Michaels Employee Reviews

Long hours, no holidays.
Framing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 6, 2016
In general most of the people are great to work with. The store itself has gone downhill ~ inferior cheap items at top dollar. At one time this was a craft supply store, now they are selling home decor, candy and stuffed animals to compete, the craft supplies they sell now are pre-made kits leaving no imagination/creativity. Many of the stores are old and not very clean, when they update they use old shelving/supplies from stores that have closed. Break rooms and bathrooms are filthy. Upper management tends to sit in the office most of the time calling the employees to them rather than walking the floor interacting with customers to meet with the employee. Custom framing department is dishonest and over priced. Check your morals before working for Michaels.
Pros
Employees, benefits
Cons
Corporate, hours, pay
Michaels
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAFebruary 4, 2016
fun and loved the customers
artistic facts
good management
lovely coworkers
Inventory
walking around helping the customers
Pros
lunches, co workers
Cons
cash register and inventory
Very fun, a great environment!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 4, 2016
My job at Michaels has been wonderful! I absolutely love my coworkers, even if they can sometimes be a bit crabby. I'm so happy that my job as a cashier has helped me to get over my social anxiety and because of such, I've become much more outgoing. I can stay cheerful all through the day, and I've even become many customers' favorite cashier thanks to my kindness and sweet demeanor.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, understanding management, good holiday hours, excellent employee discount
Cons
occasional confusing sales signs
Great Place to Work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 4, 2016
Michael's was a great work environment. Management were pleasant to deal with on a daily basis. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers.
What do you expect for a job that picks people up quickly from snag-a-job
Sales associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 3, 2016
They may start you at a decent rate, and you might be okay as a cashier in the beginning however.... You'll likely be brought in during their only steadily busy time, the holidays, and if you stay after New Years you'll notice your hours get cut to a single day a week if your lucky. If they really like you you may get treated nicely. This job sucks, but you can maybe get in around Christmas time, rack up hours and then have something on your resume if you never had a job before.
Cons
They'll be stingy with their breaks, no hours most of the year, too much seasonal merchandise to adjust to, My location needed to renovate and wouldn't, poor heating and cooling. Store wide register failures occurred as I left
Fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 1, 2016
Working is is very fun as it is my favorite craft store. My only complaint is that very often I am scheduled outside of my availability and then I end up losing the only shifts I have received for the week which is extremely frustrating.
Disoganized and Inconsistant
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 1, 2016
A mess truly. The schedule was always changing and we were paid terribly. Many people quit. Full time positions were reduced to part time to save on benefits.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 31, 2016
very fast paced, customers will attack you with questions. managers do talk very rude to you and few associates who actually do they job.
Pros
free food
Cons
rude customers
michaels doesn't care
Replenishment Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2016
they claim they care so much about their associates when infact their associates are just another number. when you're out sick you're penalized, they refuse to turn the air on during the hot months and associates run around trying to help customers covered in sweat. Awful company to work for!
Michaels
Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCJanuary 29, 2016
My overall experience with this company was really that the company is very fair however for seasonal position I was let go the 1st of 2016 after being told of possible part time position but few of the other employees didn't resign when they said they would....
Pros
friendly people
Nice place to work.
Merchandise Stocking Associate (Current Employee) –  Everett, MAJanuary 28, 2016
Nice place to work. Co-workers and management are nice. Nice work environment. Management is flexible to working arrangements.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no cons
Working At Michaels
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Euless, TXJanuary 26, 2016
They work well with your schedule and are willing to be flexible. They also are willing to take time to train you and understand your work pace.
nice people
Stock associate (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTJanuary 26, 2016
good if you like that kind of environment and hard to get on the manager's good side, if you don't you get picked on for small things that are easily fixable.
Pros
15 minute breaks
Cons
uptight managers
It was a good company to work for.
replenishment (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJanuary 25, 2016
My typical day was unloading trucks and setting up the floor for each day, including setting up sales and making sure shelves were fully stocked.
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJanuary 24, 2016
productive and fun workplace with ping pong table and basketball hoop. Michaels promote a safe work culture. Michaels have very good incentive reward programs to show associate appreciation.
amazing loved my time there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 19, 2016
my mangers were able to work with my school schedule which was awesome it was like a family there everyone was so nice welcoming and the manager stood her ground whenever there was a rude customer it was a real team everyone did their jobs assigned to the and once someone was done helped an associate in their area
Pros
amazing work crew
Depends on location
Custom Framer and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHJanuary 19, 2016
The location I work at is fun, staffed well, and has a flexible, understanding management team. I can't speak for other locations.
Fun
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2016
I worked there for almost 5 months and I loved t. We usually worked 5-8 hour shifts. We got 2 breaks. 1 15 minutes and the other 30. The managers always brought in donughts and bagels. Only bad thing is, the hours are very early!! So if you cant get up at 4a.m, sometimes 2a.m. Then the job is not for you. The good thing about the hours is you can sometimes get off as early as 8:30 to 11:30. So you have the rest of the day to do whatever. It is very fast paced, especially truck days, you'll definitely lose weight at this job.
Pros
2 breaks, treats, workouts
Cons
Getting down products on long ladders
It was so and so...
cashier (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJanuary 12, 2016
My co-workers were great don't get me wrong, but the management wasn't as great as it should have been. There was definitely a lack of communication a lot between the managers and the cashiers which was frustrating to most of us.

The discounts were really nice as well, the pay is not so great since it is every other week. Which I didn't like at all.

Not long enough breaks. You only get 10-15 minutes.
Pros
Discounts, co-workers, and the customers
Cons
Short breaks, and management
fun place to work with interesting people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJanuary 10, 2016
assisting customers and helping them with ideas for their projects. how to use my ideas to help customers complete their projects. assist with register backup as needed management is very good and works with you. co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Pros
very friendly and fun place to work
Cons
not enough hours to depend on