Metra Employee Reviews in United States

Good Place to work for
A.C. Electrician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2016
Was a good place to work for. The people were very friendly and worked as a team. Management was good to work with as well. Worked with little to no Supervision. They let you so your work and only come to you if they needed something.
Good company t work for.
A.C. Electrician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2016
Good company good environment. Good people, Good benefits. Enjoy working for them. U would recommend anyone to work for them.
Great Government job
Engineer in Training (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2016
Positive atmosphere, with great people. Dangerous job, but always a fun time to say the least. Very busy on holidays, and tons of training necessary.
Pros
free train rides
Cons
Distant drives to stations
My work environment was safe but serious
Load Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 21, 2016
Being a load dispatcher is sort of like being a air traffic controller with the difference being trains. The railroad ran a lot of trains and my responsibility was to keep the power on so that the trains could operate. This presented challenges during bad weather and during times when equipment would fail for one reason or another. Over all it was a very good job and I loved it very much.
Pros
Excellent place to work.
Cons
Metra is a 365 day a year job, and, there are not a lot of the jobs that are off weekends, It takes almost a career to get a first shift position, or to have weekends off.
Productive and friendly environment to Learn and Share Knowledge.
Intern Web Development and Database Systems (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2015
Working as a part of Metra provide you a good experience to learn and share your skills. Got hands on experience on Real time projects and worked on various technologies ike: Php, javScript and databses as SQL server 2014.
Very Productive
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
My days interning at Metra Human Resource department was very insightful. I shadowed employers around and sat in on various interviews. Although it was a required service learning, I really enjoyed the intern.
Great place to work overall, good pay and benefits. Good environment
Carman (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
Start the day with safety briefing and job assignments, everyone does their assigned work through the day and turns in everything they did at the end.

Learned the differences between passenger and freight cars and the different ways to work on them.

Management is tight but not unreasonable.

Hardest part of the job is working a swing shift, 7:45 am - 3:45 pm Tues/Wed and 11:59 pm - 7:59 am isn't exactly glamorous.

I really enjoy the environment of working as a team with each employee having a specific role.
its good to start there with no experience then go to frieght
Locomotive railroad foreman (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2015
Freight is better in the sense they continue to purchase new locomotives and changes in technology where as Metra has an older fleet
productive railroad company with room to grow
Laborer/Engine Watchman (Former Employee) –  Fox Lake, ILMarch 2, 2015
Working fort Metra was a great experience. Learning how locomotives work with all of the maintenance & repairs needed was a lot to learn. learning how to operate a locomotive was by far the hardest part of it all.
It was a great place to learn
Commuincations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2014
I came up through the ranks and overall had a good experience.
Pros
good benefits and work to life balance
Cons
not paying the prevailing wage.
METRA is a great company with vast opportunities
Signalman/Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2014
METRA is a top notch comuter railroad
management was fair and required safe efficient work
I left for personal reasons that have since been resolved
Pros
work enviroment management safety
alw/s busy
Picker Packer (Former Employee) –  Holly Hill, FLFebruary 23, 2014
As a Picker/packer I stayed very busy at Metra. I enjoyed the shipping part of the job. I did learn how to use the shipping computers and software.
Pros
pay was good
Cons
the point system was a little extreme.
Frontline Metra Station Services Supervisor
COMMUNICATIONS/CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2014
Managed various Metra stations oversaw operations, reported train locations to GPS. Responsible for reporting to upper management on various passenger issues, service disruptions and supervised ticket office operations and emergency issues. I worked various hours but mostly 3rd shift (4pm to 1am). I learned a great deal about train operations, rules and regulations. Trained in customer service, drug testing and observation of employees. I worked closely with upper management, CEO, train master and yard master. My co-workers included Metra GPS, Communications Supervisors, District Supervisors and Ticket Office staff, Metra Police and Amtrak staff. The hardest part about my job was dealing with drunk, unruly and irate passengers. The most enjoyable part of my Job was assisting the many passengers that came through our various stations and being a representative of Metra and of Chicago for the various tourists that would come through,
Pros
great pay and benefits.
Cons
lack of upward mobility.
learned a lot of new and different job skills
Tower Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2013
I learned how to drive a forklift truck, a semi truck with air brakes
I operated an interlocking machine....that controlled tracks, signals and engines for train movement
Small international exporter and freight forwarder
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHJanuary 16, 2013
Family business, started as international exporter of automotive and marine products, flexed into provision of software designed to eliminate this industry's heavy paper documentation footprint. Parallel provider of freight-forwarding services. Highl- principled organization with an equal demand for quality work. I was a glorified gopher.
Pros
family business
Cons
family business
I put car radio frames together
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Holly Hill, FLSeptember 24, 2012
I would watch the machine, to sure 2 peices come out, then put them together, and pack them in a box