full-time hours making minimum wage (back then minimum wages was $8.00/hour) and after a year I received a $0.24 raise for a total of $8.24/hour.
Shortly after my one year mark, everything did a complete 180 and suddenly this establishment was the exact opposite of what it was when I started. My manager was let go and was replaced by someone less respectable, staff were becoming very unhappy which also affected the residents that lived there. After a while, my hours got cut to the point where I could no longer afford to live.
When I was almost at my three year mark, I was still making $8.24/ hour while new staff members were making the new minimum wage of $9.00/hour. I was only working one day a week for four hours while new staff members were working full-time hours. Some of my friendly co-workers I met when I started my first year were now lazy and backstabbing while telling the management that I was the lazy one. Management no longer cared about the employees. My new manager stayed in his office and didn't observe anyone's work but would write bad reviews about me which explained why I was still making less than the new minimum wage.
The only enjoyable part of that place was some of the co-workers that I befriended.
Cons
unprofessional management, terrible hours, terrible pay, unfair methods.
Great company to work for
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJuly 7, 2015
Excellent culture, fair and honest.
MG is really focused on positive resident outcomes. I enjoyed the family atmosphere at MG.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Great place if you love working with seniors
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, COJune 11, 2015
A typical day at work. I loved every part of my job for almost 6 years. I enjoyed the residents and I enjoyed the co-workers.
Every day is different, you learn something new every day, ..
Management is necessary in a business as long as they have compassion and understanding with residents and employees.
Co-workers are great, and work together.
A hard part of the job is losing friends you have come to care about.
One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is getting to know residents, with their personalities, memories, and every day living.
Pros
It takes every department in the community to make the seniors comfortable in their new lives.
Cons
Not everyone is a team player
Best place Ive ever worked
Personal Pathways Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 11, 2015
This was the best place Ive ever worked. They have the best team of people who actually care about their residents and how they are treated and not just the bottom dollar. Very well kept, best care, best food...I would work for them in a heart beat if the opportunity arose again.
Pros
free lunches, best of everything
Cons
when you admit a mistake, you arent given a second chance.even if it was outside of work
Fun, Productive, Rewarding type of work enviornment
Server/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 27, 2015
Everyday was always a new and different day at Merrill Gardens. Working here, I got to meet so many sweet and loving people and learn of their life experiences and listen as they tend to give you advice on life in general. I also learned to be more patient and understanding of so many things and oh boy do you really need it when you work with the elderly. A typical day at Merrill Gardens as a server was coming into the kitchen and having the cook brief us on what was on the menu for the day. I would then go out to my section of tables in the dining room, greet the residents,and get started on taking their orders. During the slow hours of the day, I try to get as many side jobs done and reset all my tables. When the dining room closed, my coworkers and I would split up closing duties, spend time on our ticket order sheets together, and then all head home..My co-workers were like family to me and we all worked very hard and very well together. We always had fun yet kept everything on the professional side.The hardest part of the job was getting so close to the residents and then finding out that they had passed away. It's almost like losing your own family member.The most enjoyable part of working at Merrill Gardens is that there is always something going on! Whether its with the residents, the staff or visitors, you will never ever be bored.
Rewarding & honorable place to work.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Working with our beloved seniors has been the most rewarding career of my life. They are the most respectful generation I have ever had the privledge to serve.
Pros
you learn a lot from our beloved senior citizens.
Cons
can be draining sometimes.
Loved the job and the company
Community Relations Director (Former Employee) –  Gardnerville, NevadaFebruary 17, 2015
company was always available to teach you new things.
The managers were very resourceful and great examples of leadership.
Dining Room Server
Server (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Working with at this company was very educational and interesting. The elderly would be friendly and talk able. They would talk about their life experiences and give advice on life. I would set up the salad bar and dining room table for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Great Company
Community Relations Director (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LADecember 29, 2014
Small Seattle based company that was very good to work for in my opinion. We filled up a building that had just opened. Great Executive Director at the time and a great company atmosphere.
Very busy hard working for a ok ok pay.
Dishwasher/server (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WANovember 25, 2014
Usually very busy, I learned how to use the the hot steam machine.

A typical day for me would be always standing all day, washing dishes, putting them away. Always on the move!

Co-workers and people are so awesome! The boss is AWESOME too!
Pros
very friendly environment
Cons
low pay for hard working
I took care of and spent time with the elderly for a living.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Santa MariaNovember 9, 2014
I absolutely loved taking care of alzheimer and dementia patients. I assisted them with all active daily living activities from waking up to going to bed. I lead activities throughout the day. My coworkers were like family. I loved everything about my job it was was difficult sometimes when patients would sundown.
Pros
helping patients, developing relationships, activities
Cons
combative patients, uncooperative patients
Rewarding Work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Monroe, WANovember 1, 2014
Giving people quality of life that they deserve. Helping residents with the things we take for granite everyday, and don't even think about. Like dressing or remembering to take a pill, and even going to the bathroom. There comes a time in our lives where we simply need help to survive, and be comfortable. That's my job, to be there......maybe just to listen, non-the less it's huge to these residents.
Nice place to work
Personal Pathways Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 28, 2014
I loved working at Merrill Gardens/Garden House. We had the best team who worked together well. The staff and mgr. team in the main building tended to exclude the Garden House Staff and residents. the Main building staff including General Mgr. Do NOT understand Dementia at all and what it takes to work/supervise the Garden House.
The General MGR. Tended to make the Garden House feel like they are on their own Island and need to take care of their own needs. There is no support for the staff at the Garden House.
There is no defined job discription for the employees at the garden house either. Just do it all by themselves
Pros
great meals for residents and staff, best co-workers ever
Cons
no support, no job description