Messer Construction Employee Reviews in United States

Great and safe.
Construction Laborer/Commercial (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 20, 2015
learned a lot in a few years. made me the laborer I am today. great training and benefits. never ran out of work. great place for advancement.
Pros
training
Cons
never know what you will be doing next.
Mistakes I made led to my demise. Was a great company to work for.
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH/Cincinnati, OHMarch 24, 2015
I'd still be there if I wasn't greedy and expectated advancement. This company is a great company to work for. The people are skilled, the jobs are well run, management for the most part are competent and very receptive to ever changing safety practices. Wish I could go back, but I burnt that bridge. It truly is a moment of I wish I had the last six months of my career with them back, things would have been different. Hard to find employment in construction safety in Cincinnati that doesn't have Messer influence. Employees are genuine people, young, talented and trained to provide excellent service to the company and to the owners they build for. Great experience I thoroughly enjoyed, and in retrospect, i would have done things much differently than I did before leaving.
Pros
Good benefits, newest building technology, ESOP company, loyal to employees in most cases, depending on department advancement opportunities, safety conscious employees, high profile jobs
Cons
Little advancement opportunities in my position, sometimes to loyal to some, very political, some employees are protected
great management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 10, 2015
Performed general labor tasks to assist licensed carpenters, masons, electricians and iron workers to complete contracted projects in a safe and timely manner. I was able to prefect my work ethic working for this company.
Pros
great mentors as managers. great pay and benefits.
Cons
worked out in the elements
A great building block for a better future.
Laborer/carpenter/leadman (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 26, 2014
I enjoy working construction and networking with the sub-contractors and management personnel. It is a physical and mental challenge on a daily basis, and helps me push my limits of my comfort zone, and gives me a greater vision to see outside the box. Messer Construction has been a great experience both professionally and personally. It has been a great building block in all aspects of my life. Being in construction comes with traveling and extra expenses for hotel stays when on the road, tools and parking. And being a single mother, I am looking for a little more stability and better benefits for a secure future for my child and myself.
Pros
oppritunity for advancement
Cons
traveling out of state, extra expenses for tools
Great place to work with challenges for growth
Risk Specialist in the Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 25, 2014
Some management was not progressive and willing to learn to change. Over all a wonderful company that is a gem for a Medium sized construction Co.
Pros
good retirement package if with company for many years
Cons
some management is not progressive and stuck
Really depends where you are at
Operations (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiAugust 24, 2014
Will discuss negatives first covering aspects of operations. You have to know how to play the game, volunteering seems like the right thing to do, but could lead to demise. There are so many good people that work for this company, but it is overshadowed by the few that are considered cancer by some, watching them slip through cracks. The company is very "cliquish", behind your back conversations are constant, good employees have left or been removed due to hidden agendas. People that are loyal sometimes find themselves on the outside looking in and have been replaced. IT issues with their internal construction management system were constant and program changes were frequent, one jobsite could be using one program while another used a different. Review process is laughable, it's only your IDP plan in terms of ink on a piece of paper. It's a safe place to work, but there has been turnover in that department in recent years, changing the guard from those who cared to those who are peaking around every corner. Promotion priorities are granted to those willing to relocate. Lengthy temporary assignments outside your office/region is sometimes only option.

The positives, steady work, high profile projects with higher education institutions, healthcare facilities, and public infrastructure. Turnover in operations is low, the company completes self-performance work for multiple areas, they attract good subcontractors. Most of the senior leaders whether it be regional or corporate level are wonderful, supportive, and allow you to make decisions. You can achieve a work life balance.
  more... 100% employee owned ESOP company vested after 3 years. It's a good place to build your career out of college or continue from another company, given the right region, if you are willing to relocate, you will climb the ladder quickly. Compensation raises were consistent. IT is competent and responsive. Labor force brings in quality employees. Good benefits package. Per diem adequate for out of town assignments.  less
Pros
company will continue to get work, stability, well respected cm, esop, decent pay, some great people, vehicle, tools provided
Cons
support structure broken, the few bad seeds outweigh the good, disloyalty, meetings to have meetings
Decent benifit package
Lead Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 30, 2013
Although a job with possible potential as an employee it has been my expierience that I have been told only what they think I want to hear and not the truth. To me a company that does that would not be loyal to its employee therefore I find it hard to call it home. The company does not have a handbook for the employee to read so that we are aware of the rules and policies. The company does not have a redily available HR department so it requires contacting at least 3 or 4 people and you are still not sure if what you needed was even taken care of. The company lacks communication from management to the craft force. Some employees are aloud to miss work with no dicipline while others get diciplined. Those that do show up for work have to carry their work load as well as the undependable employees. Some employees are aloud to continually do inferior work then are moved to another job and good quality workers have to do their work as well as fix what was aloud to take place prior. It is a large general contractor which seems to do well but their self performance section needs a serious overhaul by people that have been in the construction business actually working. At this time the most enjoyable part of my job is that my work has been noticed by the company in which we are building a job for and that they have requested me to stay on this job until its coompletion. I enjoy doing my job in a way that the customer actually appreciates and is happy with the product we provide.
Pros
retirement package
Cons
lack of management communication, not very good vacation time off, no holiday pay
Great place to work. Need help with work/life balance.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 30, 2013
A great place to work. Management is very in tune with those who work underneath them. Support structure is very strong within the company. Professional development is supported and encouraged often. I wish I would have enjoyed the position more, because this company is the place to work if in the construction industry. A large downfall for me was the work/life balance of those who worked here. Long hours and weekends were expected always.
Pros
great company. great future. great people.
Cons
work/life balance.
Messer Constructions is an overall exceptional company.
General Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioJuly 3, 2013
A typical day consists of morning safety and production reviews, prior to pre-shift stretching. I learned basic carpentry skills as well as general house keeping and teamwork on a construction site. My managers were informative and respectful through out my time at Messer. My co-workers were easy to get along with and willing to teach more efficient ways of working. The hardest part of the job for me was working through the elements. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the progression of the final product everyday.
Pros
opportunity to work overtime
Cons
working in the elements
Growing company
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 16, 2012
Messer is all about Messer and how they appear to the city they are in. If you are a subcontractor under contract with Messer, I pity you.