Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Employee Reviews

Stressful and Micro Managed
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 11, 2018
Stressful and not supported by admin. Students learn there is no punishment for negative behaviors. If students are fighting or off task it seems to be the adults fault. The teachers can not seem to do enough. Always finding fault with us. Many are looking for other jobs.
Pros
Free health clinics and a new gym
Teaching Review
Elementary Music Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2018
First of all, I believe in living from your inside out, basically making the best out of your situation. A lot of people blame circumstances for their position in career and life, I believe that I am in control of effecting my circumstances based on how I respond. That being said, take into consideration that MNPS is an inner city school district. You will face the challenges of povery mindset and poverty thinking in your classrooms. I choose to look at this as an opportunity, rather than a hinderance. I believe that the leadership of the organization as a whole has great intentions for the school district, but they need buy-in from the teachers and other stakeholders to make their vision succeed.

As far as teacher pay is concerned, teachers obviously don't make a lot of money. If you go the administration route, you could potentially earn 100k+, but other than that, there is not a lot of room for advancement. You just have to ask yourself if the higher degrees and debt accumulated in achieving those are worth the financial payoff.

The benefits are great, and in my experience, I have had a good relationships with my principals and other leadership. I do believe they have the best interest for the students and teachers in mind.

The size of your success, however, is determined by the size of your thinking. If you have small thinking, you won't thrive here. However, if you believe every child has greatness inside of them, you will do well. It's all up to you.
A replacement for an educator in the Public School System
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNDecember 26, 2017
I was a Substitute Teacher in the Metropolitan Public School system for Davidson County Schools. This position was for the grade levels of Pre-K thru high school.
Pros
Reward of teaching young minds
Cons
very low pay...
Multi-tasking enviorment
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 17, 2017
I signed students in/out of school all day. Entry for attendance for students. Answered and managed incoming calls while recording accurate messages. Directed guest and routed deliveries and courier services to the right location or person. Greeted numerous visitors, parents, and students. Helped distribute employee and student notices around the school. Screened all visitors and directed them to the correct employee or office.
Pros
Staying busy
Cons
Short breaks
Safe place for students
Teachers Aid/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 22, 2017
Working with student that are disable and have an IEP. It is a great place to work. My major is business and I want to work in my level of education. The students are great and the job is rewarding.
Pros
Time off to spend with family
Cons
lack of breaks
MNPS can't get it together!!!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 11, 2017
I was with them for 11 years and each year they underwent major changes in policy, curriculum, or assessments. Each time they changed, it was very costly, time consuming, and required new training, all of which would be useless in a few months when they did away with that last great idea for the next "new and better" ideas. I was ashamed to be an educator in this district, and my hands were tied. Blessed to be free of them!
Pros
vacation time
Cons
disorganized and stressful
friendly and helpful environment.
Benefits Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 11, 2017
The employees were friendly patient and helpful.. Work days were pretty balanced. There were days where the work load was full and the environment was fast paced and there were days were we had slow work days and some days in between. Management was very helpful and understanding but would often challenge and encourage the department. Had a family working environment. Challenging areas were the communication between government employees and the City and the amount of employee files to maintain and update. about 600 employees. The most enjoyable was helping employees with life changing events (marriage, children, death)
Productive and fun
Substitute Teacher/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 31, 2017
Can be very challenging at times, but a very good place to work, because you are giving back to children. I enjoy helping children the best way I know how. Sometimes you become a parent, a friend , a counselor and many other hats a person may have to where. But it's ok, because children are our future and we need to be there for them and give our all .
If you enjoy working with children
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 30, 2017
If you enjoy working with children, but never finish college or you do not have a degree in teaching. Being a sub is a great fit for you. The joy of picking when you want to work.
More Money for Subs
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 29, 2017
Sub need more money. When you apply for a job it's gone before posted. I have been trying to get a career with Metro for over 8 years. It is ver hard to get a job at Metro
Loved the relaxed schedule, the students were hard
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 28, 2017
I loved my job subbing, but it was definitely hard with some schools. The kids just didnt care about you and it almost seemed like the principles didnt either, even though you were helping THEM out. I would teach every day and a lot of the times it was because no one else wanted to sub the classrooms. Although i have to say that it was nice only working when i wanted to work. Overall i did like what i did.
Pros
relaxed schedule, time off
Cons
difficult students
Work is what you make it
Teacher/ Graduation Coach (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 23, 2017
If you don't put in a positive work experience then you can't expect a positive outcome. If you are on time and makes the company money then you can enjoy doing your job. But, if you cost the company more than you make them, then you can't expect to have a good experience. Sometimes people forget why the employers hired them. Not because you need a job but because they are looking to increase their profit.
Great job to start your career
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 16, 2017
They are great to work for. I have nothing to complain about. Picking school and watching the children is an easy job. I can do it anytime, without any hassle.
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2017
You work with multi-ethnic groups.
Gain great experience.
Good benefits packages.
The leadership is questionable. Need more consistency there.
Overall great place to work!
I am happy to be a part of a wonderful organization.
School Counselor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 1, 2017
Metro Nashville Public Schools gave me an opportunity 7 years ago shortly after graduation from Tennessee State University. MNPS was a career goal and I am happy to be a part of an organization that gives back to our young people, parents an community.
Fast past and exciting environment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 14, 2017
Information is updated daily and communication is done through out the district to school staff and administrators. Children are the main focus in the district which is very important.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
step position as oppose to salary positions.
Work
ELD Curriculum Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 6, 2017
MNPS is a great place to pursue and have a career in education. It gives you a unique opportunity to work with a very diverse population of people and students.
Must have a high passion for learning and even more patience
4th Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 28, 2017
My experience working in the MNPS district as been a very positive one. They give teachers a lot of professional development opportunities to perfect the craft. There are a lot of politics within the district as well as a passion for education that appears to the key component of success within the district.
Pros
Nationwide competitive pay
Cons
Overworked and overwhelmed
Great experience with flexible schedule
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 24, 2017
Subs choose where they want to work online for a given day, then receive an email with a job number for what they decided. Sub hours are supposed to be 7:45-3:15 for elementary, but most schools let students go to class starting at 7:45, so I try to check in at the school office by 7:30. After that, it's just a matter of following the teacher's daily schedule (most teachers leave detailed sub plans with materials) and managing classroom behavior.
High stress low reward
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 30, 2017
This district provides high amounts of stress with low reward and compensation. The administration requires immediate growth with very little support or materials.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools Reviews by Location