Methodist Dallas Medical Center

Methodist Dallas Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Saving patients, helping patients and oher employees
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 6, 2016
A typical day at Methodist Hospital was always interesting, you never know what problems your were going to run into. It definitely was a challenge which is what i like.
I learned pushing patients in wheelchairs to their correct locations is just as important as saving them.
Management was fantastic, they knew how to talk to everyone respectfully and full of passion about their jobs, and if you had any questions they weren't unapproachable to ask.
Hardest part of the job was that the hospital so big that it was honestly like a maze to find the patients proper rooms.
The enjoyable part was talking to the patients to get them more comfortable and putting smiles on their faces while walking them to their locations, and I love mazes so it was hard but fun also
Pros
Meet different people everyday, excerise, entertaining the patients
Cons
chances of getting sick, and getting lost
limited opportunity for advancement
Registered Nurse- ED (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 9, 2015
-limited opportunity for advancement
-management purposely keeps staffing low to cut costs
-management does not care of the employee's hard work and dedication to the company, does not compensate them appropriately, does not care if they stay or go
-high employee turnover due to poor management
Pros
self-scheduling
Cons
poorly staffed
Underappreciated
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 20, 2016
Methodist Dallas expects a lot from their nurses. You are the main point of contact for everyone, phone is constantly ringing, high demands placed on nurse while management sits in their office and doesn't offer to help. Nurses are all new and most inexperienced. You have to float a lot to help other short departments. Nurses and techs don't stay more than a year due to high stress environment.
Pros
pay is okay
Cons
poor manaement, nurse does everyones job, high turnover, stressful environment.
Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day at work is fast paced .
You have to attend to a high number of varied priority requests (interruptions) while still trying to produce your expected numbers daily.
The line managers need to have management training. they need improvement in delegation and micro management minimization.
Pros
Warm Atmosphere
Cons
Micro management
fast paced work environment
Patient Care Tech (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2015
I worked on a cardiac /med surg unit with a great group of nurses and techs we worked as a team to make sure all of the patients were taken care of adequately.
Pros
self-scheduling
Cons
management needs improvement
Busy practice with great co-workers
Staff nurse, SICU (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 14, 2015
A typical day at work is very busy with multiple admissions and transfers. Co-workers are the best and work as a team. I learned more about transplants and dialysis options. I also learned about trauma patients and rapid transfusion practices. The management of the unit itself has changed several times since I began working there, but they appear to strive for best practice outcomes for the patients. The hardest part of the job was making time for myself to take a break. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching patients improve and teaching new nursing graduates and nursing students.
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
short staffing a majority of the time
Overall fun place to work, meeting new people and great staff
Volunteer Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 19, 2015
I enjoy what I do, meeting new people, getting to know them and helping when they need help. What I enjoy the most is putting smiles on their faces when they walk through the doors showing hospitality. I am able to take classes for free, lunch discounts and most of all getting to help the patients that come to the hospital. Working with the staff is good it has it's up's and down's but more up's then down's. It's a fun place to work at, I get to move around and work other departments through out the hospital and just enjoy what I do.
Pros
educational classes (free)
Cons
sometimes short handed
Productive and nice environment
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 6, 2015
I like the other nurses working here. The place was fun and peaceful making the night go by quickly and efficiently. Had a lot of fun, learning and being able to care for those who needed care.
Great Place to Work
Environmental Services Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 3, 2015
•Answered telephones and transferred calls to appropriate supervisors
•Purchased office equipment, housekeeping supplies and submitting requisitions for major contracts by contacting vendors
•Organized the scheduling of department meetings to include catering and distrusted minutes
•Responsible for providing orientation to new employees using HHA Services training videos and administering test
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Change in Directors
Good Experience
EVS Aide (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXOctober 7, 2015
I learned alot from the staff and found working around the patients very comfortable. The experience is wonderful.and i would recommend those interested in working with this company.
I truly enjoyed working at this hospital. They were 100% in support of my skills as a LVN and supported me going back to school.
Staff Nurse - 4NE, Med-Surg Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 8, 2013
Methodist Dallas allowed me to grow as a nurse, personally and professionally. I was given opportunities in many areas....med-surg, telemetry, rehab, ortho, neuro, wound care, auditing, management, staff education and patient teaching and advocacy. While at Methodist, I was awarded the Allie Rae Dixon award for patient advocacy. I developed nursing friendships that I continue to have today.
Pros
great environment to develop nursing career, "patient is 1st" attitude, great coworkers
Cons
had to work night shifts, weekends and holidays, very stressful most fo the time but can't be helped due to the nature of the job
Fun Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 29, 2015
I absolutely love working at a Level 1 Trauma Center! Methodist is the BEST! I have learned so much in just 6 months that I am excited for the future here!
Stressful Place To Work
Hepatology Triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 4, 2014
The medical assistants are very standoffish refuse to help any of the LVN's. I have been to at least 30 meetings in 90 days (not about my work). The doctor I worked for was very arrogant always complained about everything (even if its something he overlooked). I went to HR once and was told "I'm surprised you are still there." I've had my work or documentation from a patients chart disappear. I could go on and on....not worth the stress!!!
Pros
benefits were great
Cons
arrogant doctors, snoody mid levels, pounds of work
N/a
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2015
It was a typical day at work. I enjoyed the work. Most of the co-workers were very helpful. The most enjoyable part about the job was the learning of new things.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Excellent Company
Chaplain Resident (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2015
I enjoyed my time at MDMC. I learned a lot, grew a lot, and will miss it. The hardest part was the on-call hours that are demanded.
Bait and Switch (a Sinking Ship)
(a part of the leadership) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TexasFebruary 3, 2013
Be very cautious, ask the tough questions, and get everything in writing. If you are talented, Methodist Dalllas will lure you in with a nice-looking comp package and then try to curtail your actions so that they can try to justify their own corrupt actions.
They are failing miserably and are robbing Peter to pay Paul. They are only interested in appearing to be strong and competitive and have no chance of survival in this google-aware and quality-driven culture. They continue to make the same mistakes and are not serious about implementing permanent and proven solutions. They lead through intimidation and are not open to outsiders' suggestions. Most of those in leadership have only worked within this system (the Methodist way). They will use you to 'check' a regulatory box (so they can appear to be doing the right things). They expect you to go along and do what you are told and not question the very tainted leadership. You are suppose to go to the gatherings, eat, greet, smile, and keep your mouth closed.
What they don't tell you: not enough staff; no budget for continuing education or professional development; no budget to replace failing equipment; they are still using an outdated operating system; the wireless environment fails and most of the time you are prevented from doing your job.
The Dallas Methodist hosipital is connected to the DFW MHS, but is not connected with the other Methodist hospitals around the country. It gives other Methodist hospitals a bad name. If you are a newbee to healthcare, this is no place to begin your career. If you have solid work experience,
  more... you will be disappointed. If you are burned out and want to coast to retirement, this is just the place for you (if they last that long).
Do your homework. Then RUN, don't walk, away from this 'Good Ole Boy' sinking ship.
Pros
nice (but naive or fearful) managers, directors and co-workers; compensation was adequate for the job description, but not for the actural work
Cons
everything else
Great place to start your career
MICU/CCU Telemetry Technician/ Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  texasMarch 13, 2015
I have learned alot from this company and all it's employees. Everyone is very friendly and willing to teach. Great teaching hospital with great physicians.
Pros
free parking
Large health system with many opportunities
RN Staff Nurse, Interventional Radiology (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 24, 2014
I came here as a travel nurse 6 years ago and never left. It has been a good career choice for me
Good hospital, great values
Radiology Technologist II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 22, 2012
A great hospital that regards compassionate patient care as a priority.
Pros
occasional opportunities to cross-train into ct, rotation through variety of assignments
Cons
expensive healthcare, compensation below market rate, not so safe location

Comment – July 31, 2012

This hospital used to be a good place to work for nurses but has really gone down over the years. Nursing management is disrespectful toward job applicants when it comes to setting up interviews and then not showing up to the scheduled interview. The hospital location has never been in a safe environment.

Comment – March 2, 2013

I do not know what Methodist is like to work for but there is nothing unsafe about the location. Oak Cliff is perceived to be unsafe and some areas are below pare, but Methodist lies at the edge of Kessler Park, a very nice and affluent part of Dallas. I have lived 2 miles from the hospital for over 20 years and feel perfectly safe.

Great learning experience
OR Staff Nurse Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 3, 2014
Learning experiences were good and many different things came through. Management was new and did not run things very efficiently but did a good job. co-workers were willing to teach and I learned a lot