Metz Culinary Management Employee Reviews

Job with good hours.
Head Cook/Chef at Erie School District location (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 11, 2017
My job with Metz is preparing lunches for a Erie, PA high school on a daily basis. This consists of batch cooking on multiple lines.I prep and execute the food for the students. I work with a good crew that are hard working and dependable. The hardest part of the job is the not knowing if we will have our jobs. The Erie School District is sinking and it is causing a domino effect on us all.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that the students love my cooking. A lot of these kids are not exposed to so many foods. I do a great job introducing them to new things. I am creating flavors for their young palates.
Pros
Great working hours: Monday through Friday 6:30-2:00 PM
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, and no guarantee for advancement
Pls dont waste your talents!!
Not important (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEFebruary 6, 2017
The overall idea of the job is great! The patients and staff within the hospital/nursing home make you feel appreciated, however the management for Metz itself is a joke. Issues are addressed in the most disrespectful manor, and you are treated like a disposable piece of trash even when you are doing an amazing job! There is no consistency and your life does not matter. Schedules change in a whim, you could be in your day off and the night before at 9pm they decide you need to be in, but no one calls you to inform you or ask and when you don't show up (cause you don't know) your in trouble once again. It seems as though nothing you is right, and don't plan doing anything on vacation that you have to pay ahead of time for. You may be approved for a month and then 2 days before you start vacation they decide you're now denied. Idk if this is an overall issue with Metz but it deffinately is at the Lewiston Maine location. Pls think before you apply. I could add a lot more, but I'll stop where I'm at.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Where to begin
Hortible company
Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 17, 2017
Family owned and operated total bottom feeders they take contracts nobody else wants. Stay away hold out for a real company. You get thrown under the bus on a regular basis.
Cons
Poor leadership by DM/VP u can do better
Great work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 9, 2017
Awesome place to work. Great management and benefits. a lot of laughs. it feels like a family. Low pay though. management is understanding and will listen to concerns
Pros
Free food
Cons
low pay
flexible with food & beverage products sold, tried new items healthy
Cashier, add Utility (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJanuary 6, 2017
this Food Service company does present for sale in College Dining quality type salads, protein, health drinks in self-serve refrig. Grill cooks are separate. Raises never discussed in period I worked June to May2015. Short by one month reaching one year service when I had to resign for personal reasons. With previous food service co. 3 years and one a year review January.
Pros
free lunch and 30min unpaid lunch break, General Mgr very accomodating when my mom died out of state only 2 months after hired, I could fly out of state and stay as long as needed.
bad management
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 17, 2016
not enough understanding, no training, fired for the stupidest reason management sucked they didn't treat employees right fired people left and right and made other workers pick up the slack
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
everything else
Great Leadership
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MENovember 6, 2016
About time we changed the leaders. Refreshing to see smart people that care about the resident and patients.

The food is the best in town.

The management team is the best its ever been.

Pay is great.
Lacking in safety
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Kingston, PAOctober 28, 2016
When you think about working in dietary no problem right? Well when it comes to MENTAL HEALTH they lack in safety for their staff. Going to work and doing my job was my favorite part of my day until the patients needed to eat. There is no protection, there seems to be techs and security on but no one ever available (I always had to hunt them down) to protect dietary. CHS trains their staff for violent outbursts and verbal or physical altercations. Dietary is METZ not CHS so they are not. I was verbally abused, threatened and scared several times until I broke. I called my boss she said there was nothing she could do it happens all the time that patients have rights. I loved working for METZ until that point. I felt I had no choice but to quit. Think long and hard before you go to First Hospital or Choices Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Kingston, PA. Your NOT protected and they DO NOT care.
Pros
Free Meal (but they get repetitious)
Cons
Worrying day to day if you'll be lashed out at or attacked by a patient.
A highly active work invironment. Always on you're feet.
Hospitality Associate (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEOctober 6, 2016
This job is all day on your feet. Each job is at least 8 to 10 hours a day for full time positions. Working with patients and residents enriches your experience, helping those who truly need you. You get to really meet people and help them feel wanted with your service.
The downside to this job is the inconsistency of the environment. You must get used to a pattern and be able to quickly change when things change. Developments within the management keep you on your toes each week while departments and regulations adjust. Once Metz at St. Mary's establishes a more set tone to their systems, this will be a much more inviting space to work.
Pros
Free lunch for certain food items; (pizza, burger, grilled cheese, salad)
Cons
No guaranteed days off, not an established schedule, will work holidays and weekends occasionally.
Terrible Employer
Lackey (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 3, 2016
Total bottom feeder company
Only takes contracts nobody else wants
Distrustful leadership weak and sketchy
Claims to have systems but don't
Don't look for support you are on your own
No job security
Too busy kissing client butt and will be thrown under the bus
No mentoring Florida DM is aweful
it's a family run business not a real Corp.
Pros
Cons
see above
Better if they weren't around
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MESeptember 26, 2016
Thought it would be a great change outsourcing. Not so much. Less benefits for paying more. Lose employees constantly but only rehire a few to fill the position. And if you work a few minutes of overtime to get the job done you're disciplined, which doesn't make sense when you're delivering food to a hospital including a birthing unit and can't plan when a baby is coming out. Also, posted a job to replace someone without even cross-training someone as well as double the insurance payments bi-weekly with more out of pocket with Rx and CoPays. Stressful overall and they make excuses for people who always call out. Only a good temp job until you find something better
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Healthcare benefits, no job security
No comment
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 24, 2016
Hard worker not promoted yet like job though ok co-workers free lunch luff during summer just wish unemployment rate was more
Pros
Free food
It was ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, NYSeptember 24, 2016
It was only a part-time job. It was a fine company to work for but nothing is really excited. I don't have any negative experience there but not wanting to stay with the place either,
Great experience, wonderful people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 6, 2016
I recently worked here for about 2yrs, Great work ,had fun, even gotten a huge raised the first six months employed. I was terminated for misunderstanding a policy, mistakes happen i left my phone in my pocket due to that i was fired.
Great Company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PASeptember 1, 2016
Outstanding company top to bottom. Strong belief in treating people great, excellent executive team, positive atmosphere.
Overall experience
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 29, 2016
I thought Metz was a perfct fit for me, but during the summer months there is nothing to do. I forgot to ask for my new schedule, I missed 2 days and was let go.. I thought most of my co-workers were great, but there is always a few who aren't. I thought management was great, they did a lot for employees.Hardest part of the job was switching from one job roll to another without notice, but it happens. Oddly enough having to switch rolls on a daily basis was hard but fun. It was nice to meet the students and have fun doing something diferent.
Pros
Free lunch, diner, reward cards for doing good service and on special occasion gift cards to local restaurants
Cons
seeing people nit working as hard as they should or that they need to be
My review of Metz Contract company
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21202August 10, 2016
The work environment is a nice place to work at and very busy. Like most places these days you will need to train the staff to new systems. I learned to not to trust the hourly staff. The management team was one of the best that I've worked with in a long time.
The hardest part of me job was to teaching the staff since I was the only manager to run the BOH / FOH operation. When I was away from the area they would not follow simple instructions. Since it was a contract company, we managed mercy employees and it was a bit difficult dealing with HR.
The best part was the management team, we all worked well together to meet the customer needs.
Pros
Discount for lunch
Cons
Price Structure
Very Good
Senior Area Manager Manager (Current Employee) –  Waycross, GAAugust 5, 2016
Professional Growth for a period of time. Professional peer group.
Supportive senior management at unit level. Ability to use some independent skill sets.
Jack in the box
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Not importantJuly 14, 2016
At first it was and ok place to work, but you soon find out there is no room for growth. They make empty promises, they pretend to train you, they use you for their own benefit. No matter how much I asked to learn there was always some excuse. As for management they play you as stupid just to get their BONUS on your account. I would say proceed with caution this company is not for everyone. It's not what you know, but who.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
No advancement
fun
Deli and Salad Bar Attendee (Former Employee) –  Pepper Pike, OHJuly 6, 2016
metz was a friendly environment to work in, everyone was fun and loving. the customers were amazing and never had an attitude

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metz Culinary Management. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6