Microsoft
1,171 reviews

Microsoft Employee Reviews

Amazing work environment
3D Artist (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMay 24, 2015
Pros: Great People and Free Drinks
The people here are great. I felt like everyone there was professional, while at the same time, fun and humorous. I would highly recommend working here to anyone.
Great company
Product Specialist (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 22, 2015
Emphasis in customer support. Great benefits and very fun. Outstanding HR department which is always in direct contact with you.
Productive, fulfilling, good benefits, good work environment, smart people, exciting outlook
Applied Scientist (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAMay 21, 2015
Microsoft is going through a very exciting period. There are many cool ambitious projects and along with them great career opportunities. The work environment is great and the benefits are very good.
Microsoft needs to get act together.
Technical Advisor (Former Employee), Mission ViejoMay 20, 2015
Coworkers and clients seem to be very nice.
Management need some improvement.
Job is easy but management Priorities are all wrong.
Great Company to work
Head of Advertising (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMay 20, 2015
Great products, services and very smart people. It has a great new energy to expand Microsoft footprint to other operating systems and mobile. We have a lot to do but great people to work on big challenges.
Got laid off
Sourcing (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Good products
Cons: Layoffs
Due to Microsoft buying out Nokia, we got laid off.

it was a great company to work for but the comp cought up. If it wasnt for Apple and Android, I'd be at Nokia now.
Typical corporate environment
Finance Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMay 20, 2015
Typical day at work involves managing different cross company processes such as forecast, budget, planning and target setting. Involves a lot of work with product and sales finance teams as well as other central finance organizations.
Screwed up company but pay is great
Manager (Current Employee), RedmondMay 19, 2015
Pros: Great pay, nice people, snacks and drinks are free, great benefits
Cons: Will overwork you to death, no life or work balance, ineffective and lacking process, simple things like request for IT help are impossible
The most ineffective company to that I have ever seen. Unbelievable politics and inefficiencies. From the outside looking in, one would never imagine how lacking process and procedure exist here.
Great job, sad to see my contract end
Sales Support Administrator (Current Employee), cambridge, MAMay 19, 2015
I work in a great office with terrific people. I have learned a lot and wish I could stay on. I have learned quite a bit and have worked with very impressive people.
A great place to work and grow
Network Operations Center Manager (Current Employee), Bellevue, Wa.May 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits, food, work-life balance, environment, endless challenges
Cons: The interview process
Microsoft is a place that can be hard to get into, but once you're in, the opportunities are endless.

When I first started at MS, I was working for another company (Aquantive/Atlas) that was acquired by MS, and the initial transition was hectic, but after a short period of getting to know new management and some new "best practices" things resumed at their normal, yet hectic pace. After a couple years of hard work, a couple promotions and always looking ahead, it became clear that this was the place that I was meant to be.

After some internal struggles with management across MS, we got a new CEO, changed the way we look at the future and eliminated "stack ranking". I now believe that MS is one of the best possible places to work, with endless possibilities for training, development and career advancement.

Yes, it's hard to get in (the interviews are brutal), but if you know your stuff, have a passion to drive the future and like working with other like-minded individuals, don't hesitate, apply for something!
Something new to learn Everyday
Software Quality Assurance Engineer and Tester (Current Employee), Irving, TXMay 18, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Company is so far from home.
Excellent Training, great co-workers steady workflow advancement is there with up to date training on sales, customers, and also very helpful in ongoing your own personal knowledge of products and information.
Productive and Fun Place to Work, even if you are a vendor, which I was
Business Readiness CONTRACT & REVENUE MANAGER (Former Employee), Reno, NVMay 12, 2015
Flat-model management style conducive to high productivity, team spirit and continued progress and improvement. Most enjoyable part of work was the commitment to perform excellent work with top standards.
Extremely well managed company but very hard and very fast
Principal Development Lead (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 12, 2015
Pros: In the crossroads of technology; countless learning opportunities
Cons: Very intense. No work-life balance. Fiercely competitive.
You would think any company as big as Microsoft would have plenty of resources and plenty of places to hide where you could just go in, do your job and live your life. Not so at Microsoft. This is a performance-extraction machine: it is very well managed and you are measured, evaluated, stack-ranked and pushed very hard every single day. Work life balance is a joke. People work insanely hard and long hours, and they are some of the best and brightest from all over the world. Working at Microsoft is an absolutely great way to start or advance your career, but it's no cake walk. The performance review process is very telling (I was a manager so I saw how this works). All employees within a group (has to be bigger than 6 or 8, normally is about 14 - 20) get stack-ranked, literally, and put into top, medium, and bottom-ranked buckets. Someone (or several people) must fall into the bottom bucket. Those folks get a bad review. This means if you have a team of 14 absolute rock stars, there will be 2 or 3 rock stars who are shocked to receive a bad review and no bonus. Many of them leave. That's why so many really great people used to work for Microsoft. Also re-organization happens at a dizzying pace. All this said, I think very highly of Microsoft and learned a staggering amount in the 3 years I worked there. It's a bit like working on your PhD except you don't have an advisor fighting for you. In particular, if you are young, smart, hard-working and eager to soak in a fire-hose environment, Microsoft is a great place to work. I honestly think the more senior you are, the harder it is to work at Microsoft. Although I've heard Amazon is worse...
Traveling throughout the US
Deployment Support Engineer (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMay 9, 2015
Pros: per diem
Cons: Lack of management knowledge
Was a great experience for me. How ever the life work balance was very sided towards work.

Very understanding management.
Political environment and too much middle management layers
Software Engineer II, Bing and MSN Apps (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAMay 9, 2015
Pros: Talented people, tech stack
Cons: Politics, layers of middle management
There are a lot of smart and talented people working in Microsoft.
However, the culture and atmosphere is not good. Depending on the team and manager you get,
it can turn from a dream company to a nightmare. Constant re-orgs, managers' shifting and
political abuse, due to the recent RIF and too much middle layer managers.

I wouldn't recommend this company to a young and ambitious engineer. But if you can not get into
another big tech company, Microsoft is still a brand name from which you can build you resume and learn some
of the cool technologies.
Good Company to work
Service Engineer in HR and Legal IT (Former Employee), RedmondMay 7, 2015
Pros: Software tools and environment
Cons: Lot of changes with poor management.
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Microsoft all these 11 years. There have been lot of changes that went on in IT. I had a great team to work with.
Great team unity, does not micro manage
2D QC Imagery Analyst (Current Employee), Boulder, COMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, soft drinks, shuffleboard, arcade games, chess, flexible schedule.
Cons: Vague about future projects and moving departments, vague about job security based on available work.
My job requires many different mini tasks. I first check my email and instant message my leads and managers to get an update on the quality control process. I work closely with my teammates to provide the best quality work we can. I learn new Microsoft applications everyday. This includes Microsoft office, Outlook, and Skype. Some of what we do is data entry and some of what we do requires detail of Bing Map's imagery.
Competitive and Political environment
Senior Business Process Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free juice, soda
Cons: No work life balance, bad politics.
Your work life balance goes down the drain when your project is close to ship date. Overall you have to deal with lot of politics especially when you are trying to maintain balance with business and technical teams.
Great work environment but lack of guidance from management
SDE (Former Employee), Redmond, WAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Free beverages
Cons: Lack of training and guidance
I enjoyed my 4 months working at Microsoft. The only issues I had was the lack of training to be successful at my job. Also, the lack of guidance from management and help, which made work very stressful at times.
Love working at MS
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Redmond, WAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and decent salary
Cons: No focus on work/life balance
Unfortunately, my boss left the company and I am now looking for a job both inside and outside of Microsoft.

typical day is 8-12 hours per day.
Love the people here.

1 2 3 4 5

About Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation develops, manufactures, licenses and supports a range of software products for computing devices. The Company's – Read more

Microsoft Salaries