Michaels Employee Reviews

Typical Day at Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNDecember 17, 2017
I worked at the cash register, and I would stock shelves, work directly with other employees. I really enjoyed interacting and helping the customers find what they needed.
Fun place to work with great staff
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYDecember 17, 2017
Having never worked retail everything was new and foreign. Most of the staff is very supportive and encouraging. Hardest part of the job is the not knowing simple things like the frequently used terminology and common jargon of the retail world.
Pros
wonderful supportive staff
Cons
inconsistenet information, and expectations
Easy minimum wage job
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 16, 2017
Good company and they don't expect a lot. pay is normal for this job type. good company always interesting people working there. you will ending up spending your whole check there.
productive at times but unorganized mostly
Certified Framer/ replenishment team member (Current Employee) –  Reston, VADecember 16, 2017
Typical day at work is usually ok but unorganized, there is no real unity or team work. Benefits aren't provided as should be. There seems to always be some sort of personal differences between management which stimulates a constant lack of unity and team work.
Pros
with proper management Michaels could be a great career opportunity.
Cons
no health care or benefits for part time but with 40 hours plus
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MADecember 14, 2017
When I first started here the atmosphere was great but once management changed the place completely went downhill. Horrible management and district manager doesn’t care, treated like robots, s**ual harassment never addressed by management and swept under the rug, promised hours but barely got any, threatened to be fired for calling out sick, would never recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
The discount sometimes
Enjoyable, well-paced work environment
Seasonal Replenishment/Staging Associate (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VADecember 14, 2017
Michaels is a great place to work, especially if you enjoy making things. The staff is pretty nice, also. Everyone works together well. They offer a great discount that can be combined with sales also. There is some lifting and a lot of standing on your feet, but it's well paced and time flies by because you are always in productivity-mode.
Productive, fast pace, and fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 14, 2017
Always ways to learn new things and be trained in different departments! Great environment! Friendly staff! Everyone is willing to help you if you have a question you are not trained on or just forgot!
Hate I left
TECHNICAL SUPPORT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 14, 2017
My team was awesome and had each other's back. Very laid back environment that I really enjoyed working at. Because I was on contract, I decided to leave to pursue my career.
Lots of hours
DISTRIBUTION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  New Lenox, ILDecember 14, 2017
Never ending 11 hour days and a lot of 6 day work weeks. Poor work-life balance for majority of the year. Associates learn the loopholes and can really get a way with a lot
Pros
Job security
Cons
Hours
Fun and productive environment to work
Knitting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHDecember 14, 2017
I enjoyed working there. It was an exciting experience to have a job where we worked but had fun as well. I would like to work there again as the knitting instructor. I only worked a couple nights a month and only a few hours at a time but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pros
Community, Positive Environment
Cons
Outdated Equipment, Limited Space to Work
Love the atmosphere
Customer Service & Framing (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 13, 2017
Michaels is a great store especially if you're a crafter/ designer like myself. Working in that environment is addictive. I loved being able to connect with my customers and helping them with any problems or needs they had during their shopping experience. I really liked the ability to move up in the company. Before leaving I had moved into the framing department and had I not choose to leave I would have aimed to become a manager within a year's time.
Pros
Atmosphere, Customers
Cons
Sales Associates lack of enthusiasm, Inconsistent managers.
Michaels
Associate/ stock/ merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Everett, MADecember 13, 2017
A great work environment for young people and old people. There was always a mix of different aged employees. This job was enjoyable and steadily paced.
Great Part-Time Job
Sales/Jewelry Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MODecember 13, 2017
Loved working here part-time when I was a stay at home Mom. Scheduling is flexible and you can get as many hours as you want. Managers were great to work with. It was a fun job. Learned a lot about handling customers in a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Flexible scheduliing
Cons
Often short staffed
Competitive and cutthroat
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYDecember 12, 2017
Did not enjoy working at this company. Although it was part time, i went through 3 different managers over two months. The night staff was nicer than the day staff.
Pros
Saved money on commuting to work
Cons
No benefits for part time employees
Good job for teenagers and young adults
Michaels Art Store (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 12, 2017
This job is a good job for teenagers and young adults in school. The cool thing about working at Michael is that an artist enthusiast working there is surrounded with art supplies.
Pros
discounts
Cons
stressful
Customer experience manager
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYDecember 11, 2017
Never got a chance to be an assistant manager. Would have wanted to show my worth to the company. They have an training program for hourly mangers but the program has little follow so in reality it’s just a farce.
Pros
Benefits and discounts
Cons
Lack of advancement
Fast paced yet fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALDecember 11, 2017
Working at Michael's was a very enjoyable and fun place to work. I learned how to deal with the seasons changing and people changing as well. Even though management was hard to deal with sometimes, I looked forward to going to work.
Pros
Happy seasonal customers
Cons
Working on holidays
Laid Back
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLDecember 11, 2017
I worked the part time evening shifts mostly. Restocked shelves, Cleaned assigned areas & ran registers when needed. Assisted Customers with their Hobby/Craft needs.
Pros
Great 1st job opportunity
Cons
Not a Life Career choice I would choose
not a lot of hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PADecember 11, 2017
this job is very rewarding if you enjoy arts and crafts and children but you wont be getting many hours and there is absolutely no consistiency in this posigtion.
Very stressful and sometimes unorganized
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CADecember 11, 2017
My job was very basic, unload the daily shipment and put it on the shelves. A lot of the time we were backed up on overstock from items that didn't sell well. That lead to confusion and frustration .
Pros
Friendly Emplayees
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, poorly run store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9