Michaels

Michaels Employee Reviews

It was simple and creative
Sales Associate (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCMay 26, 2015
Michaels is fun and creative arts and craft store that alot of people love to come to, to be creative and have fun. It was a nice place to work at to see different things you can create or become creative. I loved helping customers out with anything they need and givve them some ideas of how to be creative.
Fun place to work
Certified Framer (Current Employee), Chesterfield, MIMay 22, 2015
It's been a challenging but good and fun experience. I have learned a lot and met a lot of cool people. Plus the product knowledge you get from working here is great.
If you love crafts...
Support Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Small discount, worked with some nice people
Cons: Hours, workload, no training
You might love Michael's. However, I found (like most companies now) they ask you to do more with less. They don't pay well, and they include your discount as part of your "wages" - they assume you will spend a certain amount of money per month and so they calculate your wage based on the average amount you would not spend with your discount. It's weird, and backwards.

There was very little real training, and for a lot of the questions I had "I don't know" or "don't worry about that now" was the answer. My store manager was the worst offender, and while I realize that oftentimes store managers have a lot on their plate, I was never really sure what mine did - the office was a mess, there were stacks of papers that he was supposed to go through, which never happened. It made me sad for the support managers who tried to pick up his slack.

The other people I worked with were pleasant, but there was a general haze of "I hate my job" while I worked at this place.
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Vallejo, CAMay 21, 2015
Pros: I got to meet lots of new faces.
Cons: Short breaks.
Enjoyable job. Always Productive. I get to meet a lot of new people. The environment is very friendly and safe. It is an inspiring place to work. Very crafty.
Welcoming
Sales Floor/Replenishment/Cashier (Former Employee), Walnut, CAMay 21, 2015
All the employees and management were very welcoming. The management team was very flexible with me and my schedule while I was going to school.
Close-knit, welcoming environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Evergreen Park, ILMay 19, 2015
I think that this has been my favorite job so far, mostly because three's no food to handle. Customer loyalty is really prevalent and fun to see. All the associates are very friendly and welcoming and we all get along really well.
Michaels
Customer Experience manager (Former Employee), Surprise, AZMay 13, 2015
Pros: Work enviornment
Cons: Pay
This was my first job and my alternative to working at fast food. It was a great place to work and taught me many things about the working world. However, like most retailers you are worked hard for little pay.
Great Staff, but not company
Title - Sales Associate (Current Employee), Albuquerque, New MexicoMay 13, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules, Great Staff
Cons: Corporate lacks connections with the store and local communities.
Although I work with a great staff, the company itself only cares about making its daily profit, not increasing its revenue stream. Thusly this has cause a shift in what items the store caries. In the past Michaels was strictly a craft store set upon helping various crafters. Now it has lost a large amount of this percentage of people, in order to sell seasonal items that are cheap to make, but lack any real value of creation. Overall the job itself is wonderful, I am able to talk to customers about projects they are working on and I learn many things about material usage usage and process design for the projects the customers are working on. Most of these projects are from local teachers, painters, model makers, scrapbookers, and other various fields. Although Michaels is switching its operation, I still enjoy working in a creative environment around talented individuals.
Fun company to work at if you are a crafting person
Global Sourcing Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 11, 2015
Pros: Casual work environment, decent benefits, family/work balance
Cons: Many people there make the work day miserable. Mean people.
Global Sourcing positions are focused on financial analytics and not program or product development. I learned a great deal about on line auctions and working through financial implications of changing from import to domestic vendors. I found it difficult to get along with many of the female buys who were just downright mean.
i am proud to have served
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Manassas, VAMay 8, 2015
the military was a challenging and dangerous work environment; at least from my perspective as military law enforcement.
Beautiful environment to work at!
Certified Graumbacher Art Teacher (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 7, 2015
I love to work at Michaels Arts and Crafts because it afford me the opportunity to teach young people and children. Great employee discounts!
Great first job
Part-Time Replenishment Associate (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMay 4, 2015
Pros: possible health care, raises
Cons: minimum wage
Your typical minimum wage work place. However they do reward your hard work with pay raises.
They cross train if they think you are going to do well. This provides more hours.
Michaels Work Life
Cashier (Current Employee), Burleson, TxApril 30, 2015
Pros: Employee discount, friendly MOD, friends co-workers
Cons: Short breaks, hour cuts, too many employees being hired
I currently work at Michaels as a part-time cashier/sales associate. My typical day would be standing behind a register checking customers out, and talking to them about their day. I clean up around my area, and make sure everything is front faced around the registers. I've learned that when it comes to customer service the customer is most definitely always right no matter what. I love all of my co-workers, they work hard, do what they're told, and I'm pretty good friends with most of them. The hardest part of my job is when the store becomes slow and there's not much action going on. I'm the type of person who always has to be doing something, whether it's walking, singing, cleaning , or organizing, I have to be doing something 24/7. The most enjoyable part of job is talking to the customers, I'm a very social able person, and I never run out of things to say. I love helping each customer out whether it's picking out a single flower or helping them pick which shirt to pick from, I love it all.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Chula Vista, CAApril 30, 2015
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: short breaks
Meeting new people is what I enjoy doing and I have the opportunity to do so at Michaels. I learn new ways on how to be creative and make the best with what I already have at home. Everyone that works at Michaels has an upbeat and positive attitude so its easy to get along with people you work with.
Fun place to work
Support Specialist (Current Employee), Chattanooga, Tn.April 30, 2015
We are a family. It is a great place to work with laid back atmosphere. I recommend employment with this company. The only down side is not getting enough hours
Productive fast paced retail environment.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAApril 29, 2015
Pros: The job was based on all of my favorite passtimes.
Cons: Very difficult career advancement.
What I liked about this job is that if heavily involved all of my favorite pastimes. It was an easy job given that, and the majority of my time was spent as a cashier and answering any craft question that customers brought to me. The co-workers were amazing and many of them are now my friends. Management there was also really good, they all had good personalities and got along well with the crew.
Interesting and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Boone, NCApril 29, 2015
On a typical day I would interact with customers on the sales floor and as a cashier. I was able to restock, learn about the new merchandise, and help customers with any needs. I learned a lot of things working at Michaels, such as how to multitask, communication skills, and learned more about crafting, jewelry, and floral design. The management was great and I really worked well with everyone in the company. The hardest part of the job was climbing up the large ladder to restock canvases and other merchandise because I am terribly scared of heights, but I was able to over-come my fears for the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity I had to teach summer art classes to children.
pretty laidback place to work
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee), Charter Township of Orion, MIApril 28, 2015
its a pretty decent place to work when the customers aren't be so rude. the people I work with are awesome. They just need more people working especially on the weekends
Meh
Support Specialist (Current Employee), North Little Rock, ARApril 27, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Low pay, short shifts and frustrating policies
I've been with Michaels for over three years now and the policies just keep getting worse. Now we are not allowed to make closing announcements at night, and we have to put the lockup merchandise cards on the sales floor even if it is not in stock.
Shifts are very short so that managers can easily say oh, you don't need to take a break, you haven't been here that long. I actually got less pay when I was promoted to support specialist because I got a raise but my shifts went from five and a half to only four hours! Our new CEO made 13 million dollars in 2013 but I can't eat or pay rent even though I'm dealing with two of the store's most important tasks, making sure the money is right and stocking the product we receive. Without us they would have nothing but they know employees will come and go so they don't care if we hate the hours and pay because they can just hire on someone new at minimum wage. The best way to run the store though is with experienced, knowledgeable employees, and we aren't going to stay if we keep being treated so poorly.
Very Calm And Fun Day
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDApril 27, 2015
Cons: Short Breaks
Michael's Is A Fun Place To work . I Usually Sit At the Cash Register And Help Customer . Management Is Great they Are very supportive and caring . my co worker are awesome They love helping and are very dependably . The Hardest Part Of my job is standing on my feet all day .

1 2 3 4 5

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more

Michaels Salaries