Michigan State University Employee Reviews

On campus student job with leadership role
Supervisor for Residence Education & Housing (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 28, 2016
Working at Michigan State University as a Supervisor for Residence Education & Housing has really helped my professional development. Every day is different and guests need assistance with all sorts of issues. I work with a great team of people and manage over twenty five employees. Further, I have been taught and trained by great managers. It can be difficult sometimes giving someone bad news or executing in disciplinary action, although it is extremely necessary. The most effective choices aren't always the most popular. However, overall, I really enjoy my job due to the amount of interaction I have with people and relationship building skills I have acquired.
Professional and reputable workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 24, 2016
Always opportunities to learn and grow. Workday is always productive. Management is outstanding. Great place to work.
Excelent place to work.
Accountant/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 7, 2016
Highly recommend. It is hard to get in, but once you are working there your life can be very quiet. You can always look for new opportunities within the MSU and move on in your career.
Pros
Salary, benefits, work/life balance, trainning
productve and fun place to work
Spartan Book Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 20, 2015
Fast paced and all ways busy. I learned to do 5 things at one time. The management team was great with working together to get the job done. The hardest thing was dealing with are student part time help. We always made light of things that would go wrong and worked at a team to fix what ever came are way
Pros
Free meals and drinks, and health insurance
Cons
never finishing a project
Good Research experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fennville, MIDecember 20, 2015
Michigan State University was a very good place for me to get my foot in the door when it came to research experience. All my co-workers were very hard working and fun to be around. Field research is conducted in the summer and is filled with tedious work that requires extra working hours. In the fall and winter research shifted to bio-assays that required lots of inside work making fly diet and maintaining fly colonies.
Great workplace.
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 16, 2015
Great workplace. Co workers were very bright along with the students. Team work was very important and was used in every aspect to get things done.
Its msu
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 10, 2015
Although my area of expertise was not virology--it turned out to very fascinating. Especially attending a conference in Japan. I worked with one of the top virologist in the area. Although he has passed I will never forget all that he taught me.
Pros
Great learning experience
It's a school
FIELD TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 9, 2015
Reviewing this here is essentially reviewing my time in grad school. I did a lot of different things. Working with other grads and undergrads was my favorite part. Sadly, MSU was not great for preparing any of us for life outside of academia, even though I only went for a Master's. "Management" varied from really great, helpful, and competent, to condescending, disorganized, and difficult to work with. I worked for a lot of people, which was pretty good, but I am looking forward to a more stable job where I have more time to get good at something. I really loved my coworkers for the most part at MSU though. I learned that overall, graduate school can be isolating, and I miss working on a team and with people.
Pros
Variety, flexible, got to teach
Cons
Jobs all temporary, no structure
great tier 1 academic research university
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 2, 2015
great place to learn, work, and network
many opportunities for STEM students
highly active public research university
not far from Detroit
has a med school and vet school
affiliated with surrounding medical institutions
great place to study ecology, fisheries and wildlife, engineering, biomedical sciences
scenic campus
renowned horticultural centers
botanical garden
facility for rare isotope beams
Best Plave I have ever worked.
Arborist 2 (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 30, 2015
I work with an amazing group of highly qualified arborists who take pride in their job and the campus that we maintain. It is an extremely fun and safe environment to be a part of. Very focused on personal growth and development.
Benefits
Cons
Important work that creates a strong team bond.
NIGHT RECEPTIONIST SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  South Neighborhood MSU East Lansing MichiganNovember 27, 2015
A very flexible and supportive environment. As a team employees do very imortant work providing students and other guests with hospitality, safety, and security. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I made a difference, and doing my best to enrich another persons time at Michigan State University. The hardest part was balancing an overnight job with a day time school schedule.
Pros
amazing staff, works with school schedule as much as possible
Cons
small staff, minimal support staff during time of shifts, knowing when to be PIC (person in charge) and when to call up
The students were the best part of working there
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 16, 2015
The office management has changed fortunately. When I was there it was very inflexible and not at all family friendly with a poor work/life balance. Not at all a fun atmosphere to work. The parking was good.
Pros
Students, good parking
Cons
Inflexible, unfriendly
Creative work environment conducive for expansion
Choreographer (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 12, 2015
A wonderful way to connect with my alma mater, and continue to utilize the skills I have developed as a dance teacher, choreographer, and also dance/movement therapist. Such a fun work environment where I have the ability to collaborate and create with other professionals in the field. I also enjoy having the opportunity to teach at the undergraduate level. However this project is temporary and contractual, and I am looking for full or part-time employment in the field of mental health care.
Pros
Fun, artistic, collaborative work enviornment
Cons
Contractural, lower compensation
Starting my Career journey
Database Manager (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 11, 2015
I had an awesome start to my journey in life, things got a little rocky along the way but I take every experience as a learning opportunity and am very grateful for those who played a positive role in my advancement.
Little room for improvement
radiologic technologist assistant (Current Employee) –  East LansingNovember 2, 2015
After spending 3 years there you have to personally attempt to find ways to make the job challenging. Spending downtime researching new symptoms to help question the next patients.
Michigan State University
Senior Instructor (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 25, 2015
It was the first place that I learned English at and teach as well. Michigan State University, mean to me a lot. I consider it like my mother who taught me everything about everything. Therefore, it inside me wherever I go.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Huge school
Great Job
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 18, 2015
Easy job helping residents with their everyday needs. Sit at a desk by yourself on the computer. Lots of great customer service experience.
Loved working here!
LBGT Resource Center Student Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 26, 2015
Working at the LBGT resource center was an awesome experience that I am glad for. It made me a better student, organizer, coordinator, and a more initiative-driven person which I am grateful for. I loved the job culture even if we had our few rough patches. I loved being able to have my own independence of when I would have to start projects and feeling great when I had accomplished tasks for that day.
Michigan State University
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 25, 2015
During my time as a lab instructor, I learned effective ways to help others learn new material and software programs. I enjoyed my time in this position.
MSU work
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 14, 2015
My work is mostly based oversees. I oversee research projects linked to public health. In addition, I develop grants and scientific papers for peer-reviewed publication.
Pros
Flexible working environment
Cons
Based on a very quiet city.

4.3