Micron Technology Inc

Micron Technology Inc Employee Reviews

Very Darwinian, high stress, mediocre pay, excellent benefits
Technician (Former Employee), Boise, IDFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: high stress, mediocre pay
Very Darwinian, high stress, mediocre pay, excellent benefits. For the most part good people to work with, indoor work, high tech.
Fun Place to work
Intern Recruiter (Former Employee), Boise, IDDecember 16, 2014
Great management
Great team/co-workers
Good pay/compensation/benefits
Awesome place to work!
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), Manassas, VANovember 15, 2014
Pros: 3 12 hour days on and 4 off. awesome work schedule
Cons: expensive food in the cafeteria
A very versatile place to grow within the company. Plenty of room for advancement and job roles.
Summary
Senior R&D Process and Equipment Eng (Former Employee), BoiseJune 19, 2014
Pros: i get on with it..
Cons: i do my job and get home
I like technically challenging projects with all the spotlight on me.
Management does not care about engineers
Assembly Product Engineer (Current Employee), Boise, IDApril 13, 2014
Cons: no advancement
No advancement opportunities. Management does not care about the advancement of engineers even after years of long hours at work and accomplishments.
Didn't want to leave
Test Operator (Former Employee), Lehi, UTApril 2, 2014
Pros: enjoyable atmosphere, friends, everyday was different as far as types of jobs
Cons: cannot think of anything
I loved working there and was very upset when I could no longer
work there because of health conditions. I was working on being an equipment technician and staying there for my retirement. It was a very enjoyable work atmosphere and all my co-workers and supervisors were great friends. I was certified in 15 of 17 job positions. I enjoyed learning all there was to the Burn-in and testing departments. Near the end I was unable to use the small tools I needed to use. It was very difficult for me to lift things as my strength started to weaken.
Productive and best place to work.
Sr. Software Engineer/ Architect (Former Employee), Boise, IDMarch 28, 2014
Best place to work with great work environment, cooperative team members, and supportive bosses.
Work hard and play hard.
Principal Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Boise, IdahoMarch 19, 2014
Pros: promotions based on merit and not seniority.
Micron was a growing company with many challenges and opportunities for advancement. As technicians there we were forced to think outside of the box and constantly pushing the envelope to develop or modify equipment to do things they weren't originally designed to do. The shift was 12 hours long with a 30 minute lunch break and the day started with a pass down from the outgoing shift to bring up to speed with what was going on. The supervisor then discussed the priorities and every one started working. When a piece of equipment was repaired it was put through a series of quality tests and the results were reviewed by a second technician. It it passed all of the test the part was bagged, tagged and placed in inventory. If it failed it was torn down to discover the reason it failed and reworked. For me the toughest part of the job was getting adjusted to night shift because we rotated shifts every four months. The first week of shift change was particularly challenging because of the change in sleep habits.The best part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction you got when you repaired a subassembly and it went into the production area and did not come out until it was pulled because of regularly scheduled maintenance.
Very good benefits, work environment, people. Job security is questionable
Production Operator I-II (Former Employee), Boise, IDJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: on site cafeteria, benefits, 3 day/4 day schedule. co-workers
Cons: job security issues, layoffs, standing long hours.
Testing memory chips. running test equipment and tracking failures. Marking and packaging parts for shipments to customers. Was able to work in several departments and start-ups. Encouraged by management to learn all you can. Willing to support you in asking questions and getting answers. Co-workers also very helpful in training/cross training for different areas within the work area. Working and standing during long shifts (12 hours) can be tiring both day or night shift, but 3 day 4 day schedule lets you have time to enjoy family. Only required to work some overtime during high volume times. Nature of the business very unsteady. Several layoffs in a 4 year time.
work and eat. no ping pong table but did have some music.
FAB Engineer Support Technician (Former Employee), Manassas, VAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: working together as a team
Cons: heavy lifting
met some nice friends. work was interesting. fixing things always gave us a sense of accomplishment. I did not share the same after work socializing or hobbies of my co workers which kept me at a distance. We learned organizational skills. Participated in improvement projects. Difficulties were trust issues across different departments. Bonuses and group activities were the most enjoyable.
Enjoyed job where I could multitask, interface with team members and develop relationships.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee), Manassas, VAOctober 29, 2013
Pros: employee benefits, rewards & recognition program
Cons: lack of sensitivity training, trust and communication
A typical day at work included the ability to work without being micromanaged, multitask during critical and non-critical situations, research and analyze in decision making process and cbt trainings. I had the opportunity to learn the business process of a facilities and took classes at GMU toward a Facility Management Certificate.
Management's knowledge of Facilities and it's functionality far surpassed other areas of needed focus such as knowledge of some of the employee benefits, communicating with employees, building trust among team members and other members of management.
I truly enjoyed developing relationships with co-workers and the supervisory team, whom didn't mind going the extra mile to get projects completed or giving me the opportunity to assist them on a project.
The hardest part of the job would be lack of communication and knowledge on managements part of the full job responsibilities and not knowing how to promote me.
The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the use of my customer service skills to get results, job completion, building trust and sound relationships.
commodity memory manufacturing is a tough business.
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee), Manassas, VAJuly 20, 2013
Pros: employees can gain international experience
Cons: this industry can require long hours
Micron Technology is in the semiconductor industry. They are in a global industry that is very competitive and their corporate culture has been shaped by this reality. They reward individuals that can impact the bottom line.
Weekend Lunch
Business Intelligence Engineer (Current Employee), Boise, IDMay 7, 2013
• As a L3 Operational support performing operational activities as per SLA
• By the process of Clear quest troubleshooting, enhance, and debug databases and support customers
• Trouble shoot SSAS cubes, SSRS Reports, DataStage Jobs, SSIS Packages as part the L3 operations and Enhanced performance of Oracle database by tuning existing code (packages)
• Under take small projects build data marts for FAB, Sales, QA, Purchasing, and Inventory
SAP Security Consultant (Former Employee), Boise, IDMarch 7, 2013
 Worked on SAP ECC 6.0, BI 7.3 Security and provided access to users to make better business decisions.
 Responsible for all aspects of SAP ECC Security Administration tasks including Coordinating and interacting with business, technical and functional consultants for gathering SAP Security requirements, Design role, User Administration, transport roles and authorization, testing, system parameters, analysis reports generating, troubleshoot authorization error and create/maintain SAP Security process documents for SAP systems.
 Designed, developed and maintained Master and Derived roles and Secured roles by Organizational levels such as Company Code, Plant, Cost Center, Profit Center, Purchasing Organization etc., for BPC,BI 7.0, Solution Manager and Enterprise Portal7.0.
 Applied SAP Security policy, procedure, best practices and system controls to SAP systems.
 Used SAP Security transactions - PFCG, SU24, PFUD, SUPC, SUIM, SU53, SU56, ST01, SE09/SE10, RZ10, SE16 and like.
 User Administration/Maintenance: Creating users, assigning roles to users, resetting password, locking and unlocking users(SU01, SU10) in all SAP systems.
 Extensively worked with ECATT and CATT for mass user creations.
 Setup training IDs for Business and end users.
 Prepared Project Plan for Go Live and Post Go Live activities.
 Troubleshoot user roles, tracing the users, security authorization objects and custom reporting authorization objects to debug or troubleshoot authorization error, resolving the issue by giving required authorizations in SAP modules.
 Report to management on the status – more... of project and anticipating/identifying issues.
 Responsible for communication, coordination, and teamwork within the team and end users.
 Assisted Sarbanes Oxley Compliance - SAP System Audit and documentation of significant Processes and controls
 Complete overall support includes design and implementation for all Security needs for all user ID admin and Role builds for SOX compliance.
 Working with GRC (Compliance Calibrator, Firefighter) in identifying conflicts single roles and composite roles.
 Troubleshoot ECC security problem by using different scenario such as system trace (ST01), parameter change, buffer reset, SU53, and SU56 in order to find security problem.
 Continuously improved security configuration to reflect best practices and prepare for system audits.
 Designed and assigned roles and profiles for Solution Manager 7.0.
 Maintained authorizations for various Solution Manager 7.0 profiles (Implementation, Distribution, Change Request Management, Monitoring, and Reporting).
 Monitoring the system logs and ABAP dumps (SM21) and fixing the problems accordingly.
 Imported and maintained startup/default/instance profiles (RZ10).
 Worked on creating RFC connections through sm59. – less
Good place to work and build your skills
Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Manassas, VAFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: decent pay, good benefits, time off earned quickly
Cons: shift work rotating days/nights, micro management, company losses
Worked at Micron as an equipment technician. If you like to tinker with and fix things, it is an enjoyable job. Because it is a high volume fab, sometimes the pressure you are under can suck the fun out of a successful repair. I was fortunate enough that most of my peers were folks with good character and a generally good work ethic. I was also able to learn from seasoned technicians who were eager to pass along their knowledge. There is a bit of micro-management going on, but because of the nature of a high volume factory, it goes with the territory. The only real beef with the place I personally have is that promotion can be tough and sometimes you can get stuck where you are at for long time. The 12 hour shifts can be rough and you can lose time with family and friends, but if you're used to it, you almost don't notice it.
Clean room environment
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee), Boise, IDNovember 13, 2012
Preventative maintenance on production tools and machinery. Quality control testing on measurement tools. Tracked statistical data on tool
output.
Many applications
Process Integration Technician (Former Employee), Boise, IDApril 17, 2012
Team work is essential to goal

All understand the goals of the day
A very high pace exciting and productive environment
Sr. Engineering Manager (Former Employee), Boise, IdMarch 2, 2012
Pros: they take great care of the employees
Cons: the company has gotten so large
I worked here 15 years and was always proud to be part of this innovative technology company. The you get out of it what you put into it attitude makes gor a very long career opportunity
Great benefits, everything else lacking.
Engineer (Former Employee), BoiseFebruary 7, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: difficulty being promoted, huge off-shift commitment expectations.
While the benefits and pay were very generous and the people were great to work with, things at Micron were far from perfect. Upper management liked to put the success of the company on the shoulders of manufacturing through constant (sometimes nearly impossible) cost reduction initiatives.
Good company to work for if you are in Boise
Manager (Former Employee), San JoseAugust 29, 2011
Pros: lots of vacation time, good medical benefits, ceo is hesitant to do layoffs
Cons: not a growth industry, intense pressure to always cut costs, monitors how much time you spend in the building, is not very open to working from home, monitors keyboard activity
Most jobs in this company are stable primarily because the CEO does not like layoffs. Having a non-diversified commodity product means this is not a growing industry and is constantly under pressure to improve the bottom like by cost cutting measures. Most of the time technology comes to the rescue to cut the costs. Many people have been here for a long time and that means moving up is a game of chance. People who know how to navigate through can still find good career growth faster, but its more of an exception. Growth gets even harder if you are in a satellite office like San Jose.

Most of work culture comes with the Boise mentality and may be a little different for silicon valley. The culture from Boise is on the conservative side... both financially and culturally.