Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, exciting place to work
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 25, 2016
This job is Bus Monitor. Here I monitor each student on the bus behavior. I make sure each child stay in there assign seat and reframe from fighting. I assist the driver with directions to new students home. I speak with the parent regarding there child's bus ride home. I make sure we have updated and working phone numbers for each student.
Teaching in an Inclusive Classroom
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNApril 8, 2016
Everyday I go to work I am reminded of the purpose and the vision that God has set before me to uplift and inspire a generation of young people to reach their God-given potential. I do that by serving the in a way that shows that how much I care, not by how much I know. I have learned that only then will you be able to draw their attention to learn. I appreciate the many seasoned teachers that have help my job become easy by their preparations and ideas. The hardest part of teaching is implementing the lesson plans with the inclusion of so many behavioral challenges that some of the children have that are in the classroom during instruction time. You really have to be creative to teach in such an environment. Over the years, I have learned how to be flexible. I enjoy watching the face of a young person after they get the lesson. What a joy to experience. :)
Pros
Every child has a chance to succeed.
Cons
There are so many that need our help, but not enough of us to go around.
Dysfunctional
Educator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 6, 2016
Lack of leadership and vision. Has set low expectations for student performance and behavior. Needs a complete overhaul at the central office level.
A great place to work with outstanding manage and staff.ment
Intervention Teacher / Coach (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 16, 2015
My typical day was great!!! And very productive.
I enjoyed my job, the students and staff.
The hardest part was leaving at the end of the day. I've enjoyed every place of employment that I have worked. And I have learned how to motivate and help others enjoy their jobs as well.
Pros
Having a structured schedule
Cons
Having to work through lunch breaks on occasions
I kept very busy while working for this employer.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 13, 2015
I had the opportunity to work for a respectful and professional coordinator. The tasks I performed kept me very busy throughout the day.
challenging job and support carrying out appropriate educational activities.
Support Substitute (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 30, 2015
o Setting up work areas, displays and exhibits, operating audiovisual, providing technical support, operating educational training equipment, and performing routine clerical duties, e.g. filing student records.
Never a dull moment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 4, 2015
I miss working with the children. Their smiles and energy was so refreshing to me. Nashville has some remarkable children.
My days are filled with providing rigorous lessons to my fourth grade students.
Fourth/Fifth/ Sixth Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Robert Churchwell Elementary SchoolDecember 8, 2014
I work in a low performing school, which causes me to find different and fun ways to ensure that each student masters all the state standards required. Each student receives a rigorous and repetitious learning experience. My teammates and I work hard to ensure that everyone is on the same page and that each student is receiving the best academic experience.
Overall enjoyable workplace
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 3, 2014
I enjoyed this job. I enjoyed being around the children and their energy. The management team and school administrators were easy to work among. Anytime there was an issue, it was easy to talk to them and get their assistance in resolving any issues that came about. Overall everyone worked as ONE team. Working with the other drivers was also fun. We treated each other like family. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Pros
gaining the relationships with all involved.
Cons
not enough money to survive as a single income because it was a ten month employment.
Upcoming district
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 23, 2014
Working in MNPS was a great experience for me. Besides it being difficult to advance, it was a pleasant work experience. The district knew where it was headed and how it would get there. For a large district, communication was effective and there wasn't chaos and lack of organization that you would find in many districts.
Pros
effective communication, risk taker, good instructional programs
Cons
lack of support for job advancements
Good Job
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 19, 2015
I already filled this information on another page. The application would not allow me to go back and copy and paste. I'm not sure what is wrong with the website at this time. I enjoyed all the jobs that I was employed with and had few if any problems with anyone that I worked with or for.
Great place for individuals who love children.
Tutor and assist children individually (Current Employee) –  Elementary SchoolNovember 18, 2014
I work with special needs students and get great enjoyment when they are successful and reaching their full potential.
Pros
your weekends are all off.
Cons
para-professionals are not paid anytime kids are not at school and the income overall is not good.
Great place to work depending on school
Licensed Professional School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 8, 2014
Working in education can be very rewarding. It is always a positive when seeing students matriculate throughout their career and graduate. There are several different opportunities for student success. Teachers are very concerned about their students success and will go above and beyond to help them succeed. There are many great teachers in the system who deserves more pay for what they do. No amount of money can repay the hard work and dedication spent preparing
Pros
can be very rewarding work
Cons
inconsistencies
Subtitue Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 7, 2014
Implement teacher lesson plans, assign student classwork and homework, maintain classroom control and discipline. Complete a daily report or evaluation to communicate any pertinent information resulting from the days events.Communicate information about a student's activities to parents, department head or with the building principal.
Pros
being a sub has exposed me to various cutlers and languages.
Cons
working everyday as a sub is not always guaranteed.
Exciting and Different Work Atmosphere
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 4, 2014
I am a sub for K-12 and everyday is different. Different school, class, etc.. Some days are easier than others but I like the fact that I can accept a job or decline it. There are certain school I absolutely love working at and some that I will not sub at again. There is also a bonus pay if you work everyday in a pay period which is nice since compensation isn't great.
Pros
different everyday, option to choose which days to work
Cons
no benefits
Stressful, unrealistic demands, high standards for Teacher
Engineering Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nashville TNNovember 10, 2012
Took this job at another Mnps high school with mostly minorities. Lasted less than 3 months. Coming from Industry hard to shift to environment where kids can run wild with little consequences. Program is well-funded but they just throw kids in to fill seats rather than filter/select students that truly want to go into STEM fields. Meanwhile Instructors have all these metrics and indicators to meet as "professionals" while dumbing down the Program to pass enough students to keep the funding going.
Pros
decent salary compared to others and medical benefits
Cons
stress, cannot discipline/kick out unruly students asap, mostly unmotivated students
I only work PT as called as assignments come open, for schools for the current school year.
Office Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Yes, MNPS PT employeeFebruary 22, 2013
Very good to work for full time I am sure. I am a PT on call type employee and do not get even enough hours with this position and don't see full time happening soon enough with the economy as it is being slow to rise.
Pros
if you have another pt job to go with this pt work, you can do both depending upon the need.
Cons
would like to be in a school office as full time worker but these jobs are few and far between.
The pay is the highest in the area school districts for a reason.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 5, 2012
Are you an educator who wants to focus on student achievement? Are you always going to do what is right and best for your students, no matter what? If so, look for employment elsewhere. This large and extremely top-heavy school system treats certificated personnel very poorly. Every decision that is made revolves around politics and/ or money. I hope to never work for such an unethical organization again.
Pros
highest salary in middle tn public school systems
Cons
culture, climate, does not value students or staff
Needs dedication and a lot of preparation
Fine Arts Teacher (Stratford S.T.E.M. Magnet HS) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 12, 2012
Due to a possible re-hire I will keep this simple. If you stay on top of all requirements of certification, or if you are currently certified to teach, then your experience will be rewarding. There are many students in need of mentors and guidance. Also, there is a shortage in math and science positions. Depending on the school placement, the range of aptitudes and needs are wide-spread. It is important to be prepared at all times and consider each learner as an individual with unique and intrinsic needs that must be considered and addressed.
Pros
great opportunity to help kids especially in the inner-city.
Cons
tough support from superiors...their superiors are demanding as well.
Contract agent
SOURCING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2014
• Establish contracts in to meet the needs of MNPS schools and departments.
• Prepare proposals and bid requests, including specifications, statements of work, evaluation criteria, contract strategies and processes.
• Evaluate bids and proposals, using required level of cost and technical analysis.
• Prepares award recommendations for approval.
• Oversee vendor responsibilities outlined in the contract and statement of work. Organizes necessary management reviews and audits with suppliers. Ensures total supplier performance through contract life and life-cycle of procured goods and services.
Serve as the liaison between the customer and MNPS to ensure an effective program management process, cost and risk management, and commitments to customers are met.
• Complies with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws, statutes, and ordinances related to ITB/RFP processing and contracts.
• Complies with all district and department policies and procedures.