MetLife Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,281 reviews matching the search
Good company, but future "looks murky"
Director (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJMarch 4, 2016
MetLife has been a great company to work for and I've learned a lot thus far about financial services industry and the importance of benefits in everyone's lives. Speaking of benefits, they are great - very happy with what we have and it's hard to find similar elsewhere. From a culture perspective, there is a big gap that keeps growing between the "haves" vs. the "have nots": if you're an officer, you are set for life, but if you're one of the worker bees, you're working your heart out and not always getting credit / recognition / compensation you deserve. There's lots of talk about getting compensation parity to the market but that's not being executed well in practice. Also concerns about strategy and way forward - insurance is not a nimble industry by nature and there is growing fear that an older, established company won't innovate fast enough. Right job, right group - it's a great place to work. "Buyer beware" with your actual manager - some are great and some are not.
Pros
Good work life balance, great benefits
Cons
Big gap between executives and "worker bees"
Enjoyable job with an advancement to Liaison in Disability Claims.
management and IS (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 16, 2015
Beginning as a temporary employee in Disability Claims is the way I started. I was then promoted to Disability Liaison working with 10 representatives. This is where I was able to interview individuals who were seeking disability insurance.

The most rewarding part of the job was "being part of the staff" and writing a new tracking program for the group so as to ease follow up calls and contacts.

I learned how to connect with inside staff, client call ins, management and insurance billing.

I was not hired fulltime.
Pros
Goods hours and good people to work with.
Cons
Clients who lied to receive benefits.
Loved workking here, but they moved.
Suitability Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 21, 2016
I LOVED working for MetLife. The work-life balance was incredible, never brought work home if I didn't want to, my managers were AWESOME, schedule was flexible as long as your work was done and you were working the hours, compensation was much higher than I felt the job effort required, co-workers were really down to earth and relate-able. It's not uncommon to find people who have been there 40 years - I had 2 in my department. The only problem was that they move jobs a lot.
Fun Call Center Environment
Benefits Administrator/Disability Examiner (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 14, 2016
On a Typical day I was a benefits administrator for GM Salaried and retirees. I learned a lot about health and life benefits. As well as deductibles, co pays, etc. I enjoyed my co workers who were close knit. The hardest part of my job was trying to explain to retirees why their prescriptions went from a 30 day supply to a 21 day supply or just any other changes in their benefits. The most enjoyable part was being able to help get a certain procedure or medication that was much needed approved,
Pros
Benefits and other perks
Cons
An otherwise good position hurt by incompetent management
Account Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 30, 2015
The position itself is great and has a number of positives: Plenty of autonomy, lots of client interaction (typically email dominated), great variety of tasks and projects from day to day, strong team atmosphere and culture of helping one another, lots of job flexibility.
Pros
Extremely flexible, generous benefits package, high autonomy
Cons
Inept upper management, alarming lack of concern for employee or even client well-being, major focus on numbers (specifically, in minimizing operating costs)
Poor Management and Ancient Systems
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 21, 2016
Reinventing the wheel every time there is a problem. Systems are so old and nothing is user friendly. Worked 10 plus hours a day and still not being able to catch up with work load. The management pushed extra work everyday even though they knew how behind every one was.
Pros
Great Benefits, Great people to work with
Cons
No work life balance.
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 22, 2016
Management was great
fast pace
decent pay raises
stressful
job was easy
opportunity for advancement
the hardest part of the job was being tied to the phones while in que
Pros
No weekends in my department
Cons
scheduling done off of performance
Interesting, exciting, learned a lot
Certified Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSOctober 15, 2015
I started my career with MetLife. I was responsible for acquiring clients, maintaining their financial planning, and servicing their needs. I learned how to create and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with my clients some of who are still close friends. As long as I was producing management really wasn't involved in my day to day activities. The hardest part of my job was acquiring clients. The most enjoyable was actually forming relationships with them.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Collaborative environment that recognizes achievement.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJanuary 18, 2016
Great company to work for that supports career development and has great benefits. I learned a lot about insurance and different aspects of the business from collaborating with many professionals in several different departments.
Pros
Supportive mangement
Cons
Large parking lot
I learned alot the years I was with the company
CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILOctober 1, 2015
I learned alot at metlife, the only reason I left is because the company left freeport. I have excellent call center skills, set up claims, spoke with a variety of different customers under different situations, learned billing, processed insurance payments for customers, detail to work, excellent organizational skills, always punctual, met goals for department, satisfactory attendance record, took 60-80 calls on a busy day, hardest part of job was leaving the company when they left freeport, I enjoyed all parts of the job, had fantastic management, made alot of great friends, learned so much, while taking calls in claim dept and setting up claims it was hard when you had to deal with a bad accident or someone passed way, your heart really goes out to those people. I have always taken pride in my work and I am very honest and professional.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS, BONUS'S EVERY YEAR
Cons
THERE WERENT ANY
Nice building, terrible work life balance with legacy management that does not value people
Sr Project Lead - RADAM (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 3, 2016
A typical day at Metlife for a Project Manager is 10 to 12 hours or more. Co-workers are nice but are all over worked. Hardest part of the job is that management throws more and more work at the Project Manager providing no support let alone does not value the hours or work done. We are expected to work during PTO - paid time off and the directors call it "pretend time off". Worst company I ever worked for, does not value hard work. Too many legacy people in management. Not a collaborative environment, more cut throat in nature. Political and back stabbing culture overall.
Pros
nice building and cafeteria
Cons
No work life balance, no collaboration, no process, abusive with hours people are expected to work
A ton of advancement potential.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 11, 2016
Wanting to start a job to turn into a career? This would be a great for you. Don't wait...start your path to success today!
Pros
Great company
Cons
Costly benefits
The Salary base is competitive.
Remittance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 15, 2016
Fortune 500 company that offers a competitive salary base and encourages personal growth such as career advancement and continued education.
Pros
Nice Benefits, Work from home
Cons
Outsourcing Work
Not for everyone
STD Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTFebruary 18, 2016
Great company , but not for everyone. Work life balance is very difficult. Have to put in extra hours everyday and the weekends to keep up.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor work life balance
Production Management Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Great company and benefits. Nice colleagues and management. Really great perk was being able to telecommute from home majority of time.
Pros
telecommute from home
Cons
not that I can think of
Stable job
Insurance Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 4, 2016
Has good benefits and good employees. Answer dozens of phone calls regarding insurance and claims. Management and coworkers are all very helpful. Hardest part of the job is researching the changing guidelines of the thousands of insurance plans available.
MetLife Needs to Revamp the Managerial Staff
Term Conversion Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 28, 2016
If MetLife would take the time to get some management that is on fire and ready to do the work things would get better. We need individuals that know the jobs and are ready to put these fires out. No more yes men/women that just go along with the flow. The employees need advocats and also correction following bad practices. They need to get better with showing appreciaton and more coaching with career paths of the employees.
Pros
It is a secure job with yearly bonuses.
Cons
There are not alot of chances to advance based on work ethic, Management is ever changing and not interested in learning the job, There is no accountability on managments behalf, The morale and business culture has declined since I first started., I used to be proud to say I was a MetLife employee.
Reasonable place to work
Medical Payments Claim Adjuster (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 6, 2016
The hardest part of this job is handling a high volume of claims each day, while not getting annual raises within similar industry standards.
Great place to work.
Help Desk III (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAJanuary 10, 2016
Professional work environment. Good compensation. Good work life balance. Recent updates to the company facilities allow for a more interactive work environment.
Great place for benefits and advancement opportunities
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 6, 2015
I love working in customer service and I genuinely enjoyed the customers and staff, there are many of things I didn't agree with, but i still came in with a smile and did my job, in making sure that all my customers that were spoken with felt exceptional.
Pros
great benefits, in house cafe.
Cons
Management issues, misleading of hired on hours.