Michigan Blood Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 7, 2016
Being a lab tech. Was a very fulfilling job. Knowing how many people were helped by our services was a great feeling. Producing blood components for life saving operations was our goal and we attained that goal with pride.
Pros
Self fulfillment
Cons
Expired components
Horrible Management!
Support Services (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsOctober 21, 2016
Favoritism at its finest! Most managers have ZERO management skills and are VERY unprofessional! I would not recommmend working for this company! Constant turnover for a good reason!

Was supposed to be "the best place to work" by 2015. Then they changed it to 2018 without telling anyone or acknowledging they have so much work to do before it can be an "ok" place to work.

Hopefully the new President will make the necessary changes needed in management.
Pros
Saving lives
Great company, horrible management
Donor Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 17, 2016
This company is great, unless of course you are looking at the management structure.

They say one thing, do the opposite. Don't bother to speak up, you will regret it when you're being called into the office for being insubordinate and out of line (even though it's a round table meeting).

Have kids? This job isn't for you.

There is NO work life balance. They say they are working on it, and yet in the four years that I have been there very little has been to help it. The small insignificant changes that have been made didn't help the current situation, and management feels as though they are God for granting us even that one morsel of change.
Add more, pay less
Lab Technician III (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 24, 2016
The worst place I have ever worked for. Upper management just wants to add more and more work to positions without increase in pay. It seems at some sites whenever they lose someone full time the just want to replace it with part time, no matter how it affects the site or other sites. Best employees are saddled with the most and it is impossible to get rid of bad employees.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Overworked, understaffed, underpaid, idiotic CEO and management
Micro Manager
Lab Technician II (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIAugust 8, 2016
You schedule is always being flipped around. You will work 18-19 days in a row and than get 1 day off. The supervisor loves to micro manage. She has her favorites and will pick on you every second she gets. Many rumors fly through the small staff. Everyone will stab you in the back as soon as they can. Terrible work environment.
Horrible place to work-the employee comes last
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 15, 2016
Horrible place to work. Favoritism is all over. You don't get anywhere unless you kiss someone's butt. The bosses run it like a dictatorship! You don't want to work here.
Nice place to work
Charge Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 23, 2016
Co-workers very fun to work with....Management easy to work with No problems at all. I would advise anyone to work there..
Great place to work, wish it was closer to home.
Donor Services Educator (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIMarch 16, 2016
I have worked for Michigan Blood for 8 years and have learned most of what i know from previous and current employees. Everyday is a challenge and i never stop learning new skills, i think that's what i like the most.The only downside to my job is the daily commute.
Good if you don't mind factory work
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 2, 2016
Working in the lab feels like working in a factory. You do the same thing all day and it gets mind-numbing. I've worked here for a few years and only stayed because the pay is DECENT. The upside to this job is probably the pay (but just barely) and the downside is literally everything else. Management is a joke and teamwork is something that's spoken of but never enforced. Prepare for hard work while others slack.
Pros
Occasional free food
Cons
Everything else
A great place to work for the inspired individual
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 10, 2015
I have had an amazing experience with Michigan Blood so far, and I am reaching 5 years with the organization. Since beginning employment, my direct report managers have allowed so much flexibility in my schedule, I was able to complete my Bachelor's degree. They not only care about growth as a company, but also personal growth as well. For my department, I am responsible for controlling SOP insertion/removal, handling payroll, and updating staff metrics and demographics. I enjoy taking the creative freedom allowed to me to focus on process improvement opportunities. Wages are market-competitive, and health benefits are affordable for full-time employees. I would say that the most enjoyable aspect of my job is that I play a role in saving lives in my community. The hardest part of the job is implementing change. As with most companies, change does not always come easy to seasoned staff. Also, one of the biggest inter-organizational issues is the lack of communication between departments. This can sometimes result in confusion for our donors and staff. Overall, my position within the company has allowed me a lot of opportunity for personal growth, as well as impacting the organization. I would, and have recommended Michigan Blood as a place to work because I truly think it is a great place to work!
Pros
saving lives, performance-driven salary increases
Cons
lack of accountability, market changes
Not my ideal place
A little person (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 24, 2015
Works starts when you wake up and never really ends. I am in a department that had 11 people and has been trimmed down to 4.5 with more work added daily. Not really manageable in the long term.
great mission, variable hours
Donor Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand RapidsAugust 2, 2015
Enjoy the donor contact. Company could be managed more effectively. Seems to be having a hard time finding companies to support drives.
Pros
great cause
Cons
hours
Best place to work
Director of Donor Services (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 5, 2015
I receive trust and support from the leadership team at Michigan Blood. The team there truly care about each other and work toward continuous improvement.
Pros
Trust
Cons
Changing market
Poor Overall Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 24, 2015
Michigan Blood was a great place to work prior to the new CEO taking the helm in 2008. The Board is not doing a very good job of reigning him in. It is time that they find a new CEO before everything comes crumbling down. There is no job security. There is absolutely no work/life balance. The pay is not fair, considering you must sell your soul to the devil to get it. The management turns over faster than you can blink and the very few that remain are demoted. The culture is depressing and bleak with no growth potential.
Pros
Indeed.com
Cons
Most everything
Structurally damaged due to the nature of the business and the swing of the economy
Donor Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIMarch 18, 2015
Overall, Michigan Blood is a great business to work for and the majority of the individuals in each department are fair, understanding, and helpful when needed. The struggle Michigan Blood has, is that the business demand versus the donors want and passion is a little offset. Michigan does not focus enough attention on continuous improvement and for that reason they struggle keeping donors through the door (which getting donors through the doors is also a struggle). The benefits and the salary of the supervisor position is great for work/life balance and the work load is overwhelming. All and all Michigan Blood could be a great company if they honed down on the basics and fixed some minor deficiencies to get blood in the door and keep it in the door to meet the strict demand our hospital partners expect from us.
Pros
Benifits, Salary
Cons
Process deficiencies, Work life balance for the majority of the work force/, Upper management unstructured and unwilling to change
Great people, very poor management!
Donor Services (Former Employee) –  SaginawFebruary 12, 2015
For just one example, the CEO reaps a generous bonus (2 times the annual wage of most), while the employees receive movie tickets. Direct report managers are often unable to please, are clueless of the job details, and expect flawless work while ignoring any mistakes of their own. And yes, they encourage childish tattling.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management / Compensation
Help to Save Lifes -- Slave to the Company
Lucky to be able to retire. (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 1, 2015
If you want to work full time for part time status, this may be for you. Lack of work-life balance. Iregualr and variable hours. Addtional resposibilities are resulting in so many things being done, you become a jack of all and master of none. So overworked is management there has been double standards. The state wide standards have once again become regional and local. Too much road time just to get to a blood drive site to cover for lack of staff. 10-14 hour shift with travel, setup, and teardown. Fatique resulting in errors and low moral.
Pros
Helping to save lifes. Your co-workers are great.
Cons
Major changes. More on less people. Short staffing, Hire supervisors & Management from Outside.
Great
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIDecember 28, 2014
Great place to work and I would have loved to stay on at this company. But due to cut backs some of the sites had to be downsized.
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Donor Care Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 16, 2014
I spend each day working at a mobile or fixed site and set up for a blood drive with a group of staff members. Each person rotates between the entire process of registration, screening and phlebotomy.
Pros
Working with a great group of co-workers
Cons
long days and sometimes no lunches
the WORST company!!
phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 20, 2014
Do not apply here unless you plan on being a tattle tale, butt kisser, and disliked by your co-workers. The only way to advance in this company is favoritism. You will work all hours of the day from 3am till 10 pm and everything in between. This company only cares about getting blood in the door not about staff at all. You will rarely get a lunch, doesn't matter how long you are scheduled.. You will be lucky to get to use the restroom. Since the beginning of this year 33 people have quick. They have let go of people who were desperately needed, which has put more job duties onto us the phlebotomist. I go home everyday hating my job, bruised to all heck, and dreading the next day. The management act as though they care "tell us how we can help", you tell them and they roll there eyes, talk to you as if you are a child, and downgrade you at all times. This is the WORST company to work for!! Yeah, the pay is good but my sanity is more important. Besides my fellow phlebs, there isn't anything worth staying for here at this "elementary school".
Sincerely,
Looking to get out of this prison!!
Pros
The donors and fellow phleb's... oh and cookies!!
Cons
everything about this place is a con!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michigan Blood. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7