Miami Dade County Employee Reviews

Jail Setting
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day was hectic; incarcerated individuals can be very manipulative. I have worked in this particular job position for over 20 years. I learned to be very patient and to actively listen to other people. The culture of the jail is to be cautious alert and attentive at all times. It was dangerous and could be fatal if you were not aware of your surroundings. I had to develop a rapport with subordinates, colleagues, superiors and charges. The hardest part of the job was separating because I knew my job like the back of my hand but the stress level was becoming overbearing. The most enjoyable part was helping others.
Pros
Job security, the pay and benefits
Cons
Stress
Lack of Leadership
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 21, 2016
Assumed the travel liaison responsibilities for the department, and developed an innovative travel records system for processing of travel for County Operations.
Assisted the Budget coordinator with budget input on the various budget systems, including budget related duties that involved complex data worksheets & workbooks.
Responsible for reviewing the Board of County Commissioner agendas for items pertaining to IT and/ or ETSD and compiling agenda books for senior management.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too much office politics, Very little room for advancement unless you had family members in the right management positions.
Some people are great to work with
Prefer not to answer (Current Employee) –  SPCCDecember 15, 2016
Very political place, your position and salary will depend upon who you know. Lots of incompetent people who are protected by the unions. Incompetence is rewarded the same as productivity. Very stressful depending on the position you are in. Compensation through the roof, Executive positions make just as much or more than CEO's. Benefits are good but the staff providing information about the benefits are incompetent. Hiring, promoting, demoting depends on who you know and not merit. Management manipulates every single aspect of the day to day operations of the county.
Really amazing compensation and benefits
Correction officer 1 (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 24, 2017
The Job culture here lacks encouragement from veteran officers and supervisors. Most people do not want you there. I've seen the good and bad at this establishment. The good is minutiae while the bad is overwhelming. It's an amazing field where you can grow but the environment can be draining. The best way too approach working here is to set goals to assist the county in care, custody and control.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Staff Maturity, a sense of togetherness, humility of superiors
Productive and hectic place to work
Senior Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 23, 2016
A typical day started and ended with a number of payroll related questions, recommendations on possible disciplinary actions and reviewing of job descriptions for submittal to the centralized Compensation Unit. The management at the Aviation Department was always supportive and willing to listen to my comments about decision that would effect the department. My co-workers and peers knew that I was there to support them and as I felt they were there for me.
The hardest part of my job was giving an employee the notice that they were being laid off. The most enjoyable part to my job was solving a problem for an employee no matter what the problem was.
great
Park Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 12, 2017
You work in a "clean room" environment, but it was far from being clean. I've never seen such a unclean food environment in my life. Employees were constantly eating the popcorn, which to me was VERY unsanitary, but no one seemed to care. You work an 8 hour shift, yet, you only receive 1 break.... which is crazy to me. If you need money to pay your bills, this is NOT the place to work... a little over eight bucks is all you get. Although there were so many cons, the people there are really nice and management was wonderful. Btw, you will spend 6-8 hours watching a training video alone in a room, answering questions with a remote and eating popcorn... which I couldn't eat because I had to touch the remote. Don't worry, you'll be able to take the huge bag home with you.
Great working environment
Clerk Typist II (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 17, 2016
I enjoyed working for this department tremendously, my co workers were warm and empathetic people. We worked with the indigent population of Miami Dade county and the employees in my office had great compassion for the clients of the Community Based Organizations which we funded. The clients were our first priority, if the CBO performed well with their clients they were often appreciated through an increase in funding, if the CBO performed poorly and did not meet the needs of their specific population they were defunded.

My boss was a superior supervisor, because of her I was the first in the office to learn how to use a PC. She sent me to every computer training class imaginable.
Pros
Great benefits, great boss, great environment
Cons
none that I can think of
Good company to work for
Driver Attendant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 23, 2016
The best thing about this job is the relationship you build with the clients.The pay should be more hourly because it is a part-time position along with paid holidays. That's the reason for the high turnover rate with this department.
Cons
No benefits
it's simple and easy to work.
Poll Worker Inspector Part- Time (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 30, 2016
In my four times experience dong poll working as an EViD inspector it's been a very simple and easy task to do. I've worked well with my co-works honestly their all great people. The hardest part of it I would consider is turning away a voter because they aren't either at the right precent or aren't able to vote because they are inactive or not in the registration which is abit hard for me but i always try to do my best to inform them on what they should do.
Productive and great place to work
Personnel Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 18, 2015
Miami-Dade County was a great place to work, rated A+ with job promotions. Great benefits. Their training and certificate program is the best; work-friendly place with a very good support system for employees and customer services. My colleagues had a wonderful support system and believed in team work. I loved working HR, and the opportunity to work for Miami-Dade County, I learned a lot. The hardest part of my job was closing payroll, time management was a MUST. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting the demands of daily and bi-weekly payroll processing; taking care of employees issues with resolutions. And greeting new hires.
Miami-Dade County volunteer programs, and Goodwill Ambassador Crops is one of our best community services.
Pros
Educational Programs and Opportunity to advance
Cons
Parking, Budget Cuts
Slow paced environment.
Marina Landscape maintenance (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FLJanuary 20, 2017
Found an opportunity to implement my own landscaping ideas. Had a ton of unmanaged time so I often took advantage and tried different ideas I had for the local flora.
Pros
Plenty of Free time
Cons
No management, improper equipment.
learning new things everyday
Logistic Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 2, 2016
fast pace meaningful job lots of over time hours and the management is excellent, noting to difficult about the job just have to be aware
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
seasonal only
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 7, 2016
a good environment to work, co workers are very helpful with new employees, and also opportunity in advancement, would recommend anyone .
Pros
enough time for lunch
Cons
parking
Good Benefits
Call Specialist Lead (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 29, 2016
Great Benefits but like any county job politics rule over everything. So it does not allow you to enjoy or state your opinion without someone calling you out .
Pros
Benefits and 401 k
Cons
No job security all based on budget
Not Good
Court Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33125September 28, 2016
• File indictments, data entry information and verdicts.
• Process all civil and criminal cases.
• Research and prepare records to the court of appeals.
• Oversee new recruits skills and qualifications.
• Also interviewed for better assessment of qualified personnel and trained.
Pros
Manatin Family balance
Cons
Horrible culture
great place to work for
Investigator, Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 3, 2016
miami dade county is a good place to work for its a great place for advancement and great for public service. I really enjoyed my job as a dade county employee
Country club of Miami
Pro Shop Attendant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 24, 2016
This workplace is only busy during the winter. The energy level of everyone their is something that is very draining . The hardest thing about this job is that there was nothing to do. With this being the issue new management makes you find things when there is nothing to be done.
very professional work place.
Emergency Dispatch Operator (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FL0January 2, 2017
I love my job it's very inspiring to work with people from all walks of life with one goal to advance an maintain a professional image in the office an outside aswell.
Pros
team effort
Cons
no cons
Good work
Code Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 15, 2017
This is a repeat of a previous review. I would recommend working here. I had a great supervisor and coworker. some pressure to the job but overall a good experience.
Day at work
Civil Process Server (Current Employee) –  Miami, FlJanuary 23, 2017
Printing court documents to serve on individuals and companies. Handle skip traces on individuals who are evasive or avoiding service. Perform nightly stakeouts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Miami Dade County. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3