Michael Baker Corporation Employee Reviews

Transition to New Ownership Creates Significant Business Issues
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2014
As a publicly traded company, Michael Baker had a stable business model with no debt, a good cash position and a nice work environment. Pay was decent and the benefits were leading edge. There was still a bit of paternalism and your satisfaction was dependent on your immediate work team and location. The company was recently purchased by a private equity firm that loaded it with significant debt. They have started to make changes that are being viewed negatively by many of the professionals left in the organization. The new owners got rid of some pretty good senior leaders (though some probably needed to go) and are now starting to lay off lower level employees. Tough times appear to be ahead. Benefits will probably have to be cut and more layoffs should be expected. They will probably have to sell some aspects of the business to meet their profit targets.
Pros
The People You Worked With
Cons
New Owners
Great and fun place to work
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PANovember 16, 2013
a typical day at work consisted for performing routine financial work that needed to be done everyday. I learned valuable knowledge about financial operations, as well as using Oracle. Management was great. They really worked with us well to ensure that the department was ran smoothly. My co-workers were great, and we all worked great together. There was no single hard part about the job, and the most enjoyable part about the job was learning valuable information that can help me in my professional career in the future.
Pros
Flex Scheduling, Cafeteria, good pay
Cons
None, I enjoyed everything about the job.
Highly Professional and Challenging Environment
QUALITY CONTROL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 2, 2015
Michael Baker is a highly professional and challenging environment that recognizes and fosters excellence in their employees. Baker has extensive training that provides precision in both the direction they provide for your career development and clear expectation of what they need from you.

Baker is fertile ground for self motivated people wanting to excel in their career and their lives.

Your time with Baker will be rewarding. I can say with confidence that you will leave Baker a greater professional with more skills than when you started with them.

I highly recommend Baker!
Amazing
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 29, 2013
In the summer of 2012 I was given an opportunity to work for Michael Baker Corporation in North Charleston, SC. Here I gained practical experience assisting on the completion of Bees Ferry Rd Street Widening. Prepared acceptable field notes to verify vertical elevations of drainage structures. Prepared density compaction percentage reports to ensure specification compliance.
Shadowed a senior project manager to observe the inclusion of suggested construction language, quantities and final submittal.
I Attended Charleston County monthly program meetings and scheduled constructions. I learn the value of integrity and how to conduct yourself in a professional manner. As Intern who relocated to a new city the co-workers gave me a great support system to use, and made me feel comfortable in the work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to work was engaging in new things every day. This company was a foundation in my professional career, and I'm grateful for the opportunity.
Pros
Gained practical experience
No Job security
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 20, 2014
Work environment okay if you are part of the click. Very young office. Job security is not there. Constant revolving door with no reason for the coming and going of employees. Will layoff with no reason. Forget getting a severance package also.
Pros
Decent office, decent pay
Cons
Job security, company being bought-out has senior people running scared
Right resouces in place, potential to be much better.
Professional Staff (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDMarch 18, 2013
Interesting and challenging work projects. Tight lipped management in my local office. Not much word on direction for future or ininiative to bring in new work, turned away potential work I could have brought in.
Pros
physical office and location, good compters tools. discounted company stock. fair pay.
Cons
employee moral, lack of direction communication and leadership
Pretty hectic, staff vey helpful though
Map Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 18, 2013
My normal day at MBC would consist of answering phone calls and helping customers determine whether or not their home/property was in a Flood Zone or not. To determine this, I analyzed flood zone maps from the Map Service Center website and, along with other information like address, deed of property, etc, I could determine whether or not the specific home was in the high risk flood zone or not.
Busy and hard-working company
Civil Associate I (Current Employee) –  VADecember 3, 2013
I do a lot of work similar to what a CAD Tech does, plus a little more. About 90% of my work is in on the computer. The employees are nice and have a great sense of humor. It's a good position to help get you on your feet when you're new to the field.
Pros
Good location, nice coworkers
Cons
Lack of interest for social activities and company events, time off
Good people
Manager, Communications (Former Employee) –  Moon Township, PASeptember 28, 2012
Working at Baker taught me how to work in a business-to-business environment. I respected and enjoyed all of my co-workers.
Great Company
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 7, 2014
Awesome place to work. Everyone is really hardworking and diligent.

Want to know more about Michael Baker Corporation?

Ask a question