Micron Technology Inc Employee Reviews

Very good benefits, work environment, people. Job security is questionable
Production Operator I-II (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 14, 2014
Testing memory chips. running test equipment and tracking failures. Marking and packaging parts for shipments to customers. Was able to work in several departments and start-ups. Encouraged by management to learn all you can. Willing to support you in asking questions and getting answers. Co-workers also very helpful in training/cross training for different areas within the work area. Working and standing during long shifts (12 hours) can be tiring both day or night shift, but 3 day 4 day schedule lets you have time to enjoy family. Only required to work some overtime during high volume times. Nature of the business very unsteady. Several layoffs in a 4 year time.
Pros
On site cafeteria, benefits, 3 day/4 day schedule. co-workers
Cons
job security issues, layoffs, standing long hours.
Good place to work and build your skills
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 12, 2013
Worked at Micron as an equipment technician. If you like to tinker with and fix things, it is an enjoyable job. Because it is a high volume fab, sometimes the pressure you are under can suck the fun out of a successful repair. I was fortunate enough that most of my peers were folks with good character and a generally good work ethic. I was also able to learn from seasoned technicians who were eager to pass along their knowledge. There is a bit of micro-management going on, but because of the nature of a high volume factory, it goes with the territory. The only real beef with the place I personally have is that promotion can be tough and sometimes you can get stuck where you are at for long time. The 12 hour shifts can be rough and you can lose time with family and friends, but if you're used to it, you almost don't notice it.
Pros
decent pay, good benefits, time off earned quickly
Cons
shift work rotating days/nights, micro management, company losses
Good company to work for if you are in Boise
Manager (Former Employee) –  San JoseAugust 29, 2011
Most jobs in this company are stable primarily because the CEO does not like layoffs. Having a non-diversified commodity product means this is not a growing industry and is constantly under pressure to improve the bottom like by cost cutting measures. Most of the time technology comes to the rescue to cut the costs. Many people have been here for a long time and that means moving up is a game of chance. People who know how to navigate through can still find good career growth faster, but its more of an exception. Growth gets even harder if you are in a satellite office like San Jose.

Most of work culture comes with the Boise mentality and may be a little different for silicon valley. The culture from Boise is on the conservative side... both financially and culturally.
Pros
lots of vacation time, good medical benefits, ceo is hesitant to do layoffs
Cons
not a growth industry, intense pressure to always cut costs, monitors how much time you spend in the building, is not very open to working from home, monitors keyboard activity
Productive and Fun.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID 83716July 4, 2016
Productive and relaxed working environment. Well life and work balance. Excellent vacation time. Long working days.
Productive and Interesting
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 26, 2015
A typical day is running furnaces and other manufacturing machines.
Assist in training new team members.
Control inventory to meet productions goals.
Identify and resolve production problems.
Package product for shipment.
Pros
execllent employee benefits
Cons
Outsourcing
hardwork get recognized
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 22, 2016
It is a decent company. Nice, hardworking people. Your efforts will be recognized and you will be given opportunity if you ask. I enjoyed working there in Boise site.
Great working environment for people who want to grow.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 15, 2015
Good company to work for in the Manufacturing field. Their global reach makes diversity a common phenomenon at work. Great benefits in the absence of down turn.
Pros
The ability to learn new things is probable.
Cons
Intensive high pace work environment
Great benefits, everything else lacking.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  BoiseFebruary 7, 2012
While the benefits and pay were very generous and the people were great to work with, things at Micron were far from perfect. Upper management liked to put the success of the company on the shoulders of manufacturing through constant (sometimes nearly impossible) cost reduction initiatives.
benefits
Cons
difficulty being promoted, huge off-shift commitment expectations.
Enjoyed job where I could multitask, interface with team members and develop relationships.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 29, 2013
A typical day at work included the ability to work without being micromanaged, multitask during critical and non-critical situations, research and analyze in decision making process and cbt trainings. I had the opportunity to learn the business process of a facilities and took classes at GMU toward a Facility Management Certificate.
Management's knowledge of Facilities and it's functionality far surpassed other areas of needed focus such as knowledge of some of the employee benefits, communicating with employees, building trust among team members and other members of management.
I truly enjoyed developing relationships with co-workers and the supervisory team, whom didn't mind going the extra mile to get projects completed or giving me the opportunity to assist them on a project.
The hardest part of the job would be lack of communication and knowledge on managements part of the full job responsibilities and not knowing how to promote me.
The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the use of my customer service skills to get results, job completion, building trust and sound relationships.
Pros
Employee benefits, Rewards & Recognition program
Cons
Lack of sensitivity training, trust and communication
Very Darwinian, high stress, mediocre pay, excellent benefits
Technician (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 18, 2015
Very Darwinian, high stress, mediocre pay, excellent benefits. For the most part good people to work with, indoor work, high tech.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
High Stress, mediocre pay
Fun Place to work
Intern Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 16, 2014
Great management
Great team/co-workers
Good pay/compensation/benefits
Productive, friendly, clean environment.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 3, 2015
I enjoy working at Micron. It is such a good company to work for the only thing that gets to me is the schedule that I have. I work 12 hr night shifts, Wednesday through Friday and every other Saturday.
Pros
Good pay, amazing co-workers, days off when requested on time, very clean and safe environment, and there is so much to learn and grow from.
Family friendly culture with strong moral focus
MBU Business Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 26, 2015
Micron has a good culture going around it's corporation. Working for Micron was a great experience and benefited me greatly.
Management does not care about engineers
Assembly Product Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 13, 2014
No advancement opportunities. Management does not care about the advancement of engineers even after years of long hours at work and accomplishments.
Pros
Cons
No advancement
commodity memory manufacturing is a tough business.
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 20, 2013
Micron Technology is in the semiconductor industry. They are in a global industry that is very competitive and their corporate culture has been shaped by this reality. They reward individuals that can impact the bottom line.
Pros
Employees can gain international experience
Cons
This industry can require long hours
Didn't want to leave
Test Operator (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTApril 2, 2014
I loved working there and was very upset when I could no longer
work there because of health conditions. I was working on being an equipment technician and staying there for my retirement. It was a very enjoyable work atmosphere and all my co-workers and supervisors were great friends. I was certified in 15 of 17 job positions. I enjoyed learning all there was to the Burn-in and testing departments. Near the end I was unable to use the small tools I needed to use. It was very difficult for me to lift things as my strength started to weaken.
Pros
Enjoyable atmosphere, friends, everyday was different as far as types of jobs
Cons
Cannot think of anything
A very high pace exciting and productive environment
Sr. Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IdMarch 2, 2012
I worked here 15 years and was always proud to be part of this innovative technology company. The you get out of it what you put into it attitude makes gor a very long career opportunity
Pros
they take great care of the employees
Cons
the company has gotten so large
Work hard and play hard.
Principal Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Boise, IdahoMarch 19, 2014
Micron was a growing company with many challenges and opportunities for advancement. As technicians there we were forced to think outside of the box and constantly pushing the envelope to develop or modify equipment to do things they weren't originally designed to do. The shift was 12 hours long with a 30 minute lunch break and the day started with a pass down from the outgoing shift to bring up to speed with what was going on. The supervisor then discussed the priorities and every one started working. When a piece of equipment was repaired it was put through a series of quality tests and the results were reviewed by a second technician. It it passed all of the test the part was bagged, tagged and placed in inventory. If it failed it was torn down to discover the reason it failed and reworked. For me the toughest part of the job was getting adjusted to night shift because we rotated shifts every four months. The first week of shift change was particularly challenging because of the change in sleep habits.The best part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction you got when you repaired a subassembly and it went into the production area and did not come out until it was pulled because of regularly scheduled maintenance.
Pros
Promotions based on merit and not seniority.
Awesome place to work!
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 15, 2014
A very versatile place to grow within the company. Plenty of room for advancement and job roles.
Pros
3 12 hour days on and 4 off. awesome work schedule
Cons
expensive food in the cafeteria
work and eat. no ping pong table but did have some music.
FAB Engineer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJanuary 10, 2014
met some nice friends. work was interesting. fixing things always gave us a sense of accomplishment. I did not share the same after work socializing or hobbies of my co workers which kept me at a distance. We learned organizational skills. Participated in improvement projects. Difficulties were trust issues across different departments. Bonuses and group activities were the most enjoyable.
Pros
working together as a team
Cons
heavy lifting

Micron Technology Inc Reviews by Location