Metrolina Greenhouses Employee Reviews

not a good place to be
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 8, 2016
horrible. work like a dog for little pay. people that you work with are not that bad and for some days they are the only way to get through the day. most people dont understand english
Great Family Owned Company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  VAAugust 18, 2016
Great place to work, easy job! Loved what I did and learned a lot about plants and merchandising with my time there. Everyone I worked for was amazing.
very productive and steady.
laborer (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCApril 13, 2016
i really liked working this job.its steady and good people to work for.i have no regrets.they are very organized.i would work for them again.
Pros
breaks in morning and afternoon, 30 minutes for lunch
Enjoyed working with the field workers
Assistant Supervisor and am presently (Former Employee) –  York, SCNovember 24, 2015
As Supervisor, I attended morning 6am meeting every day and lined up my jobs to be completed for the day. 7am delegated work to be done and continually trained new workers on my team. The hardest part was not the physical work but when my Supervisors would take the well trained members of my team, and I had to keep training new field workers. (I guess that was a compliment in a round about way). The best part of my day was teaching a young person what hard work and working as a team can do for your self esteem. The most enjoyable part of my job was everything.

Unfortunately I was recently laid off. I need full time, year round work.
Pros
Loved working with my colleagues. Good Benefits
Cons
long hours, thats about it
It is a place too work if you don't have a life.
Tractor driver/whatever they tell you to do. (Former Employee) –  YORK,S.C.,29745February 25, 2015
The job has its ups and downs.They need too have a better way of doing the hiring process and advancement.You don't have too know the job too be a supervisor.As long as they like you,you can make supervisor.But if you put a person in that position they should know the job.If you make someone supervisor you should know the job.Now you have too work longer hours,because the people don't know the job.
Pros
long hours a lot of overtime.
Cons
not enough time too spend with your family
Teaching and learning
Merchandising Specialist (Former Employee) –  York, SCDecember 21, 2014
Working outside in the fresh air is always a plus! Learning about the products and passing on my knowledge to the customers. Giving them peace of mind they can use the knowledge given to them and there hard earned money was well spent.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
seasonel job
Family is great but lacking in other areas
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 6, 2014
No flexibility if you are sick or traffic delays. Must punch timecard. It doesn't matter if you have over 40 hours a week but if you are a minute late, you will be disciplined. Marketing department lacks any sort of effective management and isn't a true marketing department.. If working in the greenhouse or other departments, I would recommend if you are ok with being micromanaged.

Anyone used to a professional, unbiased, non-confrontational environment with educated, effective management style, be warned. Severely lacking management training! I would not recommend for an office position.
Pros
family is caring and generous with their employees
Cons
micromanaged, terrible management.
Long and Hard Day
Field worker (Former Employee) –  York, SCAugust 13, 2014
Typical day at work starts early in the morning and lasts up to 9:00 PM or more.

Simply learned of general labor. Just transporting, laying, and maintaining fields of potted plants for distribution.

Management alright.

Co-workers mixed feelings. While some worked hard, others didn't.

Hardest day of the job is the hours.

Enjoyable part is leaving.
Pros
n/a
Cons
half hour breaks, long hours, seasonal job.
Hard working envoirment, fast paced. Free sun tan.
Greenhouse housekeeping and planter, laborer (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCJanuary 27, 2014
some information about the plants that we were using . Seasonal, Temp to Hire.
Pros
good money.
Cons
no job security
Nice place, but to many Chiefs under one teepee.
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCAugust 9, 2013
Nice place, but to many Chiefs under one teepee. In addition, there was to much bad blood between the ethnic groups. Hardest part of the job was trying to do what five different people told you to do at one time. Most enjoyable part of the job was the salary increases.
Challenging position on a daily basis. Encouraged to report solutions rather than problems.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCJanuary 23, 2013
This job was very challenging in the fact that it was necessary to change and adapt in a very fast paced environment.
very productive atmosphere, fast pace
Shipping (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCApril 26, 2012
I enjoed working for Metrolina greenhouse! I worked in shipping which was fast paced and sometime long hours which was great for overtime! Learned alot about different kinds of plants and flowers.
Pros
healthcare good benefits
Cons
short breaks
Assistant Grower (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCApril 15, 2012
Everything this company has to offer is great, the only downfall is the layoffs
Pros
paycheck, benefits, operating hours, employees, management, lunches, bonuses, advancement
Cons
layoff

2.8