Michigan Technological University Employee Reviews

This place is great
Separation Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 18, 2018
come on, this is just formatting issues from the resume section. for real? are you really going to make me type out 150 characters for a job that doesn't really exist?
Frustrated
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJanuary 26, 2018
The hardest part was the lack of collaboration and lack of funding for projects. If I were to choose to go to graduate school again, I would choose a different school.
Machine Learning Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJanuary 22, 2018
I learned a lot while I was at Michigan Technological University. I expanded my skill set and it made me industry ready. I would recommend this place to others.
Amazing place to work
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 22, 2017
Love MTU Friendly warm community , kind, nice people , you enjoy work with them, peaceful and quite place to have progress without stress, paid well for each level
Great minds among researchers
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 7, 2017
I enjoyed my experience as a student and part-time employee at Michigan Tech. The department of Mechanical Engineering - Engineering Mechanics is a great place to work, with professional and friendly colleagues. The hardest part of being in Michigan Tech is connectivity, especially during winters.
Winter is however the best time to be in Houghton, where the university is located. Averaging 200 inches of snow, the place is simply beautiful. Round the year, there are a lot of opportunities offered to the employees to ensure a work-life balance.
Pros
Good work-life balance
Cons
Poor connectivity
Good place to start
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MINovember 14, 2017
A much slower pace atmosphere than I'm used to with a clique culture that isn't very welcoming. Low pay is the hardest part and the union and/or university doesn't believe in the updating their pay scales based on the minimum wage increases.It's a good place to start if you are young and have time to advance but otherwise hard to be appreciated for what you do.
Productive and flexible workplace.
STEM After-School Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIOctober 12, 2017
There is a lot of flexibility in my work-school-life schedule. The people I work with are very enjoyable, especially my managers. They are great motivators to work hard and be a very productive employee.
A research university in a mall town
Student (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIOctober 2, 2017
A research university located in a quite and nice small town. Not many people in the town. Sometimes feel isolated, but it might be good for research and study.
Good place to work as a student to make some spending money.
Peer Assistant for Excel (Former Employee) –  Administration BuildingSeptember 27, 2017
I got this job in order to make some spending money throughout the semester. It was an easy job that required being a teaching assistant in class twice a week for an hour each time. It also required grading papers outside of the class periods.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 20, 2017
Amazing working environment. The people are super friendly and are always will to help you out. You get to learn a lot. You feel empowered and relevant at the workplace.
First time in the US
Research Intern, Dr. Adrienne Minerick (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 15, 2017
It was the first time I worked in the US laboratories and it was absolutely wonderful. The professor to the graduate students, everyone were very understanding and empathetic towards a 3rd year undergrad student. I hope to go back again sometime!
good place
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 14, 2017
Michigan Technological University is a good place. I, as a visiting scholar, doing research at Chemistry department. I learning much knowledge, such as writing, analysis, etc.
Great Place to study and work!
Graduate Research / Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 12, 2017
Michigan Tech provides quality education.Great Place to study and work!. Though it is little bit far from the center, living cost is very cheap and very good environment for studies.
I worked as a part-time tutor so benefits were not an option.
Chemistry Coach, Study Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIAugust 17, 2017
Excellent place to work. I worked at the Chemistry Learning Center and loved every second of it. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the job criteria was great for developing my professional skills.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIAugust 17, 2017
Good life work balance with a good training plan.
Many opportunities to get involved in outside activities with the students such as sports, winter carnival etc.
Fun, positive
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIAugust 11, 2017
Fun and positive teaching experience. Plenty of hands on learning as well. hours are flexible but limited. The CNSA program also has a lot of growing potential so there is a very heavy interest in finding new ideas.
Pros
Hands on experience with students and material
Productive and research based
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MichiganJuly 31, 2017
Small place, with lots of good research around. But needs better tie ups with companies. Professors are dynamic and energetic. Not the best place if you are looking for jobs after studying here. Great place for research.
Great learning experience with a conducive work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 19, 2017
My research group comprised of people from diverse cultures and areas of world, and it was an amazing experience to work with them. The work place was challenging but the team livened up atmosphere everyday. Moreover, the place is amazing to stay with plenty of outdoor activities to reset your brain. Overall, an ideal place and environment to work.
This is the school I attend
student (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 3, 2017
This is the school I attend and not a place of business that I work at. My typical day at school lasts from about 8 am to about 5 pm. I have learned useful skill in applied physics and engineering.
Fine workplace
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIMay 17, 2017
Compensation was fairly good, but the living area isn't that great. Not much to do up in the great white north. Benefits were fine.
Winters will change your perception