Micro Center Employee Reviews

Computer/Electronics
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 15, 2017
Typical consumer electronic but fits the niche of real computer geeks. It's pretty much a specialty store which in my opinion I would consider it Radio Shack on steroids.
Privately Held Company
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHApril 7, 2017
Options for the employees are very limited in Advancement and training.

The company is not focused on people but rather on profit.
The Benefits are minimal.
Pros
Many People to work with
Cons
Benefits are sub par
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILMarch 30, 2017
Working as a general associate, the pay isn't well. It pays $4.00 per hour plus commission. Getting into another department is where the money is. The training is hands on.
Pros
great discounts.
Cons
low pay and little room for advancement
Commission sales with bad management
Retail Sales Associate/Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 28, 2017
The employees at MicroCenter are typically extremely overqualified for their jobs, but the management is so counterproductive and nitpicky that the environment is toxic.

Sales staff is paid $4/hour and the rest is commission. Except management is constantly having the salespeople do things other than sell, like scrubbing shelves or rearranging entire walls instead of doing their jobs. Pay fluctuates from $8/hr to $12/hr depending on the department you sell in; computer parts and systems are much cushier positions, but who ends up there is at the mercy of awful management.
Pros
Good employee discount
Cons
Terrible management, unstable schedules
Used to be a great company
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2017
MicroCenter used to provide computer education for businesses and those purchasing computers at their stores. However, they are no longer in the education business. I would return to the classroom in a heartbeat, I enjoyed teaching there so much.
Pros
Great supplemental materials
Cons
Students rated every class & teacher was graded down when technology failed, the building was too hot or if students did not complete the review.
Tough but rewarding job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 27, 2017
Microcenter is a company that prides itself on making difficult technical purchases uncomplicated and relatively quick. It creates an environment that allows for Do-It-Yourself computer assembly at home at a bargain compared to almost all other methods. They match or best Newegg but also allow for all the service you'd expect at a retail store with a much higher knowledge base.
Pros
Teamwork skills build rapidly
Cons
The demands for balancing speed and a high level of service.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 26, 2017
Management is great, workplace is great, overall great place to work. No specific hard parts of the job, most enjoyable would be helping a customer find exactly what they need.
It's retail
GSA (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMarch 15, 2017
I wont say that I didn't enjoy working at Micro, but at a retail job there is always going to be drama. The management was a typical cliquey kind of group where if you wanted something you had to be on their good side. The retail aspect of the job I had no problems with although being commission based was kind of meh because we probably didn't get paid as much as we should have been. Yeah it was over minimum but for the kind of job that's not really enough. I did learn a lot more about technology by working there so that gives me an edge that I didn't have before.
If you want to enjoy your life stay away!!!
Technology Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 14, 2017
WORST place to work!! nothing good to say about company and management. Your salary depends on your sales and the portion you get is nothing!

The hardest part is to get sales and then you have no control if they return the item it will be deducted out of your paycheck!
Pros
Cons
Salary, no benefits, 24/7 walking, no one works as scheduled
Retail job
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 10, 2017
Pros

Employee discount and work/life balance.

Cons

Do not have control of disiplinary action in your own store. Human resources whom is in a different state and comes every 3 months are so does.

Advice to Management

Listen to your store management.

Share via Email
Copy Link
Bosses make a difference!
Cashier/Computer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMarch 9, 2017
Under the right bosses will encourage a worker to move up the ranks and strive for more.
Yet under a wrong boss, will undo that process.
I have been in different departments, under different bosses and seen the difference.

When team work is encouraged by the right boss and that boss jumps into the trenches with you, it shows you what a boss should be and how you should stride for it.

I gain stronger people skills and confidence under the right boss.

Hardest would be working in one department with two many bosses that did not work as a team and cause problems for workers. As an example of that, made a sick cashier who had a stomach virus still work behind the register, even though he was vomiting in a bucket around the holiday shopping season. Reason, was that they didn't have enough people to replace him; yet they themselves would not jump on register to replace him.
Pros
Health care, employee discounts, Bosses, Co-workers.
Cons
Bosses not suited for this job and to encourage a stronger workforce, pay.
Very productive.
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madison Hts, MIMarch 8, 2017
My typical day was behind the cash register. What I learned was the different temperments of the clients and management. I got along with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job when was it was slow and trying to find things to keep busy. The best part of the job was when it was busy.
Pros
employee perks
Cons
short breaks
Different kind of work environment (America)
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 6, 2017
Comfortable place to work got along with the staff great became very good friends with a lot of them.Quite a relaxing and comfortable place to work enjoyed it very much.
Pros
great staff
Cons
salery
Great place to start IT
Geek Squad/Computer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2017
Working here, learned alot about the IT world. Great place to start learning simple break/fix and data backups. ALways cool to work in a place with many computer parts.
This a fun and inviting place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, MOFebruary 18, 2017
Making sure that the customers are well taken care of is the number one priority of this company. We strive to provide the best customer service in the world. Every one is friendly and working here feels like a second home. Every one looks out for one another. The managers are nice and very helpful. If I wasn't an employee of Micro Center I would recommend this store to anyone. You can gain plenty of computer knowledge from many of the workers. The job is not hard at all. Yes sometimes you may have a difficult customer that comes in but continue to treat them with kindness and take care of them the best way you can to try and keep them happy.
Pros
Everyone is friendly and looks out for each other.
Cons
Sometimes the hours can get crazy because you can't always get things done outside of work.
Excellent setting but terrible management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 5, 2017
I would clock into ult pro and work my shift during work. I would often be ridiculed by the managers at micro center and it drove me to leave.
A learning experience
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Saint Davids, PAJanuary 30, 2017
A nice retail store. I see no real issues. Good management. A vast variety of departments to excel in. People do come and go. That is the nature of the business.
Pros
One happy family
Cons
Hours
Low pay but great experience.
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNJanuary 29, 2017
Low-end pay but commission, hectic environment, high use of metrics to evaluate performance, some training offered, great experience for learning details of a vast array of PC's, Mac's, OS's, peripherals, warranty processing, etc.
Its nice
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 25, 2017
This is good place to work. Working environment is comfortable. Coworkers, supervisors, managers, general managers are good. All people are cooperating each other.
My work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 18, 2017
I learned how to work with cooperation and customer service experience, because it is the computer store,, so I have learned handling with multiple tasks at the same time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Micro Center. Our community is ready to answer.