Metropolitan Transportation Authority

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Employer Reviews

Great workplace
Line Supervisor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, work environment
Cons: short breaks, very fast paced
managed 40 mechanics on a daily basis,performing repairs and preventive maintenance including cleaning,fueling and safety checks. Coworkers were helpful and fun.
Dedicated to providing Transportation Systems to Metro New York
Procurement Support Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NuYFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: too long of a commute four hours per day
Processing Ads for new contracts, distributing mail, and confidential information to procurement agents, heavy telephone volume with vendors. Attended frequent bid openings that were open to general public for new contracts both in construction and purchasing of services and supplies. Was able to communicate very well with over 35 co workers on a day – more... to day basis. – less
Nice place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Friendly environment even as big as the MTA is the company had many great people to work with and teaching you the functions of the company
PRODCUTION ASSISTANT
Production Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2014
HANDS ON EXPERIENCE FOR ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN TV PRODUCTION
MTA Business Service Center
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: free transportation pass, and great medical benefits.
Cons: short lunch breaks, and to much politics with unions.
It's very challenging dealing with managers that micro-manage all day. It’s totally not what I expected. If you’re coming from the private sector you will be in twilight zone.
great work enviroment with great support of management in performing my tasks.
EasyPay Program Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 26, 2013
Its an internship job but unlike other internships this one is a real job. I enjoy the full support of management and they help me perform my task in an excellent and timely manner. I have come to understand the whole management and operational system of the agency. I enjoy the great corporation and motivation of my co-workers.
Challenging and Rewarding
Bus Operator (Current Employee), CADecember 8, 2013
To be able to operates a motor coach safely and in accordance with designated schedule and maintain order among passengers during trips to ensure safety a comfortable ride.
day at work
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Bronx, New YorkNovember 20, 2013
Pros: vacation
Cons: insurance
On a typical day, a school bus driver arrives at the bus yard early to get the school bus ready. They check the bus to ensure it is running safely, clean the interior and exterior of the bus, and collect any lost and found items that children may have left from the previous day.

They also make sure the bus has enough fuel - buses carry about 100 gallons – more... and make about 7 miles per gallon. Then they hit the road.

School buses travel on established routes each morning to pick up children and safely drop them off at the front door of the school. The route may go through rural farmland, winding suburbs, or packed urban areas. Schools are everywhere and so are school buses.

In the afternoon, the bus driver reverses the morning routine and returns the children to their homes. The job consists of 20 hours or more a week behind the wheel. If a driver wants to work more, there are opportunities to drive teams to sporting events or science classes on field trips to museums. Some urban school districts stagger their schools hours so school bus drivers will drive multiple routes in one day.

Whenever they work, they must always keep on schedule - schools, parents, and events depend on the bus arriving on time. This can be challenging when there are traffic jams, road construction, or bad weather. A professional bus driver must always keep his cool. As long as the children arrive safely, a late bus can be overlooked.

The most important aspect of being a school bus driver is safety. Drivers must know and follow all traffic laws. They need to keep a watchful eye on children. Other vehicles are the biggest danger. If a cell phone distracts another driver or they are fiddling with the radio, they may not see the bus's flashing lights or stop sign arm swing out. Luckily, school buses travel 5,760,000,000 miles each year and they do so with very few incidents - mostly because school bus drivers are always on the look out.

Driving a school bus may not seem like a crazy job, but it can be. School bus drivers must be prepared for all sorts of things - traffic, angry parents, fights, bullying, medical emergencies, and other unexpected things that children might do. Any issue that arises needs to be dealt with professionally and cheerfully.

Bus drivers must obtain a commercial drivers license with special endorsements.

They must have a clean driving record, a spotless criminal record, and pass drug and alcohol tests. Many school districts require school bus training that covers emergencies, laws, district policies, special needs students, first aid, routes, and driver student relations.

Transporting the nation's precious cargo takes a lot of responsibility. Honest, trustworthy, friendly, safety-conscious school bus drivers are always needed. – less
Top job on NYC
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 16, 2013
Pros: greatest co-workers.
Cons: build skills, great salary, good advancement, great opportunity
I helped out he Assistant Supervisor of the 6 line MTA and loved this job. I leaned office administrative skills, traveling with managers and working with managers both in the Bronx and Manhattan. I learned how the trains get fixed and who is in control of tracks from the Bronx to the Manhattan and I got to do it my-self to see what the job is like – more... (In Bx & Man. NY.). I learned how to change the tracks both digitally and with handles. I helped out with reports, faxed letters, organized the cabinets/files/offices areas/stock and ordered supplies. I would help out with any task asked with office areas, computer's, etc. the co-workers were GREAT, just the best group of people to work with. the hardest part was telling my boss that I'm young and even though they all wanted me to stay; I still wanted to go to do college and try for the police dept. (at the time/that year it was like a dream job for me) but, I wish I'd stayed, now I dream for a job with the MTA again. the hardest part was leaving cause the bond was so Great with the workers/ we keep in contact at times. being at this job was the most enjoyable, always something to do, good encouragement, great advice, great workmanship, great team work, great leadership great environment. – less
the customer
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Gardena, CAAugust 19, 2013
Everything they do (like the rules) they do for the customer so they don't get sued. there motto is let them ride even if it is for free.
Great Job to work for
BSC (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 21, 2013
great co-workers and great place to work - opportunity for advancement
Large & interesting company with its share of issues
Auditor I (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 20, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: outdated thinking and processes leading to inefficiencies
The MTA is a very interesting place to work, full of wonderful people, but with very obvious and public issues.

I have learned a great deal about the various agencies and systems at the MTA. A "typical" day involves performing audit work, either in the planning, fieldwork, or reporting stages, and communicating audit results to the auditee and management – more... when the audit is complete. My co-workers are a generally pleasant and helpful bunch, and management, while at times creating an adversarial relationship with the staff, is generally trying to do as much as possible with very limited resources. The hardest part of the job is that all of our efforts are directed towards customer service, and the customer can be the biggest cause of the problems that we find as auditors. There is an interesting dichotomy between customer expectation and customer effort to minimize their own negative impact on the system itself (e.g., throwing trash on tracks, and damaging property such as MetroCard Vending Machines and elevators). The most enjoyable part of the job is the great, hardworking people I meet during my audits. It is a true joy to interact with so many dedicated professionals doing all they can to keep such a large and complicated system up and running for millions of customers. – less
Fun place treat us like family had pool table, weight room, pin pon, and quite room.
Bus Operator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CaJune 13, 2013
Pros: charity work, vactions
Cons: could get layed off any time and partimer / lower rake leaves first.
Typical day gather my routes, any new information needed for the public. Learned how to play pin pon real good, and learned it's best to arrive to work an hour before starting. Co-workers was wonderful they were older than great teachers. Hardest part was getting use to the time switch,never late. enjoyable part was when i see my passenger enjoying – more... there ride and getting to work on time. – less
Constructive work experience
Intern (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2013
great place to create and gain work experience for business field.
Data Entry Operator (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 9, 2013
Pros: not much. i'm a temps
Cons: no benefits.
I'm a temp there through a agency.
Their nice and productive.
Always busy and getting things done.
excellent Job
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2013
Exciting, dispite the passengers that try to board without paying the regular fare. My job was very enterprising.
My experiences
Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2013
A typical day would be checking my backups, emails, working on tickets and projects. Monitoring my alert screen and documentation.

What I've learned is its not how much you know, but how willing you are to learn. Thus, your approach towards challenges is critical to how and if you can over come them.

It is of utmost importance to maintain a perfect – more... relationship or communication with management at all times.

With my co-workers, I would say its All for one, and one for all. I thrive on that.

The hardest part of the job is also one of my best as well. Facing new challenges be it troubleshooting an unknown or unfamiliar issue or tuning the database at a more complex level.

The best part of the job is saving the day or a successful completion of a project. – less
Love the staff, executives not so much
Assistant Transportation Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2012
Pros: excellant benefits
Cons: advancement based on who you know.
Wonderful culture, great place to work. I worked for the organization for thirty years, we were able to send our chlideren to college, very stable and wonderful co-workers. Hard work but it was productive and a lot of fun.
Not a good place
Operations Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 10, 2012
Pros: pay
Cons: management, co workers, culture
I'm with the MTA business service center and it's the most stressful place to work. Management don't know their right from their left. Everything is an emergency, they don't care abt life work balance. The pay is good, benefits are ok. The ppl are rude and incompetent.

yaw2013 – February 28, 2013

i wish to work for MTA i have the quality but and a degree but still cant get a chance.

Pressure filled atmosphere drove me to work diligently & effectively!
Standards Enforcement & Risk Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 10, 2012
Pros: challenging environment
Constantly busy with requests to approve insurance on several contracts. In addition to working with Management in solidifying insurance boilerplate language to help meet market standards. Team enviroment where co-workers pitched in as well as providing their expertise opinions.