Michigan Technological University Employee Reviews in United States

It was job
Broomball Rink Manager (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 4, 2015
I had a job here, it was really great. I would say to others looking to get a job from here to also get that job as well. Great people and good compensation.
An excellent place to work, learn and get recognized!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIMarch 28, 2016
1) The work culture is really good.
2) Loads of things to learn.
3) Excellent opportunities are available.
4) A place which recognizes your talent.
5) The work is really hectic but you will start enjoying it once you get used to it.
Interact communication with stundents
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 28, 2016
Demonstrated field work techniques and explained mechanical concepts to 25 students. Evaluated laboratory report and held office hours to ensure students understood course concepts. Sometimes the students keep confuse about one concept, and I need to use multiple ways explaining to them. It is very enjoyable when making the students understand tough problems.
Officiating Intramural Games
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIMay 19, 2016
It was a part-time job which required me to referee basketball and volleyball games. Shift were allotted depending upon the number of games and the number of officials required. The wrok hours were after school hours.
Great experience working with students.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 9, 2015
As a TA at MTU I was able to assist students in need to achieve their maximum success. The work environment was in a classroom setting and the students and teacher were all excellent to work with.
Great University
student (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MINovember 30, 2015
The classes are just the right amount of challenging. The work load is a lot but manageable. The curriculum is new in the MechEng department and classes are getting sorted out. But I am learning a lot about what I will need as a mechanical engineer.
Great people, many opportunities to manage multiple projects
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 21, 2014
Michigan Technological University higher me twice as a student employee and once as a research assistant.

During my time spent as a graphic designer and communications specialist, I developed my abilities to work independently and problem solve. Much of my work was developed on my own with only copy editors looking over my designs. The experience gave me the advantage to teach myself through online tutorials as well as working face-to-face with printers.

My research assistant position was phenomenal, but as unique to my opportunity. Every position throughout the university will differ depending on the PIs. My experience allowed me freedom to grow in my inter-personal communication, research, and organizational skills. I worked with a team to interview nearly 37 people, study the results, and write a paper to submit to AMBIO. I learned how to conduct an interview and manage a database of information.

The only downside to working with the university was that I was restricted to typical student employee standards such as little pay/little hours. However, if I were to be employed as staff then the benefits would include union, holidays, etc.
Pros
growing opportunity, free snacks in the offices
Good equipment
Universal Projects (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 17, 2015
Easy to communicate with teammate, I learned how to make good teamwork and improve my technological skills as software tolls.
Had a very good learning curve
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJune 16, 2015
Worked for typically 4hr/day
Good management skills by Instructor
programming and innovative approach was explored to get the result.
Pros
Paid Research Assistant ship for Summer 14.
Very good place for research
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 30, 2015
summer is cool while winter is horrible. Its good to visit copper harbor at summer time and had better to stay at home in winter.

Want to know more about Michigan Technological University?

Ask a question
typical campus
reaserach assistant (Current Employee) –  huoghtonJuly 21, 2015
MTU has a small and safe campus to work. it is located in north michigan and it has a very very long and cold winter. everything else is like a typical small campus.
Interesting Research Project
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 21, 2015
I had to do a project on how to create a build in wifi for vehicles. It's not so hard, but as a engineer we have to dealing with a lot of numbers.
Pros
Paid Intership
Cons
Teaching is a fantastic experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 2, 2015
I really thank this teaching opportunity since it does help me adapt to a completely environment very quickly. Michigan Tech does provide us enough useful materials.
Flexible hours, good co-workers
Michigan Tech MEEM Dept. Student Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIApril 19, 2015
Overall fairly well balanced in my position. Flexibility is great and staff that I work with are friendly. Most difficult part of this position is just fitting in the time between work and school, but like I mentioned the flexibility helps work around this. Most enjoyable part is the co-workers and supervisors.
Pros
Flexible work hours, friendly co-workers and supervisors
Monday is a teaching day
Graduate Teaching Instructor (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 20, 2015
A typical Monday involves making thoughtful yet fast decisions and maintaining a sense of flexibility when working with students, advisors, and administrators. After a meeting about my Master's Project, I begin emailing my students to remind them about upcoming deadlines. I prepare materials for the upcoming class and solidify my lesson plans before going to teach.

In my Technical Communication class, I enjoy challenging my students to think on their feet and solve problems ethically and creatively. Using prompts, in-class writings, and discussions, I gear my students towards working in a globalized market with diverse audiences. I devote part of the course schedule to professional development and remind my students to prepare for the job market by updating their resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles. I encourage my students to participate as much as possible and remind them to email me if issues or questions arise as the class comes to a close.

Once I am finished teaching, I'll return to my office for office hours. In the past, I've counseled students on developing their professional experiences to cater to their career trajectories and actively seek out opportunities to enhance their educational experiences.
Pros
teaching experience, working with students, fast-paced environment
Cons
geographical isolation
Very good experience working there
Student supervisor, Catering (Former Employee) –  michiganFebruary 25, 2015
A place where lot can be learnt. encouraging and supporting co-workers. Well organized management. Perfect environment for entry level job seekers to gain some experience
Teaching others is teaching myself
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIOctober 9, 2014
It's quite a great time spend in Houghton as a tutor. As a university-paid graduate student, the working time is very flexible. Basically when there's a office hour or grading job, or tutoring hour, student may come in and asking questions about subjects learned in the class. I payment is just enough for paying the tuition and surviving here. I like the job, because I'd teaching, the way I enjoy it is to spend a joyful time with students and get the concepts reviewed, at that moment I'm not just a tutor, I'm also a student who's eager to learn those almost forgotten knowledge.
Good place to stay
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIApril 6, 2015
Good education,especially automotive. Snows most time of the year and no industry nearby.Safe campus but nothing much to do around
Productive and placed in a beautiful natural location
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJune 25, 2013
Funding situation is not good, not enough research facility for PhD students. Wonderful small town and culture. Almost 6 months winter but worth living there.

Learned to fight with the nature, peaceful and quite place for long time studying, so built a strong theoretical knowledge in my discipline.

Coursework and research work balance was the hardest part.

Co-workers are friendly and welcoming, enjoyed the Upper Peninsula culture and environment mostly.
Pros
free food once in a month, regular seminar, low living cost
Cons
poor remuneration and not enough books in library
Good Research University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 20, 2015
Good Research University. Enjoyed my stay/study thoroughly and research is pretty good. More attention is given towards research than towards teaching in classroom. Self motivated individuals will find this place a heaven for working atmosphere.

4.4