Methodist Stone Oak Hospital

Methodist Stone Oak Hospital Employer Reviews

Horrible
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee), San Antonio TXJuly 1, 2014
Pros: a few co-workers
Cons: the director, hospital greed, level of healthcare
This was one of the worst jobs I have ever had the misfortune to work. The management was very weak. There was a lot of favoritism going on with the Director and a select few employees. There were a few dedicated employees but the majority were not interested in working and would disappear or just not do any work while leaving their co-worker swamped. – more... Two techs were having an affair and would leave the lab for hours while on the clock putting all of the workload on their co-workers. Security even caught these two techs in the parking lot in one of their cars having s-word. One person was still on the clock. These two were written up but never fired. Unbelievable!
The workload is horrendous. Techs are made to do the main percentage of specimen processing. The director even makes techs do histology so they don't have to hire a certified histology tech. Work flow was nonexistent. It was more chaotic than organized. The laboratory was never cleaned. The trash was pulled daily by EVS but that was all. If the director saw you were not busy she expected the techs to clean patient stickers off the floor with alcohol prep pads.
The techs doing the morning run are expected to do all specimen processing, run instruments, blood bank, urinalysis, chemistry, hematology, answer phones, and most importantly interpret results. Ridiculous!! Don't complain or they will turn on you and say you can't handle the job.
If you are not from Texas or are unwilling to conform to this chaotic workplace, move out of this state. Your life will be hard working at MHSO. They do not like outsiders and find any and every opportunity to criticize you personally and professionally.
The hospital requires you to buy certain color scrubs and also pay to have their logo embroidered on the scrub top. This is unheard of in any other state I have worked. Conform or be ridiculed. – less
Don't hire on to PCU floor!
Staff RN (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: paycheck
Cons: see list.
I am an experienced RN with many years of hospital nursing behind me and am used to different work environments. I've worked here for approx 2 years and am finally making the time to write reviews online warning future applicants about the PCU floor at Stone Oak Methodist in San Antonio.

You should know that SOM hospital has only been open for 5 years – more... so my guess is that the "green horn" managers/supervisors are left to "start up" this hospital.

PCU/Telemetry has a high turnover rate of nurses because of the following four reasons -

1. Extremely intense work environment
2. Understaffed nurse aides for a 40-patient floor
3. Our assistant nurse manager "unapproachable" as several nurses have put it.
4. Morning huddle consists of verbal "beatings"

75% of the day shift nurses are looking for work elsewhere, including myself now. Save yourself time and energy and don't bother applying to this floor! – less
travel friendly
Travel Nurse (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 4, 2013
Enjoyed working at this facility coworkers were very helpful and friendly great patient stisfaction
Methodist Wealthcare
Lead Processing Technician (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2013
Pros: direct and indirect patiet care
Cons: healthcare, management, company
A typical Day at work would be wondering if Management would find a way to blame employees for administrative mistakes. I learned that Methodist healthcare is built on wealth and business, and less on the pillars of patient healthcare as they preach. Management was absolutely incapable of making corrective decisions, and would play pass the buck on – more... its employees. Management does not follow companies policy, and thrives on chaos and dysfunction with inadequate quality polices and regualtions. The hardest part of my job is being asked to do unethical things, and worry about being repremanded for not doing something unethical. Not having proper support fro employees. I enjoyed working for the patients, and providing them a great healthcare experience, – less
Volunteer Services
Volunteer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 12, 2013
Pros: excellent growth environment.
Cons: the volunteer time is always so short. and i wish i had more time to give to them.
It is an excellent hospital in which to volunteer. You are one of the family and always treated with respect along with valued as part of the team.

There is always something worth while to do at Stone Oak as a volunteer. They are what they say they are in word and deed.
Productive and fun workplace
Registrar (Former Employee), San Antonio, TxJune 24, 2013
Pros: bonuses, benefits
Cons: shorts breaks, short staffed
Very busy, productive high volume of patients. Always staying busy which I enjoyed the most. I learned a lot about the patients and the HCA system. Management was very understanding and compassionate, they didn't treat you wrong in any way. Co-workers were team players.
I love a productive, fun work environment where EVERYONE is a "team player".
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2013
Pros: enjoyable place to work, nice, helpful staff.
Cons: no negatives, really.
A typical day at work now is preparing(washing, sterilizing )instruments in preparation for surgery. The hardest part of the job is repetitive very heavy lifting. I enjoy the job, running the autoclave and sterrad machines. Wrapping, learning what I didn't previously know about sterile processing. Our team gets along and works well together. Just miss – more... the OR ! – less
OR Nurse (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2013
A typical work day is busy with little help. I learned a lot of things to do and things not to do here. Management could be stronger but they do what they can. The hardest part of the job is not having enough support to get things done in a timely fashion.
Great RNs in the department to work with!
Traveling Nurse (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 14, 2012
Pros: teamwork
Cons: overstaffed
Some OBs can be a problem to work with especially if they do not get their way. Its hard to be patient advocate w/o some backlash.
Excellent coworkers
Sonographer (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 30, 2012
I really enjoy my coworkers. Our hospital is a new and up to date facility.