Metropolitan Community College Employee Reviews in United States

A People Place for Motivated Students Who Have Limited Opportunities
Evening Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 14, 2016
I love working at Metro. The students are from everywhere and are motivated to better themselves. Staff and faculty are also.

I work in the Dean's Office, where I help resolve student concerns and faculty needs, including classroom management, campus questions, and other various situations.
Pros
Students, staff, culture
Cons
Work flow is busy but invigorating.
Excellent Community Collge
Administrative Assistant Student Services (Former Employee) –  Elkhorn, NEJuly 9, 2016
MCC offers tremendous affordable opportunities for Education for the the Omaha Community. It truly reflects our community as you interact with students from every age, race, and background.
It's amazing that a student can commit to 2 years of education and come away with a life time of potential for a career.
Pros
Great culture to work in
Boring, but quiet and open ended
Library Page (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJune 7, 2016
Although this job could often get gratingly tiresome due to the limited number of things to do, for the most part as long as you can stay busy the job is nice if you enjoy quiet workplaces where you have a degree of freedom in how you approach your workday then its not bad.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, open ended, friendly staff
Cons
Little pay, can easily run out of things to do
Instructor, PHTLS and AMLS Instructor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 26, 2016
Could use a few new program directors, staff all gets along. scheduling can get crazy and last minute notice is often given. Other than that good school to work for. Plenty of work to do.
Super Fun!
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 18, 2016
It was Fun working with all the different people, never felt like i was going for work it was always exciting, meeting new people, helping out each other,
Pros
Fees deduction.
Cons
working Saturday.
Fabulous team and atmosphere. Looked forward to each day with them.
Gallery Security Attendant (Former Employee) –  Elkhorn, NEApril 24, 2012
My typical day at Metropolitan Community College, was filled with classes, a few hours working in the bookstore, and then a few hours in the gallery. I learned about book sales, buy-backs, returns, and rentals. I learned how to make great choices to fit my budget as a student; skills that I could easily share with other students that frequented our store. I also learned a lot about different forms of art and how to install and take down without damaging it. I also learned to be a judge in auctions, and I volunteered at several a year. I also had the chance to help install grande works of art such as the building of a Cave-Bar/Entertainment room. The management in both jobs was super to work with. They were very hands on, helpful, and willing to give everyone a chance. The hardest part of the job was leaving. They were great to work for, but did not offer any benefits or long-term advancement opportunities.
Pros
great staff that hadn't changed, great hours, worth every penny.
Cons
no benefits, chance for advancement, and very low wages.
Very professional and freindly enviroment
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 2, 2016
MCCBTC is a good place to work only reason I am leaving is because there is not enough hours.The one thing I truly enjoyed about this job is when the student's get what you are teaching, it is very rewarding.
Enthusiastic,Willing and Free
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJanuary 4, 2016
Quick Responses,Accurate and Helpful, Very Applicable Skills, Very Informative and Helpful. Very Accurate Life Balances,Extreme Level Of help,Golden Opportunity To Work Around Nice People. Very Fabulous Working Environment.Too Good and Enthusiastic.
Excellant Experience
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City MOFebruary 6, 2015
Great place to work. Excellent management and co-workers. Most of my life experiences have been in Sales and Sales Management a typical day would involve promoting products, finding new customers and closing the sale. I enjoy working with people and closing a sale with a satisfied customer. The hardest part of any business management or sales job is cold calling.
Pros
great people great benifits
I got some good training. Good pay and benefits. Bad superviisors
Day Custodian (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 15, 2012
I was assigned to a certain part of the campus.
This was my third campus in 4 years.
I got good compliments on my work from the teachers. I recieved training in floor stripping and waz, carpet extraction, and restroom cleaning.

The management was to "old school" but it was maintenance and this is how they were taught.
I heard recently there was some "house cleaning"
going on, so maybe someone got wise.

Toward the end it was obvious due to the recession budgets were being cut. The called me in and offered to let me resign with all my vacation and serverance(about $4000.) I took it.
Pros
great pay, benefits
Cons
abusive management
Good place to work, but only if you're able to tolerate the internal politics.
Admin Asst. (Current Employee) –  Administrative CenterApril 2, 2012
Good place to work, but only if you're able to tolerate the internal politics.

The benefits are very good, but the pay is way below industry standard. There is employee longevity, but mostly because the benefits are what keeps people around, if that says anything.

The hiring process in VERY slow, sometimes up to 5+ weeks to get an employee hired (from the interview date).

Company tends to only protect and defend upper managers, but not other staff members at lower levels.
Pros
good benefits, paid tuition, paid leave
Cons
pay is below industry standard, company politics.
English Litreacy Volunteer
Teach English (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 18, 2012
A typical day at work (Usually Saturday) involved helping international students learn the English language and prepare them for a competitive job.

I learnt how at times we have to come down a knowledge level from what we know to make the others understand how things are done and use visual aids to help them learn better. Management was very supportive and motivated me to work more. The most enjoyable part was seeing how these students view the world, and the smiles on their faces once they graduate to the next class.
Pros
free lunches, free access to necessary office supplies, and excellent reading material.
Lab assistant
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 15, 2015
Well, I work with the lab technician. From the beginning he made me do basically everything on my own so I could learn. The best part of my job is the data entry part, where I have to input all the data that was collected. The hardest part of my job is putting the bio-hazard bag in the autoclave for sterilization. I have learned to do everything on my own, and that sometimes its good to try new things.
Nice place to work.
Secretary to the Dir of Tech Enhanced Learning (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 18, 2014
No chance for advancement in the department. Within the College there is advancement
Pros
great benefits!!
Cons
pay is low
Working in the greenhouse and with teachers and students
Greenhouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 19, 2013
A typical day was filled with taking care of the greenhouse and garden beds where the horticulture department was located. I also instructed and managed the work study students in the daily duties needed to be done. The teachers also required me to help with classes and with projects needing done for their students. The hardest part of this job was learning to work with a diverse group of people, from older people to young people just out of high school. I enjoyed most about this job was that their was always something new to take care of. This helped keep the job fresh and interesting.
Good place to advance
Industrial Engineer technology (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 3, 2015
Good place to advance through life obstacles with ease and confidence by way of college training. Excellent benefits when a degree is obtained.
very good
Laborer (Former Employee) –  KC, MOAugust 5, 2015
great people to work with, work was hands on and enjoyable and leaders were insightful

received the job through a friends relative and was happy to get it for the time that I had it
Pros
amazing place to work
Cons
seasonal work
fast paced and moving
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  omaha NebraskaDecember 17, 2013
jack of all trades master of some. Ive learned alot about differnt softwares. managment is not the best they run there campus like thereoun ship not a college.I like my co workers alot, hardest part of the job is to get classrooms set up right before the class starts because managment didnt get the instrutions right and right times. the most fun is the job and the Anaylst they know and work as a team
Pros
benifits pay
Cons
no breaks, no chance of moving up the ladder
Friendly and supportive
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  KSJanuary 9, 2015
Metropolitan Community College – Penn Valley Campus, Kansas City , MO
- Refined skills in Access and Excel
- Refined customer service skill in handling the variety of student backgrounds.

Friendly, supportive.
Management is great!
Pros
stable
Cons
boring
Computer Relations
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOApril 25, 2013
• Provided student assistance with computer related task
• Maintained a safe and clean environment
• Enforced policies and procedures outlined in the computer lab’s operation manual
• Recruited and scheduled students in compliance to the computer lab’s hours of operation
• Facilitated new employee orientation
• Oversaw computer operations and troubleshooting IT related issues
Pros
flexability
Cons
compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5