Merrimack College Employee Reviews in United States

Sodexo Internship
Sodexo Internship (Current Employee) –  North Andover, MAFebruary 1, 2016
Working with mentors in HR and Marketing that create a fun work environment. I am learning Marketing techniques while also learning more about the HR department. I create surveys, manage the online website for the company and market to student body at Merrimack College for Sodexo.
Full of excitement and creative thinking
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MADecember 23, 2015
Total overview of running an athletic department whether it dealt with the logistics , operational, budgeting, marketing, planning , and the teamwork atmosphere was just an incredible experience.
Pros
Experience business side of sports
Cons
no pay
School of Science & Engineering - Civil/Mechanical/Electrical
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MADecember 2, 2015
I loved my job, especially working with the students seeing them come in as babies and leaving with a degree that they will do the rest of their lives. It was a rewarding job. The faculty/staff that I worked with were excellent and I will miss that. There are a lot of good people at Merrimack.
Pros
Faculty and students
Cons
Job security
Class project that a group of 15 kids put together.
Research Project (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAJune 18, 2015
Our environmental economics class came together to form a powerpoint on the energy industry. Including geothermal, nuclear, hydro etc. Our financial and economic research proved to be a great learning experience for the Newburyport High School students.
Active environment
Writing Center Tutor (Current Employee) –  North Andover, MAApril 22, 2015
Working there as a student helped me to grow personally and socially. Overall, it is good environment and good people. The big problem is finding parking space on campus.
Pros
getting paied
Cons
parking
Merrimack Review
Advancement Services Specialist (Gift Processor) (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAOctober 4, 2014
I processed donations to the college and distributed them to the appropriate funds. Duties listed on resume.
very productive
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  North Andover, MAOctober 3, 2014
very good place to work with the faculty.
very easy going and freindly environment to work
Higher Ed
Budget Director/ Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAJune 30, 2014
great place to work
great work life balance
that is all I prefer to share at this time
Growing College
Office of Campus Life (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAJuly 10, 2013
This college is growing rapidly. It will be a top 10 college in no time.
Productive and fun workplace
Ticket Office Manager (Graduate Assistant) (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAJune 9, 2013
I was able to work freely on things that were assigned to me and Merrimack really allowed me to develop my organizational and teamwork skills.
Day to day intervention with students, working with them one-on-one was extremely rewarding.
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MADecember 28, 2012
90% of my work day was working directly with students living in dorms. Many of the students needed assistance with maintenance issues, dealing with other students and many just wanted to talk about their day.

I learned that it was necessary to be flexible and have the ability to have strong people skills. I dealt with other staff, police services, parents all the time.

I always got along with other staff. I am extremely professional and I was aware how I interected with others.

The hardest part of the position was dealing with students who were under the influence of alcohol. I would have to call police services to have them transported to a hospital. It was tough to take their verbal abuse, but I realized it was a part of the position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the gradification received when I helped students.
Pros
being able to make important decisions on my own in a split second.
Cons
no cons.
very friendly co-workers
Custodian (Current Employee) –  north andover, ma.December 20, 2012
co-workers go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.
Pros
excellant benefits
Cons
pay is not great
Overall
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MASeptember 13, 2012
Up until the time I was replaced, it was a great learning and work environment. I met some wonderful people and friends that helped influence the person I am today. The most enjoyable part of my job was creating schedules and assisting students.
Pros
working with the students
Cons
new administration
Leadership role
Orientation Team Leader (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MASeptember 12, 2012
Being apart of orientation team was a great experience. I assisted being a leader to over 700 incoming freshmen. I helped set up and break down orientation events such as casino night and outdoor movie night. I also led a group of 25-30 students on a volunteer day nearby.
Productive work place and a great enviorement
Administrative Assistant, Graduate Program (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAAugust 22, 2012
It is a nice place to work and loved every moment of it. Wish that my hard working would have been noticed and wished there was a better management.
The co-workers are very nice in general and the hardest part of the job was trying to get more students toward M.Ed, and I loved doing it.
Pros
close to home
Cons
poor management
Priductive
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAMay 21, 2012
merrimack college was an amazing experience. being a resident advisor is one of the most important job and most beneficial. it teaches you how to become a leader and as well as a good follower.
Pros
amazing workplace
Building Maintenance staff great. Athletic Department Leadership and office staff ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE!!!
Building Maintenance Worker/ Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Merrimack College, North Andover, MAApril 28, 2012
Started working for Merrimack College in 2007 under the direction of The Physical Plant. This division works within the school to maintain every aspect of grounds, trades and building maintenance. It was a great time to work with smart, talented hard working people who take great pride in what they do. Sadly in the Fall of 2009 the crew that maintained the Volpe Athletic Building was forced to split from the management of The Physical Plant and was placed under the direction of the Athletic Department and a new power hungry Athletic Director. This would prove costly as the Athletic Department and its new leader know next to nothing about the day to day requirements of running a clean, safe, functioning facility. Their only concern is winning championships....and it perhaps it should be. This new leader successfully created an environment that used fear and intimidation to get results, gave no specific direction and complained when these never discussed expectations were not met. On the rare occasion that direction was given the maintenance staff followed it exactly, only to be told they were wrong and that they were never told to engage in any such activities. It was as if the new Director wanted them to fail. The Athletic Department should be concerned with sports and students and they are, sometimes too much. When the teams are winning all is well but when they lose...... look out because someone is going to take a beating and it's not going to be the student athletes. The Maintenance Staff are the whipping boys, it's sad because they're talented and despite all the nonsense  more... thrown at them by the new administration they still care about their work. The environment was and is TOXIC and stressful. At the the moment the current staff is on edge as their livelihoods hang in the balance.  less
Pros
maintenance staff
Cons
athletic department leadership
Pleasant working environment.
Computer Operator / Desktop Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  North Andover, MAApril 10, 2012
Pleasant working environment. People are friendly. 4 day workweek during the summer. Days off during Christmas break.
Great place to work!!!
Custodian (Current Employee) –  North Andover, Ma. 01824March 29, 2012
Very caring people. They work with you if you need to change your schedule for personal reasons. Benefits are AWESOME!
Pros
benefits start from day of hire.
Cons
only a 35 hour work week.
Strong Educational Institution
Area Coordinator, Office of Residence Life (Current Employee) –  North Andover, MAMarch 5, 2012
Merrimack is a very strong and competitve place of employment in the educational industry.

4.2