Michigan State University Employee Reviews

Fun loving but still working hard
Cook (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIFebruary 16, 2018
This job made working fun. Breaks were given when they were due! Everything was explained well and expectations were communicated well. I loved working with the ever changing students and getting to know new people.
Good work environment
- Prepare presentation for conferences
- Nice working environment
- Faculty are very helpful
Great for grad students
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIFebruary 14, 2018
I was a grad student here. Stipend was fine for a place like East Lansing, but the health insurance wasn't good, if you were a married grad student. Fun place though.
Huge exposure to various culters
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIFebruary 11, 2018
A place where you get to meet people from different backgrounds. Good guidance is provided before assigning the tasks. Constant feedback was provided for continuous improvement.
Part-Time Undergraduate Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIFebruary 10, 2018
I have enjoyed the people I worked with at Michigan State University. The wages were fair and hours were fine, just limited hours were available to work because little help was needed for the research projects.
A very competitive place to work. Management is very supportive. I work on research projects most of the day.
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MichiganFebruary 9, 2018
A very good place to work in an international recognized university. I only have a part time job with a fix term. I conduct research on Latino issues under very strict time lines and due dates.
Self paced
Professorial Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIFebruary 5, 2018
My job was mostly self paced, as I did research for a professor at Michigan State. The professors were kind and understanding, and the work itself was manageable and fun.
Productive work place
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIFebruary 5, 2018
Pleasant provides an excellent work environment. The work culture is relaxed and conducive but productive. I would recommend it to a friend. The cold in winter can be a bit too much.
Good Group of Peers
Instructor and Proctor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 4, 2018
This is a great place to work. Since I am only there on a PRN basis, it would be hard to describe the day to day work flow. The staff I work with are kind and helpful.
fun place
On call (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 25, 2018
I had fun working at MSU I had fun learning new things. Everything was hands on and it was just a good place to learn new things. The hardest part was when the students and the families came back and it was thousands of people there
Meaningful Job and Perfect Teamwork
(Chinese International Student) Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 23, 2018
I provided research support by organizing three years of interview recording and performed comparative analysis on them. In addition, I contributed in the research with technical paper published. The most important parts I have learned are time management and team work. All the team members are responsible for different parts. We all have to work together and prepare our own parts for the paper in the limited time.
Fast pace working culture, lots of outside work
Field Worker (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at Michigan state university. I was able to enjoy the outside. I harvested vegetable and kept the plots weeded. I also worked in the greenhouses with flowers and vegetables, where they do research.
Pros
Working outside, decent breaks
I was just a student
Undergraduate Student (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 12, 2018
I was just a student at Michigan State. It's a classic Big-Ten school. Plenty of classes to choose from and great professors as well, and there's a party atmosphere at the university. You can get a great education if you put the time in - your call.
Good Launching Point
Tree Fruit Genetics Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 10, 2018
As a student Lab Assistant this was a great way to gain skills on my resume and spectacular references. I was able to attend University full-time and create my own working schedule in the lab. I would recommend a student lab possition in the Horticulture department of MSU any day.
Pros
Flexible working schedule
Cons
low pay
Good work environment
MSU Union Welcome Desk Staff (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 7, 2018
MSU is a great place to work as they are very flexible to work around your school schedule. It is a very stress free and relaxed work environment that I really enjoyed.
Great Environment
Orientation Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 5, 2018
Wonderful coworkers and incoming students weren't too bad. There was free breakfast and coffee at my station. Often if a job was completed early, there would be extra 'busy work' for those who wanted the extra hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short staffed at times
Work Study
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 4, 2018
I worked in the cafeteria. I loved the environment. I was allowed to work as many hours available. The supervisors were very professional and amazing to work with! Would 100% recommend this opportunity to students and others.
Pros
Great enviroment all-round
It Was Enjoyable in General
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 31, 2017
I worked there as a clerical aide with emphasis on bookkeeping for two years. A typical day at work consisted of running reports and correcting transaction coding in the general ledger, entering payroll and completing monthly and quarterly tasks to be looked over by the higher ranks in various other departments associated with university finances. Management was laid back and competent in completing their job tasks, often able to come to solutions to problems themselves. The management was also courteous to both employees and department visitors alike.The workplace culture was relaxed as well. There were few flare ups in the fireplace, so to speak, and everyone tried to be friendly with one another and get along.

The most difficult part of the job for me personally was running monthly reports, simply because I found the the electric "hum" of the printer would almost put me to sleep. I am also not a very social person, so I ended up making myself look bad by passing up most of the company get togethers and not being as inclined to engage my coworkers as I was expected to be.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the lunch hour. It gave me a chance to "reset" my brain and return to the office chair with more focus afterwards.
Pros
Lunch hour, Friendly Environment, Convenient Location, Opportunity to Learn New Skills
Cons
The Assignment Didn't Last Quite Long Enough
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 26, 2017
Worked as student assistant. I like the friendly and collaborative work environment and coworkers. The job is not stressful at all. Reasonable workload and pay.
Great
Intercultural Aide (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 20, 2017
I enjoyed working at Michigan state, they help you with achieving professional skills to make you more marketable to employers when you start looking for internships or decide to look for a career.