Michigan Technological University Employee Reviews

Great!
Front End Developer (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIApril 13, 2017
Great place to work and live, competent staff members and management. It is crucial that one networks with the large campus in order to grow their career.
Great, stable jobs but just student jobs so no room for advancement.
Lab Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIApril 10, 2017
Work is very similar everyday, very routine. I've learned how to properly teach techniques and topics to students. Grading takes the longest and is the hardest as I want the students to do well but chemistry is not everyone's strong suit. But meeting the students and teaching them chemistry is my favorite part. I love seeing the look on their faces as they final understand a topic.
University Job
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganApril 3, 2017
A typical research technician job. It's hard work, but you learn a lot. Sometimes the help you need doesn't come from the person you need it from, but in the end that's ok.
Pros
Educational environment
Cons
Lack of support
easy job and fun to work with sports
Michigan Tech Intramural (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIMarch 25, 2017
Normally we show up 15 minutes before the game begans and set up the field. We officiate all of the rec sports at Michigan tech. It is fun to work with other students who also enjoy sports. Must be able to handle conflict and difficult sitiuations
Horrible.
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIMarch 20, 2017
Training program is nonexistent, asking questions was a burden to people. The only good thing is working with other cool students but a lot of people here are snobby.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Management is awful, pay was pretty low, lots of
Great People.
Research Engineering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIMarch 15, 2017
Its a fun loving place. Being a research oriented university, most of the work is done to create something new. This is the sort of work environment i like. Great Town!!
Fun Place
Dining Services (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 20, 2017
Very nice place to work. Great work culture and management is also very good. I have been working for over a year now and never had a problem working in this place.
Friendly and Supportive University
Math Learning Center Coach (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJanuary 31, 2017
Working at the Math Learning Center here has been a great experience. Everyone is so friendly and supportive. The hours are extremely flexible, so I can perfectly fit it around my class schedule. I love math, and that just makes it even more enjoyable. It's hard sometimes when people ask you questions about a concept you're unsure of, but everyone understands that we all have strengths and weaknesses in certain areas, so no one holds it against you. What makes the job even better is that the Executives occasionally hold trainings that you can attend to strengthen certain math topics.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Training
Phenomenal Place to Work
Laboratory Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJanuary 23, 2017
While the work may appear to be difficult, the job itself is quite straightforward with an excellent manager, and support staff who are willing to provide any and all help possible.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Good environment for research
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 11, 2016
Michigan Tech has a good culture for engineers. More efforts need to put into basic science in my opinion. Also lots of the facilities on campus need to be fixed to be able to create a more professional and comfortable working environment for students and faculties.
good undergraduate and graduate education
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 7, 2016
good graduate and undergraduate education with plenty of opportunities to perform research as an undergraduate student.
Michigan Tech IT is an OK place to work.
Network Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIOctober 23, 2016
Michigan Tech IT is located in a crowded, noisy, uncomfortable basement, unless you're one of the folks lucky enough to have your own office or be in another building. The University is a great place to work under the right management. The President, CIO and deputy CIO are awesome, but some of the Directors are questionable at best. The CIO just put together a lounge space with a Foosball table, TV, windows (!) and that's pretty fun, your office decor is up to you.
Challenging Place to work with chance for advancement
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 27, 2016
Michigan Tech offers chances for advancement and gives FTE the opportunity to take courses for Free which helps if you are working on Finishing or gaining a second degree.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Not Free Parking
Excelent Experience Building
Machine Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIAugust 15, 2016
Working at MTU allowed me to put into practice what i learned in the classroom. The school of technology machine shop is an excellent environment to get your hands dirty and apply manufacturing knowledge.
Productive and good education
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 16, 2016
A day at work starts at 9.00 am.

Co-workers and Faculty are helpful and supportive, good management, nice work culture.
Well organized lab teaching experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJune 21, 2016
As a TA, I was responsible for the work of my students in my class. Having no professor, it was enjoyable to have the flexibility to teach the curriculum as desired. The coordinator was not only incredibly kind and responsive, but also kept things running smoothly in an organized fashion. Some of the other TAs were hardworking, while others were less so, but I didn't have any problems in my interactions with them. Although I had taught before this, it was a good learning opportunity for me to work with many different groups at once, juggling and prioritizing what I would do for which student. I have always loved seeing the 'aha!' moment from students, which is why I love teaching so much, and it was no different here. The hardest part was doing all of the grading and feedback in addition to the already heavy graduate course load I was taking at the time. Each student made different mistakes, which meant I had to explain different things on each lab and quiz. It was very time consuming.
Pros
Good coordination and pleasurable teaching
Cons
High workload outside of the classroom
Officiating Intramural Games
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIMay 19, 2016
It was a part-time job which required me to referee basketball and volleyball games. Shift were allotted depending upon the number of games and the number of officials required. The wrok hours were after school hours.
An excellent place to work, learn and get recognized!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIMarch 28, 2016
1) The work culture is really good.
2) Loads of things to learn.
3) Excellent opportunities are available.
4) A place which recognizes your talent.
5) The work is really hectic but you will start enjoying it once you get used to it.
Interact communication with stundents
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 28, 2016
Demonstrated field work techniques and explained mechanical concepts to 25 students. Evaluated laboratory report and held office hours to ensure students understood course concepts. Sometimes the students keep confuse about one concept, and I need to use multiple ways explaining to them. It is very enjoyable when making the students understand tough problems.
Great experience working with students.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 9, 2015
As a TA at MTU I was able to assist students in need to achieve their maximum success. The work environment was in a classroom setting and the students and teacher were all excellent to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michigan Technological University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4