Metropolitan Market Employee Reviews

Stressful, busy, poor management, high turnover, no accountability
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 18, 2017
Very face paced business that caters to very snobby and needy customers. Customers can be very rude and dismissive. Very high turn over rate so new faces constantly. Business practices a throw away concept of employees. Management at my location was awful. No accountability on managements part. Management creates a atmosphere of back stabbing,misdirection, and no accountability. I felt like I was working in an episode of Game of Thrones. Company provides great benefits in the form of medical, dental, some PTO, and discounts. Company can also make you feel like a herded cattle that has been brought in to work and that you cannot be fully trusted as an employee. Clock in machine was changed three separate times at my location in 6 months. It was finally upgraded to a hand print reading machine at the end because that is how little they trust employees and the time clock. Corporate is very aloof and only comes into the stores to stand around in grey slacks and tucked in oxford shirts. You get the feeling that they don't actually care about the employees.
Pros
Good benefits and discount
Cons
Poor management, aloof corporate office, busy, rude and needy customers, high turn over rate, hectic
productive and friendly
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington StateMay 21, 2017
Overall daily work is alright. The company is really taking care their employee. However, the management level of this company is quite frustrating. They need to work on some of their workers (lazy, do not care about company, etc.) They need to train their workers properly if they want their company to step up in the market. There are a lot of competitors who are in similar business. If the company wants to be known, they need to work on something small first: employee.
Pros
Friendly environment between coworker
Cons
Not strict management.
Challenging and rewarding experience
Market Deli & Specialty Cheese Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 27, 2017
Expected a lot and gave a lot. Very positive. Sold high quality grocery and prepared food products. Very supportive of team members. Best team of management associates I have ever worked with in my job history.
Next please...
Assistant Deli- Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 10, 2017
Started before the lunch rush and never looked back. Loads of fresh salads, soups and meats as well as a great hot case with prime rib and lots of comfort food. We were well structured to keep up with the high standards to this fun fill store. As crowds would grow, so did we to give everyone that spa pamper feeling to each and everyone there. Sometimes it did'nt slow down and catching up was hard to do, but we always managed to pull off a great performance. This is a plave where everyone knows your name, if not your order! Just a good feel place.
Pros
Feel good place with a smile on your face:)
Cons
Long lunch periods for me
great music on the pa/friendly enviorment/large diversity of people
Seafood Counter Sales (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 22, 2016
excellent independant high end grocery store to work in. we work as a team and count on each other to offer the best customer sevice possible
Pros
employee discounts/excellent choice of music during work
Cons
to long of a commute
Great atmosphere
Assistant Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAMarch 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job is my co-workers and customers. Everyday is new and exciting. I really enjoy ordering in products and keeping the bakery running smoothly.
Warm and inviting work place with excellent benefits.
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day at work involved handling shipments of inventory as well as preparing/cooking a variety of different foods. As my first foray into genuine food service, I learned a lot about how our food is prepared and where it comes from. All of my coworkers were fun and amicable individuals with a helpful and friendly demeanor. Management was very chaotic. A high employee and manager turnover rate meant inconsistencies in direction as well contradiction in interpretation of policy.
Pros
Excellent pay, great benefits, great coworkers, warm atmosphere.
Cons
Inconsistency in management, high turnover.
great place to work
Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 6, 2015
highly recommended,Great customers. High quality products.Fun place to work.You can learn alot of new things. beautiful Markets
Pros
great company
Cons
have to travel
A good place to work and very friendly.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 22, 2015
I enjoy working Metropolitan Market. I find working there very enjoyable and rewarding. Although I would like to be challenged more.
Pros
Very close to where I live, good people and in a good location.
Cons
To expensive.
Great if you're experienced in grocery
Cashier Clerk (Former Employee) –  SeattleOctober 28, 2014
I worked at the Queen Anne store for 3 weeks and went back to work retail at a drug store that I left to work at Metropolitan Market. Management was very uppity and the majority of seasoned grocery employees were very unfriendly and didn't help at all. Very few were helpful. Those nice ones I still talk to them when I see them.
Pros
Cons
Stuffy managment

Want to know more about Metropolitan Market?

Ask a question
Fun and educational
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WashingtonMarch 19, 2014
A fun environment, with a lot of fun people.

I have learned a lot in the 10 years. How to interview/hire, coaching/counceling. Run a business.

The people, are amazing. A great team to work with.

overall, the job was great! I was educated, not only on food, but, business as well.
Upscale Grocery
Market Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 26, 2013
Good place to work nights, great inventory and fun co-workers.
Great food!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 2, 2013
Busy upscale market.
IT's been a long time since I have worked there, and things change quickly in a grocery store,.
fun/tough workplace
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 23, 2013
Pretty much we have to help customers obviously. There are some management issues going on at every location but there are couple locations that you have to make the store director happy in order not to get in trouble for little stuff like late or punch in early for a minute. Some store directors would not listen to their employees and some managers act like a child. However, there are some good managers store managers in the company and I would work for them without any hesitation. Co-workers are really nice and they are willing to help the new employees. The hardest part of the job is to deal with some store directors with ridiculous demands. The most enjoyable part of the job is to make customers happy and get to know the regulars.
Pros
secured job, flexible schedule
Cons
management, training
Cheerful happy place to work
Asst. bakery manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma waMay 31, 2012
Fast paced work , open and set up bakery ,I learned how to really manage diffrent personalitys ,the hardest part of working at the met was trying to unload supplys and help customers in such a fast stressful store. The most enjoyable part is the great cuctomer you have ,you really get to know your regulars....
Iam a true foodie , upsale store with all kinds of goodies.
Pros
hours of work
Cons
holidays ...its very crazy at the met .....