Michigan Blood

Michigan Blood Employer Reviews

GREAT
Secretary (Former Employee), Portage, MIDecember 28, 2014
Pros: everything
Great place to work and I would have loved to stay on at this company. But due to cut backs some of the sites had to be downsized.
Productive and fun place to work
Donor Care Specialist II (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIDecember 16, 2014
Pros: working with a great group of co-workers
Cons: long days and sometimes no lunches
I spend each day working at a mobile or fixed site and set up for a blood drive with a group of staff members. Each person rotates between the entire process of registration, screening and phlebotomy.
the WORST company!!
phlebotomist (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 20, 2014
Pros: the donors and fellow phleb's... oh and cookies!!
Cons: everything about this place is a con!!
Do not apply here unless you plan on being a tattle tale, butt kisser, and disliked by your co-workers. The only way to advance in this company is favoritism. You will work all hours of the day from 3am till 10 pm and everything in between. This company only cares about getting blood in the door not about staff at all. You will rarely get a lunch, doesn't matter how long you are scheduled.. You will be lucky to get to use the restroom. Since the beginning of this year 33 people have quick. They have let go of people who were desperately needed, which has put more job duties onto us the phlebotomist. I go home everyday hating my job, bruised to all heck, and dreading the next day. The management act as though they care "tell us how we can help", you tell them and they roll there eyes, talk to you as if you are a child, and downgrade you at all times. This is the WORST company to work for!! Yeah, the pay is good but my sanity is more important. Besides my fellow phlebs, there isn't anything worth staying for here at this "elementary school".
Sincerely,
Looking to get out of this prison!!
Great Internship Experience
Volunteer Writer (Former Employee), Saginaw, MINovember 6, 2014
I interned very briefly for Michigan Blood as a volunteer writer. The staff I worked with was extremely helpful when I was having communication issues with interviewees. I ended up getting three articles published by them. Not only are they a fantastic non-profit, they are also wonderful people to work with.
There are dedicated staff who believe in what mi blood stands for
secretary (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 1, 2014
Pros: the donors willing to help save the lives of people they don't even know
Cons: long hours, no breaks, morale is low, many staff leaving due to big changes in job descriptions.
It was a good place to work. Not any more. I hope that this will change for the employees still working there because they are a dedicated group of people who deserve to have that again.
Courier
Courier Driver (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIOctober 18, 2014
Pros: saving lives
Cons: people lie
Lab Tech lied on me said i harass her but wasnt true at all. waiting for the final decison.
Good Luck as Middle Management Changes
lab rat (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 13, 2014
" Everyday" employees work well together.. Management is always changing the goal and uprooting good employees.
Worst place ever. You are just a number NOT a human.
Blood slave (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIAugust 24, 2014
Cons: too many to list.
Horrible schedule. Horrible attitude the employees have. Always drama. NO one is happy working there.
hard work in lab
Lab Technician (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIAugust 23, 2014
Pros: hours that i like
Cons: never judged individually, always as a group. poor compensation
Laboratory is poorly managed. They like to see how far they can push you and how much they can get out of you before you break.
Great place to work with our very own community members.
Phlebotomist-Charge Team Leader (Current Employee), Traverse City, MIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: working with the best of our community!
Cons: very hard to work hours, early days to late nights, sometime short turn arounds.
As Team Leader I set up what the day will look like for my other team members. I give each team member a area to work and get set up for the blood drive. I make sure my team members get breaks. I am here to answer any question other team members or donors may have as team leader. I am in charge of the blood drive. I love working with my co-workers and have a very good professional relationship and respect for each team member I work with. The hardest part of my job with Michigan Blood is the work life balance. I work different hours different day. We cover a 7 county area year round. I really enjoy working with all the community members who come to give blood for someone that donor will never know. I work with health people who are doing this because the donor wants to do this.
Enjoyable
Phlebotomist (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 21, 2014
Pros: learn alot of new thing always trying to enhance your skills
Cons: no work or life balance
Staff is wonderful people to work with, work in a team setting so you really don't get to work with the same group all the time. Travel to different places that host blood drive, so you get to meet a lot of different people which is cool.
Good culture.
Lab Technician I (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 14, 2014
Pros: good leadership
Cons: feast and famine workflow
Good cause and great team atmosphere. Good leadership, but irregular hours and feast and famine work flow.
High turnover, low standards
PCS, Level II (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: saving lives
Cons: bad atmosphere
Company continuously removes benefits and adds additional responsibilities without raising pay.

Saving lives is a great feeling but the high stress culture of Michigan Blood can cause morale to suffer.

Donors are happy and bring a lot of positivity to the scene.

Limited opportunites to advance.
Working for/with people and their unique situations keeps me motivated every day......be that on a personal or professional level.
Donor Relation Specialist (Former Employee), Lapeer, Genesee &Shiawassee CountiesJanuary 14, 2014
This was a very high paced job. I traveled a lot throughout my territory soliciting new partnerships, maintaining already established accounts, and providing direction to donors, nursing staff, school personnel, etc.
Everchanging
Donor Service Secretary (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MIJuly 9, 2013
Pros: the benefits of the company are wonderful, and there is always a sense of true caring about the donors
Cons: management changes, and communication of ideas and practices between the branches of the company.
Once senior management is on a clear path, team members should have a sense of calm. Currently the entire field of blood banking is under going intense changes and it is difficult for management to make and communicate changes effectively.
If management like you, then you can advance. If not, watch out.
Not sure what I did? (Former Employee), Midland, MIMay 29, 2013
Pros: can't think of anything good.
Cons: management plays favorites.
If you like working early mornings, late nights, weekends, and holidays., and favouritism then Michigan Blood is for you.
Unhappy workplace for lab techs
Lab Tech 2 (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 11, 2013
bad management creates unhappy workers in lab. Not conducive for employees.
Doing good in the community
Manager (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: knowing you've helped people
Cons: constant hiring of front-line staff
Management is making changes and trying to put processes in place to make things smoother. Co-workers are friendly and supportive. Most enjoyable - hitting goals and knowing you are helping to save lives.
Maintain Blood Supply for many hospitals.
State-wide Call Center Manager (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: knowing you've helped people
Cons: constant hiring of front-line staff
A typical day starts no later than 9:30a and ends about 7p. There is a lot of stress and pressure to get the right blood products and the quantity needed each day from volunteer donors. I've learned to manage a large staff and juggle the management of scheduled donors. Management is making changes and trying to put processes in place to make things smoother. Co-workers are friendly and supportive. Hardest part of the job is work/life balance and always chasing a number. Most enjoyable - hitting goals and knowing you are helping to save lives.
Excellent company for which to work!
Donor Contact Representative (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 5, 2012
I loved the two years I spend at Michigan Blood. They have excellent managers and a staff that is always so friendly. They are constantly moving in the right direction, and the job security there is excellent. They have worked dilligently in the past few years to adjust pay scales (to the higher end) and increase/fix benefits packages.