Microsoft Employee Reviews

Found 1,759 reviews matching the search
Fast paced demanding culture with great benefits and flexibility
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 7, 2017
Microsoft demands strong performance and hard work, and rewards you with high pay, industry leading benefits and great advancement opportunities. This mature company offers the structure and training one would expect from a world class brand of its size. Much depends on the culture of the group you join and how good your manager is, but overall working at Microsoft is a good deal. They also embrace flexible working arrangements.
Fun environment with productive culture.
Billing and Fraud Agent (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 2, 2017
Employees engaged with one another, friendly environment with great customer service training. Within the corporate office, our aptly named “Culture Committee” works hard (and has a ridiculous amount of fun) planning activities for our staff. Other than our normal day to day work operations, the company is very optimistic about getting each employee involved with culture.
Pros
Great pay and great company environment.
Cons
They hire temps more than permanent positions.
Microsoft - project spark
SENIOR VFX ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 30, 2017
This was an amazing chance to work with some of the industry's best talents. We had the full support of management to meet our productions goals and the end result was well received. I would recommend this production site to anyone who wants to challenge themselves and work with some of the most talented developers on the coast.
Pros
location and tools were amazing
Cons
a reliance on contractual employment can lead to a loss of production expertise.
Multi-cultural diverse work environment
International Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 19, 2017
I had worked in the International team for many years and had great opportunity to learn many different cultures and people from all over the world. It was always busy since I was not only working with people in the same time zone but also managing the team in overseas. Achieving the goals with various teams was always hardest part of the project but at the same time that was the most fun and rewarding part of the project.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay
Cons
work-life balance depending on job
Poor Management
Badging Officer & Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 26, 2017
As a Badging officer at Microsoft I was given additional tasks and duties of an Account Manager and with the rate I was given with only 40 hours a week wasn't worth it. I find it impossible if one was given badging duties for an entire division while being given account management duties with just eight hours in a day. If I were being compensated with a higher rate on salary I would've given a better opinion.
Pros
Steady Schedule
Cons
Compensation, Management, Organization, Leadership
Diverse company with fantastic growth and advancement potential
Senior IT Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WA, USFebruary 4, 2017
I have enjoyed a number of varied positions while continuing work for Microsoft. The ability to work with and learn from different teams and learn about entirely different markets and technology domains is both a challenge and opportunity that excites me.

The culture also continues to evolve, making it a more focused and eternally competitive organization.
Pros
Highly competent workforce, multiple career trajectories, wonderful benefits
Cons
Can be very demanding and fast-paced
working with the Management, the team and the assignments were state of the art as well as how fast the dev teams responded to neccessary work
Brillio LLC - Support Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 17, 2017
my experience while working at MSFT on misc assignments was a great experience. Most the Management (Kevin Natale, and Lesa Boulton to mention a couple) cared for their employess, they wanted and did everything they could to help one succeed and would go out of the way to help. unfortunately politics and upper Mgt (unknown) did no do the same for many people.However, this is everywhere. But, overall the experience was great and very entertaining.
Pros
Management, Groups, teams and tools...state of the art.
Cons
Budgeting teams cut people when I am confident they could of kept employees busy.
Fun place to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHJanuary 6, 2017
The company really takes care of their employees! As a manager I was responsible for sales and employee development. Had to manage risk, inventory control, schedule, and provide customer service. Hardest part of the job was handling busy weekends with an overload of traffic and not having enough employees to service them. Best part of the job was working with passionate employees and having the company care about you as a person not as an employee.
Pros
Free Lunch, time off, free product
Cons
retail hours, understaffed at times
Great company! While it lasted...
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 3, 2017
Microsoft was a great place to work with really motivated and intelligent people. I found that the company culture was laid back and diverse. I learned a lot off of Excel and streamlining some of the operations. The biggest drawback was the budget cuts that ended up laying off people quickly. These decisions tend to be top-down and came with little or no lead time. Vendors seemed to be used a lot to avoid paying out benefits as MS is notoriously known for. I would have liked to stay longer as there were great people on my team, but that was just not in the cards.
Pros
Smart co-workers, diversity, work-from-home, cafeteria
Cons
Budget-focused, bureaucratic, work-life balance
Great Networking
Presenter (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 29, 2016
Love meeting people always looking for more career opportunities, able to travel on regular basis as well as get to know people from all over the world. Have to be flexible during work hours and value teamwork. Very good environment that allows you to be yourself and grow your professional skills
Pros
Snacks, accommodating schedule, access to innovative technology
Cons
Better transportation to deal with traffic, resources to move from contractor to FTE
Hit or a Miss
Learning Specialist (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 15, 2017
This company is really great. Management, not so much. Management sucks. I've met about 5 managers that were top notch in my 5 years working there, and they fired 4 of them. Culture is currently getting diluted from the purity of what it once was, which is why I left. It was leaving the ideas of "people matter" and turning to "how much can I churn out for the most money". Which pretty much killed work life balance. To be fair I did work in the retail sector but it used to be a lot better. Now I say stay FAR away, unless you get into Corporate.
Pros
Benefits, Morale Events, Visits to Corporate, Team
Cons
Mangers Harass and Micromanage, NO Work Life Balance, Reports to HR about Racial, Religous, or Social Prejudice are seen as you stirring trouble, HR Protects the manager not you.
Fantastic and Supportive Company
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 17, 2017
Microsoft is a wonderful company to work for. It was a highly enjoyable and educational experience. You truly have a sense that the company cares about it's employees, and the culture is one of high expectations, "WOW" experiences, and the sense that the company is making powerful and valued changes throughout the world. While I worked on the retail side of things, I felt engaged and an important part of the company. I loved interacting and helping customers find the best fit for them and their computer/gaming/technology needs. It's great to be able to educate others on a product I believed in.
Pros
Fantastic culture, product, and customer focused company. Great benefits
Cons
Potentially difficult ladder and advancement opportunities.
Good company in a demanding industry
HR Associate & HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 26, 2016
Microsoft is a very good company to work for in terms of gaining experience and having a decent opportunity to advance in career. Certain pockets are more progressive than others when taking a risk on an unknown quantity. Certain pockets have more healthy culture than others. There is little work-life balance yet excellent benefits and the relative security of a steady paycheck. Due to the high level of change internally (vision, management, employee turn-over etc.) it can be difficult feeling like you're always on the verge or in the middle of getting to know a new team or manager because of all the re-organization that seems to be the one constant.
Vendor Contractor
Program Manager (Consulting) (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 2, 2017
I have about 6 more months to go on an 18-month contract as a Vendor Consultant, and i have truly enjoyed working with all of the team members I have had the opportunity to work with. They are bright, creative, fun and very practical in their approach to collaboration and problem-solving.
Pros
Quality of Staff, Expertise, Flexibliity
Cons
Hard to get people to focus to get the job done with multiple competing priorities.
Good to learn
Adobe and McAfee - Software Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAJanuary 7, 2017
Jobs have great opportunities to learn and grow your skillset. However, the high pressure demand of day to day is very stressfull. Teams get eliminated and restructured all the time so you'll need to be prepared to grow your skills quickly and make yourself an asset to be able to move into other areas of business. It's not stable by any means unless you are a blue badge. They do awesome activities (holiday's, decorating, team building, ect) that I've not seen matched by any other company. My kids always loved Halloween on campus because they could trick or treat each level of the building, go through the haunted house and decorate cup cakes in the cafeteria. We looked forward to that each year. :)
Pros
Training
Cons
Lots of hours, long term (2+yrs) roles are unlikely
Not for all
AssemblyTech (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJanuary 27, 2017
I worked through temp agent "Kelly" so my review might be different than others. Everything is discouraging except clean environment. Non-permanent employees are treated like trash. Uncertainty is a common word I can say. Monday 8 hours work, Tuesday no work then Wednesday 10 hours and Thursdays receives email "closed". It is not good place for temporary workers at all and Kelly Service does not treat fairly and equally. Be careful to work for Kelly. Some stations are fun to work and some are boring. Heavy pressure from lead and supervisor. Overall, I won't recommend to work as temporary employee. You will be promised long time contract but will be terminated shortly and irresponsibly. Hope innocent employees are saved from vicious staffing agent.
Pros
Cowokers
Cons
Staffing agent and comapany
Exciting and Dynamic
Sales Readiness Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRDecember 12, 2016
Travel around the world and/or region to engage partners in order to develop channels and grow ROI. Manage your own schedule and get to work with a diverse group of individuals. The most enjoyable part is getting the opportunity develop partners and see the results reflected in growth in business.
Pros
Travel, Dynamic, Diversed, Well compensated.
Cons
limited outplacement support for contracted employees
A unique and highly educational experience!
Windows Surface QA - Battery Division (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 6, 2016
Working at Microsoft was an amazing experience. I got to see some of the latest and greatest computer technology, and learn from experts who have worked in the fields of business and computer technology for decades. However, while the schedule was flexible, I always felt like there were unspoken expectations to work far longer hours than previous jobs I've had.
Productive and Fun Work Place Environment
Consumer Product Advisor (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Microsoft is very supportive with being flexible with scheduling, working with students and making sure they are being and feel supported. Microsoft also cares for their employees, benefits are outstanding for part-time and full-time. Coming into work is so exciting for me, were one big family!
Pros
Benefits, Advancement, Build Experience
productive and team and family enviroment
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 26, 2017
This was one of the best place i've ever worked at because i felt like i was home and enjoyed helping customers.The manager were not on top of you as other companies and gave me the freedom to do my job and help customers in giving them great customer service.
Pros
free sodas and snacks
Cons
weren't really attentive in moving people up in the workplace

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2