Michigan Technological University

Michigan Technological University Employer Reviews

Graphic Design Specialist (Current Employee), Houghton, MIDecember 15, 2014
Great environment, friendly, face paced, opportunities for professional growth.
A new and exciting experience
GTA- Mathematics Department (Former Employee), Houghton, MIDecember 6, 2014
I was a Teaching Assistant in Math Department at Michigan Technological University.
The department offers Masters and P.h.Ds in different areas of Math. The professors there are very qualified and easy to work with.
A typical day at work included taking and giving classes. So my day would go from studying , doing homework , researching and teaching, – more... preparing for next day, holding office hours, and grading. This was an incredible experience. I got to learn a lot about teaching, from my mentor and also from my classmates. How to organize a lesson, to write exams and quizzes, how to be helpful to the students. Sometimes I would feel like I and the other TAs were a team. We could count on each other when we had difficulties or uncertainties. Being at Michigan Tech was somehow an adventure. It was a life changing experience. A new place so far from home, so many new people, and a lot, a lot of snow. The hardest part was at the beginning. I had to teach in a foreign language. And be responsible for my very own class. The most enjoyable part of being a teacher is when my students would understand me and that would reflect in their grades. The fact that I was still a student myself, helped me to understand better my students. I am proud to be a "husky"! Now I'm looking forward to new adventures. – less
productive place with passionate people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIOctober 17, 2014
it's a great place to learn new skills with talented teammate.
Teaching others is teaching myself
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Current Employee), Houghton, MIOctober 9, 2014
It's quite a great time spend in Houghton as a tutor. As a university-paid graduate student, the working time is very flexible. Basically when there's a office hour or grading job, or tutoring hour, student may come in and asking questions about subjects learned in the class. I payment is just enough for paying the tuition and surviving here. I like – more... the job, because I'd teaching, the way I enjoy it is to spend a joyful time with students and get the concepts reviewed, at that moment I'm not just a tutor, I'm also a student who's eager to learn those almost forgotten knowledge. – less
Great place to get your education
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIOctober 8, 2014
The university has a diverse background and also host some of the best scientist in the country.
Improved my experience in embedded system programming
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee), houghtonOctober 5, 2014
Courses: “Embedded Systems Engineering” and “Physics”
- Taught students how to use various peripherals of a microcontroller, various communication protocols like SPI, I2C and UART. And also assisted them with their course final projects.
- Grader: “Computer Architecture” and “Hardware-software integration”
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houghton, MISeptember 22, 2014
Did graduate student work. Worked with other graduate students.
Research in a Comfortable Situation
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJuly 22, 2014
Completely flexible research time. Pleasant people, decent pay.

Sometimes details by adviser was not specific and therefore not easily done. Sometimes too lenient on deadlines because of an insanely busy schedule of the adviser.

Overall--great place to work at.
Productive and Fun working place
MICHIGAN TECH PROJECT DESIGN (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJune 21, 2014
I learned technical experiences and the environment is fantastic.
Introducing Michigan Tech to first year students
Orientation Team Leader (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJune 17, 2014
Pros: perks from the university, getting the opportunity to be a first impression of the university
Cons: i wish we got to spend more time with the students one on one instead of in groups
As Orientation Team Leaders we are the first impression that students and their parents get of Michigan Technological University. We are available to the students and parents for any questions and to be their resource for any question they may have. For a week, we mentor a group of students and as we build relationships with them we become mentors and – more... role models throughout their time at Michigan Tech. – less
Unique work environment
Student (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJune 17, 2014
Michigan Tech allowed me to grow as an individual and as a professional.
Great experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIMay 28, 2014
Pros: paid for full-time education
Being a GTA was a great experience, and a great way to pay for graduate school. It pushed me to develop even better organizational and communication skills.

Typical duties included:

- setting up and teaching lab each week
- grading lab reports and homework assignments
- guest lecture when necessary
Pretty laid back place.
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Houghton, MIApril 22, 2014
Working at the desk isn't very time-consuming. I worked 8-10 hours a week, more if people needed shifts taken. The schedule is flexible. The shifts are 2 hours long, and sometimes it's not enough time to get everything done, but more often than not, it's no trouble. It's a great way to meet a lot of people, too- very people-oriented work.
Great people, many opportunities to manage multiple projects
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: growing opportunity, free snacks in the offices
Michigan Technological University higher me twice as a student employee and once as a research assistant.

During my time spent as a graphic designer and communications specialist, I developed my abilities to work independently and problem solve. Much of my work was developed on my own with only copy editors looking over my designs. The experience gave – more... me the advantage to teach myself through online tutorials as well as working face-to-face with printers.

My research assistant position was phenomenal, but as unique to my opportunity. Every position throughout the university will differ depending on the PIs. My experience allowed me freedom to grow in my inter-personal communication, research, and organizational skills. I worked with a team to interview nearly 37 people, study the results, and write a paper to submit to AMBIO. I learned how to conduct an interview and manage a database of information.

The only downside to working with the university was that I was restricted to typical student employee standards such as little pay/little hours. However, if I were to be employed as staff then the benefits would include union, holidays, etc. – less
nice university
Research Assistant (Current Employee), HoughtonSeptember 27, 2013
1. lots of resources;

2. excellent professors;

3. friendly staffs;

4. good training programs.
Great place to study, but not to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houghton, MIAugust 28, 2013
MTU is great school with high reputation in academic way. Houghton is a beautiful town, where you will find comfortable to study here.
Motivated employees, lots of opportunities to be active
Athletic Marketing Intern (Current Employee), Houghton, MichiganAugust 22, 2013
Pros: mountain bike trails right across the parking lot
Working in Michigan Tech Athletics has been great. Having the Student Development Complex, Gates Tennis Center, and the ski/bike trails within minutes helped me stay active. Many of the employees are also active which has made it easier to get out. Everyone that I dealt with was positive and thoughtful.
Productive and placed in a beautiful natural location
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houghton, MIJune 25, 2013
Pros: free food once in a month, regular seminar, low living cost
Cons: poor remuneration and not enough books in library
Funding situation is not good, not enough research facility for PhD students. Wonderful small town and culture. Almost 6 months winter but worth living there.

Learned to fight with the nature, peaceful and quite place for long time studying, so built a strong theoretical knowledge in my discipline.

Coursework and research work balance was the hardest – more... part.

Co-workers are friendly and welcoming, enjoyed the Upper Peninsula culture and environment mostly. – less
Working on synthesis of fluorescent probes for biological targets
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houghton, MIJune 17, 2013
Works on my graduate research and also teaching organic labs.
Graduate studies to add R&D experience in wireless digital communications
Graduate Student (Current Employee), Houghton, MIApril 19, 2013
I work with software defined radios for DS-CDMA based systems using FPGAs. Modeling in Matlab/Simulink followed by System Generator and also pure VHDL coding.

About Michigan Technological University

Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university – Read more