Michigan Humane Society

Michigan Humane Society Employer Reviews

experience
Assistant Technician- History (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 10, 2013
When i first started at the Humane Society I loved it there it was great to come to work and help people and their animals, during the last 6-8 years the company development new CEO and directors and it slowly went downhill, i have a very high standards with my work ethics and my job performance and when a company is not preforming the way they should – more... be it is hard to work there, it became very difficult to watch as i know money is important with the humane society the goal should be helping people with their pets not bleeding them dry at least in the Detroit location. my co-workers are some best people in world, and though the clients could be difficult they were also great to help. I am very organized and learn very quickly. My co-workers use to call me Radar(if your old enough to know what that means.) my 17 years there speaks for itself i believe. – less
Saving lives of animals
Volunteer Programs Manager (Former Employee), Bingham Farms, MINovember 12, 2013
Pros: saving animals lives, finding them homes
Cons: on-going battle with spay/neuter/treatment of animals
manage four shelter volunteer managers and responsible for approximately 600 active volunteers that cared for animals
best animal clinic for your pet
Dog Walker (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 6, 2013
Cons: no lunch breaks
I love walking small to big dogs outside the humane society. I love playing with them outside. The co-workers are very nice and kind
Professional, busy, diverse
Maintenance Facility Manager (Former Employee), Rochester, MIOctober 9, 2013
Pros: expanded my knowledge
The best thing was working with professional managers. Working along with different people, and got to learn a lot.
Nice
Clinic Receptionist (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 5, 2013
I loved caring for animals. It's self satisfying to assist someone with adoptions.
Fun work environment
Animal Enrichment Volunteer (Current Employee), Westland, MIJuly 1, 2013
Working with animals to improve overall quality of life and behavior. Very interesting work environment.
Internship
Animal Care Technician - Intern (Former Employee), Detroit. MIMay 13, 2013
Maintain kennel for cats and dogs; socialize with animals, walk dogs; keep Animal shelter clean and sanitary.
learned what people do wrong to animal its hart braking.
The co-workers was very nice they talk to me. They where no hardest part at the job.
The most enjoyable part is to see happy cats and dogs getting adopted to good people.
Poor leadership, horrible (if any) team work
Development Associate (Former Employee), Bingham Farms, MIApril 29, 2013
Pros: great mission, discounted vet care, ok benefits, fun events, shelter staff is very dedicated and nice, taking your pets to the office is a lot of fun, compensation is high in comparison to other animal welfare groups, marketing department is smart quick and friendly
Cons: horrible upper management, poorly maintained budget
Leadership, or the lack thereof, is taking it's toll on the organization.

Most everyone in a Director position is there based on Peter's principle, Not much room for growth unless you are owed something, incompetent leadership very long pointless meetings on a regular basis zero appreciation shown to those who work horrifying hours save countless animal – more... lives and pour their heart into all they do, IT department may as well not exist, company cell phones do not allow texting, Micro management at it's worst, Poorly maintained budget - willing to splurge on weekend getaways to plan the budget when there are 4 perfectly good buildings to hold such meetings, Management is rarely around and when it is they dodge their employees

Advice to Senior Management: Get smart....you truly have no clue what you're doing. You think that because you have letters after your name you deserve your position but that's just not true. MHS needs leaders, not quiet people who make decisions behind closed doors and without the input of their team. Man up, speak up, and respect those who work for you since they are making you look good. The directors take way too much vacation time, spend WAY too much money at conferences and host far too many "donor appreciation nights. – less
Disillusioned about the Nonprofit Sector After Working at MHS
Utility Person (Former Employee), All locations.April 18, 2013
Pros: great cause. most people there are sincere compassionate and hard working, ok benefits.
Cons: no leadership, board may as well not exist, senior management answers to no one, cut throat management style
What I have learned from studying nonprofits over the last decade is that in many cases, the actions in question are not illegal acts, nor are they perpetrated by those who set out to abuse the system. Rather they are the result of arrogance, sloppy ethical practices or simply inattention to being responsible stewards of resources, including the human – more... resource.

Anyone who studies the history of the MHS will find that problems of accountability and transparency are not something new to the organization. In the late 1980's, the MHS almost went out of business. The executive director at the time left an unexplained deficit of $1.6 million. Historically, things have to get very, very bad before board members will start asking questions. Like many nonprofits, the MHS appears to be once again struggling with a crisis of governance and a lack of credible self-regulation.

Over the last decade or so, MHS has made a fundamental shift in their focus of helping animals to focusing more on numbers and money. Seven of every ten animals that walk in to MHS will not walk out alive. Yet, up until four board members found out about it and quit in June 2011, leadership was touting a 100% save rate.

There are six people earning over $100,000 per year. And, senior management lives the good life with generous salaries and perks including weekend getaways, a membership to the Detroit Athletic Club, and two cars in one year. Often enough on regular workdays, senior management can't be located. And that's at an organization that euthanizes 71% of the animals they take in. The Board of Directors has neglected their duty of providing adequate oversight of the organization.

With no oversight from the board, MHS has become a tyrannical dictatorship with a workplace culture of fear and negativity., Certainly the culture has become anything but supportive-in a job that is already emotional enough due to the nature of the work. I saw many employees mistreated, most often when senior management perceived that employee as a threat for whatever reason. Many people have left MHS over the last decade.

I very much enjoyed working with the animals and my coworkers, most of whom are some of the nicest, most dedicated people that anyone could ever meet. And that includes the folks in lower and mid level management who also work very hard. But, leadership-senior management has made MHS a troubled entity to be sure. – less
Volunteer- Cat Adoption Counselor,
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Rochester HillsMarch 13, 2013
 Screen potential pet adopters, review applications, and file paperwork
 Introduce pets to potential adopters and observe their interactions during the visit
 Educate adopters about their pet’s needs
 Update records, fill out information cards on cats, clean cages, interact and play with the cats to promote health
good place to work
Licensed Veterinary Technician (Current Employee), Rochester Hills, MIFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: vet care
Cons: lots of overtime (required)
This is a great place. Everyone there really cares about animals,
Great place to work, if just starting out in this field
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee), Westland, MichiganOctober 26, 2012
Pros: working with great people
Cons: limited pay
Love animals, Enjoyed the interaction with clients. Large 6 Dr. Practice.
Busy atmosphere. Nice people
Receptionist (Former Employee), Westland, MIOctober 10, 2012
Pros: at the meetings they always bought us pizza or some kind of treat.
I arrive at work (various times), go up front to lobby. Sometimes I see as much as 20 animals in the lobby.

I learned that it is VERY important to have your animals get their annual shots, heartworm medicine and just overall have their general health looked at.

The management there treated their employees with respect due to the high volume of clients – more... they see everyday. Managers were very helpful when you had questions. There are so many things to learn.

My co-workers (receptionists, doctors, assistants) were very nice to me and one another. They also helped when I had questions about a pet.

The hardest part of the job were the clients who had no repsect for us trying to help their pet. They would sometimes yell and scream at us.

The most enjoying part of my job was all the cute, fluffy, & playful animals. – less
I love this job.
Animal Caretaker/Adoption Counselor (Current Employee), Sterling Heights, MISeptember 28, 2012
Pros: be around animals
Cons: funded by donations
I take care of all the animals. I clean kennels. I clean the facility. I do laundry and dishes. I also do adoption paperwork.
Product and fun workplace to help less fortunate pets
Volunteer (Former Employee), Westland, MIJune 13, 2012
In this position I help reduce stress and improve the dogs' chances of adoption by walking dogs outside of the adoption center, teaching the dog his/her name, engaging dogs in exploring, playing, and interacting with people, and spending "quality time" outside of cage and shelter environment. Duties are performed at the Center for Animal Care and outdoors.