Michigan Technological University Employee Reviews

Michigan Tech IT is an OK place to work.
Network Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIOctober 23, 2016
Michigan Tech IT is located in a crowded, noisy, uncomfortable basement, unless you're one of the folks lucky enough to have your own office or be in another building. The University is a great place to work under the right management. The President, CIO and deputy CIO are awesome, but some of the Directors are questionable at best. The CIO just put together a lounge space with a Foosball table, TV, windows (!) and that's pretty fun, your office decor is up to you.
Challenging Place to work with chance for advancement
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 27, 2016
Michigan Tech offers chances for advancement and gives FTE the opportunity to take courses for Free which helps if you are working on Finishing or gaining a second degree.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Not Free Parking
Excelent Experience Building
Machine Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIAugust 15, 2016
Working at MTU allowed me to put into practice what i learned in the classroom. The school of technology machine shop is an excellent environment to get your hands dirty and apply manufacturing knowledge.
Productive and good education
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 16, 2016
A day at work starts at 9.00 am.

Co-workers and Faculty are helpful and supportive, good management, nice work culture.
Well organized lab teaching experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJune 21, 2016
As a TA, I was responsible for the work of my students in my class. Having no professor, it was enjoyable to have the flexibility to teach the curriculum as desired. The coordinator was not only incredibly kind and responsive, but also kept things running smoothly in an organized fashion. Some of the other TAs were hardworking, while others were less so, but I didn't have any problems in my interactions with them. Although I had taught before this, it was a good learning opportunity for me to work with many different groups at once, juggling and prioritizing what I would do for which student. I have always loved seeing the 'aha!' moment from students, which is why I love teaching so much, and it was no different here. The hardest part was doing all of the grading and feedback in addition to the already heavy graduate course load I was taking at the time. Each student made different mistakes, which meant I had to explain different things on each lab and quiz. It was very time consuming.
Pros
Good coordination and pleasurable teaching
Cons
High workload outside of the classroom
Officiating Intramural Games
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIMay 19, 2016
It was a part-time job which required me to referee basketball and volleyball games. Shift were allotted depending upon the number of games and the number of officials required. The wrok hours were after school hours.
An excellent place to work, learn and get recognized!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIMarch 28, 2016
1) The work culture is really good.
2) Loads of things to learn.
3) Excellent opportunities are available.
4) A place which recognizes your talent.
5) The work is really hectic but you will start enjoying it once you get used to it.
Interact communication with stundents
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIFebruary 28, 2016
Demonstrated field work techniques and explained mechanical concepts to 25 students. Evaluated laboratory report and held office hours to ensure students understood course concepts. Sometimes the students keep confuse about one concept, and I need to use multiple ways explaining to them. It is very enjoyable when making the students understand tough problems.
Great experience working with students.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 9, 2015
As a TA at MTU I was able to assist students in need to achieve their maximum success. The work environment was in a classroom setting and the students and teacher were all excellent to work with.
It was job
Broomball Rink Manager (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIDecember 4, 2015
I had a job here, it was really great. I would say to others looking to get a job from here to also get that job as well. Great people and good compensation.
Great University
student (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MINovember 30, 2015
The classes are just the right amount of challenging. The work load is a lot but manageable. The curriculum is new in the MechEng department and classes are getting sorted out. But I am learning a lot about what I will need as a mechanical engineer.
Good equipment
Universal Projects (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MISeptember 17, 2015
Easy to communicate with teammate, I learned how to make good teamwork and improve my technological skills as software tolls.
Very good place for research
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 30, 2015
summer is cool while winter is horrible. Its good to visit copper harbor at summer time and had better to stay at home in winter.
Interesting Research Project
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 21, 2015
I had to do a project on how to create a build in wifi for vehicles. It's not so hard, but as a engineer we have to dealing with a lot of numbers.
Pros
Paid Intership
typical campus
reaserach assistant (Current Employee) –  huoghtonJuly 21, 2015
MTU has a small and safe campus to work. it is located in north michigan and it has a very very long and cold winter. everything else is like a typical small campus.
Teaching is a fantastic experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJuly 2, 2015
I really thank this teaching opportunity since it does help me adapt to a completely environment very quickly. Michigan Tech does provide us enough useful materials.
Had a very good learning curve
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIJune 16, 2015
Worked for typically 4hr/day
Good management skills by Instructor
programming and innovative approach was explored to get the result.
Pros
Paid Research Assistant ship for Summer 14.
Flexible hours, good co-workers
Michigan Tech MEEM Dept. Student Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIApril 19, 2015
Overall fairly well balanced in my position. Flexibility is great and staff that I work with are friendly. Most difficult part of this position is just fitting in the time between work and school, but like I mentioned the flexibility helps work around this. Most enjoyable part is the co-workers and supervisors.
Pros
Flexible work hours, friendly co-workers and supervisors
Good place to stay
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIApril 6, 2015
Good education,especially automotive. Snows most time of the year and no industry nearby.Safe campus but nothing much to do around
Awesome Job
Student Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIMarch 27, 2015
The boses were very kind. The hours were hard, but was a very rewarding job for entry level. Expect to be tested mentally.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michigan Technological University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4