Microsoft Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,558 reviews matching the search
Not what everybody expects
Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Humacao Municipio, PRApril 3, 2016
I gave one star as the values shown are in reality not follow by the company. Management is bias and goes by rumors to judge employee. The system employee evaluation encourages rivalry among fellow coworkers,on the outside everybody seems nice but when it comes evaluation time, they will destroy you if see you are a good potential for a raise. They stressed the importance of work life balance but that's another fantasy. You will not look good if you don't keep up with emails during your days off or even vacation. You will also look bad if you stay in the same position for about 3-4yrs they said you need to look higher level even if you do a good job .No job security you can be fired anytime if you are a good employee or not with without reason.
Pros
Cons
above mentioned
Most fun I have had on the job
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 5, 2016
Working for Microsoft was kind of like joining a cult. Everyone was happy, everyone loved their job and took pride in what they did. I loved being there. The management was well placed (usually), and if there were issues or complaints from anyone in the store, upper management would step in and assess. The hardest part of the job was Microsoft's very stringent standards that had to be adhered to at all times. The most enjoyable was being encouraged to play Rock Band, Halo, or Just Dance with customers.
Pros
free surface 3 and windows phone upon being hired, great employee benefits, culture is amazing
Cons
high deductible healthcare, company is still growing so there are a few kinks being worked out business-wise
Contractor for Microsoft - Turn 10
Vehicle Artists (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 20, 2016
My day to day interaction with other artist was low stress and amicable, but there was no structure for promotion or increased compensation for performance or more responsibility. There was also a concerted effort on the part of management and Microsoft to keep salaries and compensation hidden to obscure the inequality the was rampant in the studios salaries.
Pros
Good work life balance compared to many game studios
Cons
Massive disconnect amongst the contractors between responsibility and compensation.
Great company with growth opportunity!
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 6, 2016
Working at Microsoft has been amazing. The culture is in everything that we do. You really do end up loving the company once you join the team.

In a retail environment I have seen several pears grow and get promoted to management positions and corporate positions.
Pros
work life balance is amazing, benefits are fantastic even for part time
Cons
as a retail sales associate pay leave a bit to be desired, management can make you hate your job or love your job
fun work place free taxi rides,drinks.pool table and ping pong to play
(GSAM)-Data analyst (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 30, 2016
no work pressure
equal opportunities
management is professional
co worker from different back ground learn so much about other cultures
hardest part is when you have to repeat commands data and so much same and same thing over 300 or 400 times and if you make a single mistake have to restart the whole process
learned so much about Microsoft tools
Pros
cheap lunch
Cons
medical benefits, sick leaves etc
Fun place to work, good benefits, good opportunities. Management mixed bag
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 10, 2015
Depending on team and lead, flexible work life balance and hours. Opportunities to learn new products and skills. Team spirit is better now that 'stack ranking' forced curves have been removed from performance evaluations. That old system used to create disincentives to cooperate.

Management, particularly mid level leads are disappointing. Minimal training, massive egos and questionable competency, especially growing people and leading strategic initiatives: rather than micromanaging. However, your mileage may vary depending on the group and manager you get - there isnt a good standard here!

Too many reorgs affect ability to rise, especially if you are the one to get reorged, just before a promotion.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunity to advance skills, flexible working hours
Cons
Poor mid level managers
Career Potential
Consumer Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMarch 29, 2016
Cutting edge technology and a unique blend of challenges on a daily basis. Management is friendly and operates under a doctrine of positive intent and openness. Coworkers are dedicated and rise to all challenges.
Pros
Generous compensation, provided meals. Room for travel and mobility.
Cons
My particular division does not offer a career path that is best suited to my skills.
Tech Person's Dream
marketing manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 5, 2016
Do you love technology, want to stay in the Seattle area, and be able to have work life balance to raise a family? Then Microsoft is most likely going to be a good fit. If you get on a good team (and there are bad ones) you will find an amazing group of highly intelligent co-workers and all the perks of a Fortune 500 company.

It might not always be exciting work, but it is fairly stable and they have some of the best benefits around. A solid choice of employment.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Pay, Work Atmosphere
Cons
Not exciting work, lots of management changes, busy work
Fun enviroment great staff
Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 4, 2016
Engage customers, provide world customer service , hold events learn how to do software repair on a pc ,how to give training on microsoft office aswell as windows operating system. management is great when they are not micro managing great teamwork environment i have to say the hardest part of job has to be the long hours when there is no business but then we have xbox's to play with during down time and tablets and pcs for gaming
Pros
benefits great perks and discounts everywhere
Cons
havin to work weekends and most holidays
Great Learning Experience
Customer Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 9, 2016
With my 5 years plus with Microsoft, I have facilitated, trained, and created curriculums for different facets of the business- Technical support, customer service, business management, people development, and field training. When I was hired with Microsoft, there was so much ambiguity with the training for those different facets. I helped build a culture and foundation for not only current associates but future associates as well. It was all about adapting as we grew.
Pros
Great culture, benefits, and values
Cons
Work/ life balance can be a challenge
Great opportunity with a great company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 20, 2015
Microsoft retail is a great place to work if you are looking to really make a name for yourself in retail. I many ways, it is just like another retail job but things are handled considerably better than other retailers. Communication is good. Benefits are excellent. Pay is fair. The consistency of goals makes for some stress as targets are always moving but if you enjoy new situations and reacting accordingly, it's nice. Middle management, like any retailer, is always the crutch. There is always a disconnect between the people running the show, and when objectives arrive at your store. There was always a disconnect too with Microsoft as a whole. What we did in retail seemed insignificant when compared to the greater company. I loved my coworkers. I loved my store. I was expecting more but at the end of the day, it is still retail.
Pros
Free soda, great training, awesome tools, amazing benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement, inconsistent objectives, lack of inclusion with Microsoft as a whole.
Microsoft Global Secuirty
Sr. Protection Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 2, 2016
Microsoft Global Security is a wonderful group to be affiliated with. I have learned many aspects of my job and have been able to work among great friends and colleagues. It provides home/work life balance and job security. The culture is the best and I am very fortunate to be able to be a part of the experience.
Fun and Knowledgable experience.
Seasonal Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2015
There is a lot to say about this job, first i want to say it was one of the most fun jobs i've had. Co-workers and Management together was great because we were all friends and they make you feel at home at Microsoft, They have great benefits to their employees, free beverages/snacks in the break room. There are only a couple things i would change, is the job security, i felt as if my seasonal job was going to be a permanent position even after management told me so, but it did not pull through.
Pros
Free snacks, flexible hours, great pay, fun environment.
Cons
Job security
Fun company but misguided direction
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 27, 2016
It's a fantastic workplace. Great group of smart people and a very relaxed work environment. However, as with most large companies, there are plenty of politics and direction becomes muddied.
Pros
Benefits, work life balance
Cons
Poor direction from leadership
Best Retail Experience of My Life!
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Huntington Station, NYMarch 24, 2016
Fun job to work while learning about the ins and outs of Microsoft. Being able to add more to my knowledge of Microsoft Office, helped me in my daily and professional life as well. There's not many jobs you can say that about. Also being able to see all the new up and coming products was cool as well. Management was cool as well. One of the best work environments ever!
Pros
Great work environment, great benefits
Cons
Lack of hours due to it being a retail job
Benefits and pay are OK
Supportability Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 6, 2016
If you are putting the hours for only 1 job the pay and benefits are good. However, if you are putting in enough hours for 2 full time jobs then the pay stinks.
Pros
On-site cafe, can work from hom
Cons
Long hours expected, performance review highly competitive
Unlimited Opportunities
Global Operations and Community Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 4, 2016
Microsoft really encompasses a diverse environment where you have opportunities to work with people around the world, doing things you didn't even know to be possible or exist.

If you are looking for a company that has something to offer no matter what combination of talents and personality you have, then this is the company for you. This place pretty much has it all!

Key qualities that will get you far; Self starter, disciplined, enthusiastic, team player.

Getting on a team with GOOD management is key - really focus on that when considering a role here. Honestly, you can have a great career for years, and it can all end with an organization change (which happens a lot here) that brings new management and if that management is poor - it's going to hurt you, guaranteed. So ask a lot of questions about that before you agree to anything. This one thing can seriously make or break your career here.

Be prepared to work with some of the smartest people on this earth, who happen to also be pretty cool.
Pros
Unlimited opportunities, great people to work with, career path
Cons
Commitment setting and review process is horrible, Bad management in some groups, Constant reorgs
Sr. Business Planning Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 14, 2016
- Great place to work depending on the group or organization
- Very competitive culture.
- Fast paced environment
- Flexibility to work in different areas & build up a career across the company
- Multicultural teams
Pros
trainings
Cons
work/life balance
Very productive and opportunity advancement in workplace
Critical Situation Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 24, 2016
At work we take calls, making sure customers are satisfied and getting the resources that are needed. We notate and send various emails and reports to executives. We are a team and we do have fun, but we work hard. The hardest part of the day would have to be making sure that SLA's are being met, seeing that it does not just depend on us if they are met or not. I love the fact that we all work good together, and we hire within the company which makes it easier to move up.
Fast paced enviorment
Operations Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 12, 2015
My experience at Microsoft is interesting. The program I work on is new so I had to deal with a bit more ambiguity than your average Program Manager. They tell you that working here is like drinking from a fire hose, I can attest that that is a true statement. I was challenged daily and learned very quickly that if I didn't know the answer, I better figure out a way to find it. I'm thankful for the opportunity and would recommend Microsoft to anyone who doesn't mind being challenged.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work life balance, management

4.2