Miami University

Miami University Employer Reviews

Good job-- not too demanding
Student Aide (Current Employee), Oxford, OHFebruary 19, 2015
Student aides work with students during class with the their Classroom Learning Activities. Outside of class, we do consulting hours to help with homework tutorials and cases. Grading is a large portion of time on the job.
Association of Latin and American Students
President (Current Employee), Oxford, OhioFebruary 11, 2015
As president of the Association of Latin American Students I worked with members of the organization as well as various departments and organizations around campus to create meaningful and entertaining programming to teach about Latin American culture in the US and around the world.
Always fun to be here
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Oxford,OHJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: small and calm town...
Very great work experience and nice people. I learnt a lot during my graduate school. Oxford is a small town with all amenities, it is very beautiful in summer. I enjoyed working here and recommend everyone this place...
Mostly nice place to work but promotion possibilities non existent,and and compensation is ridiculous unless you are a Professor
Associate (Former Employee), Oxford, OHDecember 31, 2014
Pros: two free meals per day, college tuition for dependants
Cons: insufficient compensation, little or no regard for individual in assignments.
I wasn't looking for a career or I would never have considered Miami. They pay extremely well for Educators but everyone else is undervalued and considered expendable.Overall I enjoyed my time at Miami.
Fast paced and productive
Senior Baker (Former Employee), Oxford, OHDecember 29, 2014
Pros: hour lunch break
Cons: lunch break at end of shift
Fast paced, great managers and co-workers, hardest part of the job was keeping up with the demand on cakes and desserts during holidays and graduations, most enjoyable was my co-workers and working together.
Banquet Cook (Former Employee), Oxford, OHDecember 1, 2014
I loved working at Miami. I did not like the union because being a military wife I never had the time in one place. I like a company that promotes on ability not how long you've been there.The management was good to work with . The energy level is fast paced .
Compensation on par with area
Technician (Current Employee), Oxford, OHNovember 29, 2014
Opportunities are decent. Not as many available as in past.
Student oriented, energetic, environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Oxford, OHNovember 14, 2014
Fun place to work that trained me with administrative assistant skills.
Good environment to work
Research Assisstant (Former Employee), Oxford, OHNovember 9, 2014
It is a good place to study and work. I stayed here for 2 years as a graduate student in Chemical Engineering. I learn a lot of techniques like solar cell fabrications and other characterization methods.
Not a career for non-salary employees
PFD Custodial (Former Employee), Oxford, OHOctober 19, 2014
Pros: tuition waiver (if you have anyone to take advantage of it)
Cons: poverty level pay, no job advancement, poor management, nepotism, hr, lack of pay raises
This is not the same Miami of the past. After budget cutbacks, there is no such thing as job security. The bean counters manage the budget like a for-profit business. In the private sector, that's common sense. However, this is still a state funded institution as much as they try to manage like a private school. One person is now expected to do the job of 4. Corners are being cut and it shows.There are no incentives to do exceptional work because there are no rewards, just an expectation to do more work. The "new" Miami does not plan for you to stay there for 30 years, nor does it want you to for that matter.

Wages are poverty level. A person cannot survive on the entry level wage with most positions. Benefits are being taken away little by little. Health insurance was a benefit that used to be 100% on Miami. Newer employees who haven't been grandfathered in pay for insurance now. As far as advancement, there is no such thing. Nepotism runs rampant. Miami is too top heavy with managers and more managers.

This is not the place to go if you are looking for hourly pay. As far as salaried position, that's a different story.
Amazing place to work
Manager, Team Building & Leadership Programming (Former Employee), Oxford, OHSeptember 25, 2014
Staff and students are wonderful to work with. Their commitment to undergraduate teaching and leadership is awe inspiring
Laundry
Custodian (Former Employee), Oxford, OHSeptember 8, 2014
I did laundry and cleaned buildings all day. The Management was not very organized. Did not get offered health insurance. Did not learn much about a big company and how they do things. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers.
Very good place for students and staff
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Oxford, OHAugust 26, 2014
very good supervisor, and very good environment.
pay is good.
Miami University
Director of Football Video Operations (Former Employee), Oxford, OHAugust 5, 2014
Great City to live in if you are starting a family, bad for anyone under 30, short drive to Cincinnati, great benefits and retirement
Grateful for my years at Miami
Presently retired (Former Employee), Oxford, OHJuly 30, 2014
Pros: job advances
Cons: not being able to a day shift
I have to say Miami University has been good to me. I took advantage of every training and educational benefit that was available to me for job advancement. I had to work off shifts from my husband sometimes, because of childcare, but it has all worked out for me and family.

The hardest part of my job was trying to deal with co- workers that didn't feel the same as me.
Leadership Opportunities
Secretary for Alumni Affairs (Former Employee), Oxford, OHJuly 28, 2014
This job enables students to assume leadership roles and help develop a culture of giving back
Working at Hydrations
FOOD SERVICE ATTENDANT (Former Employee), Oxford, OHJuly 8, 2014
Pros: a fun and productive place to work.
Cons: not enough hours and no benefits.
I learned how to make smoothies and milkshakes, assist customers, sanitize dishes, keep a healthy work environment, and stock food. The managers were kind and supportive people. The co-workers were friendly as well. The most challenging part of the job was using the cash registers for it was different than the ones in retail. The most enjoyable part of the job was making smoothies.
PFD
pfd (Former Employee), OxfordJune 10, 2014
Pros: it is just enough of a job to keep you living another week if you don't mind the daily beat down
Cons: management, pay, no advancement, hr department, parking, being treated like..well nothing like you have treated before
Really bad management. No going up the ladder unless you are family. This was a great place to work but now it is bottom tier. I left a couple of months ago because of this. Did I mention bad management! I would guess that over half the employees have more years, more skilled training and higher education (some with degrees from Miami) than their managers. Don't do it. Don't bother putting in for a job. They already hired someone before they even post. They just post it to look good. 99.9% of time. Oh did I mention they hire family and family friends 99.9% of the time.
Engaging and supportive environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Oxford, OHJune 4, 2014
I have loved working at Miami for the past two years. The people are wonderful, and the work environment is very friendly. As a Master's student here, I would say though that the school is more geared towards undergraduates. One of the biggest perks of being a Graduate Assistant was the "Faculty" parking pass which gave me access to almost any parking lot.
Began classes at Miami
Student (Former Employee), Oxford, OHMay 27, 2014
Returned to school to pursue a degree in Early Childhood Education

1 2 3 4

About Miami University

Not that Miami, the other one. Named for the Miami Indian Tribe that inhabited the area now known as the Miami Valley Region of – Read more

Miami University Photos