Michaels

Michaels Employee Reviews

Customer Associate (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MOJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedule
Cons: Slow season
The staff here is great, fun, easy going. Everyone works as a team to get the job done. Management is great and really works with you on your work schedule.
Great Co-Workers but terrible work environment
Creative (Former Employee), Irving TXJuly 26, 2015
Pros: good pay, typical holidays and early release days before holidays. Decent vacation and sick time policy.
Cons: poor management, bullying, no work/life balance, not honest about job responsibilities up front
What I did like about my experience at Michaels was my wonderful co-workers, the fairly good pay and typical holidays and early release days before holidays. Decent vacation and sick time policy.

Why – more... I didn't stay -- The job I was expected to do was NOT the job I interviewed for. They were not honest about my actual job responsibilities during the interview process. Poor management and lots of micromanaging -- they didn't trust their people to do their jobs. Any new ideas from the team were not appreciate or considered. Some team members would not do their job yet not get reprimanded for it while others had to do the work of 2-3 people. Workload management and work/life balance is a joke. Upper management expectations are unattainably high. Bullying is an accepted form of management. – less
Long hours with unreasonable goals
Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaJuly 22, 2015
Pros: HR, Benefits, Safety lunches
Cons: Hours, Pay, Work/Life balance, Job Security/Advancement
If you are an associate of Michaels, I could see how it could be a great job. You come to work, do your thing and go home. Overtime will happen at certain times of the year, but you are taken care of. – more... Monthly safety lunches, awards, other special recognition is great! If you are a manager? Not so much. Working 70+ hours a week, especially as a salaried employee (and NOT a salary that is competitive with other companies) is not fun. Expectations are unrealistic, upper management has driven all middle management into the ground and threatens with writing people up constantly.
There is no loyalty and no teamwork between departments, everyone is out for themselves, to avoid being written up. The turnover at this location is ridiculous, no middle management is there more than a couple of years (in a matter of 6 months, 6 people left or got fired). Upper management stabs each other in the back trying to one up each other.
HR is FANTASTIC at what they do. They make it a point to take care of all the associates and go out of their way to help them.
Overall, if you like working long hours without decent pay, unrealistic expectations and threats to constantly lose your job, then go ahead and apply. – less
Working at Michaels
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Sebring, FLJuly 22, 2015
A typical day at work could entail building grids for merchandise, supervising cashiers, handling customer complaints, etc.
What I learned
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), louisville, kyJuly 22, 2015
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: not enough hours
I learned that there are companies out there that can provide you with a schedule to work around your family's schedule. As a single parent it's not easy.
Great work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 17, 2015
The upper management is excellent, with little complication between staff. The best part about the job is the staff itself. We all work within a familial atmosphere that still knows how to get work done.
Mickaels
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Great Falls, MTJuly 15, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: none
This is a great place to work especially the people that work there...A typical day is when I walk through the doors with a smile on my face and helping customers find what they are looking for such as a drawing pad to crayons and projects that do to show others how it is done. My co-workers are awesome and really good to work with. There most enjoyable is the customers that walk through the door.
Very creative atmosphere, good management, very enjoyable work environment
Replenishment Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Madison Heights, MIJuly 15, 2015
Pros: 30% discount!
Duties include:Checking out customers, cleaning, stocking, unloading truck, setting new planograms, assisting customers in the store.
Good For Part Time.
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Discout card, friendly employees.
Cons: Short breaks, no benefits for part time, low hourly wage, unpredictable schedules.
Michaels is a great company to work for. But the pay and unpredictable hours are more for a summer position or High School student who has a flexible schedule. The pay in minimum wage, which works during the summer. But the paycheck you take home in the Holiday season is not worth the strenuous hours and exhausting work.
Did not work there long enough to form an opinion.
Associate temporary for holiday (Former Employee), Emeryville, CAJuly 12, 2015
Pros: fun store
Cons: schedule was not family friendly
Did not work there long enough to form an opinion. The hours scheduled did not fit my needs and the hours were not beneficial for a single mother.
Creative place to work
Store Support (Current Employee), Irving, TXJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Cool products
Cons: Systems
Each day is different which makes it exciting. Teams have great people on them. Systems and processes are challenging.
Good work enviornment, minimum wage
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Downers Grove, ILJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Flexible, usually easy-going
Cons: Customers, wage
I am pulled to do a lot of different jobs around the store so my work day may consist of simply cashiering or be as complicated as resetting an aisle for new products and resetting item counts in our system. – more... Often my job requires me to answer in-depth questions from customers about our products or projects that they are working on. Most of the coworkers and management are pleasant to work with as long as you are doing your job. Management has been very flexible with me and works with me to accommodate the film work I do. The most frustrating thing about the job is being understaffed or dealing with problem customers. We are often forced into having a skeleton crew in the summer months and it can make the job harder than it needs to be. The nice part about the job is that, in general, it is a nice place to work. There usually isn't a lot of drama and work expectations are not so sky-high that you can't reach them. – less
Fun and fast-paced atmosphere.
Full-Time Framer (Current Employee), San LeandroJuly 7, 2015
I like working for this company because every day I am able to learn new things and meet new people. As a framer I am also exposed to different kinds of artwork.
Fun
Store Associate (Former Employee), owings mills MDJuly 6, 2015
I loved work in the floral department . I was able to use my creativity to help customer's choose flowers and pots to create floral arrangements to match there personality and home décor.
Variety in daily assignment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Algonquin, ILJuly 3, 2015
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: location
Enjoyed learning about new crafts being marketed. Friendly co-workers/staff, flexible hours to meet personal needs.
work experience depends on your co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee), FLJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Employee discount is awesome, get to see all the new stuff first, get great crafting ideas, awesome people to work with
Cons: Get to see all the new stuff first, get lots of new craft ideas, rarely bring home all of your check, all positions are PT except management
My co-workers are the best thing about my job. The customers, for the most part, are very decent people with great crafting ideas and genuine questions, although we get the real jerks occasionally. But – more... everything will come down to your management experience - and whether or not you have a good management team. If the store manager is not in the right position, nothing is going to be right - for you, for the other managers, and for the other workers. Unfortunately, this seems to be cropping up more and more frequently in our store, and it is affecting our store and our morale. Michaels is a great place to work, normally. – less
Fun place to work
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Huntington, NYJuly 2, 2015
Great coworkers and friendly environment
Sales experience
Retail experience
Chance for growth
Great perks to job: employee discounts, free classes for employees.
Great place to show creativity
Nice place to be
Custom Framer (Former Employee), N Attleboro, MAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: food, special events and crafts
Cons: limited hours, little advancement
Great place to hone sales skills and learn to design and construct frames. Co-workers friendly and helpful. Customers can be unruly at times, but over-all a good environment.
Good workplace, Bad hours
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Co-Workers makes the job worth it
Cons: Bad management, low hours
The store changed managers every 6 months, It is great for a first job only, break is 15 min. Not a hard job at all if you pay attention and follow directions, most enjoyable part is going home.
Fast pace, fun, yet professional work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Chesterfield, MIJune 30, 2015
Pros: Free lunch, great boss and managers, met new and amazing people
Cons: No official breaks
*Typical day was maintaining clean work area before a rush
*Typical evening: very fast pace
*I learned to always put the customer first
*Hardest part of my job: working in such a small space
*Most enjoyable part: gaining so many new great friends. good relationship with coworkers

1 2 3 4 5

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more

Michaels Salaries