MetLife Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,295 reviews matching the search
Good company, but future "looks murky"
Director (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJMarch 4, 2016
MetLife has been a great company to work for and I've learned a lot thus far about financial services industry and the importance of benefits in everyone's lives. Speaking of benefits, they are great - very happy with what we have and it's hard to find similar elsewhere. From a culture perspective, there is a big gap that keeps growing between the "haves" vs. the "have nots": if you're an officer, you are set for life, but if you're one of the worker bees, you're working your heart out and not always getting credit / recognition / compensation you deserve. There's lots of talk about getting compensation parity to the market but that's not being executed well in practice. Also concerns about strategy and way forward - insurance is not a nimble industry by nature and there is growing fear that an older, established company won't innovate fast enough. Right job, right group - it's a great place to work. "Buyer beware" with your actual manager - some are great and some are not.
Pros
Good work life balance, great benefits
Cons
Big gap between executives and "worker bees"
Nice building, terrible work life balance with legacy management that does not value people
Sr Project Lead - RADAM (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 3, 2016
A typical day at Metlife for a Project Manager is 10 to 12 hours or more. Co-workers are nice but are all over worked. Hardest part of the job is that management throws more and more work at the Project Manager providing no support let alone does not value the hours or work done. We are expected to work during PTO - paid time off and the directors call it "pretend time off". Worst company I ever worked for, does not value hard work. Too many legacy people in management. Not a collaborative environment, more cut throat in nature. Political and back stabbing culture overall.
Pros
nice building and cafeteria
Cons
No work life balance, no collaboration, no process, abusive with hours people are expected to work
MetLife Needs to Revamp the Managerial Staff
Term Conversion Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 28, 2016
If MetLife would take the time to get some management that is on fire and ready to do the work things would get better. We need individuals that know the jobs and are ready to put these fires out. No more yes men/women that just go along with the flow. The employees need advocats and also correction following bad practices. They need to get better with showing appreciaton and more coaching with career paths of the employees.
Pros
It is a secure job with yearly bonuses.
Cons
There are not alot of chances to advance based on work ethic, Management is ever changing and not interested in learning the job, There is no accountability on managments behalf, The morale and business culture has declined since I first started., I used to be proud to say I was a MetLife employee.
MetLife
Invesment Advisor Representative (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLMarch 3, 2016
I have learned more in the last 8 years than in any other career that I have had. I have a Series 6, 7, 215, and 66. I have handled retirement plans for large organizations and individual consumers.

The management tries to accommodate their employees. Metlife has made so many changes that it would difficult to be a manager. I have enjoyed working with most of my associates. The hardest part of this job is that it is 100% commission and you do not get compensated for service work. It is 60 % service work. The best part of the job is the flexibility, you really are in control of your inputs and outputs.
Pros
Ongoing training
Cons
Way too many changes
An otherwise good position hurt by incompetent management
Account Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 30, 2015
The position itself is great and has a number of positives: Plenty of autonomy, lots of client interaction (typically email dominated), great variety of tasks and projects from day to day, strong team atmosphere and culture of helping one another, lots of job flexibility.
Pros
Extremely flexible, generous benefits package, high autonomy
Cons
Inept upper management, alarming lack of concern for employee or even client well-being, major focus on numbers (specifically, in minimizing operating costs)
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 22, 2016
Management was great
fast pace
decent pay raises
stressful
job was easy
opportunity for advancement
the hardest part of the job was being tied to the phones while in que
Pros
No weekends in my department
Cons
scheduling done off of performance
Poor Management and Ancient Systems
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 21, 2016
Reinventing the wheel every time there is a problem. Systems are so old and nothing is user friendly. Worked 10 plus hours a day and still not being able to catch up with work load. The management pushed extra work everyday even though they knew how behind every one was.
Pros
Great Benefits, Great people to work with
Cons
No work life balance.
Interesting, exciting, learned a lot
Certified Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSOctober 15, 2015
I started my career with MetLife. I was responsible for acquiring clients, maintaining their financial planning, and servicing their needs. I learned how to create and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with my clients some of who are still close friends. As long as I was producing management really wasn't involved in my day to day activities. The hardest part of my job was acquiring clients. The most enjoyable was actually forming relationships with them.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Committed associates focused on providing customers with a great experience.
Senior Problem Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYDecember 12, 2015
As part of a global support team, the days are long. Our products are sold world wide which provides for broad variety of experiences. Lessons learned in mature markets can be applied to emerging markets and new approaches developed in emerging markets can be scaled to improve mature markets. Management teams are highly service driven. Associates work hard to deliver a fulfilling customer experience. Delivery teams are often limited by systems that have not integrated information well which limits their ability to service clients in a timely manner. Associates want to provide great service which drives team commitment.
Enjoyable job with an advancement to Liaison in Disability Claims.
management and IS (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 16, 2015
Beginning as a temporary employee in Disability Claims is the way I started. I was then promoted to Disability Liaison working with 10 representatives. This is where I was able to interview individuals who were seeking disability insurance.

The most rewarding part of the job was "being part of the staff" and writing a new tracking program for the group so as to ease follow up calls and contacts.

I learned how to connect with inside staff, client call ins, management and insurance billing.

I was not hired fulltime.
Pros
Goods hours and good people to work with.
Cons
Clients who lied to receive benefits.
Productive and fun place
Sr. Application Infrastructure Services Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 21, 2015
I had worked the longest for MetLife as a client. It has the best work culture and IT practices.

Its a fortune 500 company with one of the best work-life balance. There are ample opportunities for growth and development as an IT professional in its workplace environment.

I would highly recommend working for Metlife IT Infrastructure support to any of my friends and professionals.
Pros
Great work environment and growth
Cons
Can't think of any
The Salary base is competitive.
Remittance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 15, 2016
Fortune 500 company that offers a competitive salary base and encourages personal growth such as career advancement and continued education.
Pros
Nice Benefits, Work from home
Cons
Outsourcing Work
Loved workking here, but they moved.
Suitability Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 21, 2016
I LOVED working for MetLife. The work-life balance was incredible, never brought work home if I didn't want to, my managers were AWESOME, schedule was flexible as long as your work was done and you were working the hours, compensation was much higher than I felt the job effort required, co-workers were really down to earth and relate-able. It's not uncommon to find people who have been there 40 years - I had 2 in my department. The only problem was that they move jobs a lot.
I learned all about the life insurance business
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTJanuary 17, 2016
The office was a very fast paced environment. I learned the politics of office management. I also learned what is involved in obtaining medical information as well as coordinating appointments with examiners and getting all of the requirements information to the underwriter. My co-workers were friendly and respectful.
Pros
Learned experience and relationships that have lasted 20+ years
Cons
Very stressful
A ton of advancement potential.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 11, 2016
Wanting to start a job to turn into a career? This would be a great for you. Don't wait...start your path to success today!
Pros
Great company
Cons
Costly benefits
Collaborative environment that recognizes achievement.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJanuary 18, 2016
Great company to work for that supports career development and has great benefits. I learned a lot about insurance and different aspects of the business from collaborating with many professionals in several different departments.
Pros
Supportive mangement
Cons
Large parking lot
Not for everyone
STD Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTFebruary 18, 2016
Great company , but not for everyone. Work life balance is very difficult. Have to put in extra hours everyday and the weekends to keep up.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor work life balance
I learned alot the years I was with the company
CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILOctober 1, 2015
I learned alot at metlife, the only reason I left is because the company left freeport. I have excellent call center skills, set up claims, spoke with a variety of different customers under different situations, learned billing, processed insurance payments for customers, detail to work, excellent organizational skills, always punctual, met goals for department, satisfactory attendance record, took 60-80 calls on a busy day, hardest part of job was leaving the company when they left freeport, I enjoyed all parts of the job, had fantastic management, made alot of great friends, learned so much, while taking calls in claim dept and setting up claims it was hard when you had to deal with a bad accident or someone passed way, your heart really goes out to those people. I have always taken pride in my work and I am very honest and professional.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS, BONUS'S EVERY YEAR
Cons
THERE WERENT ANY
Great Place
Onsite coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 8, 2015
Fun work place with great management. Work cutlure is great and people are so down to earth. Very friendly and benefits are great
Pros
Fun, Ping pong, Work culture
Cons
Work timing
Production Management Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Great company and benefits. Nice colleagues and management. Really great perk was being able to telecommute from home majority of time.
Pros
telecommute from home
Cons
not that I can think of