METHODIST HOME FOR CHILDREN Employee Review

View all METHODIST HOME FOR CHILDREN reviews

Not a great place to be in New Bern
Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCSeptember 6, 2012
Shifts are long, at least 15 hours a day and you sleep on site. A typical day includes driving the students to school and appointments, grocery shopping, continually typing notes on student progress, helping students search for jobs, do homework, cook dinner, play sports. Assist students through behavioral outbursts/crisis using the given teaching model. The students I worked with were coming out of youth detention centers and are older (16-18) so they are difficult to work with and do not take instruction well if they don't see the immediate personal benefit. You will learn a LOT about communication, feedback, and working as a team.

Management in Raleigh's head office seems dedicated to the children and consistent in their efforts with new hires, but at the home was very biased towards certain employees and inconsistent with training, meetings, and giving feedback. Working with coworkers was even more difficult. Some didn't do any work, others didn't communicate, others seemed like everything was fine until they got a chance to talk to management.

The hardest part of the job is figuring out where you fit in. It seems like every time you start to figure it out something gets messed up. Turnover is high, which doesn't help. The most enjoyable part of the job is having those good moments with the kids where you know you've made a difference and feel that they really learned something and appreciate that you took the time to care.
Pros
free food at the home, great benefits
Cons
long shifts with no breaks, coworkers, sleep on site

Other METHODIST HOME FOR CHILDREN Employee Reviews

average daily routines
Certified Teacher (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCDecember 15, 2017
I would come in and review student work and goals for the day. I also needed to get updates on general moods, absences for the day, any visitors or meetings scheduled. On some days, I may have to discontinue teaching for a couple hours, or assign work for a counselor to monitor, in order to transport a student to an appointment or public school to meet with administration. The abilities to flow with last minute changes and not be judgmental are required components for working in this environment.
Pros
Had a great onsite supervisor, who left shortly after me.
Cons
Central office management makes arbitrary decisions and did not follow their own policy manual.
Children friendly
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GASeptember 19, 2017
the organization helps displaced and foster care children. This the one place I have work during my career and felt as though i made a difference Supportive team of consultants