Michigan Humane Society Employee Reviews in United States

Poor management
Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 19, 2016
A typical day at the Westland Humane Society consists of working through lunches and breaks because they are currently extremely under staffed. They do offer benefits for full time staff which is a plus. During my employment I gained valuable customer service experience and increased my knowledge of caring for animals. Management is really good at making a hard job harder, by showing no encouragement or acknowledgement to their hard working employees. The staff supervisors are very young, with little or no previous experience, or education, in a supervisory position. This leads to an unprofessional and frustrating work environment. Co-workers are great, but the poor management leads to a very low morale and unhappy employees.The only thing that made the job worth it was the knowledge that I was making a difference in animal's lives. Eventually however, this knowledge was not enough to overcome being over-worked and under appreciated by management and I found employment elsewhere.
Pros
benefits for full time
Cons
poor management
Another job
Cleaning Associate (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 18, 2015
If you want to go to work and clean dogs and cats everyday have fun. You are also cleaning laundry and dishes and litter pans.
Ridiculously horrible place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIFebruary 10, 2015
This place is completely unprofessional. It's cliquey, the staff would rather talk amongst themselves than actually explain to clients what's wrong with their pet, not one person is actually happy, and they talk behind each other's backs. I was there for 3 months and I couldn't take it any longer. The techs act as if the receptionists are stupid, the receptionists are rude, and don't even get me started on the doctors. I was told countless times I needed to be meaner and not care about the clients or the animals. "Everyone has a sob story. Don't get caught up in it" was something I was told all because I let a client hug me when their dog was euthanized. It's the worst place ever. Don't take ever pets there. Go to a professional organization who actually cares about the animals and clients.
Pros
$12 an hour, awesome clients
Cons
horrible doctors, horrible coworkers
Look for Employment Elsewhere
ACT CSR (Former Employee) –  Detroit MIJanuary 21, 2015
At first I loved coming to work, but after 2 months I still felt like an outsider who was walking on egg shells. The staff is incredibly stuck up and are very cliquey. The management(if that's what you can call it), act like they are better than everyone else and have their heads so far up their own butts, they can't see how rude and unprofessional every staff member in their building is.

And their euthanasia turn over rate... Oh my god. It's ridiculous. I washed my hands of this company when I witnessed them kill a pregnant dog because she was a little fearful. Well of course she's fearful. She's pregnant and in a building with 50-75 strange dogs and people she's only been around for 7 days.

This place is HORRIBLE!
Pros
all staff meeting is pretty sweet
Cons
stuck up employees, incompetent management, horrible pay for the amount of work expected, etc
Good experiance.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 3, 2014
Everyone associated with this center has a very big heart and will to stop animal cruelty.
Pros
interacting with animals
Cons
was only a volunteer so no pay
Management is Horrible
Clinic Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2014
The management at this organization is horrible, specifically to the Detroit shelter. The Detroit location gets treated as the stepchild amongst all three locations. There are no opportunities for growth for anyone. They are always quick to terminate anyone without full investigation. Some individuals have worked decades at this organization and have been let go because of one minor mistake. They do not go above and beyond to help low income families and they look down on clients. The management is cut throat horrible towards it's employees. They do not give out bonuses for all the hard work everyone contributes. Senior management rarely visits the Detroit location and that says a lot about their bourgeois perspective on the city. However, most of their revenue comes from the city. The adoption staff changes like a woman's tampon because many individuals do not like working under the current adoption shelter manager. Half of the original animal cops who went above and beyond on their job are no longer there. At the annual meetings, most of the Detroit staff are sitting in the back or to the side because the other locations are treated at a different standard. In my tenure there, I can count on my hands how many times the CEO has visited the Detroit location let along played with any of the animals, but that's none of my business. If you apply to work as a ACT, be prepared to stay to yourself because many of your co-workers in the shelter will quit or get fired for something stupid. If you apply to work as a receptionist, it's better off that you have no other life priorities  more... because you won't be able to do anything else but work for them. If you apply to work as a veterinarian technician, be prepared to never get off on time and to get in trouble for many things you did not do. If you apply to work as a rescue driver, be prepared to work crazy hours with low pay and definitely no opportunities for growth in that department. Other than that, be prepared to get cursed out by clients every five minutes, spit on, things thrown at, and low pay. Or better yet, go work at the Westland or Rochester shelter.... You'll get treated better as an employee. If you don't believe me, look at the other reviews. Notice how they give the company 4 and 5 stars, but Detroit employees give the company 1 to 2 stars.  less
Pros
great co-workers and the animals
Cons
low pay, management, no opportunities for growth, roaches, safety
Fun and Rewarding Place to Work
Cleaning Associate (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIFebruary 14, 2014
I love working for MHS - Berman Center for Animal Care. Early morning shift, great hourly pay ($10hr), and quality animal care! They really care for the animals and their staff. It does get stressful and really busy at times, so a level head and time management skills are a must for this position. Yes, you have to smell and see gross stuff, but you also get to handle and care for amazing animals. Kitten and puppy play time everyday! There are pros & cons to every job. Most of the cons come from the position only being part-time with no benefits. The job itself is very rewarding and easy once you get a routine down. MUST love animals to keep this position a long time.
Pros
nice hourly pay, early hours, friendly work environment, great cause, comfortable uniform
Cons
limited hours, no benefits for part-time, stressful work situations, exposure to zoonotic diseases and/or dangerous animals
experience
Assistant Technician- History (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 10, 2013
When i first started at the Humane Society I loved it there it was great to come to work and help people and their animals, during the last 6-8 years the company development new CEO and directors and it slowly went downhill, i have a very high standards with my work ethics and my job performance and when a company is not preforming the way they should be it is hard to work there, it became very difficult to watch as i know money is important with the humane society the goal should be helping people with their pets not bleeding them dry at least in the Detroit location. my co-workers are some best people in world, and though the clients could be difficult they were also great to help. I am very organized and learn very quickly. My co-workers use to call me Radar(if your old enough to know what that means.) my 17 years there speaks for itself i believe.
Saving lives of animals
Volunteer Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MINovember 12, 2013
manage four shelter volunteer managers and responsible for approximately 600 active volunteers that cared for animals
Pros
saving animals lives, finding them homes
Cons
on-going battle with spay/neuter/treatment of animals
best animal clinic for your pet
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 6, 2013
I love walking small to big dogs outside the humane society. I love playing with them outside. The co-workers are very nice and kind
Cons
no lunch breaks

Want to know more about Michigan Humane Society?

Ask a question
Professional, busy, diverse
Maintenance Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 9, 2013
The best thing was working with professional managers. Working along with different people, and got to learn a lot.
Pros
expanded my knowledge
Nice
Clinic Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 5, 2013
I loved caring for animals. It's self satisfying to assist someone with adoptions.
Fun work environment
Animal Enrichment Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 1, 2013
Working with animals to improve overall quality of life and behavior. Very interesting work environment.
Internship
Animal Care Technician - Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit. MIMay 13, 2013
Maintain kennel for cats and dogs; socialize with animals, walk dogs; keep Animal shelter clean and sanitary.
learned what people do wrong to animal its hart braking.
The co-workers was very nice they talk to me. They where no hardest part at the job.
The most enjoyable part is to see happy cats and dogs getting adopted to good people.
Poor leadership, horrible (if any) team work
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIApril 29, 2013
Leadership, or the lack thereof, is taking it's toll on the organization.

Most everyone in a Director position is there based on Peter's principle, Not much room for growth unless you are owed something, incompetent leadership very long pointless meetings on a regular basis zero appreciation shown to those who work horrifying hours save countless animal lives and pour their heart into all they do, IT department may as well not exist, company cell phones do not allow texting, Micro management at it's worst, Poorly maintained budget - willing to splurge on weekend getaways to plan the budget when there are 4 perfectly good buildings to hold such meetings, Management is rarely around and when it is they dodge their employees

Advice to Senior Management: Get smart....you truly have no clue what you're doing. You think that because you have letters after your name you deserve your position but that's just not true. MHS needs leaders, not quiet people who make decisions behind closed doors and without the input of their team. Man up, speak up, and respect those who work for you since they are making you look good. The directors take way too much vacation time, spend WAY too much money at conferences and host far too many "donor appreciation nights.
Pros
great mission, discounted vet care, ok benefits, fun events, shelter staff is very dedicated and nice, taking your pets to the office is a lot of fun, compensation is high in comparison to other animal welfare groups, marketing department is smart quick and friendly
Cons
horrible upper management, poorly maintained budget
Disillusioned about the Nonprofit Sector After Working at MHS
Utility Person (Former Employee) –  All locations.April 18, 2013
What I have learned from studying nonprofits over the last decade is that in many cases, the actions in question are not illegal acts, nor are they perpetrated by those who set out to abuse the system. Rather they are the result of arrogance, sloppy ethical practices or simply inattention to being responsible stewards of resources, including the human resource.

Anyone who studies the history of the MHS will find that problems of accountability and transparency are not something new to the organization. In the late 1980's, the MHS almost went out of business. The executive director at the time left an unexplained deficit of $1.6 million. Historically, things have to get very, very bad before board members will start asking questions. Like many nonprofits, the MHS appears to be once again struggling with a crisis of governance and a lack of credible self-regulation.

Over the last decade or so, MHS has made a fundamental shift in their focus of helping animals to focusing more on numbers and money. Seven of every ten animals that walk in to MHS will not walk out alive. Yet, up until four board members found out about it and quit in June 2011, leadership was touting a 100% save rate.

There are six people earning over $100,000 per year. And, senior management lives the good life with generous salaries and perks including weekend getaways, a membership to the Detroit Athletic Club, and two cars in one year. Often enough on regular workdays, senior management can't be located. And that's at an organization that euthanizes 71% of the animals they take in. The Board of Directors has
  more... neglected their duty of providing adequate oversight of the organization.

With no oversight from the board, MHS has become a tyrannical dictatorship with a workplace culture of fear and negativity., Certainly the culture has become anything but supportive-in a job that is already emotional enough due to the nature of the work. I saw many employees mistreated, most often when senior management perceived that employee as a threat for whatever reason. Many people have left MHS over the last decade.

I very much enjoyed working with the animals and my coworkers, most of whom are some of the nicest, most dedicated people that anyone could ever meet. And that includes the folks in lower and mid level management who also work very hard. But, leadership-senior management has made MHS a troubled entity to be sure.
Pros
great cause. most people there are sincere compassionate and hard working, ok benefits.
Cons
no leadership, board may as well not exist, senior management answers to no one, cut throat management style
Volunteer- Cat Adoption Counselor,
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Rochester HillsMarch 13, 2013
 Screen potential pet adopters, review applications, and file paperwork
 Introduce pets to potential adopters and observe their interactions during the visit
 Educate adopters about their pet’s needs
 Update records, fill out information cards on cats, clean cages, interact and play with the cats to promote health
good place to work
Licensed Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIFebruary 12, 2013
This is a great place. Everyone there really cares about animals,
Pros
vet care
Cons
lots of overtime (required)
Great place to work, if just starting out in this field
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MichiganOctober 26, 2012
Love animals, Enjoyed the interaction with clients. Large 6 Dr. Practice.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
limited pay
Busy atmosphere. Nice people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 10, 2012
I arrive at work (various times), go up front to lobby. Sometimes I see as much as 20 animals in the lobby.

I learned that it is VERY important to have your animals get their annual shots, heartworm medicine and just overall have their general health looked at.

The management there treated their employees with respect due to the high volume of clients they see everyday. Managers were very helpful when you had questions. There are so many things to learn.

My co-workers (receptionists, doctors, assistants) were very nice to me and one another. They also helped when I had questions about a pet.

The hardest part of the job were the clients who had no repsect for us trying to help their pet. They would sometimes yell and scream at us.

The most enjoying part of my job was all the cute, fluffy, & playful animals.
Pros
at the meetings they always bought us pizza or some kind of treat.

2.8