Michaels Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,385 reviews matching the search
Michaels is a fun, fast paced environment to work in
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Auburn, CAMarch 29, 2016
Michaels is an equal opportunity and non-discriminatory employer. There are a lot of opportunities at Michaels that arise frequently allowing associates to advance in the company. Many of the associates that I have worked with have advanced quickly. It is always a very fun, fast paced environment that is enjoyable to work at. A typical day at work may depend on your specific position, but no positions are unfulfilling. I am particularly impressed with the management team at the Michaels in which I currently work, they do a fantastic job at keeping on track and noticing every detail to keep the company up and running for the customers as well as the rest of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the opportunities that it gives me, and the associates that I have the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Benefits, Opportunity for advancement, Employee Discounts, Fair break/lunch time
Typical retail atmosphere guided by customer service
Customer Experience Manager of Events (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYFebruary 11, 2016
Michaels' is a great company. It has a competitive employee discount which is great for employees who are also crafters themselves. I've learned leadership and management skills here. Michaels' gave me the promotion into management which was a great opportunity for growth in my career. I have also learned many aspects of custom framing and sales as well as setting up events in our classroom.
Pros
30% discount, custom framing, full-time benefits
Good working environment.
Part-Time Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYApril 4, 2016
After many years of working for this company I have learned a lot and have excelled in my customer service skills. A typical work day included sales floor recovery, stocking shelves, providing customer's with an excellent experience while visiting Michael's Arts and Crafts Store. You are also required to have a full comprehension on how to handle situations when a customer in unsatisfied with their experience. Not only are you required to have a thorough comprehension of the store but you are required to handle money while working on a register [at time of checkout], while also answering and directing phones. Being that this is a retail-store the annual pay increase [during time of evaluations] is minuscule and what you can receive as an increase in salary could only be as much as thirty cents.
Pros
Management is great and the co-workers are friendly.
Cons
Short breaks, poor hourly pay for amount of work required and poor healthcare benefits.
Long hours, no holidays.
Framing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 6, 2016
In general most of the people are great to work with. The store itself has gone downhill ~ inferior cheap items at top dollar. At one time this was a craft supply store, now they are selling home decor, candy and stuffed animals to compete, the craft supplies they sell now are pre-made kits leaving no imagination/creativity. Many of the stores are old and not very clean, when they update they use old shelving/supplies from stores that have closed. Break rooms and bathrooms are filthy. Upper management tends to sit in the office most of the time calling the employees to them rather than walking the floor interacting with customers to meet with the employee. Custom framing department is dishonest and over priced. Check your morals before working for Michaels.
Pros
Employees, benefits
Cons
Corporate, hours, pay
Demanding, always had to be on point and aware of placement of new items
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 15, 2015
It was always a challenge walking into work, we usually had about 3/4 holiday seasons in the store and our aisles were always changing along with bringing in new merchandise. Among helping every customer that stopped you, you had to recommend more things that pertained to their project and must be organizing the store as you go along. On a personal level for the amount of associates they had on a shift, management expected a lot. But in the end we would get rewarded. All coworkers tended to get close and help out one another. It was a pleasant job the least to say, time always flew by because there was always something that had to be done.
Pros
Time consumption, parties for employees, raises every few months
Cons
short breaks and only had lunch if you worked a double, not flexible with change of schedule, hectic routine
No respect for loyal employees
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orion, MIMarch 16, 2016
Michaels will tell employees that it is a great company that promotes from within but some district managers will only hire young people they feel they can control. Twenty years ago there were over 15 full time positions in the average store. In 2016 there are 4 and 3 are management. If you need a part time job with no advancement it's a fun place to work with a good discount. If you want to make a career move this is not the place.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
pressure to get emails from every customer, no chance for advancement, low pay
Clean, friendly work environment with knowledgeable, friendly staff
Head Cashier & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAJanuary 16, 2016
Work always starts greeting people with a smile and asking them if there is anything you can help them with. Sometimes it takes a little work to get everything perfect and not everyone is a happy customer but you can leave knowing you did your best to help someone find what they need. I have learned so many things working here; I have learned how to become more patient and a better communicator through solving every day problems.
Pros
benefits, wage and position advancements
Cons
lack of assistance when needed, lack of communication among staff
Decent pay/ Horrible management
Pick to light/ Forklift (Current Employee) –  Centralia, WADecember 31, 2015
I have been at this warehouse for over a year, I started in the pick to light area and that was it. I had to beg for months just to learn something new but they decided im far to valuable to move anywhere in the warehouse such as put away or any other position. I loved last peak season when it was under different management, Now its under new management and they all pick favorites. and if you are in PTL and not one of their favorites then you will never move up anywhere. I love the workers we all work hard for our money and im not the only one who feels this way. I do love working there.Michaels is a great company to work for. i just wish the managers would show more appreciation for us instead of making us feel like robots. Ive been here over a year and i have yet to learn anything in a different mod. no matter how much i ask i am always told maybe later but I just gave up hope.
Pros
Good people to work with/ some short days during non peak
Cons
Favoritism, Short breaks, management issues, Lack of more people
Flexible hours but poor managment
Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CAOctober 25, 2015
Michaels is a great place for students or parents who need flexible hours and a part time job. It's fun to meet new people everyday and to have new challenges when it comes to framing or helping customers with projects.
However it is very difficult to meet expectations given by the upper management. To cut costs staff is cut to the bare bones, one manager, one cashier and one framer in the morning. By noon one floor associate comes in. There is hardly ever any overlap in the same department which makes it difficult to complete all the tasks given and still provide excellent customer service.
My coworkers are the best part though. My job is full of creative kind people whom I have learned so much from, and who are always willing to help.
One of the hardest parts is the holidays, which is to be expected in a retail store.
For me the most enjoyable part is when a customer sees the finished frame I've made for them.
Pros
Flexible Hours, great coworkers
Cons
working holidays, little room for advancement, little benefits
Quiet environment with little hours and poor pay
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 27, 2016
A typical day as a replenishment associate was to unload the truck, separate different items to designated areas, stocked shelves, upstocked. I learned how to work at a quick pace. Management sucked, constant smoke breaks, rude. Co workers made the job bearable. Hardest part of the job was sometimes the amount of the items you received on truck orders were outrageously huge and you only had a short amount of time to get everything stocked up, which didn't happen most of the time, and they wouldn't let you come to work an extra day to finish. Most enjoyable part was since they only gave you 15-20 hours a week if that, you had a lot of personal time. The co-workers were fun to work with, and always helped each other when we had finished with our area.
Pros
Easy job, co workers are fun and helpful, early morning hours so you have the whole day to do whatever
Cons
Poor pay, bad management, very little hours
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 17, 2015
I really liked working for this company, the only draw-back was that I wasn't paid a whole lot per hour. It's hard to make a living on it. The job was kind of boring at times, but my coworkers were fun and entertaining, and nothing was overly-serious. We were praised for deservedly good work, we were talked to about poor work, I thought they did a good job managing their employees' performances. I felt that the store manager genuinely cared about all of her employees. Job ends when you walk out the door, period. Great work/life balance, they are very well-staffed so you can usually find people to cover your shifts. Great employee discount (30%), and the store puts out more coupons than you can count. Only really negative thing is that customers can get extremely rude especially the closer you get to christmas. I wouldn't recommend working there during the holiday season.
Pros
Lots of breaks, Good environment, Nice employee discount
Cons
Sometimes boring, not paid a lot, really cranky customers over the holidays
A fun environment with fun employees.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 31, 2015
The material handler position at Michael's Distribution Lancaster was very interesting. My daily activities include unloading domestic and imported trailers. The offloaded freight would have to be palletized and taped to secure that the pallet was stable enough to be loaded onto the warehouse racks. Scanning and receiving the merchandise into the warehouse system was the final step of offloading. My day to day activities were made more enjoyable because of friendly and funny co-workers. It was never a dull moment at the warehouse. The management team was also very knowledgeable, productive and would always appraise your hard work.
Pros
BBQ's, safety lunches, open house events, competitive pay rates, nice people
Cons
Company is a bit lenient with attendance policies, a lot of overtime at certain times
Michaels Arts and Crafts
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 5, 2016
My typical day at Michaels is a multitude of jobs as I can work framing, stocking, cashiering, and monitoring the sales floor. The management isn't very good with exception of the first manager I got hired on six years ago, whom still works at the Michaels on Ming (I currently and have always worked at the Rosedale location). The hardest part of the job is dealing with management as they aren't ones to lead by example and the most enjoyable part of my day is my fellow employees and the customers. I pride myself on customer service and have been awarded associate of the month twice and love to make my customers happy and make their visits worth it. The best day for me is when I customer tells me that what I do is worth it, whether or not they tell my boss, just knowing I've helped a customer is beneficial and rewarding for myself.
Pros
Creativity, Great employees, Customers
Manegment is everything
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEFebruary 29, 2016
There were three Michaels near where I worked. Two of them had terrible management, and we heard about it endlessly. For the first four years my store in Biddeford had excellent management that cared about the employees. But our manager was constantly pressured by the truly lackluster upper management to do more, and more. They changed their minds on massive displays three times in one week. He walks out, after working for the company for over a decade. I left a few days later, along with a large group of the staff. I have kept in contact with someone who worked there for a few more months, and after they replaced four managers, the store was in shambles.

If you are lucky to work with good people, it is probably the best retail work there is. If you work with jerk, you're going to be treated like garbage.
Pros
You're not selling food.
Cons
Your boss can either be a friend, or an jerk, and nowhere in between.
Fun Job
Cashier/ Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LA 70503March 22, 2016
The Work was enjoyable and stressful at same time. I learned quicker than others so I had more responsibility making the day harder. I learned new techniques in crafting as well as a few management techniques from my supervisor. Management for most part was helpful and very friendly. Coworkers varied as the new employees who were really young refused to do much work. Hardest part was running from one side of store to the other side in order to assist a customer. The most enjoyable was helping the kids during Kids Krafts on Saturdays.
Pros
Hours, Kid's Crafts, Birthday Parties, Customers
Cons
Short breaks, pay
Crafty Hobby Environment
Painting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLDecember 2, 2015
Being a Painting Instructor you are expected to establish your schedule for your class and use your own supplies while promoting the Michael's brand paints. You have to be willing however to participate in open houses to retain or obtain students providing demonstrations as well as examples that would be created in the class. Management depends on the location in which you work and there is a lot of turn over in management. You work on your own time to create promotional material or class material and do not get paid to do this. The hardest part of the job is getting to the location and knowing you had people scheduled to wait and no one show up and then only get paid for the time no commission because they did not show up. But it is interesting because every day is different due to changes in who decides to come to the class. But typically the student base is those who just want to pass the time away by learning something new or they are just crafty hobbyists.
Pros
Something new every day
Cons
Poor communication, tons of turn over in management, pay is not enough for time spent, no help to obtain students
Fun place to work.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 20, 2016
Michael's is a fun place to work, however there are limited opportunities for advancement.

Upper management needs to slow down ad's and price changes, in an effort to help associates focus more on customer service.
Pros
Hours during non-peak Season.
Cons
Corporate leadership.
Busy Workplace, Fun Employees, Variety of Customers
REPLENISHMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 2, 2016
We are never still at Michael's. There is always work to be done. Our team is hardworking to provide the best service to our customers. The best part of working at Michael's is that there is always something new an interesting to discover and learn. The hardest part of working at Michael's is time management/ delegating for a large team, making sure each task goes to the most suited associate.
Great staff and management.
Customer Service/FES/Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAMarch 1, 2016
I really enjoyed and loved working for Michaels Arts & Crafts. I looked forward to waking up and going to work everyday. The employees and management were an awesome group of people to work with. The hardest part of the job was having to leave all the wonderful co-workers and the customers that I had built a strong professional relationship with. I always worked with a smile on my face and loved helping customers find what they needed for projects or events.
Get in at 3am start working very fast on the truck day and ......
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park NYSeptember 2, 2015
Low pay, unreliable hours, lack of professionalism in management.
3 am truck day and here we go - very stressful time. If you have to take care of your Family for the rest of that day you will be very tired. Very heavy boxes, fast work and no appreciation.
Favoritism, cutting hours, no appreciation for hard work.No fun place to work at all. I do not recommend even for beginners.
I was very disappointed there all the time.
I learned not to trust people.
Pros
None.
Cons
Favoritism, low pay, low raises, hours can change severly, no security, no reward for hard work.

2.9