Metropolitan Museum of Art Employee Reviews

Great place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2017
Loved working for the Met. I really loved working for the Met, it was a great place to be and if I could I would totally go back to working for the Met.
Pros
Great Peers
Cons
One jerk named Gardell
Amazing place to work
Education Department - Student Teacher Programs (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2017
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is by far one of the most magical art institutions in the world, and certainly in North America. It is a dream job to have.
Great Place to Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2017
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a great place for a hands on, immersive internship. We were able to have access to things that full time employees did not and this behind the scenes factor was such a positive experience.
innovative place to work.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2017
always a crowd on a rainy day. the culture in this place is very diverse great for networking and meeting other creative minds. innovative place to work.
Great place to do an internship at or just work in general
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2017
This museum is fun to work at. The staff is encouraging and great. You're by beautiful art work so that's a plus as well. It was a great time for me and I got to learn different jobs with no experience
Pros
Free lunch, Fun and friendly environment
Cons
Employee discount is only 12% :(
Sinking Ship
MARKETING/EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
Great institution until you have to work for it. Management is all over the place and morale is very low. There are no processes in place. This feels like a sinking ship.
poor company
Porter/Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Middle Village, NYApril 18, 2017
no stable benefits, no offer to become full time. No health care coverage for family. Bad managment. They dont care about your personal life or health.
Volunteer Graphics Artist
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2017
I enjoyed my volunteer experience at the Metropolitan Museum of Art dealing with photo retouching and color correction of their Studio Workshop photo collection. Using my solid graphics skills and experience in image scanning, editing and color correction, I made a database of their photo archival collection for use in the Education Department. Skilled in both computer graphics and traditional fine arts
Pros
Excellent experience and work environment
Interesting place to work
Visitor Services Facilitator (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10028April 4, 2017
The Met was a fun place to work at. You had the chance to look at some great art, do some research and meet some really great people. However, the only drawback was that the place was too big.
Good workplace, but long hours and sometimes stressful
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2017
I worked here in two different departments, Retail and Security. It really is one of the greatest museums in the world, and it's great to be around art of this caliber everyday. However, this job can be incredibly tiring (especially in the security department). When you factor in a commute that was (for me) and hour and a half a day, you're looking at almost 50 hours a week spent at work or in transit. The benefits at this job are great and include union membership, but the pay is merely ok.
Pros
Union Membership, Healthcare, Culture
Cons
Long hours, Standing, Hostile Visitors
Alot of fun. What a place to work.
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
The museum and working for it was a very good experience. There is alot of knowledge to be studied and viewed. With a background in art I was amazed by the priceless artwork. It was like going to college again.
Pros
A very good study.
Cons
Low paying
The Met is a springboard to other opportunities.
Assistant Maintainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2017
I have work here for quite some time and there are benefits that the museum offers that you must make use of to from reimbursement for art associated classes to the union paying for some subjects taken in the field you work in. The Metropolitan Museum is a huge corporate entity and as such deals with issues that corporate companies have from time to time. I've learned that your focus and where you want to be in your work life is based on the decisions you make in striving to achieve those goals.
Educational and Fun Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2017
Working at an art museum, let alone one of the best in the world, was a fascinating experience. Although my job was administrative assistance work, I was able to learn about many different aspects of how the museum functioned and met many interesting people. Since I worked in various departments I was able to contribute in expediting some matters. Unfortunately, eventually I was not able to live on the salary they paid.
Pros
Learned about how museums function and art
Cons
Since I was a temporary employee, my benefits changed year to year
Humbling Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2016
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is an absolutely beautiful enviroment to work in. Being surrounded by art on a daily basis is nothing short of inspiring. The team of managers are polished and work very well with staff in regards to scheduling. I have learned a lot working for such a high profile institution!
Pros
Employee cafeteria
Cons
No benefits for part time
Steady job with decent benefits
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2016
Not the most ideal job, because you have to stand the whole day. Security Officers are looked down on by other staff members/visitors, but you have to be confident and proud of the job that you are doing.The pay is not much, but the benefits are decent. Even though this is a unionized position, they are quite ineffective and unnecessary in my opinion.
Pros
Steady job
Cons
Stand all day
A great environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10028October 7, 2016
As a research assistant tasked with cataloguing the museum's collection, I was given more freedom than most employees. I found everyone to be fully dedicated and enthusiastic about their jobs. There was a minor disconnect between the staff and the administration that could be difficult. I had to take a medical leave, and the museum and HR were extremely supportive. The benefits are wonderful. It is a great place, filled with the best people, and the best part is that you get to go to the Met everyday.
Pros
staff cafeteria, benefits, location
Cons
comparatively low salaries, distance between staff and administration
Met summary
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2016
I work for a third party vendor at the MET. No growth. We have to stand all day. The Art is nice. Management is alright. It's not a fun job and it takes a lot of my Energy.
Pros
Art
Cons
Standing, Poor Pay, Customer Service
Very good
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2016
It was a fun experience and I learned a lot as a intern working there. I met new people and learned about the museum. With being an intern at the Met, i was able to go to other museums for free.
Pros
Free lunches, museum benefits
Cons
Pleasant place to work, little room for growth
Designer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 7, 2016
Wonderful place to work. Passionate people. Great benefits. Poor management. Career advancement a slow and painful process
Pros
benefits, museum atmosphere, passionate colleagues
Cons
Scheduling, overspending, little job growth
Great working environment
Buyer, Jewelry/Textiles/Sculpture (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2016
A great place to work -- and you're surrounded by beautiful works of art. Co-workers are lovely, upper management has a higher turnover rate. Not a lot of room for advancement.