Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools

Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Employee Reviews

challenging job and support carrying out appropriate educational activities.
Support Substitute (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 30, 2015
o Setting up work areas, displays and exhibits, operating audiovisual, providing technical support, operating educational training equipment, and performing routine clerical duties, e.g. filing student records.
Good Job
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 19, 2015
I already filled this information on another page. The application would not allow me to go back and copy and paste. I'm not sure what is wrong with the website at this time. I enjoyed all the jobs that I was employed with and had few if any problems with anyone that I worked with or for.
My days are filled with providing rigorous lessons to my fourth grade students.
Fourth/Fifth/ Sixth Grade Teacher (Current Employee), Robert Churchwell Elementary SchoolDecember 8, 2014
I work in a low performing school, which causes me to find different and fun ways to ensure that each student masters all the state standards required. Each student receives a rigorous and repetitious learning experience. My teammates and I work hard to ensure that everyone is on the same page and that each student is receiving the best academic experience.
Overall enjoyable workplace
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 3, 2014
Pros: gaining the relationships with all involved.
Cons: not enough money to survive as a single income because it was a ten month employment.
I enjoyed this job. I enjoyed being around the children and their energy. The management team and school administrators were easy to work among. Anytime there was an issue, it was easy to talk to them and get their assistance in resolving any issues that came about. Overall everyone worked as ONE team. Working with the other drivers was also fun. We treated each other like family. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Upcoming district
Science Teacher (Former Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 23, 2014
Pros: effective communication, risk taker, good instructional programs
Cons: lack of support for job advancements
Working in MNPS was a great experience for me. Besides it being difficult to advance, it was a pleasant work experience. The district knew where it was headed and how it would get there. For a large district, communication was effective and there wasn't chaos and lack of organization that you would find in many districts.
Great place for individuals who love children.
Tutor and assist children individually (Current Employee), Elementary SchoolNovember 18, 2014
Pros: your weekends are all off.
Cons: para-professionals are not paid anytime kids are not at school and the income overall is not good.
I work with special needs students and get great enjoyment when they are successful and reaching their full potential.
CONTRACT AGENT
SOURCING CONSULTANT (Current Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2014
• Establish contracts in to meet the needs of MNPS schools and departments.
• Prepare proposals and bid requests, including specifications, statements of work, evaluation criteria, contract strategies and processes.
• Evaluate bids and proposals, using required level of cost and technical analysis.
• Prepares award recommendations for approval.
• Oversee vendor responsibilities outlined in the contract and statement of work. Organizes necessary management reviews and audits with suppliers. Ensures total supplier performance through contract life and life-cycle of procured goods and services.
Serve as the liaison between the customer and MNPS to ensure an effective program management process, cost and risk management, and commitments to customers are met.
• Complies with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws, statutes, and ordinances related to ITB/RFP processing and contracts.
• Complies with all district and department policies and procedures.
Hit or miss
teacher (Former Employee), variedAugust 11, 2014
Pros: salary/benefits good, good continuing education
Cons: individual schools can be worse than you ever imagined; largely data-driven culture
Some schools are excellent, some are your worst nightmare!
It depends largely on where they are,not the fancy titles they might give them. It may be unfair, but schools with a mix of middle class/affluent parents have many more resources and good discipline. Poorer urban schools can be an absolute free-for-all- even with good leadership and GREAT teachers, who are usually desperate to get out. I've seen the very best teachers unable to teach because students with severely disruptive behavior get away with anything. Sadly, teachers get the blame for scores even in those awful schools.Parent accountability/participation is non-existent.

The suspension rate won't tell you anything, because they hide the numbers, or cap it at a certain point. Best to do an impromptu visit to see if it is chaotic or running smoothly.

If you think of it as a "mission trip," you might survive, but you will give your whole life to it. If you think you'll be able to stay for a career, think again, or find one of the good ones and never leave if you can help it.
n/a
ISS Teacher (Former Employee), Brick Church MiddleJuly 14, 2014
i love working for metro with student and teachers and parents , coaching soccer was very rewarding
Great place to work depending on school
Licensed Professional School Counselor (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 8, 2014
Pros: can be very rewarding work
Cons: inconsistencies
Working in education can be very rewarding. It is always a positive when seeing students matriculate throughout their career and graduate. There are several different opportunities for student success. Teachers are very concerned about their students success and will go above and beyond to help them succeed. There are many great teachers in the system who deserves more pay for what they do. No amount of money can repay the hard work and dedication spent preparing
Subtitue Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 7, 2014
Pros: being a sub has exposed me to various cutlers and languages.
Cons: working everyday as a sub is not always guaranteed.
Implement teacher lesson plans, assign student classwork and homework, maintain classroom control and discipline. Complete a daily report or evaluation to communicate any pertinent information resulting from the days events.Communicate information about a student's activities to parents, department head or with the building principal.
Stressful
Classroom Teacher - Reading and Language Arts (Current Employee), Nashville, TNApril 15, 2014
Most schools under pressure to become "passing" schools, principals moved around a lot
Exciting and Different Work Atmosphere
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 4, 2014
Pros: different everyday, option to choose which days to work
Cons: no benefits
I am a sub for K-12 and everyday is different. Different school, class, etc.. Some days are easier than others but I like the fact that I can accept a job or decline it. There are certain school I absolutely love working at and some that I will not sub at again. There is also a bonus pay if you work everyday in a pay period which is nice since compensation isn't great.
Improving School System
Teacher (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 13, 2014
The sponsorships that more high schools are getting is a plus. More real life experiences for students aids in motivating them to graduate.
The best experience I have had as a teacher.
Elementary Montessori Teacher (Former Employee), Nashville, TNFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: great teachers and great students
I enjoyed my time at Hull-Jackson and was impressed by the work ethic of the teachers and principal there.
A great place to work. It's a wonderful service to our children.
Senior Secretary for Director of Middle Schools (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: wonderful people that really care about children
I worked at Metro for 27 years when I decided to retire and start a new career.
Very Productive, very rewarding
Education Assistant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: helping children
Cons: pay
I loved working for Metro Schools. The children make waking up and going to work enjoyable. Very rewarding job.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 10, 2013
The most enjoyable art of the jobs being able to provide safety and security for children as well as being a point of contact for students during their journeys in life.
Fair compensation
Teacher - Grade (Current Employee), Hermitage, TNOctober 27, 2013
Great coworkers.
Fair compensation
Excellent vacation time.
Great hours.
N/A
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 2, 2013
I do not have very many words to say about this company. If afforded the opportunity, I would probably decline the opportunity of working for them again.

About Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools

Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools is where dedicated professionals are helping more than 74,000 students prepare for the future. – Read more

Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Salaries