Metabolic Research Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed customer service and the positive attitude to help clients excel in their personal plan.
ASSITANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasJanuary 15, 2015
As Assistant Manager, I enjoyed the client interaction the most which promoted the weight loss plans, supplements and consulting on a one-on-one basis. Each day I had certain clerical duties to perform as in inventory delivery, counting, posting, ordering and balancing inventory to meet our daily needs. With each client, documentation was required in their personal file, then posting their supplement order and accepting payment. Phone skills became a large part of the job because we would make follow-up calls, call past clients and out of town clients daily. I learned about nutrition, self-esteem and the impact of positive thinking. A typical day at work would entail meeting and greeting each client, taking them to a private room for vitals, weigh-in, then consulting with them how their program was working for them where questions and concerns were addressed and scenarios were given to them to better meet their weight loss goal. I learned about nutrition, self-esteem and the impact of positive thinking. Management was negative, instead of focusing on the positive affects of each consultants actions, the negatives were pointed out which deflated positive energy. My co-workers were exceptional with a genuine interest in each client and we all worked well together to further Metabolic Research Center. The hardest part of the job was seeing the heartbreak of clients that became discouraged because of their own choices. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I could make a difference in the lives of each client.
Pros
worked with a great staff, excluding manager and supervisor.
Cons
working until 8:00 at night and every saturday. no benefits.
Disappointing Interviewing Process
Job Candidate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs/Castle RockApril 5, 2013
For anybody who's possibly looking to work for the Metabolic Research Center, I'd just like to relay my disappointing experience. They brought me back for THREE interviews for a counsellor position. Each interview went just fine, although I had a hard time getting concrete information from them. They refused to give me an hourly rate of pay or allow me to take home their diet plans so I could study them and decide if I could whole-heartedly get on board and become an ambassador for their products and services. I then started looking for anything I could find on the internet and I got some pretty unsavoury answers there. What I determined is that the hourly pay rate is so low, $10 per hour, that consultants are forced to sell very high-priced, commissionable supplements in order to make a living. As a result, the poor clients often experience high pressure from the consultant to buy, buy, buy these products which they could easily purchase at much lower prices elsewhere. This made me feel very uneasy. Meanwhile, I was told by my interviewers that a decision would be made on the hire within one week. Sadly, I never heard from them again. After taking so much of my time, over THREE interviews, they didn't even have the professional courtesy to email me and advise me of their decision NOT to hire me. I came away from the experience not feeling very respected and without a good feeling about the Metabolic Research Center's true care for the needs of people.
Controlling, Restrictive "Employment Agreement"
Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee) –  INDecember 27, 2012
To work here, employees are required to sign a lengthy stack of papers/agreement. It will require increasing your auto insurance- if not up to par and showing the company proof each time the auto insurance is renewed. Should the position not work out, you are required to sign that you will not accept unemployment paid by the center. There is also a form that states if you are asked who owns the company, you can only say 3 words, "There are officers." This statement alone is a huge red flag. Employees are routinely checked for their BMI (Body Mass Index) and if it is a few points off, the employee is to do the company's weight loss program and is "encouraged" to take their supplements. The employee is to pay half for the costly supplements. Employees are also told what they can and cannot say on social networking sites. Also, if it is determined the employee leaves and "shares" their weight loss "secrets" the employee signs that he or she will pay a substantial amount of money (if I remember correctly, I believe it was over $100,000). All for a beginning wage of $9.00 an hour- part-time. If an employee refuses to sign and give the employer this power- over their bodies, supplements, and future, the employee is not hired.
Horrible company to work for... Don't bother
Former employee (Former Employee) –  UnknownSeptember 27, 2013
Horrible company to work for. Company that offers weight loss and advises you not to work out. That's how they get their business because once you lose the weight an get
Off their program, your weight comes back because no exercise. Their protein drinks that are a must to buy does NOT preserve lean tissue mass. in fact it does nothing at all except make them money. With the mound of paperwork to sign when hired, among them one states that employees MUST not give owners name. It's because Jan C. Has worked for other weight loss companies and has a legal issue going on with them. Not worth the time or headache so keep moving because if you are not fake and anorexic they will not keep you on. This is an unfair, discriminating company that talks bad about their employees and their clients. All they want and care about is your money in their pocket.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
My Review of Metabolic Research Center in Melbourne, FL
Consultant/Sales (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLSeptember 19, 2012
Overall, it is a horrible place to work. They hold your weight over your head and weigh you in once a week after you've been there 6 months. Co workers are vultures that are sneaky and try to take your clients from you, and it is viewed as alright from management as long as it's specific employees. Management is caddy and unprofessional, talking about certain employees personal information to clients and other employees. The most enjoyable part of this job are the clients, they are wonderful and caring people that just need to feel as though someone is listening, if they knew that the employees and management at MRC were talking about them behind their backs and speaking of their personal lives to others, I highly doubt they would continue to spend their money there.
Pros
amazing clients, decent pay
Cons
management, employees, work environment.
LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE
CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  CARY, NORTH CAROLINAApril 21, 2015
I REALLY ENJOYED WORKING WITH CLIENTS. IT'S A GREAT FEELING WHEN CLIENTS LOSE WEIGHT, AND BEGIN TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES. I WAS NOT FOCUSED ON SALES, THAT IS NATURAL FOR ME. I FOCUS ON THE CLIENT.

MANAGEMENT FOCUS TO MUCH TIME ON CONSULTANTS PERSONAL LIVES, PERSONAL FINANCES. THEY ARE INTERESTED IN CHILDISH GOSSIP.

I WAS REALLY FOCUSED WITH HELPING CLIENTS TO LOSE WEIGHT. I WAS REWARDED FOR MY OUTSTANDING SALES PERFORMANCE, I ALSO WAS GIVEN A PIN FOR MY GREAT COACHING SKILLS. THIS EVENT TOOK PLACE AT A DINNER ON THURSDAY. ON MONDAY WHEN I RETURNED TO WORK, I WAS FIRED. WHEN YOU ARE FOCUSED AND MANAGEMENT IS FOCUSED ON CREATING DRAMA AND REWARDING PEOPLE WITH FREE PRODUCTS OFF THE SHELF FOR ASSISTING HER WITH THIS BEHAVIOR. I NEVER CALLED OUT SICK, LIKE OTHERS. I WAS AT WORK ON TIME. MY SALES WAS HIGHER THAN EVERYONE IN MY LOCATION.
Pros
I ENJOYED MY JOB
Cons
A SHORT EXPEIRENCE
Wonderful weight loss program with great training and people
Consultant, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  DenverAugust 15, 2011
Working at Metabolic was one of the most rewarding times in my career. I loved the program (as a former client) and helping others reach their healthy goals. The quality of training I received about nutrition, behavior modification, sales and natural supplements was outstanding compared with similar programs I have seen.

I loved the people I worked with and the clients alike. Although the pay program could have been improved, there are still opportunities to advance within the company.,

Metabolic is a compassionate and warm place to work, and they really treat their clients with care. If you want a supportive environment that is more than a paycheck, I recommend Metabolic.
Pros
patience hooks co manager, great people, excellent program
Cons
commission on herbs and vitamins only
Too much focus on sales vs. actual client needs
Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARFebruary 13, 2015
We were repeatedly told to focus on customer service, but then have our hours cut if we didn't meet hourly sales quotas. Our center didn't even get enough money to purchase needed office supplies, including a vacuum cleaner. We often had to choose between toilet paper and printer ink. Upper management wanted more clients, but would not budget for any advertising. We kept calling the same past clients over and over instead of finding new ones. We were sometimes cursed out by old clients on the phone and told to stop calling. All female co-workers meant backstabbing and cutthroat tactics.
Pros
helping reach clients reach goals, center manager
Cons
pay, sales pressure, spending hours calling past clients
Productive Weight-loss Company
Weight-loss Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasDecember 10, 2013
Metabolic provides a program that works great and a program I truly believe in. I have expanded my dietary knowledge which has coincide with my experience in physical training and my degree in Sports Science. I have some of the best co-workers I could ask for. They are truly encouraging and motivating people to be around each day. Management was fairly good but lacked consistency. The most enjoyable part of my day is to get to sit down and help these people that have struggled with weight most or all of their life and providing the answer they desperately needed.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
schedualed every weekend
Excellent, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable team
Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 29, 2014
* As the center manager I worked 12 hour days, 6 days a week due to a revolving and continuous short staff.
* I learned that there are a variety of reasons why people are unable to lose weight and that there are persuasive tests used as diagnoses.
* Although my co-workers were nothing less than fantastic, the owner made it difficult for promotions.
* The most rewarding part of the job was to watch and to celebrate our clients successes. The most difficult part was finding reasons why most were not able to lose their weight.
* The job was most enjoyable and the pay was low.
Pros
clients, clientele
Cons
the owner

Want to know more about Metabolic Research Center?

Ask a question
Local supervisor was great..
Manager (Former Employee) –  TXMay 25, 2012
Loved helping others reach their goal, the best part of the job.
Corporate (Florida) was the most NON CHRISTIAN group of people I know, they lie, cheat and steal from their own centers! Treat employees like DIRT!
I love my co-workers.
The hardest part of the job was upper management always wanted more and they refused to do advertising! Hello, how do they think Coca Cola became a household word!.. They advertise. A vicious cycle with all of the upper management team! They are just to cheap to put any money in the business, yet they demand exhorbitant results! Really????
Pros
serving others
Cons
upper management is sorry!
Great coworkers, no clue whats going on
Health and Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 8, 2015
Fun place if your a student or needing part time work. Not the company you want if you want to make money, advance, benefits, or full time work.

Upper management either doesn't know whats going on or won't tell you. Training is insufficient.

Job Title: Consultant

Reality: SALES, counselor, health coach, sales associate, assistant manager, psychologist, therapist, vitamin and herb specialist, weight-loss expert, inventory clerk, administrative assistant, marketing manager
Pros
Flexible
Cons
upper management, pay, unrealistic compensation for job
Sales / Customer Service, Nutrition Consultant
Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 2, 2013
Open up center, make care calls to clients not scheduled to come in. Greet clients and uplift them and support them through journey of their weight loss. Sale and encourage to purchase products to do achieve.
Management of Office which achieved their sales goals and beyond every month in 2013. The hardest part were the clients that would not work the program. The best part of the job were the clients that smiled and came in and were excited to see you. I loved the people!
Pros
commission and bonuses
Cons
lack of communication from corporate
Very focused on sales vs client success
Consultant (Former Employee) –  KansasFebruary 18, 2015
The other consultants I work with were great but upper management really made the job hard. Constantly told that we were not good enough. Rarely got a compliment from upper management. Told to focus on customer service and not sales but then got cut hours when didn't meet quota. Constantly put down and talked about behind back. Upper management is rarely helpful and constantly judging you. Not a great place to work at all.
Pros
other consultants in the center and the clients.
Cons
poor pay, horrible benefits, horrible upper management
Client success is rewarding upper management is horrible
Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 13, 2012
My experience was positive and negative. If you love people and truly want to help them achieve their goal you will love the job. It is commissioned based so you do have to fend for yourself. There is long hours involved and Metabolic has the worst benefits package. Really expensive insurance, pathetic paid time off, and no retirement. Upper management does lie, and demand a lot from their employees.
Pros
helping people achieve their goals
Cons
long hours, no benefits, small amount of pto, upper management
Stressful high pressure sales.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  MelbourneJuly 8, 2013
Consulting with clients, always selling more program time,more herbs and vitamins,more required drinks. Down time is spent on the phone trying to get old clients to come back. I learned that I don't like high pressure sales. The people I worked with were nice but under pressure to make sales quotas making them self absorbed when their numbers were down. The hardest part of this job is the fear of losing it due to numbers. I enjoyed being part of clients weight loss.
Pros
job was physically easy.
Cons
very stressful
A very rewarding position, that taught me many skills I seek to advanced today
Weight Loss Consultant/ Acting Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 4, 2015
I loved working with the people that came in the center to lose weight and begin a new healthier life. I became a great sales woman and then moved into management where I excelled in training staff and the overall growth of the center.
Pros
Knowledge gained about healthcare, working for a company with a successful program..... rewarding
Cons
Not alot of room for growth
Good relationship with clients, bad relationships with management
Weight Loss Consultant (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 1, 2015
Compensation is very poor, your mission transfers from helping clients to lose weight to selling all products you can. You spend a lot of time on the phone. There is a HIGH turnover rate. I made wonderful friends who no longer work their. It can be rewarding working with your clients though.
Pros
Relationships with clients
Cons
Poor compensation, lack of mobility
fair job and room for growth and development
Senior Weight Loss Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 4, 2013
Team work is a must. Growth in the company is expected of you both personally and professionally. Management was not consistent and that was one of the only downfalls. I learned a lot about myself during the year I was employed at MRC. Most importantly, I strengthened my communications skills working in a team.
Pros
freedom to be creative
Cons
write ups for not meeting quota
Passionate people.
Care Provider Consultant/Educator (Former Employee) –  Aurora ColoradoJune 21, 2012
Counting calories, working on weight loss regimes for customers, teaching clients about different food groups and vitamins. Management was awesome, tons of knowledge. Hardest part of the job was helping clients stay focused, and best part of the position was seeing the clients transformation. Learned alot about self esteem, customer awareness, and passion.
Pros
discount on products.

2.8