Metals USA Employee Reviews in United States

Cant grow with the company
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 19, 2016
You can not grow with the company, Three months is of hard work and they let you go, it is not attempt to hire. They do not hire full time.
Pros
over time
Cons
not a full time job
demanding, yet desireable
machine operator/lead man (Former Employee) –  Horicon, WIApril 9, 2016
there really is no typical day at metals usa, we mostly worked 9+hr days and weekends voluntary and mandatory as well as the option for voluntary overtime when the next shift was missing coworkers.i would be on a forklift transporting finished and unfinished product approximately 2-3 hrs a day minimal. what I learned in a steel facility as this one, every master coil regardless of type has many different traits, hardness camber,edgewave being the most critical as well as surface defects . the mills also provided different wualities which in time I learned to verify what material certain mills had tendancies of.
The management portion of metals usa recently had a turnover since 2014 , new gm, new plant managers, 2 within that span, as well as new supervisors taking over the roles so its a transition phase for the company since they were purchased by alliance steel which has over 200 facilities throughout the world.
as in all workplaces there are a variety of different personalities, so my tendancies were to just provide my knowledge and support of the job to all those newcomers and struggling coworkers .age ranges from 18-60 everyone really brought different perspectives to the job which made every day a different day.
the hardest part of this job is that nothing is hard, or difficult its al common sense, where to put your hands or not, safety concerns of speed of material handling , maintenance situations, all of which were stressed daily as we had weekly safety meetings to ensure the most safe workplace opportunities.
my most enjoyable part of the job was to always
  more... continue self improvement on my quality of product I could produce and the growth of knowledge about every possible machine and opportunity within the facility. I pride myself on my work and my accomplishments being as efficient as possible and making sure what was expected of me was exceeded as much as I could exceed as allowed.  less
Fun and energetic workplace.
Purchasing/Purchasing Manager/Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INMarch 20, 2016
A good organization with opportunity for advancement in a very dynamic industry. A company with years of experience at their disposable and utilizes that experience to train and develop personnel.
Pros
Flexible, Opportunity for Adavancement
Cons
None.
Take good care of you
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHFebruary 17, 2016
A really good place to work
Good benefits and bonuses
Great work environment and co workers
Lots of overtime if you want it
fun workplace
Floor Worker (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAJanuary 27, 2016
how manage teamwork and respect
pull orders
love working fun
always teamwork
always fun never no problems
wish to go back
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
very fun enviroment loves there workers
Arbor Setter (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 13, 2016
started off the day with checked schedule to see how many arbors needed to be set. then they taught me how to operate a crane and hilow. the management and co workers were super nice and treated you with respect! i really enjoyed working for this company. the hardest part of the job was not being able to grow further in the company and expand my knowledge. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things and being able to take that knowledge and apply it to future jobs.
Pros
pot lucks on accasion, fun workers
Cons
short breaks, not enough hours
Bad management
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSNovember 22, 2015
Place is poorly managed. Plant manager allows plant supervisor to come in drunk everyday. You can actually smell it on him everyday and he has delirium tremens. The people they think they need are allowed to get away with EVERYTHING. Dont suggest anything management will get angry with u and u will eventually be fired. Bad organization, long periods between raises, and also get used to being lied to. Good luck if u get a job here. Lol.
Pros
Cons
cheap labor, childish worforce and management
it was ok working there but there was alot of things wrong
cad programmer (Former Employee) –  Seekonk, MANovember 8, 2015
upon entering you would feel welcomed

Then I had been working there ( as intern to get school credit but was to be employed after) for over 3 months and when I requested to learn about the form that is used to communicate the job though out the process...and how to read it // where all the information was located the person I was training under to go into CAD programming refused to teach me everything he knew because "the most you will be is a CAD programmer, your never gonna have my job" which his job was to be a CAD programmer... and he was going to be moved to quality control which is normally a higher paying job. and i was to be trained to fill in his spot as CAD programmer.

Then their inventory program is very old its similar to doss... where its a blue screen and has only one path way to enter in information making it difficult to look up materials when you do not have all the information in that line ... and you may end up having to go to a hole different directory just to try and find some information on it or to look up in the inventory books which within 1 weeks time span a peace of plate steel could be in a completely different location then where it was listed only a week ago...

the burners told me story's of how in the old days they use to have one gie running crane for each burner, and that after each job they would clean the machines but now they don't do that and they only have one gie running crane for 8 tables at 5 stations. so this causes the burners needing to use the cranes to both find plates and take parts off and burn the parts... at times
  more... they run into conflicts where multiple people need to use the same magnet.... finding a plate can take 5 mins or it can take a hour...

with cleaning the machines they no longer use a shop vac to get the majority of the material + clean the floors of small steel balls... instead they use a air gun which is set at a pressure that is just below OSHA standard. which when all the metal dust is blown off the machines it goes up into the air and makes a wall of metal dust about 10 to 15 feet tall that covers all the other machines all the material which increases clean time for parts... and then also goes into the air which everyone breaths in... it also covers the floor and if you stop short at the wrong place you could go sliding for a cupple inches or 3 feet .. the way they clean the floors is that they take the 10 ton magnet and turn it on and run it across the floor about 1 in off the ground which then within about 20 feet by about a 6 foot space the magnet is full of metal flakes and dust ...

it was a worm and friendly environment it seamed at least but I just i fugred i would say my conserns take it as u will
Pros
1 hour brake
Cons
health // safty// working conditions//training
company is very poor
cutter (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PAOctober 30, 2015
the general manager and plant manager of the Pottstown metals don't care about employees. the sales team are so screwed up they tell the customers they will get there product on this date but wont put job out in the warehouse till 3 days over due. they use and abuse you, when you stand up for your self they fire you.
Pros
not orgnized
Cons
being treated like an animal
Bad employees with too much time on their hands
Raymond Driver (Former Employee) –  Horicon, WIOctober 17, 2015
Management is too lenient and lets employees get away with various dangerous games and goofing around. They play favorites.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
bad management
Decent if you like warehouse work
Shipping and receiving specialist (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAOctober 7, 2015
The hardest part was working when the weather in the upper 90's and when certain needed their metals in a timely manner

I liked my one co-worker who worked with me in the warehouse, always felt comfortable speaking with him and asking questions.

I learned how to operate metal cutting machines, drive a forklift, and drive a side loader.
Pros
Always busy, the time goes by fast
Cons
The pay is not as much as it should
lots of overtime
Machinist/setup/programer/lead man (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 27, 2015
lots of overtime, good benefits, friendly people, a lot of varying parts to work with, wide range of tolerances to hold.
Metals
Mechanical Operator (Current Employee) –  Waggaman, LASeptember 17, 2015
my job is wheelabrator operater.... my job is ok...working conditions are ok...management is ok...need more working hours
Good working enviroment
Sale Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waggaman, LAJuly 17, 2015
I enjoy what I do here at Metals USA. Some of the co-worker are friendly. The hour and benefit are good. I just think the pay can be alot better.
I answered multi-line phones, Submitted billing, Photocopied, and Filed documents under a filing system,
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 20, 2015
I would answer multi-line phones, complete invoices and orders, submit billing, file and retrieve documents from a filing system, and fax documents. I learned a valuable lesson from this position that I hope for in another. I was able to work as an important team member, contributing skills from my past position but also picking up more skills, such as billing. My co-workers and management were great. There was nothing hard about this position, it was the best experience I could ever embrace! I love clerical work and the atmosphere was awesome!
Pros
Clerical work
great place to work
60 Slitter (Current Employee) –  Horicon, WIApril 19, 2015
i enjoy my work here . the employees are great people to work with and the work is not terribly hard on the body lots of chances to promote within the company although the they don't pay as much as they should to employees who have worked there for many years its a great environment to be in.
Pros
lots of hours and great people to work with
Cons
management inexperienced
Mom & Pop workplace
PAYROLL/ACCOUNTING ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Excellent work environment
A typical day at work would be very busy and long.
Learned a lot working here.....did cross training for 2 departments
Pros
long lunches
Cons
company location
good company
former employee (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PANovember 7, 2014
great company to work for. Work and keep your head down and stay out of the drama and you can make it along way.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
lots of drama
Fun place to work, but there's little room for career advancement
Plasma Machine Operator/CAD Operator (Current Employee) –  Waggaman, LAOctober 26, 2014
I am currently working as an CAD Operator. I prepare the 2D drawings to get cut by the plasma and laser machinery. I use the following programs: AutoCAD and SigmaNEST. Microsoft Office is used daily by me to prepare to prepare documents and sent status reports.
no fun working here
Operator I (Former Employee) –  Waggaman, LAOctober 19, 2014
the best part of the day was at the end of the shift .o and if you needed help the coworkers were their for you.
Pros
2 15 min breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch
Cons
no rases