MetalTek International Employee Reviews

Make good products, but the politics is beyond reasonable.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 16, 2017
I learned that politics is more important than knowledge and doing your job. Very irritating and unfair that management consistently let some "favored" employees routinely skip over details of work they were supposed to do and speed on to other work with no consequences, and then for some reason the very time consuming mop-up work fell into your workload.
Cons
Politics of having to fix lazy co-workers' intentional oversights.
overworked and underpaid
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 13, 2017
Not a complementary system to growth or recognition. Just do it my way and keep your mouth shut mentality. Stress six sigma but don't practice what they preach.
productive and hot work environment
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 7, 2017
A work day was always hot. you had no idea what you would be doing you had to know each job there was, witch i liked about the company. you never stood, always busy
enjoy the work
Foundry Utility (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WIApril 3, 2017
Nice place to work unfortunately they couldn't understand I was having car problems at the time being their so I wouldnt make it their exactly at 4am but now I have a car and it's new so I know it won't let me down!
poor management
Lead/Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 9, 2017
total breakdown of upper management which ended the business. They took a business that had run successfully for 35 years and inside of 4 years lost the trust and business of many customers which ended the Metaltek business in lakeland.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
poor management
Enjoyed the overall experience.
Cast finisher (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WIFebruary 12, 2017
Liked the different types of jobs I had the chance to learn. But didn't care for the poor management skills that my supervisor had. Kind of hard to do my job if the person I was working with was sleeping.
Pros
None that I can remember.
Cons
Attendance policy is harsh
Grinder Grinder Grinder
Grinder (Former Employee) –  Pevely, MOOctober 20, 2016
I was a "grinder." I'll start with the positives: ......Nevermind, there aren't any. What you do is put on this thick wool body suit, boots, gloves a hard hat and face shield that has more of that thick hot wool wrapped around your head. You're also wearing safety glasses underneath all that as well as ear plugs. You can't breathe in it so you have to hook up a hose to the helmet that blows air in your face all day. On top of the discomfort of the equipment, you have to hold this metal grinder and lift it, pull it, push it, carry it around all day. It's about 15 lbs which isnt much but considering you only get one 30 minute break during your 9 hour shift, your arms, back and neck are dead at the end of the day. It's loud in there so don't expect to have an occasional conversation with anybody. You're just going to stand there in silence thinking about how much you hate your job. It stinks and it's filthy in that place. For the work you do, the pay is unreasonably low. I couldnt even tell you who management was. I dont recall ever seeing them. The co workers were basically objects in the background. It's like walking through a crowd of statues. They don't talk, you don't talk. You're just there. This is the only job I have ever walked out on. I was walking back in from lunch one day and I remember thinking I would rather be broke than do this for another minute. I turned around and left and never regret it for a second. No matter how bad you need a job, trust me, this is not the place to go. Keep looking. I'm not trying to be negative here, but there honestly is nothing positive  more... to say about that job. It was the worst job I've ever had. You're gonna be overworked and paid so little you'll be lucky to be able to pay your bills.  less
Pros
I got really good at being depressed while working here. That's gotta count for something right?
Cons
I mean, if you wanna work really hard and get paid like you work at McDonalds, this is the place for you
Loved to work safety
EHS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 14, 2016
The company is a very good company in which safety is considered the first priority.
Conducted site assessments at several MetalTek divisions to improve safety culture and programs.
Member of the EHS Shared Services team in which worked with incident reviews & follow-up, updating safety plans & programs and sharing best practices.
Conducted environmental reporting and permits including air, storm water and NESHAP.

Trained employees using the STOP for Each Other program (DUPONT)

Reduced injury rate from above 18 to below 3.4 within 3 years.
Pros
Upper Management supported Safety
Good Pay and Benefits
Welder A (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 20, 2016
Good place to work just bad management and decisions lead to shut down of plant. Has good potential and would recommend this company to work for
Freindly Workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FloridaSeptember 12, 2016
MetalTek is a friendly workplace. Very family oriented and makes sure everyone is comfortable in their job. there are so many aspects of the company, that it is hard to point out a really bad thing or a really good thing.
Pros
Family type atmosphere
Cons
The fact that we are closing
Great company to work
Materials Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 1, 2016
MetalTek has been a great company to work for, they have great pay and benefits and care about their employees. The most enjoyable thing about working for MetalTek was their 21 behaviors that they instill in their employees. It is a set of expectations to live by as a part of the MetalTek family.
Pros
Pay, benefits, culture
Cons
Job security, industry problems
On a downward spiral!
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIAugust 15, 2016
This is the most unethical company i have ever worked for. For some reason the stupidier and lazier you are the farther ahead you get in this useless company. The management does not have a clue how to run a successful business. And the good workers are crapped on until they get sick of it and quit! I swear someone is getting paid to destroy a once successful company.
Pros
Cons
Terrible place to work
What a joke
Welder (Former Employee) –  Pevely, MOJuly 23, 2016
They over work you and under pay you they do stuff the customer asked not to be done just to get the job done no matter if it works or not. Worked at the Pevely MO plant terrible place and upper management doesn't have a clue.
Pros
The co-workers
Cons
To many to mention
A joke.
Fitting Leadman (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 2, 2016
Worst place to make money as a qualified welder so please if anyone reads this, take your skills somewhere else to be acknowledged because at MetalTek they dont do that. They also like to throw employees under the bus when its convenient for the supervisors or PM's. Its all about politics at MetalTek!
Pros
CoWorkers
Cons
Everything else
not culturally sound
former employee (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHFebruary 5, 2016
This division is hoping beyond hope to turn things around, scrap and destruction are SOP. Many rookie players that are in over their heads
Pros
Cons
antiquated plant
Out of control Managment
CNC Plasma Operator (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 21, 2015
Poor. Found My supervisor in the smoking area more then in work. Wasn't willing to provide any help...He was inexperienced..
rough
Wisconsin Centrifugal - Foundry operator/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIDecember 12, 2015
typical every shift hates/ blames the others, after recording daily pour weights third shift poured twice as much as the other shifts, but no changes were made, third shift still considered lazy. the name of the game is seniority, if you have been there longer you are pretty much immune to firings no matter how uneducated or incompetent (even if you're unsafe on the floor). im still amazed at how poorly run this place is, and really wish they would have listened when i was there catching all of the gross incompetence.
Pros
if you have been there long enough you'll never get fired
Cons
most everything
I learned a lot
Line Inspector/QA Technician (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WINovember 22, 2015
Typical day entails creating inspection planning reports, inspecting machined parts with micrometers, running parts through the CMM and assembling micrometers for operators.

I learned a lot about inspection planning and it's requirements by the company and the customer. I also learned how to operate a CMM.

My supervisor was a good one when he received his position, but then he went from asking for input to saying because I said so.

My co-workers were the best group to work with. I couldn't ask for better.

There really wasn't anything that was too difficult that I couldn't handle.

The most enjoyable aspect of what I did was knowing that I left the inspector coming in after me in good shape, meaning that they didn't have to pick up the pieces I left.
A vary productive and trust worthy workplace that takes care of there employes.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 14, 2015
I had a great experience with this company they showed me a lot and taught a lot. This company has great benefits and holiday pay.
Pros
higher pay scale
Cons
vary durty work place
Good to their employees
GRINDER (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WINovember 11, 2015
Good place to work with decent and fair management. extremely focused on safety. employees/coworkers are friendly and helpful.
They have a good HR department and its nice that they have their own health service office.
Pros
profit sharing and decent hourly wage
Cons
every 5 years the orders drop off and they are now laying off.