Metro-North Railroad Employee Reviews in United States

Good company to get career started.
Procurement (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
Room for advancement may be blocked by long timers. Remember above all this is a railroad. Company trying to change culture after 30 years.
Easy-going environment
Corporate Compliance Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2015
Working for this company as an intern has been an excellent experience. Specially since I am very interested in working for a transportation services company. My boss is the best mentor I've had, very easy-going, comprehensible and trustworthy.

Hardest part of the job has been working on tasks that I've never done, learning the new software and having to communicate in English, even though I am fully bilingual. I have definitely learned a lot of Corporate Compliance and my communication in English has gone from good to excellent.

I really enjoy my job and learning about Internal Controls and how different departments should work to have a better and functional company.
Pros
Reasonable breaks
good place to work, co-workers make the day better
Refrigeration Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2015
Started working for the railroad in 2004,found the people there nice to work with. Started in the M of E department, working on trains' hvac . Learned some stuff there that I really didn't get a chance to work with in school. In 2013 I transferred to the utilities department in grand central terminal N.Y.C ,where they have 4 electric centrifugal York chillers with a total 2700 tons. The people there a great ,had some exposure to big equipment. Worked with different crafts and contractors in the plant to convert old plant to new. Management is fair at the railroad, never had a problem. What I found enjoyable there is that information that you know gets swapped around for other co-workers information wich makes the work day a lot easier for everyone.
Pros
the more you know your job, the better your day
Cons
enviornment can be better, it is a railroad.
Great Place to work
Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2015
Great Benefits. Able to progress oneself educationally with engineering and project management. Project management is well organized, from project kick-off meeting to close out.
Pros
very interactive with project meetings.
Cons
it is a large organization, so an effort has to be made to maintain management coordination between departments.
Great pay and benefits
Catenary lineman (Former Employee) –  Springdale, CTApril 4, 2014
Loved working there . I didn't pass the the high stucture climbing school and was released
Changing culture, with unstable vision due to constant changes in leadership
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2014
A good place to work if you want to get a lot of experience, due to the amount of work, and the limited number of resources. Not so good if you don't handle stress too well. However, some of the management can be too hands on to make this statement absolute.

A majority of the co-workers are great, however, there are a large number of individuals that show up to collect their pay checks, and continue to get away with it.

The hardest part of the job is balancing the workload with the time in the day. And now that our department is Unionized, it isn't always clear what I am allowed to do.

I most enjoy working with the users, evaluating their requests, gathering requirements, designing the system, development (although this is now forbidden due to union rules). All the techy stuff ,basically.
Pros
lots of hands on work if you are willing to learn on the job
Cons
unstable leadership, due to turnover, uncertain future due to re-organization

Metro-North Railroad Reviews by Location