MetLife Employee Reviews

Great place to work -- until they closed their doors
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJanuary 16, 2018
This was a great environment in which to work because the management team brought together former employees that had worked together before. There was instant camaraderie and respect. We were humming along, company was making money all over the country and then MetLife decided they didn't want to be in the mortgage business anymore and shut down the whole operation across the country in 45 days.
Pros
Very professional and recognized name
Cons
Company was too big to want to be in mortgages
Highly competitive culture
SALES PRODUCER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 16, 2018
I was a sales producer in a highly competitive office with 12 other producers. I learned time management,perseverance, sales production and communication skills. I enjoyed learning sales skills and working with other friendly but competitive co-workers.The position encouraged me to set and achieve goals for self-improvement.
Pros
excellent benefits
No true work/life balance
Software Quality Assurance Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2018
MetLife has a culture where they feel they own you. I was expected to work a minimum of 50hrs a week and most of the time it was 50 to 65. Then they took the entire operation and moved it out of boston and went down south where they literally laid you off and then made you apply for your own job again so they could put you on the carolina's pay scale. Sad way to do business.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lousy work/life balance
A Job to Keep You on Your Toes
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJanuary 16, 2018
Never a dull moment. Educational advancement is always available. Great place to work. You never have the feeling that your thrust into something alone. You always have your co-workers going through similar experiences--and they're there to help you along the way.
Pros
friendly staff
It's am okay company
Manager - Research and Resolution - Annuities (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJanuary 16, 2018
Since most business as moved to BHF, not too many jobs open. It was a great company to start out with and it helped my career. Not any more jobs to apply for.
Pros
Easy place to work
Cons
No advancement ops
Great work place
Production Artist/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
I woke there for a year and a half as a contractor. I was a great experience. My manager was amazing at time management, training and getting work done.
Metlife
Controls Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2018
There is no growth potential at Metlife. The culture is very competitive. A lot of backstabbing. It is not based on your knowledge or experience, but rather who you know to get ahead.
Great work environment.
TAM Case Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTJanuary 16, 2018
Definitely a workplace that pushes and encourages to think big. They find many incentives and programs to make the work place as carefree as possible.
Great Company
AVP - Illustration Systems (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 16, 2018
Metlife is a great company to work for, leadership's energy and vision is shared throughout the organization. Employee's know how their roles plays a part in the overall success of the organization.
Lack of vision
Principal (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 15, 2018
MetLife was going through a dramatic change in strategy when I worked there so it might be that things have smoothed out. There was a lot of confusion and lack of vision following the sell off of US Assets by the company.
Pros
Good facility, great co-workers, good pay
Cons
Lack of vision, mercurial and sometimes tone deaf reactions from management.
MetLife is a great place to work except...
Benefit Calculations Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJanuary 14, 2018
Unfortunately, I worked at the Alpharetta, GA location and this site appears to be relocating to Florida/North Carolina in the next year or so. Over the years, I've witnessed mass layoffs and forced retirements. Despite all of that, I really enjoyed my time there, met some amazing people and learned valuable knowledge about the pension risk transfer industry.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Job security
Meh
Business Procedures Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 12, 2018
Management is not supportive of employee issues with regard to work/life balance. It is easy for managers to be unhelpful or flat out abusive, because nothing will be done to correct it.
Benefits
Cons
Productive and collaborative place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJanuary 10, 2018
MetLife constantly encouraged group collaboration, contact between employees, and communication. The culture there was very laid back, making it a comfortable environment to work in.
Not for me
IT Project Management (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 10, 2018
MetLife is a great company that has been in operations for almost 150 years. The culture, based on my experience, is one of individuals slow to change. Many of the individuals I met were legacy employees, meaning their grandfather and/or father worked for the company. There appears to be quite a bit of nepotism at the organization.

The benefits are great but the pay is very low. The benefits do provide value but they don't pay the bills.

The company pace is too slow for me.
Pros
Health benefits, pension, 401k, organization longevity
Cons
Low wages, slow to change, nepotism
excellent work place
Senior plan administrator (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJJanuary 10, 2018
groups of hard working individuals working hard for various companies retirement plans. Many people willing to give extra time to achieve plan goals.
Pros
fun work environment. everyone giving extra effort
Cons
long work hours. frustration of waiting for stock prices - beyond control
Good entry level job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandJanuary 10, 2018
The job was good to get into the industry, but there is a lot of instability at the company. There were multiple mergers, I ended up being transferred to a new company.
Stressful, Stressful
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 9, 2018
MetLife is not a company that looks out for their employees. They are constantly looking to add more to your already full schedule. It wasn't what you knew, it was who you knew.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, Poor Management
Good place to start only
Investment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 9, 2018
Metlife is a good place to get licensed and learn the basics but beyond that there is no advancement or benefits- just seel to your friends (network)...
Business Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 9, 2018
Do not like working in call center. Think that I would enjoy working for a different department. CAN NOT TRUST anyone there. Cut throat environment. Love what I do
Pros
manager
Cons
quality of people
Perfectly OK
Person of Interest (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 9, 2018
Perfectly average work environment that adheres to normal standards and protocols one would expect in a modern society. Expect average to slightly above average on all topics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MetLife. Our community is ready to answer.