Michigan Technological University

Michigan Technological University Employee Reviews

Flexible hours, good co-workers
Michigan Tech MEEM Dept. Student Office Assistant (Current Employee), Houghton, MIApril 19, 2015
Pros: Flexible work hours, friendly co-workers and supervisors
Overall fairly well balanced in my position. Flexibility is great and staff that I work with are friendly. Most difficult part of this position is just fitting in the time between work and school, but like I mentioned the flexibility helps work around this. Most enjoyable part is the co-workers and supervisors.
Good place to stay
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIApril 6, 2015
Good education,especially automotive. Snows most time of the year and no industry nearby.Safe campus but nothing much to do around
Awesome Job
Student Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee), Houghton, MIMarch 27, 2015
The boses were very kind. The hours were hard, but was a very rewarding job for entry level. Expect to be tested mentally.
A good place to work
Educational coordinator (Former Employee), Houghton, MIFebruary 25, 2015
A very good school to study, but payment to staff is low. People are nice. Very cold and small town. Be prepared for over 6 months winter.
Very good experience working there
Student supervisor, Catering (Former Employee), michiganFebruary 25, 2015
A place where lot can be learnt. encouraging and supporting co-workers. Well organized management. Perfect environment for entry level job seekers to gain some experience
Nice, friendly, very professionism
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Houghton, MIFebruary 21, 2015
Nice, friendly, very professionalism. The co-works here are very willing to help and the working environment is very benign. Also teaming working is very important here
Good Research University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIFebruary 20, 2015
Good Research University. Enjoyed my stay/study thoroughly and research is pretty good. More attention is given towards research than towards teaching in classroom. Self motivated individuals will find this place a heaven for working atmosphere.
Monday is a teaching day
Graduate Teaching Instructor (Current Employee), Houghton, MIFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: teaching experience, working with students, fast-paced environment
Cons: geographical isolation
A typical Monday involves making thoughtful yet fast decisions and maintaining a sense of flexibility when working with students, advisors, and administrators. After a meeting about my Master's Project, I begin emailing my students to remind them about upcoming deadlines. I prepare materials for the upcoming class and solidify my lesson plans before going to teach.

In my Technical Communication class, – more... I enjoy challenging my students to think on their feet and solve problems ethically and creatively. Using prompts, in-class writings, and discussions, I gear my students towards working in a globalized market with diverse audiences. I devote part of the course schedule to professional development and remind my students to prepare for the job market by updating their resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles. I encourage my students to participate as much as possible and remind them to email me if issues or questions arise as the class comes to a close.

Once I am finished teaching, I'll return to my office for office hours. In the past, I've counseled students on developing their professional experiences to cater to their career trajectories and actively seek out opportunities to enhance their educational experiences. – less
Student Helper
Energy Analyst (Former Employee), Houghton, MIFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: pay
Just filed bills, found out were energy could be saved. As a student helper the pay was not very good and could greatly be improved upon
Good
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houghton, MIFebruary 8, 2015
1 safe campus
2 nice people
3 quiet and suitable for study
4 good advisor
5 years of academic training
6 national lab experience
7 computation resources
Great Job, Great People, Great Learning Experience
Tier 2 Student IT Computer Technician (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJanuary 13, 2015
Working in Michigan Tech's IT Operations, I enjoyed every day I was working. Like every job there are many days that are stressful, like having incompetent people as co-workers or difficult jobs. However, I loved the job. The job let me learn much more about computers and IT is really about.
Graphic Design Specialist (Current Employee), Houghton, MIDecember 15, 2014
Great environment, friendly, face paced, opportunities for professional growth.
A new and exciting experience
GTA- Mathematics Department (Former Employee), Houghton, MIDecember 6, 2014
I was a Teaching Assistant in Math Department at Michigan Technological University.
The department offers Masters and P.h.Ds in different areas of Math. The professors there are very qualified and easy to work with.
A typical day at work included taking and giving classes. So my day would go from studying , doing homework , researching and teaching, preparing for next day, holding office hours, and – more... grading. This was an incredible experience. I got to learn a lot about teaching, from my mentor and also from my classmates. How to organize a lesson, to write exams and quizzes, how to be helpful to the students. Sometimes I would feel like I and the other TAs were a team. We could count on each other when we had difficulties or uncertainties. Being at Michigan Tech was somehow an adventure. It was a life changing experience. A new place so far from home, so many new people, and a lot, a lot of snow. The hardest part was at the beginning. I had to teach in a foreign language. And be responsible for my very own class. The most enjoyable part of being a teacher is when my students would understand me and that would reflect in their grades. The fact that I was still a student myself, helped me to understand better my students. I am proud to be a "husky"! Now I'm looking forward to new adventures. – less
productive place with passionate people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIOctober 17, 2014
it's a great place to learn new skills with talented teammate.
Teaching others is teaching myself
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Current Employee), Houghton, MIOctober 9, 2014
It's quite a great time spend in Houghton as a tutor. As a university-paid graduate student, the working time is very flexible. Basically when there's a office hour or grading job, or tutoring hour, student may come in and asking questions about subjects learned in the class. I payment is just enough for paying the tuition and surviving here. I like the job, because I'd teaching, the way I enjoy it is to spend a joyful time with students and get the concepts reviewed, at that moment I'm not just a tutor, I'm also a student who's eager to learn those almost forgotten knowledge.
Great place to get your education
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIOctober 8, 2014
The university has a diverse background and also host some of the best scientist in the country.
Improved my experience in embedded system programming
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee), houghtonOctober 5, 2014
Courses: “Embedded Systems Engineering” and “Physics”
- Taught students how to use various peripherals of a microcontroller, various communication protocols like SPI, I2C and UART. And also assisted them with their course final projects.
- Grader: “Computer Architecture” and “Hardware-software integration”
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houghton, MISeptember 22, 2014
Did graduate student work. Worked with other graduate students.
Research in a Comfortable Situation
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJuly 22, 2014
Completely flexible research time. Pleasant people, decent pay.

Sometimes details by adviser was not specific and therefore not easily done. Sometimes too lenient on deadlines because of an insanely busy schedule of the adviser.

Overall--great place to work at.
Productive and Fun working place
MICHIGAN TECH PROJECT DESIGN (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJune 21, 2014
I learned technical experiences and the environment is fantastic.

About Michigan Technological University

Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university – Read more

Michigan Technological University Salaries