Michaels Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,380 reviews matching the search
Outstanding management and an amazing experience overall
Cashier and Floor Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 23, 2016
Management was the best I have ever experienced out of every job I've had thus far in my life. My co-workers were more than just people I worked with, they genuinely cared about each others well being and were team players.
Fun place to work. It's like Christmas all year long
Replenishment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 23, 2016
As a replenishment specialist, the hours were early, and the work was physically challenging, but over all, everyone was great to work with. The work itself is fun, and if you like arts and crafts, its like Christmas all year long.
Pros
Fun place to work, great products
Cons
Early hours, hard work
Michaels
Presort Operator/Material Handler/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJuly 23, 2016
The company itself is a good company. The distribution center in Hazleton has a lot of turnover and is not one of the highest paying DC's in the park.
The store I work at is by far the best!
Customer Service Manager PT (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 22, 2016
Mixed feelings about the company and their priorities. The team I work with and management I have worked under is amazing and they are the reason I work hard and why I've stayed so long.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Big corporations are difficult from a part time worker perspective
customer service culture
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTJuly 21, 2016
The culture at Michaels is customer based, we make our customers our priority, we deliver prompt friendly service. All of my co-workers are friendly and courteous to each other and the customer. Management within the store works with employees schedules. The hardest part of the job for managers is only getting one weekend off a month as per corporate guidelines.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
no healthcare for part time, work load is larger than scheduled employees to finish by deadlines
Fun workplace
Stocker (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 21, 2016
Working at Michaels helped me realize I enjoy customer interaction. Although; I was a stocker who worked from 3am to 8:30, I still enjoyed my job. I'd have to give credit mainly to the other employees. They were well rounded, didn't get offended easily and were very approachable.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Great employees and wonderful management. Enjoyable place to work.
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 20, 2016
Working here has been such a pleasure. I haven't ever worked with such a hard working supportive team of people!

A typical day involves lots of store cleaning and merchandising, things are always moving and changing around the store to make room for new things, then once the store opens it shifts to all customer service all day. Along with the customer service you are kept busy with keeping the store tidy and store projects.
With my time here I've learned to be better with time management, and merchandising skills.

Management is some of the best people you could work for, understanding with work and life, always willing to teach and very open with how things are done and how things work inter and intra store.

Co-workers are tip top too, everyone pulls their weight and completes their work tasks as required. Also being super helpful when it comes to other co-workers needing assistance.
Hardest part would probably have to be knowing where everything is, especially when merchandise moves on the daily.
Most enjoyable is would have to be all the people interactions and helping people find things and solutions they need!
Pros
Fun working enviroment, employee discount
Nice people
CUSTOM FRAMING EXPERT / ARTS & CRAFTS (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 20, 2016
The people are kind, the job is fun (framing) but if you arrived late to the team you'll get the worst job turns, most weekends and during the week the late turns.

I learned costumer service, which leads me to the hardest part of the job: hard costumers trying to get money from the store.

Overall is a fun job where you can get some peace of mind while framing the production orders.

The framing department is a great place for your first job.
Pros
not so crowded, you tend to see cool art, crafty place.
Cons
really low compensation, bad turns.
Great company to work for with plenty of opportunity for advancement
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 19, 2016
I started as a cashier and within a year I was given an opportunity to be a Support Specialist. If you're looking for a job that can lead into a career, Michaels is a great company to do so.
Productive workplace with excellent co-workers and management.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJuly 19, 2016
Working at Michael's was definitely a learning experience. Not only was it my first job, but it was where I learned patience, understanding, and how to work hard. A typical day at work included working with customers to help find exactly what they were looking for and giving them a wonderful experience to make sure they wanted to come back. It also included working on the cash registers and making sure the store's appearance was neat and organized in every department. The managers and co-workers were amazing and very helpful, and I gained friendships there that I will cherish forever. The hardest part of the job was, on occasion, being the only worker on the floor with many customers who needed assistance at the same time. However, the most enjoyable part was the rewarding feeling of accomplishment every time I successfully helped a customer and being around co-workers that treat you like family.
Productive and Fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 18, 2016
During the peak season at Michels ( Christmas) things are usually ran very smoothly at the register’s. The sales are amazing and the manager’s are very well organized. They take pride in making sure the employees are happy which make this place a very exciting place to work at
Pros
Breaks are giving even during very short shifts
Cons
Hours are cut short when sales are low
Creative culture and community
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAJuly 18, 2016
I enjoyed helping people be creative and each day provided unique challenges, but to get to that level of understanding, I had to buy a lot of products, test things myself in my own time, or learn from another source that wasn't being provided by management.
productive fun fast paste busy work place
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAJuly 17, 2016
a typical day at work was working with over 100 people helping them find what they need for fun projects. I learned to work with so many people I also learned how to open my mind into crafts. Management & my co-workers were great people to work with always so positive & had great vibes. the hardest part of the job was learning were everything went on the sales floor only because I was there during the holidays & the store was so big it had over 100 aisles & things were placed differently every week. the most enjoyable part of the job would have to be working with so many creative people & learning new techniques to doing certain things.
Pros
discounts
Cons
n/a
Great place to work, low stress
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westerly, RIJuly 15, 2016
Micheals was great. I would have stayed there if it weren't for it only being part time. The managers are helpful and always present. It was easy to learn the layout of the store and I found myself learning to craft.
Pros
good environment, nice people, low stress
Cons
low pay, part time only
Exciting and creative workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 14, 2016
Help customers find art and craft products. I handled cash and kept the area clean and neat. Answered phones and dealt with problems. I loved learning about different art materials and the creative things you can do with those products. The hardest part of the day was cleaning up because the store was extremely big.
Pros
Good management, nice co-workers
Cons
Really big store, long clean up
fast pace work
Picking and Packing (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJuly 14, 2016
You have to walk in with the mind set of waling 10 miles a day . I learned that working fast can make you do some mistakes . Co-workers ready to work . The hardest part was trying to keep up without making mistake . The most enjoyble part was picking at a fast pace .
Pros
3 brakes of 20 ins
Cons
not many hours
I Was Still In High School While Working For Michaels
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJuly 14, 2016
I Learned a Great Deal Of Customer Service Here. It Also Was My First Job Being A Cashier. Michaels Has A Good Workplace Environment.
Pros
Cool Inside the Store Always. Met a Lot A Fun Spirited People While Working For this Craft Store.
Cons
It Was Only A Seasonal Job.
It's a fun place to work, but...
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLJuly 13, 2016
To be honest, a typical day for me over there is somewhat fast. But we have some good characters there that make day...special?
I actually have learned a bunch, from queue to crafting and framing.

Some of our co-workers aren't that really great or anything. Some of them are very honest and respectful, others aren't. Which really doesn't create a family friendly business place.

There really isn't such a hard task other trying to do everything within a certain amount of time, especially for those who only work like three hours a day with a bunch of things to do.
Pros
I have discount to my favorite arts and crafts materials, especially architectural products
Cons
How people express themselves.
It was awesome in the beginning
Presentation Replenishment Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 12, 2016
I started out with the company right after I graduated. I loved it. I started as part time and ended my career there 11 years later as the replenishment manager. Poor management there. When you needed help your store manager wasn't there to help nor was the dm. But they expected the workload to get done. I could never take a break cause there was always so much to do. With corporate changing how stuff is done every other minute I saw it as them hurting the company. No payroll and no people to help. They would hire managers who shouldn't be a store manager and fire store managers who were amazing for the company. It's sad how bad the company got in just a few years. I would never go back to that company if it was my last resort.
Retail
Custom Framing Associate (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 12, 2016
You are expected to drop everything in your life, and be on call. as though this craft store is the most important thing in the country. No advancement, no benefits, (except for management) Repeated Turnaround shifts, sometimes doubles. but never full time.
Pros
some small discounts
Cons
Horrible hours, unprofessional management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9