Mesirow Financial Employee Reviews in United States

Great company, but lacked R&D in our division.
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2016
Great company, worked on Fidelity Investments 3(21) Fiduciary services for their 401K business.

Typical day was calling on external, internal wholesalers, financial advisors and plan sponsors offering our 3(21) fiduciary services.

Management was weak and lacked vision for the business, not enough R&D investment and the managing director didn't believe in sales people for this role.

Hardest part of job was gathering 297M in 5 months and being laid off with the other sales team members.

The most enjoyable part of the role was the independence allowed within our division.
Pros
Gorgeous Office and work place
Cons
Lack of leadership and vision for our division
Ok place to work
Vice President, Investment Strategies (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
Depends on the Business Line, some are great. Cultures vary across the firm. Some great colleagues. Management needs to go through some training on how to become better managers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
hard to take vacation, management, culture, turnover
Fun place to work, lots of freedom
Associate Intern, Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2016
Tons of event for the staff and everyone makes you feel like you are part of their family.. I really enjoy the work/life balance here
Pros
Community Service, Free Lunch, Free Drinks, Events, Lots of Clubs
Excellent Place To Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2016
Mesirow Financial is the place where all the smart people go to work. Could not have left me with a better impression, and I found it to be one of the most enjoyable places to work.
Decent place to work
Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2015
Good place to work, hours are pretty good (37 1/2 hr work week).
Some of the people I worked with were great. Pay is good with annual reviews so you know where you stand within the organization and with your boss.
Pros
paid well and decent hours
Cons
lots of lay offs/outsourcing/downsizing
I had high expectations, but things did not go as well as I'd hoped it would. Employee morale is extremely low. Management need lots of improvement.
Executive Assistant to CFO (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2014
In years past, I thought this was the place to be during the former CEO's tenure; however, after becoming employed there recently, I became quite disappointed. I thought I would retire from Mesirow but due to non preferred managerial styles, this dream became short lived.

A typical day at work included ensuring that the executive was fully aware of their schedule for the day. Heavy, heavy meeting scheduling. Executive is a member of multiple boards, frequent communication and exchange of information was required, internal and external. Lots of phone contact with CEOs, Senior management inside and outside the firm.
Pros
company doe lots of positive things for charitable organizations
Cons
management needs improvement
Internship
Institutional Sales & Trading Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2015
Amazing experience
Met great people in the program and at the company- the interns were very fun and we made amazing friendships, employees were more than happy to talk with you or go to lunch
The downside was they did not provide any offers after the summer
Good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2015
great place. I loved it. I enjoyed my time there. Would return. Cant get enough of the place. Wonderful place to work. I loved working there. I hated that I had to leave.
Wonderful Place to work
RFP Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2014
Great place to work, however, it is a small company. People are friendly, but can tend to stay in their own groups.
Pros
everything
Cons
everything
Great company great location
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILSeptember 9, 2012
Customer service, meetings, claims revue
Excell and Word
Good a couple of different managers
Great people
renewal season
customer, clients.
Pros
location
Cons
moved to michiga
Love love love!!
Senior Account Representative (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 10, 2012
Great company amazing people highly recommend!! My only problem is I moved too far now and commute was too long :(

4.4