Michaels Employee Reviews

Found 2,851 reviews matching the search
Great until you're a manager, then expect no life.
Ops/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNNovember 7, 2016
Because it's not a larger retailer, there is the smallest staff possible and usually only 3 or 4 people work each shift. It makes for hectic scenarios that while I feel have improved my abilities, make it hard to work unless you are accustomed to multitasking across the entire store in all departments. While not a manager there were no complaints but after reaching that point, the other managers and I were regularly working 40-60 hour weeks just to keep up with the workload.
Pros
Great discount, fun environment, mostly good customers when coupons aren't involved, decent pay for a starting position
Cons
Management is paid very little, expected to work endless hours, once reaching full-time there is very limited advancement opportunities, very small raises each evaluation even if you exceed all expectations
Exemplary employer that promotes from within and sustains a learning work environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CADecember 3, 2016
I had the opportunity to work for Michaels Arts and Crafts Store in Hanford as a part-time seasonal associate in 2009 and because of their mentorship and ability to grow associates I became the Store Manager. I had the privilege of working with some great mentors and regional managers that guided me to becoming successful in this organization. I ended my employment with them because I was having a complicated pregnancy and needed a slower paced working environment and they were very understanding. This organization offers good products to their customers and stresses customer experience to be at the top of their priorities along with developing their employees.
Pros
Great management, benefits, and opportunities to grow
Cons
At times, poor coordination with logistics related inventory issues
Micheals what can I say
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 23, 2016
I worked there for a bit and honestly the job in replenishment wasn't hard or that bad except the ladders they had u climb alone with large canvas were never braced, and they only paid minimum to you to work at hours that meant never being awake for family and they expected you to put out so much stock a second they might as well have machines do it it wasn't possible with how items were packaged. For min wage I personally had to quit cause they wouldn't give me hours and/or enough to live off of then made me work so much I barely had time to do any living anyways
Pros
Easy job, good exercise, fun if you enjoy organization, 30% off discount
Cons
Low wages, raises don't come for years
Fun workplace with good management and great coworkers!
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, CO 80126January 19, 2017
Worked along side a great crew learning new and exciting crafts.

Management varied depending on whom was the store manager at the time.

My coworkers where the best we could always get the challenging task done and still go home early.

Training is lacking in this company. There have been many instances I have been ill-informed and had to come up with other solutions for sometimes major issues.

But overall a good company to work for a retail position, good benefits, great co-workers, and flexible hours.
Pros
Good discounts on art supplies
Cons
Poor training
All you could ask of an art store
Cashier/ Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IA 50021November 22, 2016
It's renowned for it's sales and huge selection of crafting supplies, this is both it's best and most trying feature. The management encourages a team mentality, but still tries to boost the individuality of each employee. the co-workers are wonderful, good people but due to the hardest part of the job end up a tad dry at the end of the day. the hardest part being customer satisfaction. due to the large sales and coupons (with specifications on them) sometimes a customer will overlook a detail on a sale or coupon and become upset due to it not being as they first thought. consoling the customer is a high priority as we never want a customer to leave the store feeling as though it was a bad experience. there are never few, so a full and busy day can be trying but in the end rewarding. there is a lot of product that makes the job rewarding, you can receive an employee discount towards purchases so big plus!
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Schedule flexibility, lack of benefits
Terrible retailer to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 3, 2016
This was by far the worst retailer I ever worked for. The management expectations are ridiculous. You have no work life balance at all. They push all the work and responsibilities on the all the lower management while the sm has no responsibilities. They treat employees like slaves sometimes not even allowing them to take a break. The dm. Only goes by the lies that the sm feeds them. Expects you to stay past your scheduled shift everyday. No compensation for working extra hours .have to make up a reason to leave when one is scheduled too.
Cons
I was happy with my work but not management.
Bookkeeper/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 14, 2016
Was promised a review with raise at the end of probationary year.
When the day came for my review my manager did not come up to the office all day. When it was almost time for me to leave for the day I went looking for her, and asked If we were going to meet for my review. She said, rather grumpily, "I guess, but you're not getting a raise, there's no money." I went up to the office for my purse and coat, left and never went back.
Pros
I enjoyed the work.
Cons
Promises were not fulfilled. Business not managed well.
Late stock duty is more difficult than you may expect.
Greet, and assist customers (Former Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYDecember 27, 2016
Long hours and low compensation. I would recommend it only if you absolutely NEED, work. You work overnight once a week to offload a truck and populate the shelves. When you're hired make sure to find out if it is a seasonal position as they may forget to tell you initially.
Pros
The art supplies are great to learn cost and what your options are, for artists.
Cons
Low compensation for a physically demanding job.
A great place to be temporarily
Nights and Weekends Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 27, 2017
While the people were amazing to work with, advancing within the company was limited. I saw some great people passed up for management, and some people who had half the work ethic move up. The company goes through management and employees at a high rate. It is a great place to be temporarily, especially if you are trying to earn a secondary education at a university or technical school.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low benefits
Its okay
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 11, 2017
So i love the coworkers that i am with on a daily basis. However the hours are INCREDIBLY inconsistent. You will work 16 hours one week and 10 the next then 36 at christmas/holidays. They only hire part time unless you are management so there are no benefits and when you try to call in sick they make you feel terrible for doing so.
Pros
Some managers are nice, customers are fun and bring new ideas
Cons
No benefits, no sick time, horrible hours
Never would I think I would hate a job this much
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 19, 2016
Management is poor, DM is just given lies from SM, my benefits? I get an employee discount. Constantly people call off and you're expected to stay late or take their shift and when you can't management Gives you an attitude. NEVER have I once received a day off I requested MONTHS in advanced. I highly recommend find someone else to work because free cookies in the break room isn't worth it.
Pros
Cannot think of one thing?
Worst place I have worked
Sales floor Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 7, 2016
I was never trained on the electronic device to scan items. I didn't know you could find out if another store had an item until I had been working there four years.First manager told me I didn't get health benefits and one day before the deadline I found out I did. I have gone through four managers and each one treated me as if I were a five year old, yelling at and reprimanding me. I don't get enough hours to pay my bills, much less my mortgage. They want you to push emails which slows down the line and input the customers information then. The company does not care about it's employees, if they did they would treat them better.
Pros
Neat stuff to buy.
Cons
Lack of hours per worker, pushing emails.
Just A Job, Not A Career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCAugust 2, 2016
There is a very high turnover rate. Mixed signals from management and corporate on what the correct guidelines are. No real room for growth. Favoritism for scheduling and promotions. Management writes up employees to save themselves from corporate. Watched them build information against employees to scare them from suing when they let them go. Constant call outs from teenagers who have no work ethic leave the schedule always changing. Lots of lies from upper management on paychecks, raises, etc. I would only recommend this as a source of secondary income or a temporary job while in school or transitioning between career options. Not as bad as some jobs, but definitely not a place to start a career.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Schedule, Growth, Paycheck
A Typical day at Michaels
Sales (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LASeptember 19, 2016
I am only a part time employee at Michael"s Arts and Crafts. However, when I do go to work,I am a dedicated hard working individual that believes in doing the best job possible. I believe in getting things right the first time. I really enjoy working at Michael's and I have learned a lot of important aspects about retail sales. I work extremely well with my coworkers and I do not get involved with gossip. The hardest part of my job is climbing ladders. I do not like heights. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with the customers. I have an outgoing personality and very I know a lot about the products we sell.
Pros
Working with Customers
Cons
Very low pay with no benefits
Creative, Artistic and Fun work environment.
Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 3, 2016
I enjoy working at Michaels because the environment allows for creativity and artistic freedom. The people I work with are down to earth and easy to get along with. The job is enjoyable however the pay is insufficient.
Pros
Free breaks, good management, good benefits good overall working environment
Cons
long hours and poor pay.
I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy
Senior Certified Custom Framing Expert (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 14, 2016
Corp could care less. Never enough cleaning supplies but you're expected to make due. 10 cent raises every year if you're lucky. You get written up if people don't want to give you their email. Management is lazy and just doesn't care. No room to move up in the company.
Fun workplace, good people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 31, 2017
All of the people are great, i really enjoyed working with everyone such as the floral designer and the framing people. The only thing i didnt like was the pay rate. They train you in different areas of the store and the more you learn the more i feel like your pay should go up especially if you do a good job at what they are training you in.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No full time positions available
Overall Wonderful People Just Horrible Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJFebruary 13, 2017
People who work there are awesome people. I enjoyed working with them. The Manager was just horrible. She was not comprehensive at all if you tried to explain things to her. She did not want to hear whatever you had to say. Benefits are not all as pictured. If they change the Manager, that would be helpful.
Pros
Awesome Collegues
Cons
Horrible Manager
Endless learning opportunity.
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAJuly 26, 2016
Every company, especially in retail, has its displeasing coworkers, customers, and practices. With this in mind: Overall, Michaels has decent benefits for part-time employees, chances for advancement, and work incentives.

Most days can seem a little "crazy" or seem to have a task list that rarely can be completed as customers and ever changing trends challenge the knowledge and skills of employees each day. Although this may seem overwhelming to some, this fast paced environment allows for opportunities to expand ones knowledge and to sharpen ones public relations skills.

The most enjoyable part of this job is working with the public; although not all customers possess a personable disposition and certain circumstances may magnify this, many times I find my customer interactions to be pleasant. The key to increasing the frequency of this though is to keep a working knowledge of as many products use, location, and customer preference as possible.
As a temporary employer, Michaels is for the most part an enjoyable place to work.
Cashier, Craft Instructor (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 10, 2016
For a retail business, Michaels is a lot like other retail places I have worked. I truly enjoy when I can find a way to help a customer bring their creative ideas to life. Unfortunately the few difficult customers are the ones who tend to stand out. The management tries hard to accommodate the employees. Several co-workers are on the young side and don't understand the concept of being dependable.
Pros
Decent employee discount
Cons
Mainly employs part-time so no benefits are available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9