Microchip Technology Employee Reviews in United States

Best technical staff I have ever associated with
Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZFebruary 2, 2016
I enjoyed working for Microchip Tech. I believe it was the best time of my life that I learned and put a lot into my work with them. Management encouraged putting the time into learning and be productive member "I loved it" I won't hesitate one minute to go back and work for them.
really good atmosphere to work in. Excellent culture.
Production specialist in manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 9, 2015
Working in a clean room environment with clean room protocol. Working in a semiconductor industry where the culture and employees are well to be in and to work for.
Pros
Skills sets to learn improvement of individuality skills improved in organized and time management
Cons
Ways to move up
Company makes many wise decisions.
Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 13, 2015
The company has been very stable over the last 13 years because of many good decisions and an unwillingness to borrow money. They pay for things in cash...a good lesson to be learned.
Pros
Good benefits, free healthcare on site.
Excellent company to work for...
Senior Manufacturing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 10, 2015
I worked at Microchip for 11 years and it is an excellent company to work for. I was involved with many start ups as the company grew. Relocated several times in order to help with new growth. I have a lot of respect for the CEO. He has done an amazing job with bringing the company to where it is at today.
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
None, I left to stay be a stay at home Mom for 2 years.
An alright place to work if you wanna make decent money.
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORApril 20, 2015
I worked here as an expeditor for 6 months. I was a temp the entire time I never actually got hired on. There's people that have been here for years an still make pretty much the same. It's sad really. I came in with NO experience and automatically started making more. So that was a red flag.
The best thing about this place was the work schedule.
Mainly peoples only complaint was the pay. There is the potential to make more but in return you sacrifice your personal life. Which isn't worth it to me.
I decided to look elsewhere and found a much better job.
Also though the breaks were awesome! And everyone's really friendly so that's a plus.
But in the end I'm looking into the best interest for my family.
Pros
The work Schedule!
Cons
Pay!! U won't go up more than $2 in 5 years!!!!
Decent pay, Decent benefits. Decent company.
IDL employee (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORApril 18, 2015
I learned quite a bit at Microchip. They are great about providing classes to further your development with the company. Conveniently enough, though, those classes will benefit your resume, as well.
Don't waste your time applying if you are not great on a computer.
The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the people. Unfortunately, like most major corporations, you are just a badge number to them. Your successes don't often come into play when you break a rule, which is unfortunate for someone whose successes far outweigh their mistakes.
Some managers there are amazing. Some are not. but that's the way it goes. Mine was a great one.
If you go to work, do your job and don't get personal with any of your coworkers during your 12 hour shift then you are going to love it.
Pros
People, hours, benefits
Cons
Their talk about employees being their greatest strength is just talk. You are replaceable.
Always productive
Production Specialist - Photolithography (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 16, 2015
Typical day is 12hr shift with little down time. There were three breaks I was given. Co-workers were very easy to get a long with and team work was crucial.
Pros
very easy not to complicated
Cons
management was the worst i have seen
Stable company that looks after it's shareholders over employees
Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 6, 2015
Microchip has the culture of being cheap. The quarterly salary review policy seems to be in place to put off raises as long as possible (expect minimal raises and you won't be let down).
Pros
stable, profitable
Cons
low compensation, poor benefits
Integrated Circuit Wafer Fabrication.
Sr. Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 26, 2014
Great job and very challenging. Unfortunately, all operations were moved overseas and all domestic manufacturing was terminated.
okay place to work alot of hours
Production Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 5, 2014
okay place to work , fun people and nice campus ,with gym on site.
Stable company
Lead (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 26, 2014
Good company with job security. Lower salaries than competitors...Otherwise a good company that I would recommend to everyone!
Pros
very understanding management
Cons
lower salaries than competitors
Only ONE raise in seven years (no matter how good your review)!
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 21, 2014
Only ONE raise in seven years (no matter how good your review)! That's why I finally left. Lowest pay scale of any semiconductor company in Arizona! Plus every three years they put all the lowly manufacturing people on work furloughs as well claiming they are preserving your jobs (while they increase their market share simultaneously). Clean room semiconductor work. No way to move up. Business is booming but the company is stingy and greedy, very tight with $$$ for employees. Work here if you like being dirt poor forever!
Pros
on site cafeteria, covered parking.
Cons
no advancement opportunities, no raises, tightwad company. good ole' boys network.
Excellent company to work for, they cared about you and your family first
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 24, 2013
Daily internal and external customer contact.
Created Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) for Automotive customers
Maintained filing/tracking system electronically/hardcopy in compliance to QS9000 National Quality Guidelines.
Pros
very busy, a lot of customer contact.
microchip learning
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 29, 2013
It was a pretty tough job at first, but I caught on quickly. My coworkers were all very helpful, and Management was as well.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
hard on my feet with constantly walking
Nothing innovative here to do
Principle ASIC Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 25, 2013
I am very disappointed with the technical challenge offered at this company. I was hired into a design group but there had been no original RTL design work. It is verifying what verification can't get write passed on to the design group.

In Summary the company makes three micro-controllers over and over again with just slight changes. They are an 8-bit PIC, a 16-bit pic and a MIPS core 32-bit PIC.

Don't come here unless you like working in the same faulty code base that has been here for 10 to 20 years depending on the chip.
Overall a great place to work. An employee could possibly get involved with many aspects of the company and gain invaluable experience.
Principal Product Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 1, 2013
For me, my typical day was ensuring that my new product development schedule specifics were being met by my New Product Development Team(s). This meant interfacing with Wafer Fab, Design, Assembly, Testing, Yield Enhancement, Failure Analysis (when needed), Application Engineering, and Marketing to make sure there were no issues that would negatively impact my projected "product-to-market" schedule.

I learned that if you want the product to be robust at the end, you must control every aspect of the building block components up front and stand your ground on what these should be and base the decision on facts and data and not soley on a favorite direction or direction.

My immediate Management was fine for the most part but sometime they tend to forget schedules were mere projections and not absolute entities. (More realistic flexibility was needed).

The co-worker were fine to work with (some more pleasant than others).

The hardest part of the job was trying to deliver on an important milestone but given only limited resources.

I really liked the challenge and seeing my finished products sell and make millions of dollars for the company.
Pros
flex time
Cons
needed more equipment in some areas to accommodate the growing number of engineers and requests.
Stable company with good management
Sales Engineer/Disti&Rep Mgr - Rocky Mnt. Reg. (Current Employee) –  ArizonaAugust 10, 2013
Conservative management style, company has been profitable for 91 consecutive quarters. Team environment, positive environment.
The Training and Development team is a real team
Employee Development and Training Intern (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 15, 2013
I enjoyed very much working with the training and development team. They are very sharp and focused on giving the Microchip employees the best information and training possible
Pros
strong company, no layoffs
Cons
salaries are not as competitive as other companies their size.
An Okay place to work.
Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gresham, OregonJanuary 14, 2013
The nickname of this company is Micro-Cheap. The intention of the company's CEO is good, but frontline management is terrible. Supervisors are very good at office politics and their 5S projects are to sit around in the cafeteria to monitor Production Specialists breaks/lunch. They have very limited technical knowledge about the jobs of the people they "supervise". They show no sympathy to your tireness after a busy day. The continous improvement system they set up to serve the cubicle monkeys, regardless, of how much more additional tasks add on the back of Production Specialists. If a Production Specialists want to put in suggestion for improvement, it will have to depend on how good the relationship that Specialist has with some of the cubicle monkeys for that suggestion to go through. In short, their improvement system set up much like that of the bureacrat in the Federal and State Governments. Your good ideas for improvement can be very skillfully manipulated to be that of someone else in the office.

They are also slowly become a very Heavy Top from mid-frontline manager as well as the training and support groups.

In the last couple upturns, they hired a lot of Production Specialists with no prior fab experiences so they can pay them just a notch over the minimum wage and to easily mold them into a monkeys see monkeys do mentality.
Pros
the fab is relatively new and clean.
Cons
short breaks and being watched, frontline supervisors focus on things that do not improve fab's performance for the longterm, pay and merit, benefits, petty people in the support groups.
Easy place to work
Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORDecember 11, 2012
Company culture are very good. Co-workers are very nice but not talented.