Merry Maids Employee Reviews

Worst Place to Work!!!!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  SCDecember 27, 2012
I worked as a salary employee pushing 60hrs a week (for 40hr pay). I gave it my all and went above & beyond. I loved all my cleaners and they loved me. It is not a place to advance and if you have kids with disabilities, I don't recommend you work for Merry Maids. I was fired because my child has a fatal illness and the owner was afraid I could have a nervous breakdown and leave her stranded. Now I am unemployed with no income or way to provide for my family. Yep, this sounds like a lovely place to work, doesn't it???
Pros
staff
Cons
everything else
Great employees, unqualified management
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Mount Zion, ILDecember 14, 2015
The best I can say about working here is that it is a Monday - Friday job that is roughly 8am to 5pm. No weekends required, sometimes the work day runs over to 6pm or 7pm (required, regardless of daycare or home situations). Very inconsistent in expectations and quality control. Owners have weak management skills at best. Good training for starting your own cleaning company.
Pros
Monday through Friday
Cons
Inconsistency, poor management, decisions are made based on personal opinion and emotion rather than logic and fact.
New management team and making more
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  New Bruanfels, TXJuly 10, 2015
Work has started to run smoothly lately. We have lots of work and it sure beats any hotel I've ever worked at. Pay is better and I get my weekends off so I'm happy here. I do have a great team-mate which makes a huge difference because you clean in teams. I have had some team-mates that can make it difficult, but I'm doing good now. I clean 4-5 houses a day which again beats cleaning 17 hotel rooms.
Pros
Weekends, good team-mate, pay
Cons
customers can be crazy, the previous management
Customer Service Representative
Maid/Housekeeping Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2015
A typical work day for me as a maid would be to come in have a 30 min meeting, get all cleaning products into the car and head off to the customer's home. Clean their home and then head to the next one. We did that about 3-4 times a day 5 days a week. I loved my co-workers because they worked very hard and made sure the customer was satisfied. The hardest part of the day was cleaning 4 houses a day, and the enjoyable part was having a good partner to work with that made the day go by easier.
Productive and very work oriented work place
House Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMay 17, 2014
All the girls meet at the office in the mornig to clock in, no later than 8 oclock. My partner and I go through our book to see what houses we have for the day, then we load up the car with all of our equipment and head out to start the day. I learned how to to properly clean according to the Merry Maids system. The most enjoyable part of my day is going to our regulars, and talking to them and getting to know them. Some we see every week so you really get to know them and they're families.
not a retirement job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  augustaJanuary 7, 2013
I graded this company low, there is no benefits, no job security, advancement is who you know. and management are un friendly and hard to work with. the workers there are great people to work with.To me the hardest part of the day is when you clean 3 houses and you come to go home and they want you to stay to do another house. the enjoyment of the job there was no office work, it was solo going to do these contract homes, and your alone doing your job and we had no weekends.
Pros
we where on our own once we left the office
Cons
no health care, no advancement, no retirement
easy job.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSSeptember 21, 2012
Easy job great way to make extra money perfect if you are full time. part time there is no money really. you drive your own cars but are reimbursed mileage which you can also claim on taxes. they do NOT pay for wear and tear on your cars. you never know when you will be off work. sometimes you will be done and then the boss will add 1-2 more houses on you. sometimes you will work 8 hours and only make 30 dollars sometimes youll work 4 hours and make 100 dollars. benefits are great. & bonus at the end of the year is okay.
benefits
Cons
never knowing when you will be off work
Great full time job
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WAJune 9, 2014
Typical days at Merry Maids was a lot of hard work, but you always had a coworker with you to help you get through the day. I learned how to be very detail oriented in a job and how to go above and beyond for your customers. Management was great. My coworkers were always a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was some of the things you see in peoples homes that you have to clean. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming home feeling like you worked hard that day and feeling accomplished.
Pros
weekly pay, employee drawings for prizes, recognition for hard work
Cons
dirty homes
Satisfactory
Teammate (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJanuary 23, 2013
A typical day was fast paced at part time work hours. I learned that following the Merry Maid way of cleaning was the fastest and accurate way of getting it done correctly. The management was fair and firm with the rules of Merry Maids. The team captains exemplified motivation to get our day going and do a great job. The hardest part of the job was cleaning huge houses as there were no breaks once inside. The enjoyable part were the hours, the atmosphere of the home office and getting to know the customers.
Pros
birthday cakes once a month and refreshment for meetings.
Cons
working with smokers and expensive healthcare.
used to be fun until they made us work on single person crews. Now I feel safety is a huge issue.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Menasha, WINovember 2, 2012
This was a wonderful job at the start. No late nights. No weekends. And I could start after my kids went to school. But they don't understand that things come up with kids. Even though they tell you that family comes first. They play favorites. And they pay isn't worth the jobs you do. Now that they went to single person crews I have severe safety concerns for the cleaners.
Pros
no late nights. no weekends
Cons
don't get to keep your tips. no wage increases.
Pretty much on your own when it comes to any issues. Management was out for themselves.
Office Assistant/ Cleaning Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 19, 2012
We would all start by a short meeting. We would get our books with assignments in them & leave on our own for the day. Pack all the supplies you would need for the day. Worked alone. Very hard to complete all the homes they wanted you with no support. Had to use our own vehicles. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
we were usually off by 4:30 or 5 everyday.
Cons
did have healthcare.
Challenging company to work for.
Maid (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 3, 2016
I wouldn't recommend working for this company. It's very hard to advance, you have to drive your own vehicle to clients homes, the equipment is falling apart and "fixed" by the owner with tape/zip ties, the cleaners are watered down, some clients are disrespectful etc. The only nice thing about this company is the manager. She really cares about your wellbeing and does her best to be fair with distributing hours. Also the crew is very friendly and welcoming to new people.
Pros
Manager really cares about the staff.
Cons
The owner doesn't take care of the company or the staff.
Opportunity to build customer base and get bonuses
Solo Housecleaner (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 5, 2014
Clearly organized management team provides daily assignments, the sales rep sets up new business but we can get a lot of referrals from our current customers, paid training, teamwork encouraged, co-workers are helpful, there is a lot of heavy lifting (couches, recliners, tables), bonus opportunities every month, some customers tip very well.
Pros
management often brings in snacks for us
Cons
may have a partner and only get 1/2 of your daily compensation
Loved the people i worked with
Professional Maid (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAJanuary 10, 2014
A typical day at Merry Maids was the team meeting in the morning before we left to go clean. I learned a lot about how to clean things properly with less product. My manager was understanding and nice. I loved all my co workers they are all hard workers and fun. The hardest part of the job was probably when we got to the end of the day and had a larger house to clean because we would be tired. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting and connecting with the customers.
Pros
free breakfast, amazing people
Cons
poor quality uniforms
a hard but, good job
Housecleaner (Former Employee) –  East Helena, MTSeptember 14, 2012
Go to work 8:30AM. Gather all the rags & cleaning supplies needed for the day, load it in the vehicle & head to the houses. We typically clean 3-5 houses per day plus special jobs. Ilearned how to professionally clean houses & offices. Some of my co-workers were oakay others not. Management was okay when she was there. Cleaning houses in 90 degree isn't much fun, it make for a long hard day. Customers were the best part of the job & having weekends & holidays off was a plus.
Pros
friendly customers
Cons
to much drama among staff
good place to work if you are not the only one bringing in money
Maid (Former Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CAJuly 6, 2012
Some days there was work others there were not. Going out of town up to 2 times a week. Some of the girls were great to work with others were horrible to work with. A lot of wear and tear on your personal car. The hardest part of the job was working from 8 am to sometimes 7 or 8 at night out of town. or not having any work at all. Some of the customers were great to clean for.
Pros
working with some great people
Cons
sometimes no lunches, sometimes no breaks, and the way some of the other girls drive scared me really bad.
Liked Working Here
Residential Housecleaner (lead-single/team) (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 16, 2012
It was short lived but always felt welcomed and enjoyed coming to work everyday. The pay wasn't the best but it was just residential housecleaning so it worked at the time. Merry Maids is a great starting company to work with the day to day operations are smoothly ran and the clients are very diverse but yet easy to get along with and clean for. The employee turnover rate was very low which made keeping the same team together that much easier.
Pros
great people to work for at this location
Cons
not the best pay but it is what it is
Good fun people
Maids Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 18, 2015
Our typical day at work.
We drive out to the places and
start cleaning the place.
I have learned how to fully
detail the houses.
My co-workers are fun to work
with but it depends on who
you working with.
The hardest job of it all is that
you are busting butt and you dont really
see what your getting payed for.There is really nothing
enjoyable about house cleaning.
Pros
Geting tips
Cons
Hours suck and the pay isn't nuff for a family of 4
Really gives you strong customer service experience.
Captain/Housekeeper, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North Augusta, SCOctober 13, 2014
With this job you really just have to leave home life home because every customer deserves the best of you and a smile to go with it. As far as my co-workers you have some that are good and some not so good you just have to pull some extra weight for the greater good of the company. The hardest part of my job is just all the down times traveling and the most enjoyable part is really connecting with the clients and feeling a sense of satisfaction because they are satisfied.
Pros
great management
Cons
no benefits, no pay raises
My Typical Day at Merry Maid
Team Captain (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 9, 2014
I start the day by going and unlocking the office and checking the phone messages and gathering supplies for each team. Then I review my assignments for the day with my team and then we leave out after a brief meeting with the Manager to go to our first appointment. My majority of my co-workers are Hispanic and I have learned so much about diversity and culture bridging. The hardest part of my job is have an unsatisfied customer. The most enjoyable part of my job is customers that are glad to see me come back.