Methodist Stone Oak Hospital

Methodist Stone Oak Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

fast paced environment
Patient Care Assistant / Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 10, 2016
Great Team work Nurses love their jobs and the people they help and that reflects through the people there. sometimes the leadership is a little off because there are many employees but good place to work
I loved the job but not a well run department
HCA Methodist Stone Oak Central Scheduler (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 9, 2016
Overworked, understaffed, underpaid. I had no assistance from supervisor or management. I alone would book close to 2,000 cases a month. For more than 6 months I had been asking for another scheduler to be hired to help and also so I could take days off and have help with after hours call but was told there was a hiring freeze. The supervisor that was hired was not able to log in and help book cases because she was not trained how to book cases. Her primary responsibility was to just supervise staff.
Pros
The job itself was great
Cons
The pay and management of the department
Great place to work and learn!
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 15, 2015
I've learned so many things working at this job site. From doing my vital signs to helping patients through their stay and ADL's our team work here is wonderful. The doctors are nice, and nursing administration is always there to help.
Pros
Good teamwork
nice place to work
Patient Care Assistant- Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2015
Its a great place to work but as a student, the 12hr shifts can be hard to balance. other than that, the nurses are very nice and supportive, they are open minded and are willing to help when you need it.
Pros
free lunches on occasion
Cons
short break
Beautiful hospital
UNIT CLERK (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 21, 2015
Pay is low,management has favorite employees, company makes it hard for you to transfer to other positions . Management has favorites. Hospitals and managements seems to care about nurses more than any other positions. Never have enough pca and nurses seems stressed out all the time. Yo do not make much you have to pay for lunch and only 30 minute lunch and you cannot leave the property . Parking lot is dark no security on the lot at stone oak location
Pros
CLEAN AND PRETTY HOSPITAL, HAVE TUITION ASSISTANCE
Cons
SHORT BREAKS, NURSES ARE STRESSED, NURSES ARE #1 concern at hospital
Probably the worst work environment I have ever been in.
Cardiovascular Technologist II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 25, 2015
Where to start. Management knows nothing about how a cath lab should be run let alone how to work in one. Management gives special treatment to certain employees while others are expected to carry the brunt of all the work. Lazy coworkers that have no desire to learn and help make the work environment better. Don't get me wrong, the place could be great with the right leadership but unfortunately i don't forsee that any time soon.
Pros
When I can clock out at the end of the day.
Cons
Poor management, lazy coworkers and nursing staff that care more about their cell phones than the patients.
Fun at first
Secretary II- Perioperative (Former Employee) –  San AntonioApril 16, 2015
I enjoyed my job and learned a lot at Main Methodist which is where I should have stayed but transferred to MSOH there were too many chiefs, too many people wanting to run dept that were not theirs.
Productive fun place to work
Environmental Services Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TxJanuary 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is to help and care for the patient and need.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
short breaks
Horrible
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TXJuly 1, 2014
This was one of the worst jobs I have ever had the misfortune to work. The management was very weak. There was a lot of favoritism going on with the Director and a select few employees. There were a few dedicated employees but the majority were not interested in working and would disappear or just not do any work while leaving their co-worker swamped. Two techs were having an affair and would leave the lab for hours while on the clock putting all of the workload on their co-workers. Security even caught these two techs in the parking lot in one of their cars having s-word. One person was still on the clock. These two were written up but never fired. Unbelievable!
The workload is horrendous. Techs are made to do the main percentage of specimen processing. The director even makes techs do histology so they don't have to hire a certified histology tech. Work flow was nonexistent. It was more chaotic than organized. The laboratory was never cleaned. The trash was pulled daily by EVS but that was all. If the director saw you were not busy she expected the techs to clean patient stickers off the floor with alcohol prep pads.
The techs doing the morning run are expected to do all specimen processing, run instruments, blood bank, urinalysis, chemistry, hematology, answer phones, and most importantly interpret results. Ridiculous!! Don't complain or they will turn on you and say you can't handle the job.
If you are not from Texas or are unwilling to conform to this chaotic workplace, move out of this state. Your life will be hard working at MHSO. They do not like outsiders and find any
  more... and every opportunity to criticize you personally and professionally.
The hospital requires you to buy certain color scrubs and also pay to have their logo embroidered on the scrub top. This is unheard of in any other state I have worked. Conform or be ridiculed.
Pros
a few co-workers
Cons
the director, hospital greed, level of healthcare
PCU/Tele
rn (Current Employee) –  san antonio txFebruary 25, 2014
All private rooms, high patient satisfaction scores, flexible scheduling, super clean hospital. Lots of employee recognition activities. Ratio 1:5 or 1:6 with call ins. This is a busy floor as most Tele/PCU units are. CEO/CNO that round on units visiting with both employees and patients. Employees have a voice on unit. Am happy to be a part of a healthcare team that focuses on pt safety, quality and employee satisfaction. PCU/Tele is tough, but we pull together and help each other out.
Pros
safety, quality, teamwork, new leadership
Cons
a bit far to drive
Don't hire on to PCU floor!
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2014
I am an experienced RN with many years of hospital nursing behind me and am used to different work environments. I've worked here for approx 2 years and am finally making the time to write reviews online warning future applicants about the PCU floor at Stone Oak Methodist in San Antonio.

You should know that SOM hospital has only been open for 5 years so my guess is that the "green horn" managers/supervisors are left to "start up" this hospital.

PCU/Telemetry has a high turnover rate of nurses because of the following four reasons -

1. Extremely intense work environment
2. Understaffed nurse aides for a 40-patient floor
3. Our assistant nurse manager "unapproachable" as several nurses have put it.
4. Morning huddle consists of verbal "beatings"

75% of the day shift nurses are looking for work elsewhere, including myself now. Save yourself time and energy and don't bother applying to this floor!
Pros
paycheck
Cons
see list.
Methodist Wealthcare
Lead Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2013
A typical Day at work would be wondering if Management would find a way to blame employees for administrative mistakes. I learned that Methodist healthcare is built on wealth and business, and less on the pillars of patient healthcare as they preach. Management was absolutely incapable of making corrective decisions, and would play pass the buck on its employees. Management does not follow companies policy, and thrives on chaos and dysfunction with inadequate quality polices and regualtions. The hardest part of my job is being asked to do unethical things, and worry about being repremanded for not doing something unethical. Not having proper support fro employees. I enjoyed working for the patients, and providing them a great healthcare experience,
Pros
direct and indirect patiet care
Cons
healthcare, management, company
Productive and fun workplace
Registrar (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TxJune 24, 2013
Very busy, productive high volume of patients. Always staying busy which I enjoyed the most. I learned a lot about the patients and the HCA system. Management was very understanding and compassionate, they didn't treat you wrong in any way. Co-workers were team players.
Pros
bonuses, benefits
Cons
shorts breaks, short staffed
I love a productive, fun work environment where EVERYONE is a "team player".
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2013
A typical day at work now is preparing(washing, sterilizing )instruments in preparation for surgery. The hardest part of the job is repetitive very heavy lifting. I enjoy the job, running the autoclave and sterrad machines. Wrapping, learning what I didn't previously know about sterile processing. Our team gets along and works well together. Just miss the OR !
Pros
enjoyable place to work, nice, helpful staff.
Cons
no negatives, really.
OR Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2013
A typical work day is busy with little help. I learned a lot of things to do and things not to do here. Management could be stronger but they do what they can. The hardest part of the job is not having enough support to get things done in a timely fashion.
Great RNs in the department to work with!
Traveling Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 14, 2012
Some OBs can be a problem to work with especially if they do not get their way. Its hard to be patient advocate w/o some backlash.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
overstaffed
Excellent coworkers
Sonographer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 30, 2012
I really enjoy my coworkers. Our hospital is a new and up to date facility.

2.9