Mesa Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Good job opportunities
PLAYGROUND AIDE & CROSSING GUARD (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 23, 2016
Mesa Public School district is a good place to work. I start working for this district as a crossing guard and playground aide, 7 months later I was working as a teacher's aide for the English Language Acquisition Department. I always had a great support from all the teachers and principal.
Grateful to MPS. It is a non-discrimination place.
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 19, 2016
This place is an extremely well organized one. I compare it to a private one in other countries. The quality of education is the best and students do learn.
The atmosphere was very comfortable there with dependable employees and a great lead custodian.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 7, 2016
I enjoyed this job a lot and stayed with MPS for almost 2 years before i had to resign due to conflicting schedules. The work was enjoyable and even relaxing at sometimes. I learned how to use a majority of machinery that is vital in a custodians job. however I was usually the designated vacuum user since I was able to carry it for long periods of time.
Pros
full 40 hours plus a decent start off pay
Cons
no benefits unless the employee was on a contract
Directors very qualified, others not so much.
Operations Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 4, 2016
Part time 29 hours per week has NO benefits or paid Holidays. School breaks are not compensated either!
Interacting with people the best part of the job.
Pros
15 minute lunch is paid time.
Cons
15 minute lunch
Excellent Colleagues, Students, Parents, Support
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 19, 2016
I have 5 years experience working for Mesa Public Schools and loved every minute. The families were communicative, caring, and supportive. My colleagues became my family.
Pros
Colleagues, Students
Cons
Budget Cuts
I mean I was a volunteer.
Volunteer Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 11, 2016
I volunteered at Longfellow it was fun. I didn't get paid because I was a volunteer and I dont know why companies' websites keep wanted to put this as work experience but yeah I recommend it.
Had a good and safe working environment.
custodian Mesa (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 9, 2016
A typical day at work varied there was always something to do my co-workers were fun and outgoing i never had any issues with anybody.
Great place to work and room for advancement!
customer service (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 27, 2016
Working for Mesa Public Schools has been the best job I have had. I've had jobs that pay $12+, I have been a General Manager, and even with the pay and job titles, I still would work for MPS hands down for no money. They really do care about you as a person and your family. They understand if your sick or your child is sick and can't be cared for by another. Very reasonable people. Great attitudes! Always room for advancement.
Pros
free lunches, great co-workers and bosses
Cons
not a job i would do again if i didn't have to
Student Cafeteria Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 30, 2016
This wasn't my first choice by any means but to be able to work as a class period and get paid for it was doable. a typical day at work consisted of being bossed around by a Hispanic lady who had me clean whenever I asked her what I could do. She wouldn't even let me pan out food for the next day. I learned that not all jobs are enjoyable as this was my first job. The most enjoyable part was when i would punch out to leave for the day.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
very grouchy and rude manager/assistant manager at mountain view high school
Good hourly pay but overwhelmingly stressful job depending on who your supervisor is and which school you work at.
Part-time Custodian (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 10, 2015
This job mostly depends on who your custodian lead is, which school you work at and who your supervisor is. My experience with this job as of right now is that it's pretty stressful and not so enjoyable, having to put up with extremely high expectations from certain school staffs to the supervisor. My custodian lead is a very nice guy as a person and enjoyable to have a conversation with. He's also laid back as a lead who looks after me from the supervisor and school staffs by giving me some constructive criticism on my work when it's necessary.

However, me and my lead have to put up with plenty of unreasonable complaints from the school staffs and supervisor for minor issues(sometimes even over issues that we have no control over). Many custodians have recently been quitting this job partly for this reason, along with little benefits to offer from the job.
Pros
A lot of coworkers who are friendly, a few friendly school staffs.
Cons
Stressful environment, poor promotion that offers little benefits for full-time custodians, idealistic and unprofessional supervisors, getting taxed A LOT for benefits you'll most likely never use.
LOVED my job
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 6, 2015
A typical day at work consists of helping out students and making sure they are taken care of. I grade papers, motivate the class, and help the supervisor. I have learned how to take care of special needs kids.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Only 29 hours
I learned a lot working with autistic children as an instructional aide and AVID tutor.
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 4, 2015
It was incredibly rewarding working very close with autistic children. I learned so much from them. For example, an immense amount of patience, how to communicate with each of them in relation to where they were on the spectrum and their personality, and finding what each of them had that was special and using it as a way to help them succeed in their future school years.
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) tutoring reminded me every day how much I enjoy helping others. In this case, it was helping students with their college application process, helping find their strong suits, and being of assistance in their study groups for any course they were struggling with.
Fun and easy workplace
community education (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 27, 2015
Fun workplace, children are always keeping you on your feet. All of my other co workers make it a good place to work and the management is fun and easygoing
Fun and loving place to work
LRE Aide (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AzOctober 25, 2015
I enjoy going to my job everyday. I love seeing and working with the children every day. Most of them I have known since kindergarten and it has been amazing to watch them grow. My co-works are fun and supportive to be around, as well as my supervisors. There is nothing hard about my job, but I do learn something new everyday. I usually help the kids with work, stay on task, break directions/ information down, help teachers, with copies, prep/ clean the room.
Substitute Teacher
Long Term Spanish Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 23, 2015
I am no longer a sub, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The job allows for flexible hours, which I loved at that time of my life.

I was a long term sub for a year, and loved it. If you find a school you like, you can go to the office, to see if you can be on the preferred list.
Working with grades K-12 and in all subject classifications is both exciting and challenging daily.
Substitute Teacher K - 12 All subjects (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 6, 2015
The Mesa Public Schools set high standards within the curriculum offered and the professional staffing criteria. The district is very large yet remains family orientated and sets high expectations for the student bodies. I substituted full time and was kept busy constantly with differently assignments daily or extended positions lasting weeks or months. I enjoyed this work very much!
Pros
I enjoyed the variety of environments, subject matter & age ranges.
Cons
Occasional disciplinary issues within the classroom setting.
Low paying job
Warehouse Specialist (Current Employee) –  MesaOctober 6, 2015
For all that is required by the warehouse specialist, I feel the pay is low. Insufficient training provided. Management does not enforce policies.
Pros
No weekends
Cons
little ability to advance
Great employer
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 4, 2015
Mesa Public Schools has been a fantastic employer providing stable employment for thousands of individuals who are committed to the development and success of students.
It all depends...
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 2, 2015
MPS can be a good place to work, my personal experience has not been the best. If you are okay with doing the same things everyday it's not bad. Your experience here in the operations department can really depend on who you work with and who your supervisor is. A typical day at work is pretty easy just clean and do your job and go home. Management can be tricky, some leads can be very cool, others...not so much. Same goes for your coworkers and other people you may encounter. The benefits are pretty good though, and the pay isn't too bad.
benefits
Cons
coworkers and supervisors
A productive place to work.
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 21, 2015
As contract Relief I had to have experienced knowledge of the local streets and vehicle(s) I was driving from day to day. I was trained in CPR, First Aid, and various disabilities of the students including treatments for the students in case of seizures etc... Management had a lot of responsibilities to the district, handling incident reports, hiring staff, rating staff, and keeping order. Co-workers were a variety of personalities being with hundreds of drivers. Overall, there was team work. The hardest part of the job would be tending to the children in demanding situations like an outburst due to their disability etc. Most enjoyable would be the children.
Pros
Benefits, Hours
Cons
Pay, seasonal