Summary of Position:
The Process Engineer will lead the design and execution of experiments to develop and scale-up of processes to make nanomaterials using chemical or thermal methods.
Key Duties & Responsibilities for this position are listed below. Other responsibilities may be assigned to this position in response to business needs.
Develop, implement and maintain manufacturing processes or operations to make advanced materials or evaluation of environmental media produced by MetaMateria.
Define, implement and maintain manufacturing quality control processes.
Interface with customers and partners on application / use of products.
Work with team to establish requirements for solution delivery and implement accordingly.
- Design experiments to obtain information on critical reaction parameters and reaction kinetics to determine appropriate reactors, sizes, and operating conditions.
- Estimate process cost and capital costs.
- Recommend, fabricate, and supervise the operation of pilot plant equipment.
- Perform lab and pilot scale synthesis work involving mixing of chemicals, reactions, filtration, sizing and classification of powders, analytical methods, etc…
- Maintain detailed notes and records in a laboratory notebook/electronic log sheets.
- Responsible for housekeeping and maintaining a neat and organized work area.
- Follow safety procedures to assure a safe work environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. BS in Chemical, Environmental or Materials Engineering.
2. At least 3-5 years relevant professional experience, in chemical or materials processing
3. Experience in recommending, fabricating, and operating pilot plant equipment.
4. Experience in understanding chemical reactions and designing and sizing reactors.
5. Experience with experimental design techniques
6. Ability to use Microsoft Office: Excel and Word.
7. Experience with manufacturing in a smaller company
8. Ability to be an independent contributor as a team player.
9. Attention to detail.
10. Good mechanical skills and aptitude desirable.
11. Familiar with laboratory, chemical processing, and instrumentation equipment.
12. Familiar with environmental, health, and safety procedures.
13. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
14. General understanding of environmental clean-up is preferred (not required).
15. Previous manufacturing or chemical handling experience is desired.
16. Ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment.
17. Ability to manage time effectively and independently.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Travel is not considered a routine component of this position. However, based on the business needs of the company, travel to client sites may be required on occasion.