Michaels

Michaels Employer Reviews

non appreciative
Clerk- Inbound (Current Employee), Chino, CAMarch 4, 2015
Michaels offers decent benefits, however the Michaels way is to pile on the workload and not offer incentives or advancement opportunites. I have been doing the work of management for years but there is never an opprotunity to move up. Despite the fact that my work load is constantly slammed and I need 10 hours a day just to stay a float (with no back up so if I take a day off I am screwed) I make the same as someone who does hardly anything and plays on the internet most of the day. Hard work here is not appreciated, just expected.
Craft place.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waco, TXMarch 2, 2015
Pros: coupons
Cons: looks dirty
love all their stuff! great sales! great cashiers. hours weren't so great but I'm sure they have a new manager by now. love their floral section and scrap booking. a lot to choose from! love the coworkers.
Great place to work, friendy environment.
Part time cashier (Former Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 1, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: shortage of hours
This was by far my favorite job. It was a learning experience everyday. The managers and other associates were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was having to quit due to the minimal amount of hours. I really enjoyed working at Michaels and learning about all the different arts and crafts materials.
Behind the scenes
Presentation Replenishment Manager (Current Employee), Cedar Hill, TXFebruary 28, 2015
My days are beyond busy. I'm on my feet the entire work day, running around trying to get the workload done for the week. At Michael's I learned how to prioritize my work, time management and even greater organizational skills. Being in management is rewarding when I hear my employees say kind words about me even when I'm not around that let's me know I'm doing good. Having healthy work relationships is key. My co-workers are fun and crafty I enjoy working with them, hearing each others craft stories and best of all we do it all while getting the task at hand done. Hardest part on my job is the stress level I do everything in my power to stay level headed and I always do.The part I enjoy most about working at Michael's is that my team and I work an early shift the majority of the shift we are closed so tearing down the old and setting up all the new product is so much fun. I love to look at the floor and say WE DID THAT! The customers like it too the faces they make when they see the transitions is awesome.
Early and easy
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Lone Tree, COFebruary 27, 2015
Inventory distribution and organization. Basic customer service requirements and professionalism. Early shifts during the night as well as early releases in the morning.
the customer is not right
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARFebruary 26, 2015
Michaels is not a place to work if you are a single parent and not a manager. If you request off they give you a few hours. They are open thanks giving day and have sub par framing equipment. If someone is going to cover your shift and they don't show it counts on you not them even if the manager tells you to go ahead and leave.
A good place to work part time, however the hours are unstable.
Replenishment Team Member (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: discounts, short shifts
Cons: no lunch breaks for the replenishment, unstable hours, short shifts (bad for those needing more money)
Michaels would be a great place to work if you are in school and living with family or in the dorms of a college. However, i would not recommend this if you are living on your own. Hours can be unpredictable, going from working five days a week to only once or twice a week. Typically, replenishment goes in, usually just builds fixtures, puts labels of the fixtures, and fills them when we have the product. I have learned how to work with difficult people, coworkers or customers. the hardest thing about this job is when we cannot find what we need upstairs for our fixtures. the most enjoyable part about this job is the other coworkers. they help make going in early more enjoyable by cracking some jokes and you can play music to help you work before opening.
More of my background:
Floral Manager (Current Employee), Westfield, INFebruary 26, 2015
I have work as a Merchandiser for Mattel Toys
I have worked as a Merchandiser for a Software company
I have been a Assistant Manager at a Marina including jobs as a Marketing person, Merchandiser, some Bookkeeping, Customer Service and in charge of a Fitness Center and Pool and an Event Planner to name a few. My most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customer to help them with their purchase, their questions and to make it an enjoyable experience.
Fast paced work environment
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee), Stevenson Ranch, CAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great work environment, friendly people
A typical day at work would be coming in early to stock the shelves and make sure inventory was set for the day.

What I learned working at Michaels was customer service.

My co-workers and management were nice people to get along with.

The hardest part of the job was making sure everything was stocked on the shelves before the store opened

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers
Custom Framing Finisher/Cashier
Custom Framing Finisher/Cashier (Former Employee), Middletown, RIFebruary 15, 2015
I learned how to custom finish custom framing, place orders for custom framing, how to better interact with customers.
Short staffed most of the time, Corporate owned so manager has little say in day to day operation. The management team is good.
Customer Service-Front End (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: goods employees, nice management, cheweery place to work.
Cons: low pay, too many demands, not baxcked up by management with customers.
Michaels is a fun place to work for the most part. The store is extremely under staffed. That is because of Corporate. The corporate mind set there is demand and see what get done. They wear employees out this way. The customers have an entitled set of mind. We get yelled at by them and we are not really backed up by management because they are afraid the customer will call corporate and they give them what ever they want.That kills morale for the worker's because we look stupid.

The people at Michaels are great. We have a good team because we know what each other go through.
Fairly simple job
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: 30% discount, nice wage for first time job, friendly environment, simple tasks
Cons: hard labor, not a lot of hours, not many benefits since its part time
Typical work day would include coming in early and start on tasks given by manager that day.
I've learned some customer service skills working in replenishment.
Even though management can get a bit hectic and unorganized we still managed to get things done.
The hardest part of the job was having to lift very heavy boxes or not being taught everything when I first started so I had to learn as I go.
I do enjoy how comfortable a am with the job because I know what to do and where things go all on my own 98% of the time and the co workers are very nice. Managers are very nice as well! Another perk of the job is you're not on your own and people will help you if you really need it.
Delightfully fun place to work
Sales/Replenishment/Cust (Current Employee), Grand Junction, COFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: interesting customers and coworkers.
Cons: wages are low but to be expected in grand junction
Wonderful work environment and wonderful management. Very flexible schedule and the merchandise is interesting and fun to discuss with the customer.
Productive fun work place. Great people
Sales/Stock/support tech. (Former Employee), Chehalis WAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: getting breaks when scheduled
Loved working for Michael's. Had a great management team. My store manager was very sympathetic to my needs. I enjoyed working for someone who cared. Whenever i had an issue with health or daycare they always helped work around it.
worst job
Cashier (Former Employee), Hanford, CAFebruary 7, 2015
at points i was only getting 4 hrs a week. there would only be an associate and a supervisor on the floor at all times. very short staffed. and did not work with your avalibility
Shady management that constantly changes schedule.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Hurst, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: relaxed environment, friendly employees, and free snacks sometimes.
Cons: short to no breaks some days, very bad managerial staff.
While not the most stressful environment to work in, if you wanted a job where you knew you would be given hours and that you'd be working there for a long period of time, I would suggest to look elsewhere for work. The managers there will not care if you make enough money to live off of, because for some reason they like to hire a bunch of people, but only give most of them about 4 hours a week. There were not many employees there that didn't live with their parents because Michael's does not give their employees opportunities to be able to support themselves. On another note, the managers their have a bad habit of changing the schedules during the middle of the week without telling any of their employees. Causing multiple people to come in and out of the store confused because they thought they were suppose to work today OR they got called in and were 30 minutes late because they couldn't realize the schedule was changed without seeing it first. Every employee there had to check out people on a daily basis even if that wasn't their designated position. I learned how to operate and RF Gun as well as a touchscreen cash register. My co-workers were very kind to most people including myself. But the hardest part of the job was definitely having to put up with the lousy management performance. The most enjoyable part was definitely the relaxed environment with the friendly employees.
Relaxed environment in a great store
Painting Instructor (Former Employee), Fort Oglethorpe, GAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: tom stephens was a great manager.
Cons: the company did no promotion.
The employees were easy-going but not very knowledgeable of the products and stock. Teaching the painting classes was an extremely enjoyable experience. I always provided a positive and creative environment. Too bad the store did not promote the painting classes, therefore, there was very little demand for a painting instructor.
Flexible Schedule
CASHIER (Former Employee), Granada Hills, CAFebruary 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at Michaels, they were able to work with my schedule while finishing my Bachelors Degree. My coworkers were great to work with, which made it enjoyable to work the night shift.
Fun and easy going workplace as long as everyone was doing their job correctly.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COFebruary 3, 2015
I appreciated that each day was very fast paced and packed with things to do and get done by the end of each shift. My co-workers and managers were easy to get along with for me. I enjoyed the days where difficult customers would come in because it gave me a chance to improve that particular persons day. I learned that having outstanding patients is the key to making a customers experience the best they can possibly have.
Michaels is a fun and creative atmosphere to work in.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bel Air, MDJanuary 31, 2015
Over all I would say working at Michaels was a wonderful experience. The management was great and so were my co-workers.I truly enjoyed helping the customers find fun and easy crafts to do with children.

1 2 3 4 5

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more

Michaels Salaries