Metals USA

Metals USA Employer Reviews

productive
Lead-Man/ Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Orange, CAJuly 4, 2014
loved this job. enjoyed comming to work every day. learned more and more each day. people were very nice and it was easy to work with them all.
NOT A VERY GOOD PLACE TO WORK.
Inventory Control craftsman & Machinist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2014
Pros: paid you to make up your hours with vacation time.
Cons: not enough hours to get paid.
THEY CUT MY HOURS FROM EIGHT HOURS TO FIVE HOURS PER DAY. WE HAD NO OVERTIME TO MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME.
Focused workforce and excellent benefits.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee), Springfield, OHMay 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits.
Cons: small group of employees.
An average day involved pre-process run inspection in the mornings, customer rejections and document control mid-day and Statistical Process Control or metrics in the afternoons. The work environment was fast paced at times and easy going at others. I learned to make the most efficient use of my time possible while I was there. The hardest part of my – more... job was keeping up with production when we were busy. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was doing Quality Control. I found it very rewarding and enjoyed learning to do the job. – less
Fun work place. goofy guys but good workers when it was time to start
Temporary Employee (Former Employee), Horicon, WIApril 29, 2014
Pros: movies on lunch hour
Cons: early mornings
I worked with about six other people. they were all friendly and all hard working. If there was something i didn't understand they would do there best to help me understand it or find a better was of doing something
Gregor Technologies former employee
dosent matter (Former Employee), gregor tech torrington ctApril 26, 2014
Pros: yeah right
Cons: everything
What a joke. Wasted two years and half of my life in this place. Great co workers but management was a joke. Demoted for taking leave when my son was born. Pay . Ha ha ha. Homeless ppl make more money. Promises things you never get. Experts at passing the buck. Constant harresment. And dirty toilets. Was let go for going to school to improve my life – more... so I could escape this dump. Oh yeah and if ur a woman beware. Cause the plant manager will sexually harrass you. Its what he does best. – less
Challenging work environment with numerous opportunities
Regional Controller (Current Employee), Richardson, TXApril 16, 2014
Solid company with great collaborative culture. Broad skill set that affords great learning experience.
Pretty Decent Benefits
CNC Operator/Machinist (Former Employee), Columbus, MSFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: morning break and long luch, great benefits
Cons: horrible management
Metals USA in Columbus, MS has been around for many years. I CAN say that they have pretty good benefits. A typical day at work with them has it's ups and downs. There are some really good people that I worked with there. Management however, has a nice pretty mesmerizing cover, but once you open the book and read through about halfway, you realize they – more... are mainly just all talk when it comes to their workers. Secretly, their ONLY focus is how much money that they can put in the bank. We would have safety meetings every week once in the afternoons right before we got off on day shift. The big boss would always say, "Safety First Guys". That was his motto. But secretly it was a different story. I believe it still is a different story even though I haven't been there in a little while. Alot of business only talk safety because it is their JOB to.. not because they actually care. I believe Metals USA is one of those companies. It is one thing to tell your workers to always make sure you have your gloves on and eye protection and another thing to fire a guy for accidentally breaking his finger WHILE having gloves on. While at the same time, a few years earlier, almost the same situation happened to a guy who DID NOT have ANY safety equipment on at all. The point is, they are after the best working guys that will make them the most money. And it is understandable, Yes, I get it.. But what is gonna happen when that guy you just made a supervisor, gets injured again and he can never work again all from not wearing safety equipment? The most enjoyable part of the job was having a morning break and a long lunch. – less
The job is easy and can be done, but the company makes it difficult to do your job.
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Waggaman, LADecember 19, 2013
Would be a better work place if they would fix and provide the materials needed to work.
Sales
Inside Sales (Current Employee), Langhorne, PADecember 2, 2013
It's a sales job, the managers get very nice. Sales just isn't my thing.
Good work environment, fast paced!
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Orange, CANovember 15, 2013
I've learned to juggle different duties in an extremely fast paced enviornment.
Having fun while still getting the job done.
Certified Crane Operator (Former Employee), Wooster OHSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: steak luncheon every 3 months
I was able to have fun while at work and talk to my co-workers while still having time to get the job done
Metals USA was a good place to work.
PLANT MANAGER, JEFFREYS STEEL COMPANY (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLAugust 6, 2013
Pros: the family type atmosphere and the team work.
Cons: they sold out to allied crawford
I worked long hours at Metals USA. I wrote all the programs for the burning machine, I did all the layout work and machine set up for our punch press. I worked 6 days a week. I would come in on Saturdays to do payroll.
I was able to learn 2 programming formats: ESSI & EIA. I learned a lot of shop math ( which fasinates me ).
The Management at Metals – more... USA were good people and my co-workers ( like Allied Crawford ) were like family. Again the hardest part of any managers job is to terminate a fellow employee while the most enjoyable part of the job is to reward an employee that shows
that he or she is there for more than a paycheck. – less
Great team of workers
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee), Rockford, ILJuly 2, 2013
Great business from top to bottom. Clean metal pieces sizes and weight varies. Co-Worker are helpful when needed and explain day not over bearing. Management is active with the employees work hand and hand when needed and give good direction if asked question about anything as far as benefits, advancements, and what to expect all around.
good job
Crane Operator forklift operator (Former Employee), Madison, ILJune 29, 2013
good job good benifits company was bought by another and was liquidated
slow hours and rude bosses
60" slitter operator (Former Employee), Horicon, WIJune 17, 2013
Pros: payed ok money at 12.25 and lots of overtime
Cons: the supervisors are hard and rude and can get hurt easily
The hours were slow the people were ok but the management was awful. they paid ok but it was a dead end job that wouldn't give employees raises at all, even the people who were there over 10 years were making less then me because I worked 3rd shift so I had like a 50 cent raise over the veterans on first shift.
Productive work place
Inventory and Billing Clerk (Former Employee), Langhorne, PAJune 2, 2013
Pros: organized, always something to do, friendly co-workers
I really enjoyed this job however I had just been hired during the wrong time. One of the things I enjoyed most about this job was the fact that there was always something to do from the time you clocked until you left so it helped to make the day go faster. There was also an unlimited amount of overtime and that was rare but in a good way.
overall great place to work
Buyer / Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Wichita, KSMay 24, 2013
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: laid off wichita location ceased
Great Place to Work. Great co-workers! laid off in April 2013 Business ended with the Wichita Kansas location.
all of my co-works were great to work with, everyone got along very well.
a job that makes you work hard and fast
Material Handler (Former Employee), Waggaman, LAApril 5, 2013
Pros: challenging
Cons: very physical
hitting the ground running and have to be constantly aware of all the activity going on around you.
Very productive, mature, and responsible workplace.
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee), Horicon, WIDecember 17, 2012
Pros: friendly, close to home, job experience.
Cons: 3rd shift, short breaks, low pay.
I stay really busy working in the shipping department. My supervisors and leads are very responsible and professional. The co-workers i work with are really nice. Its an all in all very mature and friendly workplace. I try to have a goal of shipping out more and more trailers a day. I learned how to operate forklifts side-loaders and over head cranes. – more... I also learned how to print tags and Bill of loading's. I also learned how to use the warehouse programs. Stelplan – less
Counterproductive and kind of a free for all
Department Manager (Current Employee), Langhorne, PaDecember 11, 2012
Pros: bonus checks, overtime
Cons: everything else
Working at Metals is different for sure. In one aspect, its the first job I have had that offers bonus checks and overtime, on the other hand after a few months here you begin to notice how badly managed the resources and employees are at this branch.
Most work places I have encountered will come with a bit of gossiping and personal conversations which – more... some would deem inappropriate.
Metals takes the cake in the contest for most inappropriate workplace behavior and conversation I have seen yet. Employees here regularly talk about their drinking habits, personal lives and make inappropriate jokes that include innuendo and other inappropriate content.
The people who work here are all well into adulthood and this is why i find the behavior so shocking and also the fact that it never seems to be addressed by management, which might be because now and again management will join in.
I have overheard supervisors talk about their subordinates, because there is an open floor plan, so not much can be talked about without the entire building hearing.
Aside from the level of unprofessional behavior in that aspect, it’s easy to walk in to metals and find many people who are completing busy work and slacking off, or creating more work for themselves in an effort to get overtime that is not needed.
The work at metals is interesting, however, many times if you are a worker bee you are pulling the weight of others.
Talking to management doesn’t help, I have addressed certain issues with only to be made fun of to my face. Raises? Not at metals, not even raises you are promised when you are hired. Perhaps the motivation for the slackers here. Now and again metals will buy a lunch for all and have some small branch events that are very nice, but if you biggest pet peeve is unprofessional behavior and slackers, like mine is, than it can be very frustrating.
The most frustrating thing for me, being that I am very technology savvy, is that the entire branch is about 20 years behind in the technology game and everything i have made an effort to bring up to date and make it easier and more incumbent on digital space rather than physical space, has been smothered and been made a point to go back to the old ways, all of which management makes no effort to work on. – less

January 9, 2013

As a former employee I can tell you this is the #1 reason why I left. I’m sure other Metals USA locations are great to work for, but not Langhorne, those people are the most bizarre and ill-mannered people you will ever encounter in your lifetime.

January 15, 2013

I agree. as a current employee who is barely making ends meet, i find some of this to be 100 percent acurate.Some of this I have not seen personally.. but I would not put it past some of the people here.

About Metals USA

Metals USA is a leading provider of value-added metal processing and inventory management services. In 2009, Metals USA sold over – Read more