Microsoft Employee Reviews

Found 1,704 reviews matching the search
Good company in a demanding industry
HR Associate & HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 26, 2016
Microsoft is a very good company to work for in terms of gaining experience and having a decent opportunity to advance in career. Certain pockets are more progressive than others when taking a risk on an unknown quantity. Certain pockets have more healthy culture than others. There is little work-life balance yet excellent benefits and the relative security of a steady paycheck. Due to the high level of change internally (vision, management, employee turn-over etc.) it can be difficult feeling like you're always on the verge or in the middle of getting to know a new team or manager because of all the re-organization that seems to be the one constant.
Great company! While it lasted...
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 3, 2017
Microsoft was a great place to work with really motivated and intelligent people. I found that the company culture was laid back and diverse. I learned a lot off of Excel and streamlining some of the operations. The biggest drawback was the budget cuts that ended up laying off people quickly. These decisions tend to be top-down and came with little or no lead time. Vendors seemed to be used a lot to avoid paying out benefits as MS is notoriously known for. I would have liked to stay longer as there were great people on my team, but that was just not in the cards.
Pros
Smart co-workers, diversity, work-from-home, cafeteria
Cons
Budget-focused, bureaucratic, work-life balance
They Pay very well but it's very cut-throat
Senior Escalation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 7, 2016
As with most jobs it will really come down to the team you're working on. I was very fortunate to work with a great team. However due to Microsofts work culture I feel there was more pressure to talk about all of the good work you were doing, rather than actually putting the customer first.

Microsoft talks about promoting a great work/life balance, however if you're not in management you likely will not see that as your metrics will take a hit anytime you take any time off (PTO isn't counted as non work hours so your utility percentages will show 0% for the day)
Pros
great benefits and compensation
Cons
very stressful work environment
Great compensation and benefits but horrible management
Business Program (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 16, 2016
Microsoft benefits and compensation is one of the best, but unfortunately it has a horrible culture of work politics. Hard work is not appreciated, but ability to make relationship with utmost importance. Basically ignore any emails from peers and people below and only spend time to do bare minimum for your job. Focus your time on your skip level and director/VP level. The more face time you have with them the better your review will be regardless of your work. Annual review system is basically a popularity contest with your higher up with the most say. Microsoft is a large company, I am not sure if it was just the department I was in. I would like to work there again one day but not in the same department to see how other parts of the company is like.
Pros
Great benefits and compensation
Cons
Horrible management and review system
Waste of a year. (product advisor)
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2016
A completely useless experience. I joined the company with high hopes of career advancement. Suffer a while as a product advisor and then move up to Microsoft corporate. But, that will never be the case. If anything the managers try to keep you in your position for as long as humanly possible. Degrade you and give you no support or training. Pay is atrocious for a company that pulls in over 20 billion dollars a year in revenue.

Microsoft simply does not care about you. They only see the bottom line. There is no support, no care, just more work and more responsibility for the same amount of pay.

I would not recommend this position to anybody.

The discount for workers is 10%. Which is completely laughable.

No, Microsoft retail is the worst working experiences I have had to endure. Stay clear if at all possible.
Pros
Corporate Benefits for Part Timers
Cons
Atrocious bonus, horrible management, worse customers, and terrible working environment.
Multi-cultural diverse work environment
International Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 19, 2017
I had worked in the International team for many years and had great opportunity to learn many different cultures and people from all over the world. It was always busy since I was not only working with people in the same time zone but also managing the team in overseas. Achieving the goals with various teams was always hardest part of the project but at the same time that was the most fun and rewarding part of the project.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay
Cons
work-life balance depending on job
Amazing Company to work for!
Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 17, 2017
The entire retail store side is very excitement and culture based. They want you to love your company and the products, so you can gush about it to the consumer and get them pumped about it. They want you to know what you're talking about, and give amazing ongoing training to do so. They want you to be empowered to help your customer, so they give you the options to pass on to them, and give you the ability to make them happy, so they can leave happy. They want you to be a part of the community, so they encourage volunteer opportunities, and make them known and available. They want to make you happy and healthy, so they give you amazing benefits so you can feel your best.
Out of any company I've worked for, Microsoft has to be the most amazing out there.
Pros
AMAZING benefits, great people, flexibility, the power to do right by the customer, and countless more
Cons
Only downside has been that, since the retail side is one small part of a greater company, higher ups change things with little prep time, so signage has to change, planograms change on a whim, and that can become frustrating.
Fun place to work where they make you and the customers the priority
Technical/Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 21, 2016
Working for Microsoft was an absolute blast. For the most part, they treat you like a person and not just a number. Working at the retail store and dealing with customers was not as bad as working with customers at other retail stores because they treat you with respect. I never saw any of my coworkers get yelled at or being mistreated even though some people are hard to deal with.
Pros
free snacks and coffee for employees, free healthcare plus many other benefits.
Cons
managers come from different retail stores and have a hard time adjusting to microsoft culture
Best company in the world to work for.
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 7, 2016
I learned how to be a leader with this company. I learned the type of leader I want to be with this company. Microsoft takes care of its associates and gives them the tools and resources to grow in their roles and get them to where they want to be. They have a growth mindset culture and promote diversity and inclusion in all aspects of their business.
Pros
great benefits, work/life balance, great senior leadership team
Fun and constantly evolving technology
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 17, 2016
Great job that demands high energy.
Continuously learning about software features and new ways to engage customers through demonstrating products. My coworkers and I are like a team that work hard to support each other. My head manager is amazing and empowers us to make final decisions for our customers. Trust and positive intent is our culture. The hardest part is seeing people buy based off of price and not value and quality.
Pros
Constantly learning, benefits, the people
Great Place to work- Successful only as good as your Manager's support
SDM (Current Employee) –  NCDecember 2, 2016
Microsoft is a great place to work- the pay is good, the benefits are good, too.

What is difficult is the opportunity for advancement. If you have any scarce skills and are placed on a team that knows very little, then you're to fend for yourself with little to no help from management.
Pros
GREAT benefits and pay
Cons
Little room for advancement to new challenges
Great place to work ...for a while
Senior Modern Devices and Mobility Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2016
Overall the company has been great to me but my lifestyle changed and unfortunately the job/role as consultant could not adjust well enough to keep me closer to home. The managers change every few months which was also disruptive to have to justify your work and existence every few months. If I wanted to do something outside of management and excessive travel I would have to move to Headquarters.
Pros
Great Compensation Plan
Cons
Too much travel
One Microsoft
Senior Service Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 7, 2016
Microsoft has changed over the years and for the better. It has become a more inclusive place to work and empowers its employees to self realize and become more. Microsoft continues to foster creative thinking and schools of thought and encourages people to be innovative within their career at Microsoft.
Pros
Benefits and extras around campus and Seattle area
Cons
Some groups do not offer Teleworking opportunities
A good place to work with excellent benefits
Service Engineer 2 (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 8, 2016
While I strongly disagree with the stack ranking bell curve for promotions (even really good people sometimes get the "lowest" ranking), it is overall, a pretty good place to work. Good compensation, good benefits and a culture that is quite collegiate. A lot of career growth potential, especially in the Azure space.
Pros
Free private bus, free soda, free MSDN subscription
Cons
Review methodology puts really great workers on the "bottom" of the stack
Productive and Fun Work Place Environment
Consumer Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Microsoft is very supportive with being flexible with scheduling, working with students and making sure they are being and feel supported. Microsoft also cares for their employees, benefits are outstanding for part-time and full-time. Coming into work is so exciting for me, were one big family!
Pros
Benefits, Advancement, Build Experience
Not what everybody expects
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2016
I gave one star as the values shown are in reality not follow by the company. Management is bias and goes by rumors to judge employee. The system employee evaluation encourages rivalry among fellow coworkers,on the outside everybody seems nice but when it comes evaluation time, they will destroy you if see you are a good potential for a raise. They stressed the importance of work life balance but that's another fantasy. You will not look good if you don't keep up with emails during your days off or even vacation. You will also look bad if you stay in the same position for about 3-4yrs they said you need to look higher level even if you do a good job .No job security you can be fired anytime if you are a good employee or not with without reason.
A fun and challenging environment.
Product Advisor / Chief MS Office Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJDecember 25, 2016
Currently, I am employed in Microsoft's retail division.

Besides the wonderful sales training we are instilled with, the corporate culture and the invitation to grow as professionals make this an incredible opportunity for anyone starting off in the business world.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Somewhat limited internal development.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 18, 2016
One of my favorite things about Microsoft is that there was a focused effort for all team members to be successful Drama was kept to a minimum and there was no back stabbing or jealous efforts to thwart an employee's success. The management was fair and level headed. Overall, the working environment was excellent. Future employers will struggle to compare to the Microsoft experience I had.
Pros
Excellent benifits
Cons
Minimal job security (as with many tech companies)
Great people, contracts blow
3D Artist 1 (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 19, 2016
I would have loved to stay at my job, but because of Microsofts policies around contractors and their unwillingness to regularly hire full time employees I've been forced out yet again.

It's a horrible pattern that I have yet to see change, and it makes it difficult to even live in the Seattle area, moreover it makes it impossible to try and raise a family.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No stability
Great place to have a career and develop under the right leadership
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 4, 2016
You will meet amazing and smart people - and will be able to develop under the right leadership. Unfortunately, there are still Inadequate middle level managers who aren't prepared to lead a team effectively and resort to bullying.
Pros
Overall compensation plan
Cons
Poor work-balance and middle level management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime