Metropolitan State University of Denver Employee Reviews

Higher Education
Data Center and Storage Administator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 20, 2016
Working in Higher Education is a good experience to get ones foot into the door, this especially helps when you graduated from the same institution and are working for it as a full time employee.
The positions are state employee based and the raises vary greatly per what the budget allows, as it receives its primary funding from the state.

The overall culture is good and it all depends on what department you get to work for. As each department get to freedom to help its employees. I've learned alot over the past few years and still growing with everyday knowledge.
It does get sometimes a bit routine working as when there is downtime one has to find things to keep busy. But working and maintaining a data center is this environment is fairly easy and not to much demanding.

Coworkers are great to have lunch with and it makes the day go by faster.

Overall my satisfaction working for this higher ed institution has been a very pleasant and rewarding along the way throughout the years.
Pros
Very good atmosphere, and great campus location plenty of food choices, and near downtown.
Cons
parking on campus can be tricky, especially when special events are held, and also due to new construction
Work study position very educational
Office Support / Work Study (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 17, 2016
This was a general office position with focus on maintaining education requirements rather than job duties. Duties mainly consisted of copy / scan projects for the professors to ensure compliance with disability laws and providing excerpts from rare old books that could not be found in quantities required for student access. Office cleaning, organization and stocking of supplies, assisting students with professor contact/ office hour information and directions to classrooms and buildings on campus.
Pros
Plenty of time to work on assignments for classes on most days
Cons
Duties and expectations did not challenge a seasoned employee
Only an Intern, but Love this institution
Athletics Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 28, 2016
I can't say enough good things about MSU-Denver. The Athletics department is very welcoming and work with my schedule on a daily basis. The administration staff are very friendly and are easy to work with. Respect everybody that works in that office.
See previous note
Visiting Professor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 26, 2016
See note above on metro state
Hardworking and dedicated staff and faculty
Ongoing training
Career development opportunity
Pros
CHOOSE OWN SCHEDULE OF COURSE
Cons
LACK OF COMMUNICATION
Database Administration
Software Engineer and Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 4, 2013
I work in the office of Advancement and External Relations at MSU Denver, developing the Raiser's Edge database which oversees all school constituents, donors, events, and solicitor prospects.

Due to MSU Denver being a foundation, the majority of their funding comes from the state or these solicitor prospects and donors.

Responsibilities include project planning and implementation, global database audits and maintenance, metrics gathering and analytics, and daily advancement and external relations tasks.
Adjunct teaching
Part-Time Affiliate Faculty (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2014
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a great place. Because I was adjunct faculty, I did not receive benefits, but I have a flexible work schedule.
One of the worst management
Writer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 30, 2012
I've had quite a bit of experience with several management in many companies and have to say that the management is very passive aggressive in how they belittle their employees especially the newer hires. Management was confused about where to place the position I applied for and had different supervisors in a month. No one cared to provide an orientation of the culture and system of the organization. The interview process was not planned very well.

Learned that the school cares about image more than quality of education which is really disappointing because I was intrigued by the classes they offer.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the student workers and the most of the employees. Although management somehow seemed to enjoy creating tension between employees, there were some that held their own very well was genuine.
Pros
you can set your own lunch time
Cons
inconsiderate management, tension between employees, management not trusting their employees, lack of direction
A great place to work if you are looking for advancing your leadership
Student Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 29, 2015
At MSU Denver orientation, I learned my leadership style and was given many opportunities to lead my peers. This was something I did not expect to do at such a young age. I learned about how to handle conflicts, how to motivate others, and how to hold myself accountable. My boss, Amy Dinise-Halter was the best boss I ever had. She did so much for my leadership. She covered for my other boss who really sat on his hands all day. The most enjoyable part pf the job was the inclusive and fun environment we created. It allowed me to be who I was who I could be. The hardest part is going to be leaving this job. It was a fdantastic opportunity.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 19, 2015
As a student TA for the Biology Department, this is a great place to gain experience and knowledge. All the professors are great with their TA's and know what to expect from each and everyone of them.
Pros
Knowledge of teaching, flexible on hours
Cons
Fun, challenging, and rewarding position.
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2015
My job as a mathematics tutor at MSU Denver is best described as having a pop quiz every five minutes. People studying disciplines from all walks of life would stop by to discuss the mathematical concepts surrounding their studies and as a tutor it was my job to provide them with the best incite that I could. From environmental sciences and meteorology to chemistry and calc--based physics, I was challenged daily to learn quickly and solve problems effectively. I also learned to work independently as well as collaborate with others to obtain desired solutions.
Pros
Satisfaction in helping others, Problem Solving
Cons
Small amount to working hours.
Good place to start
Program Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 5, 2015
MSU Denver is a good place to begin a professional career after graduating college. The challenge for me came when I was ready to continue growing and progressing professionally and the opportunities within the University were limited.
Great department in a growing college system in central Denver
Adjunct Instructor for Industrial Design Dept. (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 14, 2013
Metro State continues to impress me with the faculty, improved campus, facilities, and dedication to providing an affordable high-quality education. The Industrial Design department at the Auraria campus continues to reflect the changes and improvements seen throughout the college, and i'm flattered to be a contributor to this team of professors. I enjoy sharing my knowledge and professional experience with the students in this positive and nurturing environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great campus and work environment.
Cons
Last minute canceling of courses and limited work hours.
Mostly a very good place to work
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 20, 2013
The best part of the job was interacting with students and faculty. The hardest part of the job was the petty politics and changing "office scapegoat" that kept most of the staff uncomfortable.
Pros
fellow workers
Cons
management
great variety of transportation
Assistant to the AVP of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 9, 2013
Very busy department during the summer semester. I have learned a multitude of duties, from being an admin assistant to managing the FT Faculty and Administrators salaries and making sure that their pay is correct. The hardest part of the job is that I feel like I'm doing more than I should and is not appreciated. The most enjoyable part of my job is the employees I support on a day to day basis. I love interacting with people and love giving great customer service to everyone.
MSU Denver
Project and Classroom Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 3, 2015
I worked at Metro State in various capacities for almost 10 years. I loved the people I worked with, however advancement within the University was very hard.
was working on shows and my internship with kaiser wasn't really a paid job
Assistant Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 16, 2014
well i went to school here so i spent a lot of time here. i learned a lot from many different classes and types of people i would meet, a true melting pot. my directors and teachers inspired and gave my chances to perform and express myself in ways. hardest part was realizing that real life had to begin and i couldn't perform all the time i was gonna have to find a grown up job.
Pros
got my degree, met so many friends
Cons
super expensive
Metro State Diploma Mill University. Or, The University of Unemployment, whichever.
Broadcast/Communications Graduate (Former Employee) –  Classrooms & LabsMay 22, 2013
First of all, Metro State College is a diploma mill. But, when I read about employees unfortunate experience working there, I now wonder what kind of institution they are. Students aren't getting their money's worth. It's a disgrace what goes on in the administration departments -- adults acting like little brats while students are paying high tuition and/or loan debt. Metro State just smells funny.
Fantastic
Administrative Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 6, 2015
MSUDenver has a great work culture with lots of stimulation as it is a University. Being around people that are educated and working at an institution such as MSU Denver is quite a unique experience.
Very flexible but not too productive
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2014
A lot of sitting around and waiting for students. Learned a few administrative skills. Management and coworkers were very nice. Not s very hard job an the relationships were great.
A great place to learn from other faculty while having fun teaching others in downtown Denver
Affiliate Faculty Member (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 3, 2014
My employment at MetroState has allowed me to stay up to date with important concepts related to Chemistry. It has also improved my teaching, managing, public speaking and problem solving skills. I am grateful to have the opportunity to teach at my alma mater.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan State University of Denver. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2