Metropolitan Museum of Art Employee Reviews in United States

A Wonderful and uplifting place to work.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  1000 Fifth Ave, New York City, NYJune 25, 2016
As a volunteer I work in the Concerts & Lectures area of the museum. This is an area which I didn't know that much about and it has created such an inner passion for me one that everyone in the department sees. I also have been asked to help with high profile openings at the museum due to my love of people, my dress and passion for the museum itself.
Pros
Working at the greatest museum in the World.
Cons
Pleasant place to work, little room for growth
Designer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 7, 2016
Wonderful place to work. Passionate people. Great benefits. Poor management. Career advancement a slow and painful process
Pros
benefits, museum atmosphere, passionate colleagues
Cons
Scheduling, overspending, little job growth
Great working environment
Buyer, Jewelry/Textiles/Sculpture (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
A great place to work -- and you're surrounded by beautiful works of art. Co-workers are lovely, upper management has a higher turnover rate. Not a lot of room for advancement.
A place I learned so many things from
Senior Store Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 7, 2015
Spending nearly five months working for the Metropolitan Museum of Art has given me countless benefits and learning experiences. As a senior store salesperson, my main priority is to make sure that customers are satisfied after their visit with us. Alongside this are receiving shipment every two days of the week, displaying products according to respected section/theme of the store, maintaining cleanliness on the sales floor, and learning how to better the business in ways where it can also benefit myself.
Pros
Comfortable working environment, respectful coworkers, motivated coworkers in terms of selling, up selling, training for customer service
Educational Artist and their Artwork
Closed sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2015
Working for the Metropolitan Museum of Art was such a great experience. I have learned so much about different artist and their artwork. Not only were all staff members pleasant to work with, but the management team were amazing and very accommodating with our needs.
A typical day at the shop consisted on greeting all customers, reaching our daily goals in sales, and maintaining shop by restocking all merchandise as needed.
The most enjoyable part with working for the museum was meeting customers who traveled from all over the world and purchased many of the beautiful art pieces that the Museum had to offer. It was a pleasure to have worked for this organization.
Upbeat
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2016
Such a beautiful place to work. Kind staff, great management, exotic clientele. The hardest part about working here was how big it was.
Most beautiful place to work
Bookstore Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2015
Worked in the bookshop so the typical day at work was keeping the bookshop in order and helping the customers with their needs. Management was great and co-workers were exciting and friendly. The hardest part of the job was traveling to it; the most enjoyable was the location.
Pros
Location; with view of the river
its not the museum its the people thats running it
Senior Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 5th aveAugust 20, 2015
during the hours on the floor you intend to meet visitors from all over the world being very informable in giving direction on location in the museum. What I learn that people that are nice from denferent parts of the world as well as my co-workers always a happy felling preparing yourself for that day you never know whats going to happen. the only hard part of the job is to be accuse of something you didn't do
Pros
when we have or chirstmas party
Cons
ITS always good to take aload off your feet
Normal 9-5
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2015
There is nothing to say about my time here. I do not have alot to say. The fact that I to reach a minimum word count is rediculous.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
No real opportunity for advancement
Planning and Budget
Associate Manager for Planning and Budget (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2015
Accomplished financial professional with a broad range of experience in multiple industries including non-profit, consumer products, health care and consulting. Experienced in financial modeling and bridging analytics for strategy with teams and senior management.
For me it was wonderful to be around the artwork.
Senior Supervisor of Security (Former Employee) –  New York CityMarch 18, 2015
After a signing the guards to their post, its just enough to keep you busy with anything that should happen with the visitors. The collection is always interesting and wonderful to see and learn from. Most guards know what to do and handle themselves during the most crowded of days. The hardest is at the closing of an exhibition. Sometimes visitors ignore you when its closing time.
Pros
see the lastest exhibits before any of the public .
Cons
breaks are too short, no inhouse healthcare. complaints go unanswered.
great atmoshere
Assistant Maintainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2015
good job but tough to advance or change hours. Great atmosphere and friendly staff. Lots of employees with seniority so very hard to move ahead,
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hard to advance
Good Job
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2015
It was a good job to work in, as long as you pass the probationary period. The management team is very friendly and approachable. But as with all of the managers and supervisors, some of them are two faced. Just be careful who you trust.
Just be grateful you work here
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2015
The overall impression is that of snobbery the management is very stilted and there is a hierarchy the curators and management vs the lowly sales and maintenance staff.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Low pay and bad treatment
A Good and productive work place
Security officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2014
In the museum, my duties involved, protecting museum artwork, reporting suspicious activity and providing museum visitors information and directions. Through this environment I've developed a strong sense of customer service and knowledge and history of the artwork.
Pros
health care and free entry to many museums in new york
Inspiring and fun workplace with beautiful works of art from around the world.
Assistant Maintainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2014
On any typical day I can meet visitors from all around the country and world. I am surrounded by important and inspiring works of art from all around the world and time periods. Management is very open to suggestions for improvement and my supervisors keep things well organized.
Pros
friendly staff, works of art from around the world, great benefits, free parking
Productive environment with a lot of art and culture
Audio Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2013
It was a great learning experience for me being a freelance technician there for the better part of ten years. It was a fairly family oriented yet professional atmosphere where I was able to work with a variety of people in various fields from entertainment to education. There was a clear line between management and employees but some were easy to relate to at times. The hardest part of any job is never the tasks but people not being clear delegating those tasks. I appreciated the art environment the most being that I am a creative person myself.
Busy, and fun at times!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2012
Every work day, after we clock in, we go to a coordinator to seek our assignment for the day. We are placed in different gift shops from time to time and we work with others some days, and individually other days. Communicating is a major aspect of this job, and I enjoy it. I guide guests with directions, and inform them of our current exhibitions as well as the souvenirs we sell in the gift shops. My co-workers come from different backgrounds, hence I am always learning something new from them or teaching them something new about myself. There are no difficult parts about this job since I enjoy what I do.
Pros
great discounts.
Cons
no health benefits, part time status only.
Wonderful artwork, opportunity to work closely with the public, inspirational paintings & sculptures
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2013
My day starts at 9:00 when I've put on my uniform, received my section from dispatch, and went to get my post from whoever is my supervisor for that day.

I spend most of my day answering questions from the public from where to eat, location of specific artworks, bathrooms, and giving directions.

Hardest parts of my job are the being on my feet all day because I stand for eight hours on hard floors.

Most enjoyable part is having the opportunity to be up close and personal with the various types of art in the museum. I also get to see the special shows and exhibits when they're first on display.
Pros
art, fun co-workers, learning experience, exciting social events
Cons
short breaks, low pay, long hours, painful feet
A/C Mechanic
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2012
• Performed all troubleshooting and maintenance of Air conditioning system
• Conducted maintenance and upkeep of compressors
• Reviewed and updated cooling system parts and materials
• Prepared usage and issue reports for the department manager
• Documented and prepared reports of all maintenance and upgrades
Pros
the people that i worked with made the job better.
Cons
their are no cons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Museum of Art. Our community is ready to answer.

Metropolitan Museum of Art Reviews by Location