Metro North Railroad

Metro North Railroad Employer Reviews

Exciting environment with unexpected challenges
Assistant Chief Medical Officer (Former Employee), New York and ConnecticutFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: dynamic, always changing, clinically challenging
Cons: we were outsourced!
Encouraged individual growth and provided a nurturing environment. unfortunately, my department was outsourced.
very litigious environment
Physician Assistant - Occupational Health (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 22, 2013
Pros: no brainer job
Cons: litiginous work environment
Glad to have been there. Glad to have learned occupational medicine. Glad I moved on
Good workplace and friendly environment.
Network Support Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 9, 2013
Pros: ride metro-north railroad free of charge, good medical benifits
Cons: hard to achieve job advancement
Metro North has been a good workplace for me. I have been able to use my technical skills working on new projects. I am involved in the upgrading of hardware and also troubleshooting user issues. These can include everything from network related issues to network administrative issues. We are also provided with training to improve our skill set. My – more... co-workers are nice to work with. I often work with them on projects in a team environment and also in individual situations. – less
Accomplish all due dates for Client.
Project Manager (Former Employee), NYC, UpstateApril 2, 2013
Perform all due dates on time no matter what situation or weather approach, we made it happen.
Stable job with good benefits
Conductor (Current Employee), New Haven, CTMarch 27, 2013
Pros: lounge areas, benefits, pay
Cons: travel, odd shifts
Train preparation for service, revenue collection, customer service inquiries. Learn the ins and outs of commuter train operations. Management is minimal as long as standards are maintained. The hardest part is showing up. The job offers a lot of opportunities for varying shifts and locations and good pay.
Not so productive
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), North White Plains, NYOctober 17, 2012
Would come in and take phone calls giving out fares and schedules. Learned about the different metro north lines, stops, and fares. Management had a lot of favoritism. Learning new updates that could happen at every second. Helping people.
Always busy.
Iron Worker/Mason/Welder (Former Employee), Bridgeport, CTOctober 15, 2012
Pros: beneifts
Cons: commute
This was a great place to work. I retired from there. Benefits were great and I was able to utilize my trade.
Political incompetence and greed rises to the top.
Conductor/ Manager - Training Department (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: bullying, unskilled management; poor union representation
As a recent retiree of Metro-North Railroad, and one of the first female conductors hired in its and Conrail's history, I have experienced the best and the worst this company has to offer. My days were long (both in the management and the crafts) with job quality (hours, days off, accommodations, ability to earn) growing - only to plummet again. But – more... I have retired with a wonderful pension that enables me never to have to work again - if I don't want to. My co-workers on the operations level were some of the best in the world; management, unfortunately, has become, unfortunately, a black hole of political hacks. If people want a mindless yet well paying job and are willing to follow rules blindly - whether appropriate or not - then this is the job for them. I do warn however that unless a candidate has a political connection (think management person) it will be a very difficult job to get. – less
Great Job
Maintenance of Equipment Electrician (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 14, 2012
Pros: benefits, great employees
Cons: low pay, limmited room for growth, bump system
Working at Metro North provided me with a great opportunity to work for the railroad. However, there was limited room for growth especially for individuals with a college education.