Michigan State University

Michigan State University Employer Reviews

Exciting work environment
Server / Front of House (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Great work environment.
Cons: School breaks and time off without pay.
• Fast paced and fun. I learned more about Culinary Services and what it takes to meet production. Management and co-workers were great.
Good people to work with.
Building Maintenance/Custodian (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great campus and friendly students.
Cons: Management can be a little iffy and occasionally plays favorites.
Coworkers are great.
The work is very productive.
Campus is beautiful.
Students are friendly.
Greta benefits if you can get in full time.
A great place to work and team oriented
Student Clerical Assistant (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIMarch 19, 2015
It's a great place to work and the management care about their employees wellbeing. Everyone that is affiliated with this companies are like a family.
productive and fun workplace
Arabic tutor (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIMarch 11, 2015
Pros: you can choose your schedule
Cons: n/a
Working at Michigan State University has been a great experience. First of all, It is a fast past environment. In addition, you have to be super organized especially regarding time management since you are a student and a tutor simultaneously. As well it teaches you patience, since tutoring a foreign language is not an easy task. You learn to see potential in people and you learn how to communicate with different mentality of people.
At the end of the week, you fill out a report stating the hours that you worked and the progress of each student and what you have tutored them.
Moreover, the management is great they do care about both the student and the tutors and they are always ready to listen to your suggestions. As well they let the tutors take initiative in projects.
Finally, the coworkers are really friendly and supportive.
I loved working at MSU
Culinary Assistant (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIMarch 11, 2015
Pros: free lunch meals
It was great working with the students. I worked in the Omlet station and took orders for the students. I prepared cooked as well as served them as they become complete. My coworkers were lovely and very entertaining. The hardest part of working there was actually being around the food and trying to be on a diet.
Able to learn new ideas and implement them
Administrative Assistant I. Responsibilities (Former Employee), East Lansing, MichiganFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: close to east lansing downtown.
Cons: parking
able to advance. Training available to learn new skills. Kept busy.
Had a supportive supervisor.

I love MSU and working there.
Grad TA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Typical graduate TA duties. Run labs for undergrads, grade papers, meet with them for office hours when they don't understand something. Professors that oversee the labs are generally helpful and supportive of TAs.
Nice and Easy
Cashier/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Be able to handle lots of people at the same time. Lots of friendly faces willing to help you succeed. Every day you must count money and scan cards. It teaches accountability and customer service.
Undergraduate assistant
Department of Surgery, Student Lab Assistant (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: a lot of experience
Cons: short amount of time to accomplish all of work.
Assist P.I and researchers on various projects, and laboratory maintenance. Opportunity to learn research techniques while still taking undergraduate courses. Helpful environment, everyone is willing to teach.
Nice Work and Study Place
Lab Assistant (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIFebruary 9, 2015
Finish the course of that day and participate as much as I can in the lab to do research and learn how to design experiments, check instruments, operate fixtures in the right way, etc.
Good place to work.
Purchasing Expeditor (Current Employee), Lansing, MIFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: great medical plan coverage
Cons: continuous training of requesting departments needed due to continuos personnel change.
Great Group of people to work with. A bit overwhelming at times but fun place to work. Lots of help from co-workers. Employee parking is a bit costly, should be free for employees.
Good job security
RF Specialist (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: half off tuition
Cons: must be politiacllay correct
Good place to work. Friendly managers and interesting coworkers. The hardest part of the job is getting used to working in a large environment. best part of the job is being apart of the university infrastructure.
A good place to learn more and try new ideas
Research Associate (Current Employee), Lansing, MIJanuary 22, 2015
As a researcher, you usually define your own schedule. That does not mean you show at work only few times a week. That implies that you can stay at night or do your work on weekends, which is very critical sometimes, e.g. the experiments go well. When I joined CVRC, I was fascinated by composites and their remarkable properties. Since then I have got more and more involed in composites design, manfacturing, processing, joining and testing (destructive) along with NDE/SHM of composite structures. Management has many levels and as any other burocratic structure is relatively slow. But everything in your hands: if you are actively pushing, it can be done quite fast.
It's Graduate School
Graduate Student (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIJanuary 22, 2015
Being a graduate student at Michigan State was challenging and rewarding, just as graduate school should be. The faculty was very supportive of one another and there are world class instruments to conduct research with, often as a user yourself.
Review of Employment at Michigan State University
Contract & Grant Accountant (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIJanuary 9, 2015
Working at Michigan State University has been a privilege. My coworkers are friendly and knowledgeable. Management promotes a great work/life balance and cares about the work that is being done. I learn new things constantly and am regularly assigned new tasks or special projects. Management does not micro-manage which is a huge plus in my opinion.
Outdoors
Student Field Technician (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: got to work outside
Cons: some days were long and hot
Planted crops such as potatoes, corn, beans, wheat, and a variety of flowers. Also, kept them up to date on chemical sprays and maintenance sprays.
Independent and great for teaching time managment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), East Lansing, MIDecember 30, 2014
A typical day at work:
- List set of objectives to be completed within the day.
- Plan out the experiment in lab notebook.
- Do the experiment.
- Collect data and results.
- Analyze results and record into lab notebook.
This lab teaches great laboratory techniques such as sterile technique, genetic engineering, media prep, etc.

Experiments conducted were all plan out by me which allow me to have great control in the lab. My co-workers were very friendly. We all help each other out such as restocking lab supplies for everybody.

The hardest part of the job is trying to get the older lab equipment to work correctly. Being independent and having control of your experiments were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Productive and premier University
Research Assistant (Former Employee), East Lansing, USADecember 25, 2014
I completed my PhD under the Physics department at Michigan State University (MSU), MSU has provided me with some of the world's best faculty and trainers for my research. The facilities provided for experimental Physics are excellent.
Fast paced; Multi-functional; Always something new to learn
Department Business Manager (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIDecember 18, 2014
Pros: people and multifunctional aspect of job
Cons: bureaucracy
A typical day at work involves being multifunctional; must be able to carry oneself managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Never having worked in academia, it has been quite challenging to learn the culture and university bureaucracy. Learning job tasks; personnel management; univeristy finance system; SAP; procurement; contracts and grants. Coworkers and colleagues involve daily interaction with Dean, Department Chairs, University VP's, directors and Medical Doctors. Hardest part of job is functioning within the university culture trying to move or gain consensus for moving tasks to a state of completion. Hardest part of job is the learning curve against tasks and deadlines. Most enjoyable part of job is the people; learning new aspects of job; and being constantly engaged.
Review
Web Design (Current Employee), East Lansing, MIDecember 9, 2014
Michigan State University offers many opportunities. Work was done online and made my schedule very flexible for school and finding other employment.

1 2 3 4 5