MetLife Employee Reviews

Classy and professional
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 3, 2018
I worked under 2 partners as a personal assistant. I did a lot of busy work to help my bosses work faster. I sent emails, set up appointments, copied documents, filing, labling, answering the phone, transferring calls, and used the programs Word, Microsoft Office, CRUMP, and other programs. Over my experience was good. My bosses were very friendly and hard working
Pros
Free lunch sometimes, dress nicely
Cons
Early mornings
Not a forward thinking or merit based establishment
Sr. Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2018
If you are looking for a innovative environment, don't go to an insurance company. In the grand scheme of big companies, this was an average experience.

However, it was manageable and the vast majority of the people were decent B player types.

If you are looking to challenge the status quo, this is not the place for you. If you are good at following process, this may be an ok environment for you.
Pros
Not very quick moving (a pro and a con)
Cons
Not very quick moving
Correspondent I (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 2, 2018
It's been over 16 years since I worked at MetLife. When I was there is was a very good place to work, I enjoyed working there. It's hard to give a current review, since it's been so long.
Overall a decent place to work and was appreciative of my time there
Short-term Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTJanuary 2, 2018
I was fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from having two different jobs within MetLife and spent roughly the same amount of time in Annuity Services and as a Short Term Disability Case Manager. I learned a great deal specifically with customer service and how to manage difficult situations. Unfortunately the customer we serviced chose to go in a different direction causing my job to be eliminated.
Pros
free lunches good coworkers
Cons
Difficult expectations and frequent management changes
what i learned
Financial services representative (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 1, 2018
i learned more in 1 year about the organization and myself. i developed skills to help me in my career. Although i am no longer an agent i do recommend the company
Unique Situation
Manager Digital Marketing & e-Commerce (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 1, 2018
MetLife offers a very good benefit package, good amount of time off, as well as other benefits one would expect from a Fortune 100 company. It seems that most people have struck a decent work life balance on the whole--although there are times during a year where the scale will tip one direction or the other, but it seems to even out fairly well over the course of the year.
Incredibly Hostile Environment
Conventional Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 1, 2018
Probably the worst place to have decided to enter into the mortgage business. They were drastically unprepared and failed to have the foresight needed to survive the obstacles in the mortgage business. They hired on all of the Countrywide executives to run their company and they ran it into the ground. It was complicated to understand how the company was being mishandled. Out of business.
Productive - Great Place to work
Client Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 28, 2017
Salary is not competitive

Great culture, family feel; however, work is needed with training and mentoring. It is definitely a 2 year learning curve to figure out all of the nuances of this role.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedules, Work for Home opportunities
Cons
Low Raises, Non competitive salaries
Stressful place to work
STD Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 28, 2017
A typically day consisted of arriving earlier that my schedule, returning multiple call request voice mail and tempted to research caller's concerns and calling them back.

Organizing new incoming claim request and attempting return calls for additional information and then scheduling follow up task for unobtainable informatio2days within 2 business days and process the claim from initial investigation to initial claim payment, and advising the claimant.
Pros
The cafeteria offers a variety of tasty health meals and is reasonally priced
Cons
Time alotted for lunch and the waiting time to to get your lunch
A professional environment and fast paced office
Personal Assistant to Management (Former Employee) –  Babylon, NYDecember 28, 2017
MetLife was my place of employment for many years and it was a learning experience for me. I acquired many skills and enhanced my professionalism as a personal assistant through this company.
Worked with a very good team
Sourcing/Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 27, 2017
Working in Global Procurement was a fun experience. I worked with a very good group of associates all over the US and beyond. I wanted to be hired full time but I wasn't willing to relocate.
Not a good atmosphere
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 27, 2017
If you're wanting management to appreciate your efforts, please do not apply for a position regardless of the money.
Employed for 12.5 years but only 1.5 years in the Tampa area. It took a lot for me to make my decision to leave but I am happier.
Pros
Not too many
Solid Company
Unit Leader Long Term Disability (Current Employee) –  Oriskany, NYDecember 26, 2017
Company has been in business over 100 years.
Typical work day is managing associates.
Hardest part of the job is inconsistency at all levels of associates and management.
Loved it there
Foreclosure clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 23, 2017
MetLife was life a family the work was good and how the company treated you was good the pay was excellent and the people who you worked with was family
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
They sold the company
Great Place to Work!
Disability Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 22, 2017
Metlife was a great place to work . I enjoyed working with a team, and knowing that the work itself was repetitive and enjoyed the consistency. I hated that they separated the disability dept from the company ending in several involuntary terminations.
Nice environment
Correspondence Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 22, 2017
Enjoyed working for MetLife very good staff and Management. nice work environment, unfortunately they closed there Mortgage Pro folio, had very good vendors also they worked for. Very Good trained staff for questions
Pros
Cons
Closed Down
Great company to work for
Auto Liability Claims Adjustor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 21, 2017
I enjoyed by time with MetLife Auto and Home. I would have continued with them if the job description would not have changed and become much more stressful. The company was very good to me.
Pros
Salary and work from home
Cons
very stressful
You have to love it
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HI and San Francisco, Ca.December 19, 2017
MORE THAN A JOB. 2 out of 20 People last after 2 years, You have to have the life insurance business as a passion, You have to breath it and eat it and drink it. It is part of you. Like an NFL FOOTBALL COACH. It never ever leaves you. It is ingrained in you. Phone calls, work the computer, notes, read, class, referrals, question, who do you know,etc,,,etc,,,,,,always asking,,,,,90% prospecting, 10 % product knowledge!!!=Most enjoyable part=when the people put their trust in YOU!!!
Pros
You are in business for yourself, but not by yourself
Cons
Long hours in the beginning, rejection, learning patterns, disappointments, must be persistent
Working as a loan officer at MetLife
Reverse Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2017
I was a loan officer, so part of my day included calling existing customers and calling prospective customers
I also visited and made appointments with referral partners and groups who worked with my current and prospective clients

I worked entirely independently. We would have a weekly meeting to go over and discuss certain items and issues that impacting us

Management was not the best I have had. I tended to research answers. If I talked to my manager, he did not necessarily understand because he had never done what I was doing.

The hardest part of the job was keeping my drive going when I did not necessarily have the best support.

I loved my customers and they made it all pleasurable. I knew I was helping them and maintained excellent communication with them by keeping them informed about the status of the loan.
Pros
Independently working and knowing my business
Cons
Weak management made getting answers difficult
General Clerk II (Intern), Legal Affairs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2017
Great company, you are respected less when you are a woman...by other women. Management is great, easy to talk to. The people who give you the hardest time are the ones on your level but overall it is a great company to work for. There is a game room, gym and lots of office celebrations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MetLife. Our community is ready to answer.