Metropolitan Council Employee Reviews

Not the best fit for me, desire more personal interaction.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 5, 2017
Wake up very early. Drive to work. Mingle with fellow employees, not all (clickish) garage atmosphere. Pre-trip bus, go to first pick ups. Pick up and greet passengers, for me passenger interactions minimal; because of need to concentrate on driving. Spend to much time thinking my own thoughts, only visual distractions, need to focus on safe driving. My biggest negatives of job. Some drivers really enjoy the job a lot, me, it is boring. I may be considered more introverted than many. Many people really love the job. It is great to know some of the drivers there, many are good-natured fun people. Normally positive atmosphere.
Pros
drivers feel appreciated, some good friends, good healthcare, nice breaks at home between shifts
Cons
early rising, clickish garage atmosphere, some unfriendly routes and fellow drivers (for me), for me boring work, no interactions during driving and no radio to listen to
temp project job
Technology Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 9, 2017
90 day temporary job replacing computers at various office building locations. I went above and beyond the needed services even rebuilding their platforming software.
Great Place to Work
INTERN/LABOR RELATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 4, 2017
Working for the Metropolitan Council is a very fulfilling and rewarding organization to work for. Most people starting out his or her career often find themselves finishing his or her career with the organization. This is a state government organization offering excellent pay and benefits.
Pros
compensation, health, dental, vision benefits
Cons
ability to advance to other departments
First Government Job
Business Analyst III - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 21, 2017
Ive not worked in the public sector before and the Council has been a good experience. There is forward though, willingness to change, and a cautious culture towards new ideas for improving existing process.

The hard part is advancement. People are accepting jobs they are overqualified for which makes internal advancement hard.
Positive Work / Life Balance, Benefits Eligible (except for interns)
eLearning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 3, 2017
I have worked for the Council for over 2 years as temporary employment without benefits, but was compensated fairly.

The Council is a great place to work with many people who care about the work they do and have a passion for the mission of the organization.

I believe the Council has job opportunities for advancement, but the hardest part is the excellent benefits and pay for salaried employment makes most of the opportunities highly sought after.

Management consistently supportive of work/life balance. At the Robert Street facilities there is an on-site clinic.
Pros
Benefits, Work / life Balance, Fair Pay
Cons
Competitive outcome on employee advancement
union workplace...
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMarch 29, 2017
Fine place to work if you do like doing minimal effort. Union environment will discourage any hard work that separates you from the herd. Make it 5 years and you will be brain dead like all the other lifers. easy money.. Most common phrase heard. " Not my job"
Pros
pay. work load
Cons
management indifference and we have allways done it that way culture.
terrible
LRT Helper (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 27, 2017
This place was the worst choice of my life. It was a little bit of me and a bit of the company. i am good at adapting to change but with little to no training with the change. I makes it hard to do your job at an 100%. As they expect you to.
Treats employees well
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 3, 2017
Its a good job the other people that work there are nice. It gets better the longer you work there. The other employees like to work a lot of hours. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers and the schedule.
Pros
the pay
So-so
Training Specialist/Applicant Liaison (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 26, 2016
Employee engagement and involvement are comparatively low. Manager skills vary all over the map. Some are better, but some are much worse than others. Take your chance.
Benefits
Cons
Management and culture
Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 5, 2016
Love working here, hired as temporary, would love to stay, but they are not placing any permanent position in the area I am working and the work has run out.
Kinda 'meh' place to work, but there are a lot worse places out there
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMay 18, 2016
Not the worst place to work, but the support systems such as HR and Finance can often cause more headaches than solutions. Many people have been here for decades which limits the amount of industry best practices that are in place. Change comes slowly, and with a limited budget.

Work life balance is good, with an amazing amount of paid time off.

The multiple divisions within the Council cause confusion and conflict, that often result in Metro Transit winning over everyone else. If you're not a part of Transit, don't expect a lot of attention from Regional Administration.
Pros
Great paid time off
Cons
Low pay and limited budgets
Metro. Council Summary
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2015
Handling HR responsibilities, entering employee transactions into People Soft, Scanning employee files, entering background checks, ordering drug screens and physicals for candidates.

I thoroughly enjoyed my job in all aspects.
Work was very technical and needed alot of analysis.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 21, 2015
This was the most challenging position I had ever held, because of the work. Did train and bus operators pay analysis and not one was the same. Had to comply to Union rules and regulations as well as State and Local laws. Had drivers working part-time, weekend and holiday, some work 6 hours a day, 8 hours a day and 9 as well as 10 hours. Each fit different rules and regs. Needed every bit of financial knowledge I had ever learned. Worked long hours to complete duties felt excitement as each payroll was ready to load for the final run. Loved this job.
Pros
Worked with alot of different people each week.
Cons
We were given raises because we belonged to the Union, not for the work we performed, Some of us worked hard, others did as little as possible.
Productive close knit group, fast paced and interesting
Customer service, routing and directing customers (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 16, 2015
I enjoy my job and co-workers. Fast paced and interesting. Can be stressful at times and a high degree of patience and diplomacy is needed. Benefits are great. Great place to work.
Great if you want to stay in the same job forever
Principal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 2, 2015
Good job security and benefits (union environment). Not a great place if you want to move around or up. They do not follow a "promote from within" policy. They prefer to hire from the outside on most new job postings making it very difficult to change jobs within the organization.
Pros
Job Security, pay, benefits
Cons
Lack of mobility, management, union propaganda
Awesome place to work!
Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 2, 2015
Depending on your labor union benefits are effective the first day you start your job. I work with a lot of hiring managers from different departments and most are great to work with. Everyone I've worked with is very competent and easy to work with. The pay is great for most positions but there are areas such as Engineering and IS where the pay is lower than in the private sector. One of the benefits is that you can ride the bus or rail for free; this works great for a lot of employees.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, People
Cons
Very competitve hiring approach. True EOE. If you don't get in the first time try again!
terrible I.T. management
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, Mn.June 4, 2015
The staff are great.
You have exposure to many systems.
The workload is high.
Management is disconnected with the staff. Poor communication.
Benefits
ok place to work
Bus Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNApril 8, 2015
24/7 operation may have to work all holidays. Pension is good. Health Insurance is good but expensive. Management in not well trained or professional.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
working nights and holidays
Construction Inspector
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 19, 2015
Job duties varied from inspecting construction activities to working within databases to ensure a quality safe product was being delivered to the public. I also worked on certified payroll reviews and high level federally mandated safety certification reviews.
Pros
Very good hourly rate
Cons
Had disagreements with how plans and specifications were interpreted
Very Nice Place to Work
Budget & Grant Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNFebruary 20, 2015
AP, AR, Invoice related work
Reconciliation
Using Excel, Word, TxBase and E-builder
Work place is very nice
Managers are very nice and kind