Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent company; great benefits; a lot of advancement and educational opportunities. are available with this company
Secretary, Const. Dept., Office of Eng. (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2015
Secretary in the Office of Engineering, Construction Department.
8-5, M-F Office work. Lots of forms, letters, telephone calls to screen for the Mgr. Manager and co-workers were great and very educated in their field of expertise. Hardest part of job, getting the Manager to go through his in-box before 4 p.m.! Working as a team member and seeing the results at the end of each project.
Pros
Excellent benefits and annual pay raises.
Cons
Screening out unwanted salesman or contractors.
Ok
Co-Op Student (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 28, 2016
Good company in charge of running Dulles and Reagan airports. Good solid company to work for with good job security. Strong tight knit community of employees.
The Worst Place You Want To Be
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 21, 2015
A very chaotic/cut-throat work environment. Poor management with unrealistic expectation and no support.

No work/life balance and you are required to work excruciating long work and weekends are the normal. Technology there always have issues and cause a lot of down time.
Pros
Pension
Cons
No breaks, long meetings, no work life balance, obnoxious managers
Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
communications (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
Very in engaging and rewarding work environment. Always looking to improve, acquire more customers (passengers and airlines). Take care of employees very well and have numerous airport related events throughout the year.
Pros
very good benefits package and salaries.
Cons
difficult to communicate possible improvements.
Great place to work that fosters teamwork and growth opportunities
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 21, 2012
This is a cusomer service oriented organization. Most days involve assisting travelers using the airports in the Washington DC area.

Safety is a high priority. All divisions work in concert to ensure that customers and employees alike are provided a safe environment. All divisions work interdependently, which means each employee understands their role and how it impacts on others in the organization.

The most challenging aspect of working here may be the 24/7 operation which can require work at odd hours and on weekends and holidays.

What is most enjoyable about working here is the people you work with. There is a sense of pride in the work being done by the workforce. Employees are willing to go the extra mile to provide quality service.
Pros
compensation and benefits, fellow employees
Cons
working hours shifted with little to no notice.
Good place to work. Good people to work with.
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 20, 2014
For the most part I enjoyed working there. The majority of people working there were great. Every organization has its problem people so for the overall experience, I really liked working there and would go back if it was an option for me. I have retired and it would not benefit me to return.
Pros
good compensation, benefits, and training.
Cons
24/7 operation work on holidays and weekends
Team effort productivity and friendly work environment
Administrative Assistant-F/T (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 30, 2013
Excellent training program and incentives. Fast career growth and advancement. Friendly environment. Yearly performance review. Excellent benefits.
Generally cares about welfare of employees
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 24, 2013
Great place to work, just to much government bureauracy. I was Office Administrator at which I worked for 6 staff members performing administrative duties like travel arrangements, setup conference calls and meetings, produce form letters. etc.
Pros
great benefits
Overall, a good professional place to work and will hire and train quickly.
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 9, 2015
Pros: People are easy going and pretty much easy to work with, and the job is pretty easy for the most part. The pay rate is also supposed to be going back up to a reasonable rate. Also, a lot of the things in the Cons section were for a certain period of time, as changes and improvements are currently in process right now, which includes wage increase and a more comfortable structured working environment. This review is basically a description of what the job once was.

Cons: The pay rate was not worth it (at that particular time, as there will be a wage increase within the next few months) and you could get written up for things that are not your fault if their technology malfunctions and indicates that you were the one who made the mistake. This does not happen too often, however, as most times it will be human error. Part of the problem with this is if you call or ask for help from a "higher up" (manager or lead supervisor, etc.) and they tell you to do something, then you do it and it turns out to be the wrong thing to do, it will be recorded in the system under your ID number and the company will write you up, which can lead to your termination. You were given a chance to explain - after the write up was already completed and recorded into the system... However, all this was while I was working there. Now there is a new project manager who is making changes, improvements, and fixing things up and I recommend this job for anyone who is looking for a comfortable, laid back but fast pace position with good pay, NOW.

A current or new employee may provide a higher rating
  more... due to the changes being made at the company. I would not mind going back.  less
Pros
New project manager, improvements and wage increase
Cons
Depends on your expectations, personality, and desires when it comes to the position.
Fast place, dynamic and continue learning
Program Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 5, 2015
This was a very good job, but all contracts come to an end, My days are planned but juggling is part of my everyday life. In an Airport environment. One thing about an Airport all plans are subject to change, problem solving and flexibility.
Very Professional
General Ledger Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2015
The authority runs both the airports in the DC area, which is a big task. The accountants are professional and competent and willing to teach. Also friendly.
Cooest job I've ever had
General Engineering Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2012
A typical day at work would consist of file management. This is filing papers, photocopying thing - administrative stuff. Sometimes we would get the chance to get tours around the airport to see what it is that their engineers do on a daily basis. I found this pretty interesting. We would have daily meetings about how we could possibly make the environment for future interns better at the aiport. Also, I found an interest in photography from this job because one of my co-workers was a part-time photographer and engineer at the airport and he had great pictures of the airport.
Pros
good pay
Productive fun workplace with a great group of coworkers
Print shop Summer intern (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 2, 2015
I learned so much about how the airport works and a new side of the graphics industry by working at the Print/Sign shop. We got to go to many different parts of the airport replacing signs or adding new ones even designing stuff for new airlines coming into the airport. I could not be more grateful for all that the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority has done for me.
Always on your feet
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2015
Great job but must be mobile for the entire shift. Small enough department that it feels like a family, but large enough to gain advancments.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
8 hours shifts with permanent days off
Work life balance, everyone is nice to everybody
Audit Senior (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 18, 2013
A typical day at work is to attend meetings, conduct fieldwork and write reports. I've learned multiple discipline in the aviation industry as well as the regulations impacting the aviation industry. My co-workers are great, I enjoy dealing with them most of the time. We respect each and everyone's privacy. The hardest part of the job is when you work at something at a very pressing deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job is the authority's health initiative. We are encouraged to walk, exercise, get physical.
Pros
free mass transit
Cons
media meddling
Very high profile and security
Public Safety Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 4, 2012
Working here at Reagan National Airport in there Police Department was very interesting. I had to Receives emergency and non-emergency calls; enters accurate and pertinent information into the Computer Aided Dispatch system; maintains status on all personnel units assigned to the channels; responds to the public safety personnel requests for information; and performs other related assignments as directed. While doing this I had to make sure that I was very alert
I learned a lot and was given a lot of independence.
Intern, Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2013
The company is in transition.
Many people are resistant to change and new technology.
There is a large lack of communication.
People get stuck in their ways.
Transitioning to a full time position as an intern is almost impossible.
Pros
independence
Cons
lack of communication
Great work environment
Junior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 19, 2014
This is a great place to meet people from around the world and learn new things. i enjoyed my time working there a great deal.
A fun place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2013
Operate various Heavy Equipment in all phase of construction. Transport Heavy Equipment to and from storage and Jobsites. Training Co-worker for their CDL. Temporarily supervise 19 employees, while completing Works orders in 24hrs.
Pros
operate various small and heavy equipments
Cons
low otr miles
OBIEE/ETL Consultant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 25, 2013
great environment, the management team goes a great length to accommodate its employees.

Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Reviews by Job Title