Michigan Works Employee Reviews

non profit
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Mt. Clemens, MIFebruary 16, 2017
it was a state funded job for a non profit organization for the elderly who could not get hired due to their age factor we help the elderly get to and from doctor appointments and grocery shopping when they couldn't drive any more
Pros
part time 19 hours a week
Cons
no cons
Great Team work
Employment Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MIDecember 22, 2016
Great team work. Allowed to create and implement new training's. Suggest all staff be trained on employment law. Learned a new system. Hardest part was building trust with customer's. Enjoyed the service projects.
Pros
Team Work
Good working placr
I pass out water, filters, and water tester (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 16, 2016
My good is good my go workers r wonderful and the only bad part is I work in the bitter cold for 6 days every week but my job has taken good care of us by get ting us the right gear for the extreme temperatures
Strong use of innovative employment tools to assist job seekers.
Business Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 14, 2016
I have worked for Michigan Works for many years. My overall view of the organization is positive. Employees are passionate about helping participant achieve their personal goals.
Pros
Open to anyone seeking general or selective services.
good while it lasted
Welding Intern (Former Employee) –  Fraser, MIOctober 31, 2016
It was only for a short time but I did like learning about welding. I believe it was for 3 months of a summer vacation and we got paid for it. I liked the people there .
Pros
free food, fun atmosphere
Cons
not many Cons
Solid
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Escanaba, MISeptember 16, 2016
Really nice laid back work environment. I did not have a problem with anyone there. The work wasn't too bad. Alot of people there where easy to talk to.
Pros
Nice
Got My Start
Administrative Internship (Former Employee) –  Mt. Clemens, MISeptember 8, 2016
Michigan Works' Youth Program helped me get through the transition from school to work. The only complaint I had was the pay. Minimum wage isn't enough to make a living on.
Positive learning, Fire cadet
Junior Staff (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 24, 2016
It was a very positive and moving summer job. Glad i was apart of it. It was only a summer job. It was a job with the state of Michigan. I helped school teachers, and was a Fire Cadet. I helped teachers with the students. I learned The ropes of a Fire Fighter.
Pros
Learning new things.
Cons
Had to leave early
work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Covert, MIAugust 8, 2016
I enjoyed working for Michigan works at the Civic Center in Covert, Michigan. It was a fun place to work at because I got to help the elderly a lot, I also got to do some computer work, and greet people, and also I did a lot of community service.
Pros
Fun, challenging
Cons
low pay
Positive Work Environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harrison, MIJune 8, 2016
I've learned and updated job skills necessary for me to obtain permanent employment.
A typical day entails greeting customers and assisting them with their employment and unemployment needs, answering the telephone and using fax and copy machine.
Pros
One-hour lunch
I love working here!
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gladwin, MIApril 4, 2016
I actually work through Experience Works and am assigned to Michigan Works! Gladwin work site to brush up my clerical and people skills for my future permanent employment. My duties include, but are not limited to: Assisting Clients with Unemployment website. Assisting and teaching clients to navigate the Talent Connect site. Creating PowerPoint displays for the Smart TV, Copying and updating local newspaper want-ads, checking website for Michigan Unemployment Fact Sheets, making sure the most recent publications are available for customer use.

These people are the best to work with!
Pros
Friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable people
Cons
Only part time until I can get the experience to land the job of my dreams...
was a ok job
Police Cadet (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 9, 2016
taught you the benefits of being a police officer. had a lot of order and listening to authority figures and possible role models.
Excellent place to work
case manager (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 23, 2015
Access opens many opportunities to gain experience in a welcoming, family oriented environment. The employees work diligently and most of them work sincerely. Despite the usually minimal company snares, the overall environment is positive, warm and inviting. The support of management is there, and the support of immediate staff and human resources is available. There is an open door policy and a professional environment where the staff work hard to empower others daily.
Pros
Paid lunch, company gatherings, family environment, benifits.
Cons
You may neverr see a raise, and the possibility for a promotion is low.
productive and fun working place
Receptionist/ Classroom Aide (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 9, 2015
I enjoyed all aspects of this job. They kept me busy with multiple thing suck as processing mileage checks, classroom aide which I help recipients with computer and jobs searches and resume building. answering of phones and so much more. I had the honor of meeting and helping less fortunate people make their selves better.
Could have been better
Career Developer (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIOctober 27, 2015
I worked at Michigan Works Berrien, Cass, Van Buren as a Career Developer. The job was usually mundane and I felt chained to a desk all day. Management was a joke. People were hired based on whether or not your parents were friends with the director. Employees that had been working there for some time and were highly qualified were overlooked for positions for kids fresh out of college who didn't have a clue. A lot of changes were taking place and it seemed that management were flying by the seat of their pants. The management could not be trusted and the director seemed to have ulterior motives.
Pros
Benefits, work hours
Cons
Nepotism, unchallenging
Great field of work.
Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 22, 2015
I enjoy being employed by a workforce development agency. I enjoy the diverse populations that I serve. During my time with Grant Associates and SerMetro via Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation, A Michigan Works! Agency, I was one of the highest placing career advisors in the system.
Pros
I love my job
Cons
Contractual pay cut.
Lincoln High School
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIOctober 10, 2015
Position is no longer available.
Learned clerical skills and how to operate in a office setting. The department is now closed.
Pros
after school work
Cons
must be a Lincoln high school student
Awesome
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MISeptember 24, 2015
I loved working here. I had a wonderful experience with you guys. Everyone was welcoming funny and loving, made you feel like you were family. I miss every last one of you.
Pros
Great Opportunities Continuously Comes your way.
closed local location
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Menominee, MISeptember 24, 2015
Sub contracted work, no structure, no reviews, lacks training advise and continuing education. Very high turn over with entire company
Great Company
Welding Intern (Former Employee) –  Fraser, MIMay 18, 2015
working with Michigan works summer employment was enjoyable. well learning skilled trades of welding and laser edge cutting. job offered get pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michigan Works. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2