Metro Mattress Employee Reviews in United States

Incredible company to work for, with great leadership from Management
Regional Trainer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 8, 2016
A company who truly looks to better themselves with positive reinforcement and great pay for those who are on board with always trying to get better. Management is great, and amazing co-workers. Sometimes it can feel like a grind while working Holidays and weekends, but you're still working only 40-45 hours a week, and you'll always have 2 days off still.
Pros
Great earning potential, with positive work environment
Cons
You're working Holidays and weekends
Great Pay, Benefits, 401k Match
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 27, 2015
I've been here for over 4 years and there's nothing but great things about working for this company. Vacation is great, pay is great, hours are great and they pay overtime! The benefits along with 401k match is the best than any other company I've worked for. Very positive environment and the training is great. Corporate interacts with you along with any questions you may have they are there to help! The training is great because they want you to be successful and you have many opportunities to climb the success ladder.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, training, sympathetic, great team, and the 401k match is the highest than any other company, bonuses every month and end of the year
Not for me.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYMarch 29, 2016
I did not have a pleasant experience being employed by Metro Mattress, however, I wish their employees and leadership well in their future endeavors.
Great culture, great management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYSeptember 16, 2015
First, the bad. It is retail sales, so the hours are what they are and you can get a difficult customer once in a while. But on the flipside, you get great customers most of the time. Management is very good to support the effort and easy to be in contact. The company VP has made it a simple call to get nearly anything done. Regionals are always available and eager to help. I have not worked with a company setup better to help in store representatives. Plus, the commissions have been quite good. You will be solo in the store most of the time. Lots of free time and any customer who comes in is yours.
Pros
good management support
Cons
long hours, especially on holidays
Sales job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 3, 2015
you have the potential to make a good amount of money, you do endure the typical sales/customer service problems. some times you can work very long days and have little freedom with your social life but there is a give and take with constant contests, ways to win trips or bonus money.
Pros
money, bonus, hours, ability to move up
Cons
lack of personal life, sales based earnings, sales faux paw
Great boss and great company to work for if your willing to work the hours they give you.
Delivery Driver Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 8, 2014
I loved the job personally. As of August 6th 2014 I've been working here for a year I have made a lot of relationships with my co-workers along with my boss. The boss is an amazing person and is always willing to work with you on situations that are going on in your life. Ex. Vacation, Marriage, Death in the family even your basic sick day etc..
Pros
a lot of freedom
Cons
very poor work schedule
Company does a lot of advertising in hopes of getting people in the door.
Store Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYNovember 8, 2013
All employees work between 40-45 hours a week, always work the weekends, and close 3 nights a week. Management is well respected in the bedding industry with many years of experience. The people I work with are great. I have made many friends working here. The hardest part of the job is trying to sell someone with limited funds, a bed that will help them get a better nights sleep. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is knowing that I have helped someone achieve a good nights sleep without breaking the bank.
Slow work environment.
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 10, 2013
Most of the day is spent waiting for customers; and while it might be nice to just read a book on the down time it eventually gets really boring. Once you're promoted to assistant, or manager, there are days where you are in the store by yourself for 11 hours.

I learned a lot when it comes to sales experience, but I haven't been able to practice too much because we might only see 1-3 customers on an average day.

Upper management just sends down emails of sales goals, and often we are not recognized when we do well.

The hardest part of the job is trying to get someone to buy when they are bent on shopping around to all the different stores.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the in store staff; they're pretty nice to work with. Also, the satisfaction of knowing that when someone does buy a new mattress that they will be sleeping better.
Pros
easy going job, no limits on pay.
Cons
it can be busy one week, dead slow the next week.
no fun at all
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  rochester nyNovember 13, 2014
worst company ive ever worked for please b prepared to not have a life you work from 9:45 to 9pm you start off at 6.75 a hour
Pros
nake your own paycheck
Cons
micro manage long hours waiting for customers
keep nlooking unless you are desperate and then still keep looking
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 13, 2013
one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Poor training, terrible egocentric management, like a revolving door for employees, most employees take the job while looking for another one
overall very good work enviroment
Store Manager/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 18, 2013
Very good management, good pay. I enjoyed the game of selling.
some of the travel was a pain but overall it was a very good job.
Pros
good pay, you work you get paid
Cons
long hours, every weekend
Slow paced with lots of "down time".
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 14, 2013
Overall it’s an easy company to work for, with a large amount of down-time waiting and waiting
Pros
earnings, advancement opportunity.
Cons
healthcare, schedule, time off.
Not a great place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYAugust 5, 2014
They do not take into account work/ life balance.
Impossible expectations
Impossible to advance
Pros
easy job
Cons
too many to list
Great Company
Customer Service Positions (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYJuly 1, 2012
Overtime as needed, great managment. They worked with their employees
benefits
Cons
long hours @ times
Excellent company to quickly excel and broaden your horizons, provided you have the skill.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 25, 2012
A typical day at work as a store manager consisted of greeting customers, demonstrating product knowledge, making the sale, completing all documents, paperwork, transactions and handling store emails to and from corporate and warehouse personnel.

I learned a great deal from my co-workers, manager and senior management especially. Not only did I learn how mattresses work literally from top to bottom, but also how to be a better in sales and how to successfully manage, train and develop others using your accumulated knowledge.

I reported directly to the Regional manager of the Rochester Market, and occassionally the VP of Sales as well. Both were extremely flexible, knowledgable, intelligent and helpful.

Some co-workers were more helpful than others, some became good friends while others I hardly spoke to. Many senior members will go out of their way to congratulate you on performance and advancements.

The most difficult part of the job would have been having to unfortunately deal with being short staffed and working nearly twice a full time schedule.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my success in the form of figures, bonuses, company wide emails and always feeling great about yourself while watching your store's volume grow in addition to those you trained and worked with become successful.
Pros
excellent bonus incentives and commissions, helpful managament.
Cons
long shifts, up to 11 hours. calling in sick is next to impossible if it's your store.
excellent experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 29, 2012
A day at work involved opening the store, checking and responding to emails from corporate, developing sales strategies, performing sales presentations, selling products, training and reviewing employees, monitoring inventory and store volume. At the end of the night i would use our citrix system to verify all transactions and orders were processed correctly, batch out, file paperwork and close the store.

I learned how to be highly successful in sales in a retail environment. Additionally i learned how to manage, advise, praise, and discipline employees. I learned how to relate features and benefits of our products to the customer and various closing techniques.

My manager was the district manager of the Rochester region and vice president of sales. Both of which made the job very rewarding and enjoyable.

My coworkers were my assistant and managers from other stores. Most were helpful and easy to get a long with, while many often came to me for help and advice. There were a small few who were consistently unpleasant.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with highly upset customers whom were expecting a warranty replacement and we either denied or not patient enough for the process to come to a conclusion. As store manager i would get bombarded with calls, threats, etc. The reason why it was so difficult was due to the fact that warranty replacement was not my decision, jurisdiction or ability to influence. It was a corporate matter. Getting a hold of the corporate manager who handled these claims was hard enough.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was having the
  more... responsibility of running my own store and showing everyone just how well i can perform. My comparable sales numbers were always excellent and getting emails and calls from the CEO, VP of sales, my regional manager and other store managers congratulating me always made me feel great.  less
Pros
excellent pay, opportunity for advancement, challenging sales and amazing incentives.
Cons
understaffed, not allowed to go to school or work another job, negativity from corporate, poor job security.