Miami University Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Building and Grounds Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHMay 20, 2017
Building and grounds assistant. Basically a janitor. Management wasn't that great, supervisors picked favorites, and there was barely any job advancements.
Pros
Decent pay. Work on your own. Weekends off.
Cons
Poor management. Picked favorites. No chances of getting promoted.
not a good work place
Regional Campuses Registrar (Former Employee) –  Middletown and Hamilton CampusesMay 13, 2017
Working at Miami is a lifestyle. You must be accessible 24/7. Job security is low.

Communication between different parts of the university when decisions have been made or policies changed is not good. This causes surprises and "fires" that have to be put out constantly.

The IT department cannot address needs due to lack of resources. It ends up addressing the requests of the President and Provost almost exclusively.
Pros
good pay & benefits
Cons
poor working situation
Good work conditions, low pay for management
Assistant Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHApril 23, 2017
This was a good place to work. There were not a lot of opportunities for advancement and pay was not too high for the Food Service Management team. Many good staff members
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Low pay, not many opportunities for advancement
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHApril 7, 2017
Miami is a great place for students to work while they are attending the school, you are limited in the hours that you can work while school is in session.
Best school ever
Undergraduate Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHApril 6, 2017
I love this school. I love working here, I love the people here, I love the sense of community, and I love the culture of working hard while still maintaining fun times.
I greatly enjoyed my time at Miami University
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHMarch 28, 2017
Graduate Assistantship was fair and rewarding. I was thrown into some challenging situations which have helped me advance professionally. I am thankful for this experience.
Great Experience
Graduate/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, OHMarch 21, 2017
Miami provides their graduate students with great opportunities for hands-on learning! They are always willing to help us by providing funding for conferences and research
Simple job while attending college
Inquiry Center Mentor (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHFebruary 1, 2017
The staff was very welcoming and helpful to new workers. Understanding of schedules people kept and worked people into as many time slots as they could to give everyone a change to earn some money.
Pros
Close location
Great people
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHJanuary 12, 2017
The department of engineers who run the campus grounds, energy, and construction projects are a really good group of people ready to offer any and all advice to help grow young interns' knowledge of the real world application side of engineering.

Doug Hammerle is the man and anyone who's worked for him would say the same. Full of good ideas and driven to make Miami a better more efficient place.
Great college job that is surrounded by positive energy and fun.
Event setter and maintenance (Current Employee) –  Oxford, OHJanuary 9, 2017
This job consists of setting up a variety of events (chairs, tables, bars, stages, etc.) such as lectures, conferences, dinners, proms, and other Miami University sponsored events. When not setting up events, we become building maintenance and collect trash, clean restrooms, shampoo carpets, and general cleaning. The management I have could not be any better. My bosses are extremely accommodating and treat their students with respect. They have instilled a laid back environment, which fluctuates depending upon the quality of our work. Working with other students has allowed me to meet new people of a variety of backgrounds. The job forces you to work with others, however almost everyone gets along and has a great time. There is nothing that is too hard about this job. I have been recommended to become a student manager, however, due to my other time commitments I had to decline for the time being.
Pros
Great Bosses who work well with student schedules and personal life events, Treat you as if you're not just a student.
Cons
Students who work all year are not necessarily given bonuses like in other departments.
Productive and fun work place
HAWKS Peer Health Educator Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oxford, OHJanuary 5, 2017
I worked with other students to help create and present programs that promote discussion on various health topics. My boss and co-workers inspire me everyday and they help create a great work environment.
Undergraduate Research Opportunity
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, OHDecember 30, 2016
I reached out to a professor asking to assist him with his research study. I knew he needed diet logs entered into a program and I saw this as great opportunity being that I am a nutrition major.
stocking food
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHDecember 26, 2016
a typical work day was being where i was needed the most either as a cashier or as a food stocker or help in the kitchen. I was always busy because they food would go out soo fast and i barley had a break.
Pros
free food
Cons
i always got burned
great working envronment
Matlab project (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHDecember 23, 2016
the work environment there is productive, faculties are friendly and resourceful. they have strong commitment to education and engineering. thus I love the leadership and environment there.
Tour Guide
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHDecember 23, 2016
Easy and flexible work environment where you become the first point of contact for potential new students. You typically will take 1.5 hour tours and show the students and parents the traditions of Miami while promoting the school.
Great
Employee Benefits & Wellness Intern (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHDecember 21, 2016
This is an amazing institution. They teach many real life skills that I have used in my career. Nothing has better prepared me for the work force better than Miami University has.
Statistics Instructor
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oxford, OHNovember 25, 2016
Currently teaching a flipped style large lecture hybrid class with a lab portion. The opportunity to work with a team dedicated to teaching and implementing pedagogy methods in the classroom have helped increase my ability in the classroom greatly. This is a very good team to work with.
Pros
Great instructors and leaders
Cons
low pay
great job
Building and Grounds Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHNovember 4, 2016
great environment, great incentives, insurance, fun, school tution was paid for, great work/life balance, always room for advancement,
Flexible Student job involving assisting in class and working in a Greenhouse
TA/Student Aid/Greenhouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, OHOctober 4, 2016
Worked normally 20 hours a week, most of the work was self-motivated and you were expected to find and set your own goals and achieve them. Supervisor/professor was very helpful in showing how to run and work with plants and what a typical work day should work like
Excellent
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OH 45011August 25, 2016
I loved my team. We always felt as a unit. My employers were very helpful as well as had effective criticism. Only downfall was only able to work 22 hours a week while being a student worker.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Miami University. Our community is ready to answer.