Metropolitan Police Department Employee Reviews in United States

Dangerous but rewarding career serving the community.
Canine Patrol and Narcotic Handler (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 27, 2016
I have been working for the Metropolitan Police Department for over twenty five years, the last twenty years as a canine handler. Being a K9 Handlers allow you to develop a strong bond with your partner a K9 it's a very rewarding job in that aspect. Serving the community and the friendship you developed when you learn to place your life in other people hands are things you remember the rest of your life.
Pros
Leave and Health care are good
Cons
Long hours rough on family life
Horrible people to work for!
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2016
No one should apply here! Mpd doesn't appreciate anyone nor their lives! It pays the bills, but you can't move up here and constantly picked on by many and your higher ups (supervisors) are too scared to help anyone below them!
Pros
PAYS THE BILLS
Cons
HORRIBLE TO WORK FOR
A Carrer
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2016
All I can say is that it was a job!!!! There is nothing else I care to add. You don't have to love the job, if kit is providing what you needed at the time,
Lieutenant
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 13, 2016
demanding work environment everyday something new to uncover. Great Co workers always looking out for you.
Good Experience
Recruit Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 24, 2016
If Law Enforcement is something you want as a career, this Department is a great starting point. The Academy training can be a bit stressful but as long as you want it, you can achieve it.
Busy Urban Law Enforcement Agency
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2016
Working for the MPD is a demanding environment where every day is truly different. As a civilian working with the agency, there are myriad opportunities to contribute to the diverse mission of the department. I support the investigative functions, ensure internal communications are fluid and professional, develop marketing and community outreach materials for the public, and more. It's a challenging environment where deadlines can be measured in minutes when large, breaking events occur. The agency has a diverse workforce that offers ample opportunity to interact with people from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Because crime never sleeps, the job has the potential to bleed into your life, making managing work-life balance important to maintain sanity. There are always more projects and assignments to handle, so prioritization is key. The greatest reward of the job is a sense of satisfaction when one's efforts help close a case, secure an identification of a suspect, or bring closure to a family who has experienced loss or been the victim of a crime.
Pros
fast paced, never a dull moment, satisfaction from helping solve crime
Cons
limited support for technology, investment in human capital
No Review
Law Enforcement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2016
I have no review that I would like to provide for the Washington DC Metropolitan Police Department at this time. But, since I need more words: if I were happy, I would not be on this page...
Pros
It's a government position... & union...
Cons
There is only promotion potential for people who like you.
Enhanced my skills set
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
Very good team and helped me a lot to initially cope up with the environment.

Enhanced my analytical and logical skills while developing the application.

Very friendly environment.
Very busy and lots of work
Crime Scene Search Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
This company has lots of work and it is shift work with overtime, and you will learn something daily, very fast paced job, have to be able to work with minimal supervision
Pros
steady employment
Great work environment
Detective (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 14, 2016
Great experience working for the Metropolitan Police the past twenty five years. Worked with some terrific police officers and met some incredibility great people. Great learning experience.
A satisfying career
Police Sergeant-Patrol Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2016
The interesting thing about working for the Metropolitan Police Department was there is no such thing as "a typical day" at work. The city and the department are continually changing. When I first entered the job 26+ years ago the city was like the wild, wild west. Crack cocaine was at the height of its use and things were out of control. Through hard work, sacrifice, dedication and team work my coworkers and I took back the streets of D.C. The law enforcement community made it a safe place for the citizens and business community to re-enter and vitalize the city. As these changes took place, we as an organization changed with it. The department became Community Police oriented which required us to learn new skills in dealing with the public. We mastered these skills and are now the model for large city departments. This wasn't done through management. I am going to remain professional and just say this departments management failed in supporting the backbone of the organization. It was successful because of the continual demonstration of professionalism from the line officers and supervisors. I have had the honor to work with some of the bravest and conscientious officers that have ever worn a badge. I was entrusted with a supervisor’s position 17 years ago. During that time, I learned how to successfully motivate a very diverse work group, at times under adverse conditions. Additionally, on the street I was skilled at resolving conflicts and diffusing hostility amidst adversity. I was able to accomplish this by learning two things. First, is to listen to what is being said  more... to you and around you. Second and foremost, treat each and every person with respect. Ultimately, This is what every living person wants and generally if they perceive they have obtained it, you can get there cooperation in accomplishing your goal.The most enjoyable part of the job still remains the same for me today, as it was 26+ years ago. As cliche as it may be, I came on this job to help people. As time went on I realized I couldn't help everyone but every once in a while I was in a position to make a positive difference in someone's life. When you do achieve that there is no greater feeling and it re enforces my decision as to why I pursued this career. The hardest part of the job, aside from observing human suffering, will be to leave it.  less
Pros
no two days are the same and helping people
Cons
difficult work schedules
Salary
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2016
Salary is decent, there's lots of citizen interaction. Most officer work well together. The most enjoyable part about the job is helping people in need.
Challenging, Informative
Crime Scene Investigator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2016
Respond to calls for service. Process crime scenes recover evidence and photograph scenes. Collect evidence. Process and package evidence for court. Prepare detailed reports of scenes and testify in court. Conduct investigations with citizens and Officer's.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad hours
Good foundation and then move on
Law Enforcement and Critical Intervention Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2015
Overall, this experience provided me with the foundation to pursue my goals with another company or agency. I would recommend to get what you need to build your skill set and then look elsewhere
Pros
Geography and things to do
Cons
Quality of life, dampened goal attainment, leadership.
Exciting and fulfilling work environment
Assistant Chief of Police (Former Employee) –  Metropolitan Police DepartmentOctober 15, 2015
Enjoyed a 35 year career that allowed me to interact with the citizens and visitors of the City of St. Louis, MO. Established both personal and professional contacts that both aided and enhanced my career. Civilian and commissioned employees work well together to accomplish the mission of the agency.
Pros
Necessary and worthwhile career
Metropolitan Police Department
OFFICER/PAYROLL OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2015
Enjoyable work place with great co-workers. We all work hard and are very supportive of each other within the unit that I am assigned to, it's family away from home. When I report to work its always a little busy and usually the office is crowded either with additional Officers, Detectives, Officials or witnesses. While payroll can be very stressful I get the work done with all the distractions. On days I have to report to the patrol its not bad. I enjoy talking the public. Some will talk and you have some that do not want to be bothered with the police. But I talk and after awhile they come around. So after all I enjoy my job.
Pros
Meeting People
Cons
No real cons. just make the best of all situations
Real-Time Opportunities
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2015
Efforts here are constantly tested in the real-world. Developing IT solutions which integrate, introduce and provide technological solutions to enhance and augment Homeland Security and crime fighting...
Clerical Operations Support ( Human Resources)
Clerical Assistant (OA) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2015
Clerical Operations
Preformed this duty of The Metropolitan Police Department, extremely critical and important part of operations. Served the Department Test for Furture Police in the city and around the country.
Highly Stressful but Rewarding and Challenging
Unit Commander (Current Employee) –  2850 new york avenue, ne washington dc 20032July 31, 2015
I have worked in a mid level manager position for over fourteen years. My typical day at work consists of dealing with First Amendment protestors, suspicious package calls for service, supervising bomb techs, canine handlers, supervisors, and helicopter pilots. My job can be very stressful, and mentally challenging. And, I would not have it any other way.
Pros
Interacting with a lot of influential people
Cons
Extensive work hours
Great and challenging working environment
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington dcJuly 27, 2015
Great City and Police Department to work for. The most rewarding part of the job is the ability to impact the lives of people in a positive manner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Police Department. Our community is ready to answer.

Metropolitan Police Department Reviews by Location