Metra

Metra Employee Reviews

its good to start there with no experience then go to frieght
Locomotive railroad foreman (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 8, 2015
Freight is better in the sense they continue to purchase new locomotives and changes in technology where as Metra has an older fleet
productive railroad company with room to grow
Laborer/Engine Watchman (Former Employee), Fox Lake, ILMarch 2, 2015
Working fort Metra was a great experience. Learning how locomotives work with all of the maintenance & repairs needed was a lot to learn. learning how to operate a locomotive was by far the hardest part of it all.
It was a great place to learn
Commuincations Engineer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2014
Pros: good benefits and work to life balance
Cons: not paying the prevailing wage.
I came up through the ranks and overall had a good experience.
METRA is a great company with vast opportunities
Signalman/Maintainer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2014
Pros: work enviroment management safety
METRA is a top notch comuter railroad
management was fair and required safe efficient work
I left for personal reasons that have since been resolved
alw/s busy
Picker Packer (Former Employee), Holly Hill, FLFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: pay was good
Cons: the point system was a little extreme.
As a Picker/packer I stayed very busy at Metra. I enjoyed the shipping part of the job. I did learn how to use the shipping computers and software.
Frontline Metra Station Services Supervisor
COMMUNICATIONS/CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits.
Cons: lack of upward mobility.
Managed various Metra stations oversaw operations, reported train locations to GPS. Responsible for reporting to upper management on various passenger issues, service disruptions and supervised ticket office operations and emergency issues. I worked various hours but mostly 3rd shift (4pm to 1am). I learned a great deal about train operations, rules and regulations. Trained in customer service, drug testing and observation of employees. I worked closely with upper management, CEO, train master and yard master. My co-workers included Metra GPS, Communications Supervisors, District Supervisors and Ticket Office staff, Metra Police and Amtrak staff. The hardest part about my job was dealing with drunk, unruly and irate passengers. The most enjoyable part of my Job was assisting the many passengers that came through our various stations and being a representative of Metra and of Chicago for the various tourists that would come through,
learned a lot of new and different job skills
Tower Operator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 15, 2013
I learned how to drive a forklift truck, a semi truck with air brakes
I operated an interlocking machine....that controlled tracks, signals and engines for train movement
Small international exporter and freight forwarder
Office Manager (Former Employee), Holland, OHJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: family business
Cons: family business
Family business, started as international exporter of automotive and marine products, flexed into provision of software designed to eliminate this industry's heavy paper documentation footprint. Parallel provider of freight-forwarding services. Highl- principled organization with an equal demand for quality work. I was a glorified gopher.
I put car radio frames together
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Holly Hill, FLSeptember 24, 2012
I would watch the machine, to sure 2 peices come out, then put them together, and pack them in a box

About Metra

Every weekday hundreds of thousands of passengers wend their way into and around the Windy City via the Northeast Illinois Regional – Read more