Metropolitan Transportation Authority

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

Poor morale for professionals with no career path
Senior Associate Counsel (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2016
Constant budget concerns and un-kept promises by upper management to professional staff, keeping us in line without merit increases or career paths while union workers rake in outrageous salaries based on manipulation of overtime and other rules. Highly politically charged atmosphere. No respect for attorneys, in that business, money, and deadlines come first, and cautionary legal advice is more likely than not unheeded based on expediency. Co-workers are by and large nice and competent. There are no perks--we are the government. Business machines and computers are always in need of repair. Awful offices with run-down facilities. Hardest part of the job is the realization that there are no mentors and nobody cares if you do excellent work--there is always an excuse to not promote you, or give you a merit raise that is decent, or even give you a pat on the back.You are constantly falling behind. Management is "tone deaf" or worse.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Read the review
Low career energy with minimal advancement possibilites
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
Low career energy with minimal advancement possibilities. Without a merit based culture individual contributions are dispersed and confused. Long term job security within the structure is generally assured..
Lot to do
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
The work is easy but very meticulous. We have a lot of work and management adds on to the load with high expectations. A normal day would be completing calculations and requesting information along with answering questions from retirees and active employees. Then I have to meet the goals that are placed on everyone in the department, and special projects requested by management.
Pros
Free metrocard
Cons
No advancement
Not a bad place
Assistant Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 30, 2016
If you want a steady check and to see the work you do in the public, then this is the job for you. Its a government job through and through, if you show up everyday you won't be fired.
Pros
hour lunch break, flexible work hours depending on department, stable job
Cons
Politics
Very productive and exciting working with customers
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2016
A typical work day for me at this job is very exciting. You get to work with many different people from all over. I learn many different things everyday, starting from learning about the different types of routes you take to learning about how to deal with the different types of customers. Management is great, they come to you and talk to you when things needs to be done, and work with you on your schedule if you need days off or anything like that. My co-workers at this job was awesome. We were like a big family, we worked great with each other, we all brought different things to the table. There really wasn't a hard part of the job. I'm a fast learner so everything I adapted to it really fast. The most enjoyable part of my job doing great events and meeting different people.
Pros
Getting to work with people, giving information
Cons
No health care
Game Room and Health Room, is nice to have on site.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 8, 2016
Friendly, updates, planning, collecting route information, Pre-Trip Bus, Traffic awareness, and weather conditions,

Everyday is different, Always keep a good attitude, never take people for granted. Always be early to work for the unexpected events.

Lack of communication of informing employees of the correct action to take to handle certain problems. Over looks Personal Health issues.

Friendly, informative, willing to help if they can,

Working under Health Issues. and trying to keep a position you love, and worked hard to get.

My Co-workers, Being a Bus Driver, Being Apart of a team at Metro Transit, The Benefits of Being a Metro Transit Employee.
Pros
Makeing a living
Cons
Unfair Policy when it come to some Health issues, disabilty workers
Great Benefits and Great Pay
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2016
As a bus operator at MARTA we are able to have a stable career with great benefits and great wages. Advancement opportunities are limited.
Pros
Free Travel Expenses, Union Represented, Great Benefits, Little Supervision
Cons
Sitting Job, Small Lunch Breaks
Highly bureaucratic
Organization Development and Change Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2016
Highly bureaucratic. Some individuals thrive in this environment. The MTA is a big organization with a lot of opportunity for growth and advancement. If you are willing to put in the time, it could be a good place.
Pros
Employees like the benefit package
Cons
quasi governmental agency
over all very nice balance of job work/life balance
PeopleSoft Techno/Functional Consultant (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYAugust 30, 2016
Interacted with Business team, agencies, Business leads for requirement gathering, fit gap analysis and different issues during the upgrade process. Hard part of the job would be gathering all related objects to a specific project and make an excel sheet of the same.Enjoyed solving tickets regarding payroll and time sheet.
Pros
project documentation, organized work units and schedule
Cons
Micro management
Productive and fun place to work for.
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2016
MTA New York City Transit is the largest public transportation agency in North America and one of the largest in the world. The subway has a daily ridership of 5.6 million and an annual ridership in 2014 of roughly 1.751 billion. Our fleet of more than 6,300 subway cars traveled approximately 361.1 million miles in 2014, along 660 miles of track, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, although not all routes operate around the clock. There are 469 subway stations, including 109 made accessible to customers with disabilities, via elevators and ramps. NYC Transit Subway serves Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens, making 7,883 weekday trips. MTA Staten Island Railway (SIR) serves Staten Island and has four ADA-accessible stations..
High Stress
CCTV OBSERVER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 7, 2016
Providing customer service to thousands every day 24hrs a day.
Offers great pay and benefits and retirement. Have alot of different locations to work.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Very stressful
Fun place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2016
I really would rather not comment as of yet on this company. I have encountered many problems with management here. I have nothing further to say at this point.
Semi Productive place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2016
Semi Productive place to work to stay focus on what I am doing management needs to be more professional the same with co workers to disregard the politic being able to help customers
Pros
Overtime
Cons
no breaks
this job required extra care for the disabled clients.
Metro Access Driver (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 22, 2016
The readiness on the part of employees to work with utmost diligence and care is a must.The type of training that we acquired before even working as drivers enabled us to work as a team and enjoy our tasks.It was sometimes stressful when we were using wheel chairs in the vehicles but it was always fun to encounter new clients on board.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
thirty mile trip to the office
Culture of the Company Changing
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, New YorkNovember 12, 2015
When i started with this organization over 25 years ago there was a need to develop a culture for the Organization to get out of the "blame" game in addressing day-to-day Administrative issues, ie.e, Payroll, Timekeeping, Human Resources etc. It took awhile but the Culture changed and the Organization supported the employees and thus productivity and goal achievement was at an all time record.

Recently, over the last 3 years this has changed and the Organization has switched the Culture back to the "blame" game which I feel becomes totally unproductive and you lose sight of the needs of the Organization and the important role your Employees play in achieving its Goals.

the most enjoyable part of the Job is assisting the Organization to meet its goals and specially dealing with employees on a one-to one level. Since the Organization has over 60,000 active employees, this has been a great challenge.

Problem Solving and Quantitative Analysis has been an integral part of this Job which is enjoyable and rewarding especially when addressing Employees.
Pros
Time Management with Family Needs
Cons
Change in Culture
Typical Cubicle Job
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2016
It's a decent enough place to work at. Like any job they have their pros and cons that varies from person to person. Workplace is inviting, but kind of distant. Everyone focus's on their work as interaction is minimal unless required to.
Productive workplace
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2016
Arrive at the bus division, sign-on at a timely manner and according to the rule book. View assignment and bus route, coupled with all individually assigned products/properties.
Pros
Meet all-sorts of people
Cons
extra board
Not A Job but A Career
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 25, 2015
MTA provides career opportunities for those that wish to retire. The benefits are outstanding and the culture is welcoming and warming. Just an all around great company.
Pros
Ability to design your own career goals
Cons
Full-time can be overwhelming
this job is good company to work for.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2016
I love working with the public/I also like working with my coworkers.The company is a positive place I would recommened this job to other people for advasment and opportunity.
great pay and bad work life balance
Train Operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2015
Days work includes movement of revenue trains.
I learned how to operate a train.
Management doesn't care about employees.
Co workers were o.k.
The hardest part of the job was not having control of your schedule and no work life balance.
The most enjoyable part was operating a train.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
environment and work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Our community is ready to answer.