Microchip Technology

Microchip Technology Employer Reviews

Integrated Circuit Wafer Fabrication.
Sr. Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Tempe, AZSeptember 26, 2014
Great job and very challenging. Unfortunately, all operations were moved overseas and all domestic manufacturing was terminated.
okay place to work alot of hours
Production Specialist II (Former Employee), Gresham, ORMarch 5, 2014
okay place to work , fun people and nice campus ,with gym on site.
Stable company
Lead (Current Employee), Gresham, ORJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: very understanding management
Cons: lower salaries than competitors
Good company with job security. Lower salaries than competitors...Otherwise a good company that I would recommend to everyone!
Only ONE raise in seven years (no matter how good your review)!
Production Specialist (Former Employee), Tempe, AZJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: on site cafeteria, covered parking.
Cons: no advancement opportunities, no raises, tightwad company. good ole' boys network.
Only ONE raise in seven years (no matter how good your review)! That's why I finally left. Lowest pay scale of any semiconductor company in Arizona! Plus every three years they put all the lowly manufacturing people on work furloughs as well claiming they are preserving your jobs (while they increase their market share simultaneously). Clean room semiconductor work. No way to move up. Business is booming but the company is stingy and greedy, very tight with $$$ for employees. Work here if you like being dirt poor forever!
Excellent company to work for, they cared about you and your family first
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee), Chandler, AZNovember 24, 2013
Pros: very busy, a lot of customer contact.
Daily internal and external customer contact.
Created Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) for Automotive customers
Maintained filing/tracking system electronically/hardcopy in compliance to QS9000 National Quality Guidelines.
microchip learning
Expeditor (Former Employee), Gresham, OROctober 29, 2013
Pros: fun environment
Cons: hard on my feet with constantly walking
It was a pretty tough job at first, but I caught on quickly. My coworkers were all very helpful, and Management was as well.
Nothing innovative here to do
Principle ASIC Design Engineer (Current Employee), Chandler, AZSeptember 25, 2013
I am very disappointed with the technical challenge offered at this company. I was hired into a design group but there had been no original RTL design work. It is verifying what verification can't get write passed on to the design group.

In Summary the company makes three micro-controllers over and over again with just slight changes. They are an 8-bit PIC, a 16-bit pic and a MIPS core 32-bit PIC.

Don't come here unless you like working in the same faulty code base that has been here for 10 to 20 years depending on the chip.
Overall a great place to work. An employee could possibly get involved with many aspects of the company and gain invaluable experience.
Principal Product Development Engineer (Former Employee), Chandler, AZSeptember 1, 2013
Pros: flex time
Cons: needed more equipment in some areas to accommodate the growing number of engineers and requests.
For me, my typical day was ensuring that my new product development schedule specifics were being met by my New Product Development Team(s). This meant interfacing with Wafer Fab, Design, Assembly, Testing, Yield Enhancement, Failure Analysis (when needed), Application Engineering, and Marketing to make sure there were no issues that would negatively impact my projected "product-to-market" schedule.

I learned that if you want the product to be robust at the end, you must control every aspect of the building block components up front and stand your ground on what these should be and base the decision on facts and data and not soley on a favorite direction or direction.

My immediate Management was fine for the most part but sometime they tend to forget schedules were mere projections and not absolute entities. (More realistic flexibility was needed).

The co-worker were fine to work with (some more pleasant than others).

The hardest part of the job was trying to deliver on an important milestone but given only limited resources.

I really liked the challenge and seeing my finished products sell and make millions of dollars for the company.
Stable company with good management
Sales Engineer/Disti&Rep Mgr - Rocky Mnt. Reg. (Current Employee), ArizonaAugust 10, 2013
Conservative management style, company has been profitable for 91 consecutive quarters. Team environment, positive environment.
The Training and Development team is a real team
Employee Development and Training Intern (Former Employee), Chandler, AZJune 15, 2013
Pros: strong company, no layoffs
Cons: salaries are not as competitive as other companies their size.
I enjoyed very much working with the training and development team. They are very sharp and focused on giving the Microchip employees the best information and training possible
An Okay place to work.
Production Specialist (Current Employee), Gresham, OregonJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: the fab is relatively new and clean.
Cons: short breaks and being watched, frontline supervisors focus on things that do not improve fab's performance for the longterm, pay and merit, benefits, petty people in the support groups.
The nickname of this company is Micro-Cheap. The intention of the company's CEO is good, but frontline management is terrible. Supervisors are very good at office politics and their 5S projects are to sit around in the cafeteria to monitor Production Specialists breaks/lunch. They have very limited technical knowledge about the jobs of the people they "supervise". They show no sympathy to your tireness after a busy day. The continous improvement system they set up to serve the cubicle monkeys, regardless, of how much more additional tasks add on the back of Production Specialists. If a Production Specialists want to put in suggestion for improvement, it will have to depend on how good the relationship that Specialist has with some of the cubicle monkeys for that suggestion to go through. In short, their improvement system set up much like that of the bureacrat in the Federal and State Governments. Your good ideas for improvement can be very skillfully manipulated to be that of someone else in the office.

They are also slowly become a very Heavy Top from mid-frontline manager as well as the training and support groups.

In the last couple upturns, they hired a lot of Production Specialists with no prior fab experiences so they can pay them just a notch over the minimum wage and to easily mold them into a monkeys see monkeys do mentality.
Easy place to work
Process Development Engineer (Current Employee), Gresham, ORDecember 11, 2012
Company culture are very good. Co-workers are very nice but not talented.
productive
Production Specialist (Former Employee), Tempe, AZNovember 25, 2012
Pros: benefits, computers for personal use, good pay
Cons: not enough parking
Crossed trained in Diffusion, Wet/Dry Etch, inspection, and acid hoods and able to work where needed with little and/or no supervision. Along with running production, I performed qualifications on equipment to ensure tools are running properly for quality of product. My co-workers liked working with me for I am a team player and very good at my job, and we learned from each other. Can't think of anything that is hard about this job except when tools go down and having to wait on maintenance. Enjoy coming to work for I like the job.
A lot of good people to work with
Production Specialist (Former Employee), Gresham, ORApril 28, 2012
Pros: cww, great benefits.
Cons: extreme pc.
I learned that this a manufacturing position that appeals to me very much. I liked the work and most of the people I worked with. I learned a lot about semiconducter chip manufacturing; how the tools work, the processes involved.
Sr. Management & HR Do Not Support Female Employees
MarCom Production Manager (Former Employee), Chandler, AZApril 16, 2012
Worked tirelessly for this company for 15 years, consistent excellent reviews and positive feedback from all customers. One management change resulted in three long term female employees leaving within a 2 mo period. 25 years of Microchip experience walked out the door and no one at a senior level would do anything about it.

HR actually lied about employee reports that were made, did not address the complaints that were made and then claimed there was "no record of them".

Don't bother investing your hard work into this company!

March 14, 2013

Do not apply for Microchip India. Because: 1. The average technical knowledge of the team is less than that of freshers. 2. No promised work will be given. 3. Michrochip India will write hardly 20 lines of RTL an year. 4. Only work here is to debug some old asm programs written somewhere in 2004/5. 5. All the work is driven by US guys, they will enjoy all the cream work and only cleaning work of asm is provided to India.