Michigan Blood Employee Reviews

Don't Apply Here!
Donor Services Support (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 9, 2017
Horrible place to work! My direct manager was horrible! Inconsistent, unsupportive, played favorites, brought out the worst in everyone. Not a good environment.
nice place to learn
Donor Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 23, 2017
great place to work for a learning experience, hours are very crazy not a very great place to advance. Management should work on showing employees more reorganization and appreciation.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
horrible hours
Not as bad as some people make it out to be
Lab (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MISeptember 4, 2017
I've worked here for a few years now. I've noticed quite a few comments from disgruntled former employees. While there may be some truth, it is greatly over exaggerated. There are areas for improvement, but it is like that at every other job as well. The industry itself has been and will continue to change, that is the way it is. Daily activities can be a bit repetitive, but seek out a challenge and make the best of it.
Pros
Pay, benefits, vacation, mission
Cons
Can be repetitive, need to maintain a vast amount of knowledge, evolving industry, management is hit or miss, work load is inconsistent
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 27, 2017
They made it easy for volunteers to pick what positions they wanted to work. Also, the employees were always easy going and appreciative to the volunteers.
Not really a great place turn over rate is sky high
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 28, 2017
Work life balance dose not excist management view you as expendable and only numbers matter the CEO is unaware of the ongoing problems and allows the head of donor services to destroy the Compony
Poor management
Restock and Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMay 12, 2017
If you're looking for a company to grow in, this is definitely not the one. Favoritism is a big key in this company. Managers are unprofessional. You trained yourself and if you make a mistakes, that's when the managers will reach out to talk to you. Other than that, they don't reward you and avoid talking to you. Even if you're face to face with them. Pay wasn't enough for the job task. Be careful if you decide to get a job here.
Pros
Cons
Managers, job task
a company in need of supervisory review.
testing and Q.A. coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 30, 2017
Versiti is a good company. Unfortunately, they acquired a company in Michigan Blood that is in dire need of new supervisors.
The supervisors of the Lab in particular are unprofessional in their conduct toward the workers under them.
Threats are the norm.
Too much in fighting
Donor Care Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIFebruary 6, 2017
It seems that you always have groups within the company that have competing goals and therefore they butt heads often and don't often resolve issues without a struggle.
Cons
No regard for your personal schedule. Scheduling is a nightmare.
Very needed service and rewarding work
Screener II & Charge Person (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 30, 2017
A day could be very busy. Always rewarding. Learned new rules and regulations to keep safety awareness renewed. Learned to work well with others, enjoy the new information you learn about the donors and their lives. Try to keep a steady and fast pace to keep the total process moving smoothly. Just knowing your busy day keeps people alive.
Pros
Cookies and juice
Cons
long drives, early hours, not sure what time your day might end.
Company has changed and not in a good way.
Long-time employee (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 27, 2016
I worked for this company for 10 years. For many years this was an amazing company to work for but things have changed. Management no longer listens to their employees. If you're looking for a job just for a paycheck this is the place for you, but if you're looking for a job where you look forward to going to work every day I would look elsewhere.
Pros
Saving lives, good co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Fun environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 7, 2016
Being a lab tech. Was a very fulfilling job. Knowing how many people were helped by our services was a great feeling. Producing blood components for life saving operations was our goal and we attained that goal with pride.
Pros
Self fulfillment
Cons
Expired components
Horrible Management!
Support Services (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsOctober 21, 2016
Favoritism at its finest! Most managers have ZERO management skills and are VERY unprofessional! I would not recommmend working for this company! Constant turnover for a good reason!

Was supposed to be "the best place to work" by 2015. Then they changed it to 2018 without telling anyone or acknowledging they have so much work to do before it can be an "ok" place to work.

Hopefully the new President will make the necessary changes needed in management.
Pros
Saving lives
Great company, horrible management
Donor Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 17, 2016
This company is great, unless of course you are looking at the management structure.

They say one thing, do the opposite. Don't bother to speak up, you will regret it when you're being called into the office for being insubordinate and out of line (even though it's a round table meeting).

Have kids? This job isn't for you.

There is NO work life balance. They say they are working on it, and yet in the four years that I have been there very little has been to help it. The small insignificant changes that have been made didn't help the current situation, and management feels as though they are God for granting us even that one morsel of change.
Positive company mission!
Team Lead/Education Assistant/Apheresis Specialist (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIOctober 13, 2016
Traverse City has some of the best co-workers and management that I have ever worked with. The benefits were pretty good and starting pay for phlebotomists is excellent compared to other places in the area. Downside is the work/life balance. Blood drives have to be scheduled whenever is the most optimum time for donors. Having your schedule be different every week can be difficult when you have a family. All in all it's a great place to work. Of course there are always a few people in every job that are set on making other people's lives difficult but for the most part your coworkers are amazing. Management tries to put the focus on a non-toxic environment. The educator is second to none and will help you become the very best phlebotomist possible. Not to mention the donors! It's a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Great coworkers and donors. Good benefits.
Cons
Ever changing schedule and sometimes short staffed.
Add more, pay less
Lab Technician III (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 24, 2016
The worst place I have ever worked for. Upper management just wants to add more and more work to positions without increase in pay. It seems at some sites whenever they lose someone full time the just want to replace it with part time, no matter how it affects the site or other sites. Best employees are saddled with the most and it is impossible to get rid of bad employees.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Overworked, understaffed, underpaid, idiotic CEO and management
Horrible place to work-the employee comes last
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 15, 2016
Horrible place to work. Favoritism is all over. You don't get anywhere unless you kiss someone's butt. The bosses run it like a dictatorship! You don't want to work here.
Nice place to work
Charge Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 23, 2016
Co-workers very fun to work with....Management easy to work with No problems at all. I would advise anyone to work there..
Great place to work, wish it was closer to home.
Donor Services Educator (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIMarch 16, 2016
I have worked for Michigan Blood for 8 years and have learned most of what i know from previous and current employees. Everyday is a challenge and i never stop learning new skills, i think that's what i like the most.The only downside to my job is the daily commute.
Good if you don't mind factory work
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 2, 2016
Working in the lab feels like working in a factory. You do the same thing all day and it gets mind-numbing. I've worked here for a few years and only stayed because the pay is DECENT. The upside to this job is probably the pay (but just barely) and the downside is literally everything else. Management is a joke and teamwork is something that's spoken of but never enforced. Prepare for hard work while others slack.
Pros
Occasional free food
Cons
Everything else
A great place to work for the inspired individual
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 10, 2015
I have had an amazing experience with Michigan Blood so far, and I am reaching 5 years with the organization. Since beginning employment, my direct report managers have allowed so much flexibility in my schedule, I was able to complete my Bachelor's degree. They not only care about growth as a company, but also personal growth as well. For my department, I am responsible for controlling SOP insertion/removal, handling payroll, and updating staff metrics and demographics. I enjoy taking the creative freedom allowed to me to focus on process improvement opportunities. Wages are market-competitive, and health benefits are affordable for full-time employees. I would say that the most enjoyable aspect of my job is that I play a role in saving lives in my community. The hardest part of the job is implementing change. As with most companies, change does not always come easy to seasoned staff. Also, one of the biggest inter-organizational issues is the lack of communication between departments. This can sometimes result in confusion for our donors and staff. Overall, my position within the company has allowed me a lot of opportunity for personal growth, as well as impacting the organization. I would, and have recommended Michigan Blood as a place to work because I truly think it is a great place to work!
Pros
saving lives, performance-driven salary increases
Cons
lack of accountability, market changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michigan Blood. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7