Metropolitan Museum of Art

Metropolitan Museum of Art Employee Reviews

Planning and Budget
Associate Manager for Planning and Budget (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 19, 2015
Accomplished financial professional with a broad range of experience in multiple industries including non-profit, consumer products, health care and consulting. Experienced in financial modeling and bridging analytics for strategy with teams and senior management.
A great job if your looking for financial security
Security Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 2, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, not mentally demanding
Cons: Standing, not mentally demanding
My day at the museum begins with me swiping into the museum promptly before 9:00am. I am given my assigned post for the day by dispatch. At each area in the museum there is a Chief Security Officer who gives each guard their posts for the day. What I've learned from my job is the importance of communication. The museum is a large institution and each department tries very hard to disseminate information to one another in a quick manner. I've also learn the value of management. The demeanor of higher level professionals definitely impacts and influences how security officers view themselves and their roles.

Most of my coworkers went to school for Art. They are exceptionally talented and utilize the museum as a muse for their individual crafts.

The hardest part about working at my job is standing. It is a physically demanding job on the lower limbs.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see beautiful works of art all day. I am able to time travel through the museum and learn another world every day.
Good Job
Stock Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2015
It was a good job to work in, as long as you pass the probationary period. The management team is very friendly and approachable. But as with all of the managers and supervisors, some of them are two faced. Just be careful who you trust.
Just be grateful you work here
Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 7, 2015
Pros: Good location
Cons: Low pay and bad treatment
The overall impression is that of snobbery the management is very stilted and there is a hierarchy the curators and management vs the lowly sales and maintenance staff.
For me it was wonderful to be around the artwork.
Senior Supervisor of Security (Former Employee), New York CityMarch 18, 2015
Pros: see the lastest exhibits before any of the public .
Cons: breaks are too short, no inhouse healthcare. complaints go unanswered.
After a signing the guards to their post, its just enough to keep you busy with anything that should happen with the visitors. The collection is always interesting and wonderful to see and learn from. Most guards know what to do and handle themselves during the most crowded of days. The hardest is at the closing of an exhibition. Sometimes visitors ignore you when its closing time.
One of my greatest work experiences
Administrative Assistant, Temporary, AAOA (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 5, 2015
A typical day at work is fast-paced and will draw on any number of skills or tasks. The staff is outstanding - intelligent, outgoing, and proud of working in such hallowed halls.
A Good and productive work place
Security officer (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 14, 2014
Pros: health care and free entry to many museums in new york
In the museum, my duties involved, protecting museum artwork, reporting suspicious activity and providing museum visitors information and directions. Through this environment I've developed a strong sense of customer service and knowledge and history of the artwork.
Learned, sharpened and taught office skills, with a great personnel.
Senior Associate Dispatcher (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2014
A typical workday at the dispatch office involves delegating personnel to assigned sections. Or overseeing the Museum via the Command Center. While at the same time interfacing with all other departments of the museum.
During my tenure at the Met, I was able to sharpen my office skills using various computer programs; including Excel, Word, Outlook and other software that was vital to the security department.
Management is of high caliber and has always earned its respects.
My closest co-workers were my family. A great group of people with an amazing heart and the WILL to help each other thru.
The difficult nature about working at the Met was having to let go and now start over.
The most enjoyable aspect of it all, aside from being able to participate in events and escort VIP and dignitaries; was that there was never a dull moment.
I will truly miss them.
Great place to be
Sales Associate-Temporary (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 29, 2014
Pros: they need to have more activity
Cons: not enought things for them to do
Love the elderly they were fun to be around and I learn a lot from them about life itself.
My years spent at the Metropolitan Museum of Art were valuable, and life learning. The one event that I looked forward to was the employees art show.
Gallery Attendant (Former Employee), New York, New YorkJuly 30, 2014
Pros: employee discounts, get to see all of the shows when the museum is closed.
Cons: no longer has a nurse on the premises
To work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art was wonderful. As an employee I was able to work my way up. I started working in sales and from sales went onto sales financial, to the membership department and finally onto the maintenance department, where I worked until my retirement in 2013.
For anyone that wants to be challenged, the museum is a good place to work. There are many job opportunities available for someone who truly loves the arts and wants to be part of the history of the museum and what it offers.
What I learned while working at the museum is that you have to learn to be able to work with all types of people, whether it be management or your coworkers. It was also a good place to learn about different languages and different cultures. This was valuable experience in that it helped me in my job, dealing with the different visitors that came to the museum.
The hardest part of the job, especially in being a gallery attendant was being able to make sure that all of my areas were the large areas that had to be covered and done. What I most enjoyed was being able to see all of the shows, and when I worked in sales being able to read the books that were being sold in the gift shops. It was like being in a candy store with so many varieties to choose from. Being able to read the different books helped me to impart information to the visitors that were interested in purchasing these books for themselves.
Like anything in life you have your good days and you have your bad days at work. My 27 years at the museum were good.
Cultural cachet/prestige, pleasant surroundings
Special Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2014
Obviously, not a coal mine. If you enjoy fine art, you have the opportunity to work in the midst of it. Generally pleasant coworkers.
Internship
Retail Sales & Merchandising Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 1, 2014
Learned a lot in the Accounts receivable and Accounts payable department. This internship also helped me with my organizational and Excel skills
Inspiring and fun workplace with beautiful works of art from around the world.
Assistant Maintainer (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 11, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, works of art from around the world, great benefits, free parking
On any typical day I can meet visitors from all around the country and world. I am surrounded by important and inspiring works of art from all around the world and time periods. Management is very open to suggestions for improvement and my supervisors keep things well organized.
Excellent Place to Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 6, 2014
Pros: excellent atmosphere
Cons: too many people :) though it's worth it
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a great place to work. The atmosphere is amazing and you meet great people from all over the world. Management is extremely helpful and supportive. Everyone is really nice
Intern / Temp
Intern/Assistant / Education Department (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: it the met.
Cons: end of program
Love it over Learning how the met works over all was the best job i ever had,
Fast paced environment with the opportunity to meet different people
Security Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 25, 2013
Pros: three breaks
Cons: long days and few raises
When I arrive at work I inspect all of the galleries, emergency exits and stairwells. Then I assign the security officers their assignments for the day. Once the museum opens I interact with the public and above all I watch and protect the art. Any emergencies that occur I am the first to evaluate and assess the situation to see what needs to be done.
I have learned to deal with many different people whether it be our diverse work force or the thousands of visitors that enter the museum each day. I also learned how to work with others in terms of emergency situations etc.
Our security managers are very professional and you can always ask them anything if you have a question regarding the job or if you need assistance of some kind in your personal life.
Hardest part of the job is working a lot of long days. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with so many different people from different backgrounds. I learn something new from our visitors each day.
Productive environment with a lot of art and culture
Audio Visual Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 19, 2013
It was a great learning experience for me being a freelance technician there for the better part of ten years. It was a fairly family oriented yet professional atmosphere where I was able to work with a variety of people in various fields from entertainment to education. There was a clear line between management and employees but some were easy to relate to at times. The hardest part of any job is never the tasks but people not being clear delegating those tasks. I appreciated the art environment the most being that I am a creative person myself.
An incredible museum, by far one of the best!
Volunteer, Conservation Labs (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 17, 2013
An amazing place to be! I'm always excited to walk through the door.
Wonderful artwork, opportunity to work closely with the public, inspirational paintings & sculptures
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 30, 2013
Pros: art, fun co-workers, learning experience, exciting social events
Cons: short breaks, low pay, long hours, painful feet
My day starts at 9:00 when I've put on my uniform, received my section from dispatch, and went to get my post from whoever is my supervisor for that day.

I spend most of my day answering questions from the public from where to eat, location of specific artworks, bathrooms, and giving directions.

Hardest parts of my job are the being on my feet all day because I stand for eight hours on hard floors.

Most enjoyable part is having the opportunity to be up close and personal with the various types of art in the museum. I also get to see the special shows and exhibits when they're first on display.
Amazing place to work!!
Stock Person (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 23, 2013
Pros: lots of things are amazing
Cons: little bit racism by some ......
MetMuseum is amazing place to work. I was working at rockfeller center shop as temp in last holiday season. Most of the people are helpful. Specially Asst. Manager is totally awesome.